Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homelessness on Accomodation & Property Forum

Options
  • 26-10-2018 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

Any chance of some clarification about Homelessness on the Accomodation & Property Forum?

Three things:
    1. A thread Prefix for Homelessness.
      Thread Prefixes have been introduced to the board. I am guessing this was done at the Admin level as an admin has been sorting the thread for it:
      https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057903114
      Some of them are used a lot. Some are used very little. For example '[Moving to Ireland]' has only 1 thread and '[PROMOTION]' has only 2. I asked on the thread almost 2 months ago for a '[Homelessness]' thread Prefix and followed up asking for an update about 1 month but so far, all I have gotten back is a Thanks from the admin on my original request.
    2. The original 'Homelessness on the rise' thread:
      https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057643605&page=71
      This thread has been closed for review for almost a month. The government homelessness reports have continued to come out though so now I have started a second thread to give updates on the government homelessness reports. Can you give an update about this thread?
    3. The second 'Homelessness on the rise' thread:
      https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057923078
      As I said, the government homelessness reports have continued so I started a second thread. The first few replies went directly to engage the 'op' but not the post. I made a report yesterday but so far there has been silence. Can you give an update about this thread? The content of my report is below. I did not report multiple posts as I have previously been told that It is not necessary to report every single post in a thread.

The report: (I have added BBCode to make it easier to read here. There was no BBCode buttons on the report screen)
    Have you seen this and the other replies on this thread

Surely, there's some moderating needing to be done Basic stuff like.
    From the Newbie & FAQ forum
    https://www.boards.ievbulletinshowthread.phpt=2056307178
    Attack the post, never the poster. In other words, don't make it personal. If you wish to debate a topic or rebut a statement, insulting any boards.ie user will only get you in trouble. You are free to have a go a their argument. You are not free to have a go at them.

From the boards.ie guidelines
    https://www.boards.ievbulletinfaq.phpfaq=bie_faq_guidelines
    Don't abuse people personally

It’s not big and it’s not clever. If you can’t convey your point without abusing someone personally then you don’t have a point to make and perhaps you should close your browser and come back when you are calmer. Not only will you have had the benefit of cooling off if something’s caused your blood to boil, you’re a lot more likely to make a far more incisive, killer point. The great joy of this platform is that you don’t have to answer something immediately; you have time to construct your point and de-construct any arguments against your point.

You either are an adult or you are aspiring to become one. This isn’t a crèche and if we have had to invoke this rule to stop you from abusing someone, and you feel like we are treating you like a child, you might want to consider why that is.

This site is for a wide variety of civil, adult discussion. Personally abusing someone is immature. Grow up.

I'm guessing nothing has been done so far because nobody has reported any of the posts yet.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,522 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you contacted any of the local mods to discuss this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well, I posted on the admin thread and just got a Thank from the admin but no reply.

The first thread has been locked and under review for 25 days.

Then I reported a post on the second thread a day ago and so far it's been silence.

I wasn't sure I'd get a reply here. It feels a bit wierd.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,522 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's an issue in connection with a specific forum. The first avenue is to discuss with the local mods.

Ok, can you suggest which one?

Here's the list of mods:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=38
    Forum Mods: Graham, kceire, L1011, Michael D Not Higgins, Paulw, The_Conductor, ToxicPaddy
    Category Mods: Big Bag of Chips, bluewolf, Neyite, Pat Mustard

The admin, mike_ie, is not part of the list. I'm not sure if mike_ie is part of the group but you are saying mods so I'm guessing maybe not.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mike_ie isn't a mod, he was just posting as an admin as it's the admins who can set the thread prefixes.

So you should PM the set of regular mods listed to discuss the issue.

• Advertisement

Ok, I'm guessing that means just the forum mods and not the category mods as well.

I've just sent a PM with the three headings above and a link to the the first post here to: Graham, kceire, L1011, Michael D Not Higgins, Paulw, The_Conductor, ToxicPaddy

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Slydice wrote: »
    Well, I posted on the admin thread and just got a Thank from the admin but no reply.

The first thread has been locked and under review for 25 days.

Then I reported a post on the second thread a day ago and so far it's been silence.

I wasn't sure I'd get a reply here. It feels a bit wierd.

To clarify my position on the thread prefixes, as I'm the one who set them up (and I believe thanked your post):

The existing thread prefixes were discussed and decided by the local mods and Cmods - I simply created them in the system. From my perspective, if thread prefixes are to be amended or new ones added, that's a decision that should come from the local level and discussed amongst the local mods - it would be beyond my remit to add or delete thread prefixes without it coming from the local mod team.

As an update:
    • Only 2 of the 7 moderators have come back.
      Both appeared to just be representing themselves and not the rest.
      The messages I got in the replies felt mixed.
    • mike_ie also replied above suggesting the mods and cmods were more the decision makers.

From this, I think:
    • the issue is still unclear after attempting the first avenue of discussing with the local mods
    • it looks like there is a blurring of who can/should answer this from among the mods/cmods/admins

Would there now be a next avenue to try or would you be able to give some clarification about Homelessness on the Accomodation & Property Forum?

It might help to give an indication to the mods/cmods/admins (here or by PMing them) about who can/should answer.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hi Slydice,

I posted in the A&P mods forum about this, so they should be aware of their roles in this, and similar discussions. I agree that the avenue of discussion for now is to follow up with the local mods - while you are doing so, I'll make them aware of this topic as something that should be discussed here and in their mods forum.

Ok, I'll wait and see.

• Advertisement

Do you know if there has been any update about this?

So far, I've had one additional moderator contact me and again they appeared to just be representing themselves and not the rest.

Do you know if there has been an update about this?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi Slydice,
    There will be no new thread prefix added, at least for the moment. There aren't enough threads discussing the issue to warrant adding another prefix to the list. If other users start adding discussions about homelessness in the future, the mods can review the decision then.

With regard to the two 'homelessness' threads you started, I'd imagine the first one will remain closed since you went ahead and started a new, second one.

I presume that since you have reported a post(s) in the second thread that the mods have reviewed those and taken whatever steps they deem necessary. Sometimes no action is what is deemed necessary. The mods are not obliged to give any updates about action taken or not taken on foot of a reported post, they have enough to do without replying to everyone who has reported a post.
    It might be worth engaging with the subject and other users rather than posting a lot of links and expecting others to "discuss" without any personal input or thoughts from yourself.

Ok, that looks like clarification.

It looks to me like there will be no action taken on all 3 points.

As you have been represented by the Mods, Admin and Community Manager, I cannot think of anywhere else to go about it.

Advertisement