Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

pixelburp wrote: »
    And of course Chani isn't white, she's a member of a desert race that live on Arakis/Dune; it'd be stupider & weirder if she was played by some pasty white person.
    She lives in a cave system, and wears a full body suit when she goes outside. She should be pretty pale, actually. :)

I agree though that the obvious casting for the Fremen would be someone Middle Eastern. It doesn't make much sense having diverse Fremen - they seem like they should be a fairly insular and therefore homogeneous group, so while I don't care who they cast, it does bother me slightly that Chani and Stilgar are so unalike.

The guy claiming this is all woke and gender swapped is scratching around for something to be offended by though. There's no sign this is anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

mikhail wrote: »
    It does bother me slightly that Chani and Stilgar are so unalike.

What makes them so unalike?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

She lives in a cave system, and wears a full body suit when she goes outside. She should be pretty pale, actually. :)

I agree though that the obvious casting for the Fremen would be someone Middle Eastern. It doesn't make much sense having diverse Fremen - they seem like they should be a fairly insular and therefore homogeneous group, so while I don't care who they cast, it does bother me slightly that Chani and Stilgar are so unalike.

The guy claiming this is all woke and gender swapped is scratching around for something to be offended by though. There's no sign this is anything like that.

That's true enough re. Chani, though SciFi rarely has its underground dwelling races, tribes, or bunker groups pasty mole-people anyway, so given the strong Middle Eastern element of the Fremen, visually it make sense to default them as appearing non-white. But as you say, poster's trying to create a question to his answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

This has to be a pi$$ take. it's too funny not to be.
    Keep it coming kidchameleon, love your work...

Not at all and unfortunately its looking more and more likely that I am right...

Liet Kynes, a white male character (played previously by Max von Sydow) looks to have been played by a black woman (Sharon Duncan-Brewster) in Dune 2020...

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/07/29/exclusive-denis-villenueves-dune-film-to-gender-swap-liet-kynes/

So now not only do we have pandering to blacks, we also have pandering to feminists. I'm calling it now, Harkonin will NOT be homosexual in Dune 2020.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So now not only do we have pandering to blacks, we also have pandering to feminists. I'm calling it now, Harkonin will NOT be homosexual in Dune 2020.

Liet is not a major character, just a factotum. Nothing is lost in flipping the gender of someone who
    dies midway through book 1, which apparently is where the film will end
    . Nobody gives a crap about Liet Kynes lol.

And if you bothered reading the book you'd have noted that the middle eastern, non white influence is there on the page. Or maybe don't, cos all the references to jihad might make you have conniptions, and why let that get in the way of some hyperbole. Pandering. Would ya gway with that

Cannot confirm any of this but it seems legit...

Footage was shown to selected people and a trailer is due to land "soon"

https://cosmicbook.news/dune-footage-reactions-trailer

"-Cast looks phenomenal in their costumes.
    -The sets are ENORMOUS; same scope as BR2049 and ARRIVAL.
    -Mix of grimy realism and dreamlike imagery.
    -Timothée Chalamet as Paul looks excellent.
    -Rebecca Ferguson looks “eerie”.
    -Dave Bautista looks like a “monster” as the Beast.
    -Cinematography looks excellent."

The usual YouTubers are talking about it too. I have to say, this could well be epic.

(Slightly) more info here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P058nHj0i-o

He describes (with second hand information) some of the scenes in the footage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Kinda want that trailer to be "sooner" than "soon" :)

The utter lack of promotions has been patience testing. Though knowing the director I'm confident what we'll get will look the part anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Are the rumours that Billy Crystal will be voicing the Sand worms true ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Are the rumours that Billy Crystal will be voicing the Sand worms true ?

hahaha......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

some footage has been shown at a french film convention by warners

EPbCJrMWoAMy5rB?format=jpg&name=medium

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1221318270248054784?s=20

Gah! Come onnnnnnn trailer...

giphy.gif

Gah! Come onnnnnnn trailer...

giphy.gif

23rd December , trailer probably won't drop till the summer , maybe a teaser before

EOhFGCmWsAAsvuj?format=jpg&name=large

• Advertisement

Image of the official logo:

DUNE.jpg

*Note image may get taken down

MORE!

MOOORRRRRREEEE!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Hmmm Superbowl around the corner... ... seems like a good point to announce to the world something this large and Epic.

• Advertisement

from anton volkov who runs a trailer website 'TrailerTrack'

"I've been getting tons of questions about Dune, which has zero chance for two reasons," Volkov said, speaking of the Denis Villeneuve reboot of Frank Herbert's sci-fi classic. "The film isn't out until December, and I don't think we've ever seen a Super Bowl debut of the first footage for a film that far out. And secondly, it's Warner Bros. They haven't advertised at the Super Bowl for over a decade."

