Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you upset a seller where they write you off

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Snorlaxx wrote: »
    you call it Interesting, others would call it creepy, angry ex-girl/boy friend creepy ;)

Dont you like to watch?!?!?!? Its like dogging but with a property negotiation.

The seller has some cahones!!!! 180k for Rice Park!!!

160k at best for a Terraced house in Waterford, plus you have to do the back garden.

clarsax wrote: »

You can fix it up fairly fast with insulation. Rock wool and foam in the walls is cheap for the value it gives.
    Its well over priced for the market. 160K would be no insult. Throw in an offer and let it sit OP. In a few more months it will look like a common sense offer, maybe even over priced after February.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Yea that's the one, good bit of work to be done to it i.e adding the bathroom, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

No 65 (similar) sold in 2018 for €150k and the market hasn’t moved much since then, definitely no more than 5%. It’s also only 65sqm so it’s quite small for the price. I’d say fair value is around €155k-€160k.

€179k seems way overpriced!

No, its in Rice park.
    Are you the agent :rolleyes: ....... or owner :D:D

Neither lol, just trying to help ya out! Hard to do that unless I know the exact one

• Advertisement

Smouse156 wrote: »
    Neither lol, just trying to help ya out! Hard to do that unless I know the exact one

You think pinewood is a better deal? Houses are abt 40 years old I think.

Yea that's the one, good bit of work to be done to it i.e adding the bathroom, etc

So you buy it for 160k and 5k for insulation (whole house, rock wool and foam) and another 15k for the bathroom (assuming using proper tradesmen and an extension) So that means the house is worth €180k? I dont think so. This is overpriced for the market, the owner is not desperate to sell and the estate agent has it over priced. If you dont have time to mess with this deal try somewhere else.

Nothing wrong with a mature estate!! semi detached, lovely back yard with sheds and properly priced for the market to see with only the Aluminium windows to change. Much better priced to sell.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-1-pinewood-avenue-hillview-co-waterford/2843815

Pinewood is also overpriced. They’re probably pricing off the fact that 49 sold for €170k, however, that unit had an extension off the side. I would say that is only worth €150-€160k.

There is one in Sherlock Walk that seems best priced (also €179k), however, I am not familiar with Waterford at all. I’m only estimating based on similar sales and unit sizes.

What are your thoughts on this place?

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-54-carn-glas-way-gracedieu-co-waterford/2627414

Its seems like a real attractive place especially with the 3(possibly 4 floors if you convert the attic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

You can report the advert
    BER tbc is not legal
    All property ads must have a BER RATING and a BER number attached

What are your thoughts on this place?

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-54-carn-glas-way-gracedieu-co-waterford/2627414

Its seems like a real attractive place especially with the 3(possibly 4 floors if you convert the attic)

Can’t open link! Describe please, price, name so I can check it

Can’t open link! Describe please, price, name so I can check it

54 Carn Glas, Just outside Waterford city. ASking price 209k. No 54 Carn Glas Way

Its on the waterford banks of the suir up river. Has a town bus Route (still think you would need a car). Still greenfields. New build of about 12 years ago.
    5 Beds 4 bathrooms. Looks like a new build townhouse in the country side.

Nice paved yard out the back, could be converted back to a Garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

For what it's worth, I currently live in a 3 storey house like that and it's a pain in the a*** living over 3 floors. Always terrified of the kids going flying.

54 Carn Glas, Just outside Waterford city. ASking price 209k. No 54 Carn Glas Way

Its on the waterford banks of the suir up river. Has a town bus Route (still think you would need a car). Still greenfields. New build of about 12 years ago.

Hard to say, 122sqm is the size of a 3-bed house so it must be a very tight 5-bed!
    In terms of price, number 13, a smaller unit over 2 floors achieved €144k last month so I wouldn’t say they’re miles off. Probably worth 190k

Hard to say, 122sqm is the size of a 3-bed house so it must be a very tight 5-bed!
    In terms of price, number 13, a smaller unit over 2 floors achieved €144k last month so I wouldn’t say they’re miles off. Probably worth 190k

Another thing is "Waterford". Its a tough place to get a job unless you are family or in some sort of clique. Limited career and education opportunities due to history with industry. That is what limits house prices in Waterford.

Another thing is "Waterford". Its a tough place to get a job unless you are family or in some sort of clique. Limited career and education opportunities due to history with industry. That is what limits house prices in Waterford.

Probably the only county in the country with “value for money” in relation to houses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Caranica wrote: »
    When we were selling we got one offer that was clearly insulting (from a neighbour) and I refused to take any further offers from them. Depends on how desperate the seller is to sell.

Bad move on your part. It's a business transaction, that's all. They don't care that it's your much loved home.

They could have eventually offered many multiples of the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

How do I approach this? Would I upset the seller by going say 10% lower?

There isnt alot wrong with the house but there is a good bit to be done i.e. build bathroom downstairs(theres only one in the 3 bedroom house), take out oil and put in gas, add insulation etc.

You have got to be kidding ... Right?

You ALWAYS haggle the sales price.

It is a negotiation. You drop they price, if seller is in strong position they say F*** Off... if they are not, then there is a bargain to be had.

NEVER offer the full price. Too many people do not bother negotiating.

I have never paid the asking price for any property... ever. I do my research check comps and then haggle like mad. If you want it be prepared to pay full ask. If you can feign indifference start a haggle.

Money is ALWAYS better in your pocket than in someone elses.

Probably the only county in the country with “value for money” in relation to houses

yes, true and in everything else not so much. I never had any family ties when I was there. I used to live next to the park in a fantastic apartment but couldnt get a job. You need balance. The Polar opposite of Waterford is Dublin but the housing is out of control.

• Advertisement

KaneToad wrote: »
    Bad move on your part. It's a business transaction, that's all. They don't care that it's your much loved home.

True but Time is also money. Dont waste your time with people who arent serious about buying or just chancing their arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

True but Time is also money. Dont waste your time with people who arent serious about buying or just chancing their arm.

Or, as in this case, the would be purchaser is a d*ck. It was absolutely the right call, the benefit of hindsight validates that position.

Caranica wrote: »
    Or, as in this case, the would be purchaser is a d*ck. It was absolutely the right call, the benefit of hindsight validates that position.

Exactly! you are going to spend sleepless nights awake if the prospective buyer is going to up their offer by 10 grand so you can get onto the next step of your life? Dont waste valuable time entertaining people who dont respect you.

You know what a house is worth so offer 5-10% lower and see how they respond. See where you meet. No point in try to haggle with someone who has over valued their property and isnt prepared to sell.

You need balance.

Funnily enough after following and commenting on your thread, I have found myself in a similar situation!

House has been on the market since September at least at 325K.
    EA says it had a sale fall through at 345, I'm not sure if that's since September or before.
    No other bids on it, vendors divorcing.
    Comparable properties sold for less on PPR this year.

Our actual budget is about 270 at a push right now.
    Could potentially get another bit from parents. Could chance an exemption?

OH reckons we throw in an offer in a week or two at 250 and see what happens ie negotiate up to X.
    I'm just wondering would they just tell us to F off or engage in a bit of to and fro.

What do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Squatman

Del2005 wrote: »
    Putting in a new bathroom is not the sellers problem, they are selling a 3 bed 1 bath, so you can't really reduce that from the offer. If you think it's worth €240k you can't drop off €10k for a bathroom. You have to offer €240k and then do your improvements.

no you dont. you can actually ...... drumrolll.... offer whatever you want to offer

Squatman wrote: »
    no you dont. you can actually ...... drumrolll.... offer whatever you want to offer

You need a balanced approached to bidding. Yes the market does decide most of the price. The seller has to price his property with 5% for the market average with a comparable house. Too high and it wont sell, too low and he sells short. Both parties have to be honest how much a house is and how much has to be paid and how much associated maintenance has to be done.

A serious bidder will always be coming inside of 90% of what it is worth. Someone bidding at 75% is not serious and is just messing with your head. Life is too short to be wasting on people who have no real intention of buying or just dreamers.

Now if you will excuse me I am going to offer 100k on a 4 bedroomed house in Dublin 4.

pooch90 wrote: »
    Funnily enough after following and commenting on your thread, I have found myself in a similar situation!

House has been on the market since September at least at 325K.
    EA says it had a sale fall through at 345, I'm not sure if that's since September or before.
    No other bids on it, vendors divorcing.
    Comparable properties sold for less on PPR this year.

Our actual budget is about 270 at a push right now.
    Could potentially get another bit from parents. Could chance an exemption?

What do you reckon?

Cant say without seeing the house.
    There is a possibility one or both parties are dreaming. EA will tell you anything he thinks you are stupid enough to believe, that is his job to sell the house at the highest price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

KaneToad wrote: »

Really? Many multiples of the asking price? I don't think you know what multiples are.

Cant say without seeing the house.
    There is a possibility one or both parties are dreaming. EA will tell you anything he thinks you are stupid enough to believe, that is his job to sell the house at the highest price.

Haha, that's very true! I don't want to share the house online. But its in a rural area outside a village. Demand wouldn't be very high in the area for commuting etc. Majority of houses selling are in the mid 200s. It's a high spec 4 bed house, fully turn key with a lot of potential to convert attic into another 3 or 4 bedrooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

That's a nice house but it's a long way from the river bank. And the EA's interpretation of walking distance is pretty generous.

Advertisement