Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is boards.ie ok with violence? Homelessness on Accom and Prop Forum

Options
  • 28-06-2019 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

So based on reports I made of posts in the past and then a thread I started here (now archived):
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108463392
    It feels like no moderation action happens on posts I raise about homelessness on the Accommodation & Property.

Based on your feedback on the thread I posted on this board... well
    It looks to me like there will be no action taken on all 3 points.

As you have been represented by the Mods, Admin and Community Manager, I cannot think of anywhere else to go about it.

Today Graham just cut lumps out of a post I made to it:
    this post:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110554580&postcount=259
    I took a screengrab when I noticed Graham that was a second edit after being done:
    -- start screen
    483849.png
    -- end screen

but then like.. posts advocating violence against homeless people are just skipped over..
    like this one which is just two posts previous:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110518007#post110518007
    screen:
    -- start screen
    483850.png
    -- end screen

Is that something boards.ie is just cool with now?

To me the situation is a bit strange in that:
    • there's a lot of activity from the moderators in the thread towards my posts versus any others at all that I can see
    • the moderators in the thread seem to be actively posting against people in homelessness
    • I just gave an example post advocating violence above that just seems to be skipped over.
    • there's at least one other post advocating violence above that has been skipped over by the moderators
    • I feel I cannot report posts and previously my takeaway was that you were going to do nothing about anything to do with this issue

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mod on A&P here - you have been warned repeatedly not to paste blocks of text and link dumps in that thread. If Graham hadn't cut the section out I would have deleted the entire post and possibly given you an infraction for continuing to link dump.

You haven't reported any post on A&P for as long as I've been a mod, so what basis do you have for objecting about moderation of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

A&P has, in certain threads, become as toxic as the worst parts of After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

L1011 wrote: »
    Mod on A&P here - you have been warned repeatedly not to paste blocks of text and link dumps in that thread. If Graham hadn't cut the section out I would have deleted the entire post and possibly given you an infraction for continuing to link dump.

You haven't reported any post on A&P for as long as I've been a mod, so what basis do you have for objecting about moderation of it?

Like in the thread, you skipped over a violence post and are focusing on my post.

You are the other mod of the two:
    moderators in the thread seem to be actively posting against people in homelessness

You were definitely around for when I raised the last thread here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The Accommodation & Property forum is a platform for discussion. You are welcome to discuss almost any relevant topic but there is an expectation that some of what you post is your own, and that you participate in the discussion that follows (at least occasionally).

You have been asked at least twice in this thread alone to stop the monthly mega-link-dump/news-clippings posts:
    If you want to link dump, start a blog.
    Provide some analysis or get a blog instead, link dumping is not acceptable as you've been told before.

You also received this advice in your previous Help Desk thread:
    It might be worth engaging with the subject and other users rather than posting a lot of links and expecting others to "discuss" without any personal input or thoughts from yourself.

As your most recent post included 2 charts with 1 sentence of your own analysis, these elements were left in place. The link dumps and content duplicated from previous posts were snipped.

Homelessness is an important subject and certainly worthy of discussion, either in A & P or one of the other related forums.

Discussion is the key here.

If you are looking for a noticeboard to host your monthly newsletter, I don't think A & P is the right place for your post.

Again, skipped over the violence posts and focusing on my post.

Graham: you are making boards.ie discussion impossible by taking a side, not moderating that side and being active in moderating against the other side.

My post was mostly all analysis and discussion. You'll not find any of that content in the document I was pulling the information from. Even the charts have to made and as in the latest post kept an eye on and summarised so they don't get too wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Considering its my post you brought into this ,

At no state have I advocated violence against homeless people , women or kids ,
    But as someone who's regularly posted in A&P covering various topics from landlords Vs tenants to government inaction and so on ,even when it came at time uncomfortable at least people actually discussed their issues and life went on ,we either agree or disagree but that's life ,
    Your threads about homelessness are your personal soap box ,look at my pretty charts ,look at these tweets from other people and yet you have blatantly ignored people challenges for you to discuss or give some opinion on how to solve the housing supply issues .

I believe this thread is another attempt at soapboxing and demanding a poster namely me face mod actions using your click bait thread title,

Totally disrespectful and dishonest on your behalf.

Graham above clearly explained the mod decisions against your personal blog style posts

Slydice wrote: »
    Again, skipped over the violence posts and focusing on my post.

Mods don't read all posts, you have been around long enough to know this.

If you don't report a post, you cannot be surprised when/if no action is taken.

Graham: you are making boards.ie discussion impossible by taking a side, not moderating that side and being active in moderating against the other side.

As your posts are entirely cut & paste 3rd party content, I have no idea what your 'side' is.

Whatever your side is, you are more that welcome to discuss it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You have still failed to report any posts that you consider there to be violence in

My post was mostly all analysis and discussion

Here is the entirety of the sections that were snipped:

As repeated on every one of your monthly posts:
    The latest report does not have commentary where previous reports did. They used to include:
    The long term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes
    or:
    The root cause of increased homelessness is the supply shortage across the housing sector, which in turn is a result of the recent economic collapse and the associated damage to the construction sector. Accordingly the long-term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes.