Volkov thinks Dune fans may have to wait for summer to get a peek at that film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

peteeeed wrote: »

And there I was thinking a trailer had appeared...

Falthyron wrote: »

Same. Consider me shaking my first at the screen peteeeed :(:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

They finished filming ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They finished filming ?

Afaik finished last summer.

Falthyron wrote: »

I would imagine it was locked into a summer blockbuster that has been delayed

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

peteeeed wrote: »

I like the subheadline:
    THE FILMMAKERS WHO TRIED

Paul: They tried and failed?

Reverend Mother Mohiam: They tried and died!

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

Heres one to follow: https://twitter.com/dunemovie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Stop. :mad:

The Vanity Fair article does come with an atmospheric shot of what I presume to be Caladan.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Every time I click on this thread, I hope for some proper photos. And yet now, I expect to see the word "Release delayed" due to everything that's going on.

Did they finish filming?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Did they finish filming?

Of part 1, yes, last summer.

The Vanity Fair article does come with an atmospheric shot of what I presume to be Caladan.

Gotta be! Those ships possibly fishing or getting ready for the move. Waterfalls on the left? Fishing/Aquatic Agriculture platforms on the right maybe... or just scene Ocean background :)
    ixoy wrote: »
    Every time I click on this thread, I hope for some proper photos. And yet now, I expect to see the word "Release delayed" due to everything that's going on.

It's on the Golden Path.. maybe.. I dunno.

Of part 1, yes, last summer.
    Good. I hear that beginnings are a delicate time.

I am REALLY liking those StillSuits :D

Someone suggested that if the lockdowns are properly gone come later in the year, Dune could be the first blockbuster around that time. It could clean up at the box office. Conversely, Covid may be the thing that finally kills of cinemas as a viable business, thus dooming Dune to a poor box-office.

• Advertisement

I'm glad to see the suits look a bit worn and grubby - nothing should be shiny out in the desert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Stillsuits and Atreides uniforms, aswell as the frigates in the background of the Caladan shot are all very reminiscent of the designs used in the Dune Encyclopedia.
    It is non-canon, but it was approved by FH and he even wore the foreword(that thoroughly rendered it non-canon)

The more I see, the more as an avid lover of the book am looking forward to the release.

The big test will be the sandworm. It's going to be very difficult to get its size and majesty right (and of course, we'll have some people claiming possibly how it's ripping off the worm from Star Wars...).

ixoy wrote: »
    The big test will be the sandworm. It's going to be very difficult to get its size and majesty right (and of course, we'll have some people claiming possibly how it's ripping off the worm from Star Wars...).

Those people need to be detained in reeducation camps and trained in the way...
    Luckily!
    Some say, Arrakis was created to train the faithful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's early days, I know, but I think I'll miss Lynch's baroque look with this version. I got a distinct SYFY feeling off of those Vanity Fair photos. And to be honest, I'm not that pushed on the idea of Timothée Chalamet as Paul.

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's early days, I know, but I think I'll miss Lynch's baroque look with this version. I got a distinct SYFY feeling off of those Vanity Fair photos. And to be honest, I'm not that pushed on the idea of Timothée Chalamet as Paul.

Dont miss it :)
    Just rewatch it, with its flaws and all!
    it really is a visual masterpiece for all its flawed story and arc.

I'd love to see the full Lynch vision, however long it runs.
    Maybe the new movie will spark enough interest to spark a deal to get him to sign off on a directors cut?

The "armoured" soldiers look an interesting take on shields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Woke bull**** seeped into the film with a black woman playing a white mans role ffs

Oh god FFS. Not this again.

Liet Kynes is not a major character. Barely a character in the first place beyond "Atreides factotum goes native". God forbid we just enjoy the rich production design without getting knickers in a twist about secondary characters getting switched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

what do ya mean he's not a major character he's Chanis' father. Grandfather to the God emperor Leto II.

"Atreides factotum goes native"
    Does he even work for them? I thought he was an imperial official. She now; as you say, it hardly matters.

It's a story I expect to attract some criticism anyway. It'll likely be called the whatever the opposite of woke is for the enormous soft power women hold in it, and woke if it gives any kind of weight to Jessica and the Bene Gesserit. The same folks won't bat an eyelid at the hereditary aristocracy, because the gender stuff is almost an unconscious reflex at this stage. And that's before we consider the "cultural appropriation", pro-jihad message, and abundant drug use. I'm not planning on reading anything outside of boards on this one. The internet sucks sometimes.

what do ya mean he's not a major character he's Chanis' father. Grandfather to the God emperor Leto II.

In the scheme of things, Kynes has no real effect on the plot or story IMO. The only functional change here is Liet becomes Chani's mother and is grandmother to Leto II. Hardly worth hoisting the pitchforks over. Nothing of value is changed here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement