Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I had a routine to turn on my heating. "Hey Google, I'm cold" to turn it on. "Hey Google, I'm too warm" to turn it off. Worked fine up to a month ago. I found out it had stopped working after this exchange:
    "Hey Google, I'm too warm"
    "Maybe you should go for a swim".

Wait til it starts turning your heating on when you say other random things to it.

Yesterday I said "hey google, turn on the Kitchen light"
    Google replied. "ok turning on 8 outlets". It turned on everything except the lights. I had to go around the house to figure out what was now on that shouldnt be because i cant trust google anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Anyone else's broadcast facility gone to pot?
    We say to a speaker "Hey Google broadcast to (speakers name)" and it doesn't ask you what the message is and just broadcasts nothing
    However,if you ask it just to broadcast it will broadcast to all speakers in the home perfectly Pretty useless if you only want to broadcast to ONE user

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Steve F wrote: »
    We say to a speaker "Hey Google broadcast to (speakers name)" and it doesn't ask you what the message is and just broadcasts nothing
    However,if you ask it just to broadcast it will broadcast to all speakers in the home perfectly Pretty useless if you only want to broadcast to ONE user

Yep, broadcast to all rooms now as it can't recognise certain rooms....then sometimes it won't even do that.

If it ain't broke why 'fix' it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Yep, broadcast to all rooms now as it can't recognise certain rooms....then sometimes it won't even do that.

If it ain't broke why 'fix' it.

To be honest my Google home assistants have never worked flawlessly there's always something not working right :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I had a routine to turn on my heating. "Hey Google, I'm cold" to turn it on. "Hey Google, I'm too warm" to turn it off. Worked fine up to a month ago. I found out it had stopped working after this exchange:
    "Hey Google, I'm too warm"
    "Maybe you should go for a swim".

All of my routines stopped working before Xmas, up until then they only worked on my Nest Hub Max but not the Minis.

Changed the language to English (UK) during the week and they’re back working again.

Regret buy google now, not user friendly and definitely not working as intended.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

A change to their support on Twitter (from @googlenest)

We’re packing things up here 📦 We’ll be taking all things Google Nest over to @madebygoogle on February 10. All you need to do is bring yourself, no packing tape required!

Steve F wrote: »

Yep.
    Useless now. Actually causes rows when broadcasts dont arrive, or an answer doesnt arrive. People think others are just ignoring them, when its google that is ignoring them.

Its so bad now i am trying to figure out a way to move specific items from being controlled by google home.
    Im sick of it turning on the central heating when i asked for something else.
    If only i could remove the central heating and a few other things from the google assistant voice service, so i just have to tap it on my phone that would be great. Then no danger of a voice command switching it on or off.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭EletricMan

Hi guys,

Anyone having trouble with Google not responding. I use it to stream a camera for the nursery but after ten minutes or so the stream stops and the hub max goes back to the clock, after this happens it won't respond to hey Google and I have to turn on and off the unit, actually it's starting to happen now too with Spotify. It's really becoming in user friendly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

BBC Radio dropping on me. I go off and brush my teeth, come back and it's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

BBC Radio dropping on me. I go off and brush my teeth, come back and it's gone.

I'm having that happen with Today FM, but bizarrely, usually only on days when it's really cold/windy out. Which makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

The broadcast feature is handy but it would be WAY better if it was possible to use 2 way communication! I wonder is the GH capable of that. I reckon so it has speakers and a microphone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The broadcast feature is handy but it would be WAY better if it was possible to use 2 way communication! I wonder is the GH capable of that. I reckon so it has speakers and a microphone

Duo calling works between devices
    https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9165631?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Be the holy god i didnt know anything about this. Just set it up now, and its great! I never knew it existed, saw google duo mentioned but thought it was a watsapp type thing. Thanks Robbie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Be the holy god i didnt know anything about this. Just set it up now, and its great! I never knew it existed, saw google duo mentioned but thought it was a watsapp type thing. Thanks Robbie!

It is cool, I have a 600 euro Harmon kardon google assistant speaker in one room, doesn't work with duo calling and harman have said they have no inclination of adding it :-(

A word of warning to those thinking about buying non Google made speakers.

Be very careful on that.
    My friend phoned me on the mobile last week to tell me he was listening to me on the google home for the last 10 minutes.
    Looks like i asked it to do something and it decided id said to call him.
    He sat there with his wife laughing and listening to use arguing in the house before he decided to phone and put us out of our misery. I wonder how many other people its called and let listen to us.
    I disconnected duo from it now anyway to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bossdrum

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Be very careful on that.
    My friend phoned me on the mobile last week to tell me he was listening to me on the google home for the last 10 minutes.
    He sat there with his wife laughing and listening to use arguing in the house before he decided to phone and put us out of our misery. I wonder how many other people its called and let listen to us.