Link Dump:

Recent Media articles on Homelessness:

Using hotels for homeless families has ‘destructive impact’ on children
    Children in emergency accommodation not developing properly, says report
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/using-hotels-for-homeless-families-has-destructive-impact-on-children-1.3921069
    More about the Report: ‘Temporary’ hotels have devastating effects on homeless families
    https://www.gold.ac.uk/news/homeless-families-hotel-impact/

Homeless hostel in Dublin city centre set to close
    https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2019/0625/1057519-hostel/

Landlords selling a private rental property one of the main drivers of family homelessness in Dublin
    The research from homeless charity Focus Ireland examines family homelessness in Dublin.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/homeless-families-8-4680518-Jun2019/

Again, mostly the mods acting as if they don't see the post screenshot.

Then the poster of the post saying it doesn't contain what it literally there in the screengrab contains.

This is so wierd.
    posts advocating violence against homeless people are just skipped over..
    like this one which is just two posts previous:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110518007#post110518007
    screen:
    -- start screen
    483850.png
    -- end screen

Anything on the violence being advocated in that post at all?

• Advertisement

Anything on the violence being advocated in that post at all?

I can tell you the post has been reviewed. If action were necessary, it was taken. Sometimes these actions are visible on post, other times they are not.

If you have an issue with a post, report it. If you haven't reported it, you have no grounds for complaint.

So back to the real issue. Your monthly newsletter/links dumps.

Are you going to change the nature of your posts and participate in the discussion that follows?

Graham, what discussion do you want from me?
    It's coming up on three years of posting from me on the two threads (one, two) about it.

Is there some discussion you think is missing my input?
    What particular discussion is it that you think needs more input from me on?
    You want me to go in and tell people advocating violence to stop and debate them or something?

Homelessness hurts children.
    Homelessness is bad full stop.
    The UN, The Childrens Ombudsman, Independent Organisations have all said this.

I've included this in previous posts.

The solution is to increase the supply of housing.
    This was in previous reports I linked to so I keep it in the new posts.

When I see something I notice is new, I add it. For example, in the latest post:
    Summary
    This is the first time I noticed that the number of Adults with Children in Homelessness seems to be rising faster than just Adults.
    and then connected that to something I previously noticed:
    This reminded me of the start of the October 2018 post:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108755665&postcount=11
    "In Europe, the rate is much lower where women typically account for between 20% and 33% of the homeless population"
    "research found that 66% of homeless families in Ireland are headed by lone parents, most of whom are women"

You want me to go discuss about how you cut lumps out of my post with the poster who advocated violence?
    (two posts after my post that you cut lumps out of)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110555146#post110555146
    Gatling wrote: »
    Maybe -
    One persons social media dumps about homelessness not on the rise .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Again I'm not advocating use of violence on anyone ,

Mods can we at least change the click bait thread title

Is there some discussion you think is missing my input?

Perfect, I see your misunderstanding now.

A & P is a discussion forum.

If you don't want to discuss, it's probably not the appropriate place to dump your input :)

Graham, I contribute to discussion on the Accommodation & Property. Definitely not just the Homelessness thread.

You talked about the Homelessness discussions so I guessed you were asking about the Homelessness thread.

If I didn't know better, it looks like your post there is just trolling.

Excluding your monthly 'newsletter' dump and a request for more homeless thread tags, here is your contribution in the last year:
    I lived close enough to a chipper once. Not within the smell zone.

Had to walk past it on the way home from pints tho!!!

Awe ladz, would ye stop!

It's not your lack of general participation that's at issue. We have thousands of occasional posters.

You are quite different to every other occasional poster. You post your monthly newsletter and feck off until the next month. You don't discuss the content, you won't answer questions about it, there is absolutely no interaction with other posters on the thread what so ever.

You literally fly in, do your monthly dump and run.

It might be tolerable if your news-dump encouraged stimulating debate about homelessness. It doesn't. Far, far from it.

Go and have a read of the 409 posts in the current thread. When you've read them all, you will understand why the thread is on borrowed time.

My posts are definitely not News Dumps. I do read the thread.

I used to participate more in the thread. Little moderation was applied to it and it became a discussion "Far, far from it". It's not like I didn't make post reports.

Then the first discussion was locked.

Then I continued contributing to the accomodation and property forum by starting the second one. Issues immediately arose and I raised these issues on this help desk thread here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108463392

This is what that looked like to me at the end:
    Ok, that looks like clarification.

It looks to me like there will be no action taken on all 3 points.

As you have been represented by the Mods, Admin and Community Manager, I cannot think of anywhere else to go about it.

So, I'm not sure what the thinking around that outcome was
    but
    It looks like it has lead to you having a similar opinion yourself:
    Graham wrote: »
    Go and have a read of the 409 posts in the current thread. When you've read them all, you will understand why the thread is on borrowed time.

Which of the discussions you say is putting the thread on "borrowed time" do you want me to add too?

In the posts I make, I raise other discussion points.

Your last post in Help Desk was essentially the same as this one all be it you've added a "nobody did anything about the thread I didn't report which must mean boards.ie officially supports the content of the thread" angle.

You've been asked multiple times to stop the news/link dump and participate in the conversation about homelessness if that's your topic. You've done neither.

I genuinely don't see what else I can tell you.

You are welcome to join the conversation in A & P on the same basis as every other poster should you so choose.

• Advertisement

You are well able to put words I haven't said into my mouth while not answering questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement