Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The official Christmas FM thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Been hearing a good mix of songs when I've been tuning in and haven't heard any one song too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Good mix on the drive hone, but have noticed 'Frosty the Snowman' by Jimmy Durante is getting a lot of air play the last few days.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I seem to remember that it got played quite a lot last year and indeed the year before. Last year, it was overshadowed by the horror that was Dolly Parton's version of Holly Jolly Christmas! I would not mind now if I did not hear Jimmy Durante again for the rest of this run!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I could listen to the I want a hippo for Christmas. It’s such a cheerful song

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

• Advertisement

Heard Barry Manilows' Christmas is just around the corner' this morning which is one that gets little play but I've grown to like over the last couple of years.

Heard the goo goo dolls last night too, so thats two off my list. Still haven't heard The Darkness, Queen or Robbie Williams yet though.

Was on site in Newbridge this morning & my god was it the perfect weather for Christmas FM and a drive to work.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Like those two songs by Barry Manilow and the Goo Goo Dolls myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Heard Christmas Shoes last night..puke!

Far too religious for me.

I would not class it as particularly religious. There are some other Christmas songs played on Christmas FM that would be that bit more religious. Anyway, the main religious songs would be on their sister online station Christmas Carols. That aside, I happen to like that song a little bit. From reading previous posts over the years here, I think people's main objection to the song is the general story and tone of the song, rather than a specific religious angle. It always generates some comments every year! It was overshadowed last year by the almost universal disproval of Dolly Parton's Holly Jolly Christmas which got a heck of lot of airplay on the station!!

Was the last song I heard on my way back from site, awful stuff.

• Advertisement

Shoes, Dolly, hippo, with least favourite first............

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

I like christmas carols, they are soulful.

I dislike Christmas Shoes because the song is about a dying mother and the child is indoctrined in religion that they want her looking beautiful for Jesus. It's making out like Jesus is some King we need to kiss the feet of.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

To be fair, if you believe in Jesus, surely you'd want to make a bit of an effort for him! 😁

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I agree with all of these. The beach boys are grating on me over the past couple of years they seem to be played once a hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I still haven't heard The Darkness, or Baby It's Cold Outside and prob a few others that I'm forgetting about. I know some stations banned It's Cold Outside, but do Christmas FM still play it? I quite liked the Tom Jones/Cerys Matthews version.

I think I've only heard Stop the Cavalry once, which I know is technically not a proper Christmas song...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I haven't heard Baby it's cold outside in about 3 or 4 years now on ChristmasFM that song is cancelled sadly.

I thought I heard Stop the Cavalry but not sure if that was the online version or FM version of ChristmasFM.

I was sure I head Baby it's cold outside a few days ago however could have been on another station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pigtail33

They played Stop the Cavalry 15 mins or so after this! Maybe we're being watched...

I love Stop the Cavalry! 🙂

They are currently playing Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer... the line "you can say there's no such thing as Santa..." bugs me every time. I'd censor that over FONY or Baby it's Cold Outside. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

Has it been played this year yet, I have not heard it and have been listening out for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

The hippo song definitely been played this year. I flipping hate it.

I heard two versions of Merry Christmas Darling over the last few days - the first by the Carpenters and the second by Christina Perry. Both are great. Another Christmas FM gem(s) that gets played every so often. I also heard an interesting cover of I Wish It Could be Christmas Everyday this evening. I don't know who was singing, but I think the presenter was Bernie Jameson. I thought the cover was a breath of fresh air after being brow-beaten with the original by Wizzard for decades!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Anyone heard Annie Lennox Winter Wonderland yet? I gave it a blast on YouTube a couple of times this morning it just popped into my head I love it

Ed Sheeran and Elton played a good bit but I don’t mind, it give me nostalgic vibes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

The song competition closes today at 6pm

I've voted for Mulled - (I know the 2 lads)

Get your vote registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Becks22

That's a good song....catchy

I voted for them Song A !!

Holly Dolly Christmas alert! 😂😂

Whoever was in the early morning slot before the breakfast show was on form today, a great mix of songs, including Queen's 'Thank god its christmas'

really enjoyed it on the way in.

Only caught a quick bit this morning dropping kids off however the two presenters were in great form. To paraphrase 'We haven't a clue what we are doing however we are having fun!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Have not heard Christmas Shoes in a few years. Excellent result. Awful sh*te.

Had Christmas FM on in the background most of the weekend. Has been mostly good. 'All alone for Christmas' has really grown on me the last few years.

Advertisement