Doesn't sound like much of a friend.
    He could have just hung up and told you about it after.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Be very careful on that.

Scary! When I ask a google home to ring another GH in another room . the receiver is told there is a call from my phone number. Bit awkward to call other GH's from the android with it. I only want it for internal GH to GH calls like an intercom system. I dont really like the way it has all my phone contacts in the duo app. Should you be able to use your Android phone and GH app to make calls to various GH speakers in your own home? IE you open your DUO app and click bedroom speaker call and you call that speaker on your android? I dont see any of my 3 GH speakers listed in the DUO interface to call at all just regular phone contacts

bossdrum wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like much of a friend.
    He could have just hung up and told you about it after.

Id have done it to him too tbf :)

Scary! When I ask a google home to ring another GH in another room . the receiver is told there is a call from my phone number. Bit awkward to call other GH's from the android with it. I only want it for internal GH to GH calls like an intercom system. I dont really like the way it has all my phone contacts in the duo app. Should you be able to use your Android phone and GH app to make calls to various GH speakers in your own home? IE you open your DUO app and click bedroom speaker call and you call that speaker on your android? I dont see any of my 3 GH speakers listed in the DUO interface to call at all just regular phone contacts

We only used it to call other rooms.
    But lately God knows who its called.
    It definitely called a random person from my contacts at least once, if not more times.
    And the worst thing is i didnt even know the line was open. Someone had to tell me it had called them and they could hear everything.
    Google home is so flaky since late last year. It used to be excellent, but you just cant trust it anymore.
    So we removed Duo from it.
    Also removed several sockets that i dont want going on by accident when google gets its knickers in a twist.
    Its backwards that google home is going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 chapterthree

Does anyone know when apple music will be available on the google nest audio? It was available in the UK a couple months ago but it still hasn't made an appearance here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Hey Google, play BBC Radio 2.

When you ask to pay a video, please say which screen you want to watch it on.

Hey Google, play BBC Radio 2 from BBC Sounds.

When you ask to pay a video, please say which screen you want to watch it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Any ideas where I can get a replacement charger for a google nest audio? Google don't sell spares and no luck finding a charger with the same specs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

Can only seem to find the USA version.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Google-Nest-Hub-Max-24V-1-25A-AC-Adapter-Power-Supply-Charger-W18-030N1A-/264754228907

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001741844843.html

It would work here with an adaptor as it can take 220v.

Is the exiting one lost or damaged?

Ryath wrote: »
    Can only seem to find the USA version.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Google-Nest-Hub-Max-24V-1-25A-AC-Adapter-Power-Supply-Charger-W18-030N1A-/264754228907

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001741844843.html

It would work here with an adaptor as it can take 220v.

Is the exiting one lost or damaged?

The new pup chewed it. I'll check out those above, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

Down South wrote: »
    The new pup chewed it. I'll check out those above, thanks

If he's only damaged the cable you could use some connectors to join it?

Ryath wrote: »
    If he's only damaged the cable you could use some connectors to join it?

It was a bit awkward as it was chewed up beside the plug. Got the local gadget guy to do a job on it today. Hopefully will keep working and in the meantime Ill keep an eye out for a replacement closer to home...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

Received my new nest hub today and am struggling with it. The touchscreen is working when flicking through the home screens but when I try to touch anything else nothing is responsive.

If I want to change photo frame I’m being directed back to manage personal results setting which I can’t find.

I also can’t find routines. I’m trying to set an alarm and have a radio station come on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

webpal wrote: »
    Received my new nest hub today and am struggling with it. The touchscreen is working when flicking through the home screens but when I try to touch anything else nothing is responsive.

If I want to change photo frame I’m being directed back to manage personal results setting which I can’t find.

I also can’t find routines. I’m trying to set an alarm and have a radio station come on
    It can be hit or miss in terms of responsiveness, it's not as good as a phone screen, but also sometimes it does nothing cause the action itself has nothing to do (eg call this number)
    Changing things for the photo frame etc is a mess, you basically will need to Google for a guide and hope that it's recent since they change the app layout/names/options all the time. Routines should be in the app somewhere too.
    "ok google, set a radio alarm" and let her ask the follow up questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

does anyone know if you can associate a routine to a button the screen ? i.e want to play radio at night but hate having to speak, just want a button press.

Advertisement