Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

dulux99 wrote: »
    This might be old news but did anyone see that Joe shut down his forum without giving any notice to the posters there. I never posted there myself but lurked from time to time and went looking for it the other night and ended up on a reddit thread with lots of people absolutely furious. There was a huge number of people posting on that forum, including Joe himself yet he shut it down without giving any notice whatsoever. Bad form really. I don't listen much anymore but based on that reddit thread they seemed to imply that Joe has "changed" alot over the past couple of years.

That forum was a dark, wierd but interesting place. It was sort of like the football365 forum before sky bought it. Since they had essentially no policy on trolling there was pages of crap but then you'd get the odd epic thread, usually where somebody was liveposting a particularly engaging moment of their life; I remember the guy who was forced to live out of his car and looked on it as a fun adventure but as the months went on it got more and more grim, the long time poster who got diagnosed with terminal cancer, the American poet who lived in Thailand and kept a spreadsheet on the hookers he'd been with and Anons running beef with Rogan where Joe ended up flying him to California. I wasn't a even a regular visitor but whenever I logged in I found it hard to look away. To be fair the world and the internet have moved on, you can see why Rogan wouldn't want his name attached to what was going on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Adam Frank is a physicist, astronomer, and writer. His scientific research has focused on computational astrophysics with an emphasis on star formation and late stages of stellar evolution. His new book "Light of the Stars: Alien Worlds and the Fate of the Earth" is available now on Amazon.

Very interesting guy

Dave Rubin, good week for the JRE ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

A pretty big week for the JRE:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I watched that live and found Elon and the whole podcast incredibly hard to watch, bordering on cringeworthy. Joe tried his best - failed - tried to get him drunk and stoned and still couldn't get him to flow. it still yuks me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I don’t think it was awkward, he just seemed to think about every answer instead blurting out the first thing that came to mind. I have to say, I really enjoyed it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Watched this last night and actually really enjoyed it.

I do get the feeling Elon waw holding back an awful lot on certain subjects.

He knows a hell of a of a lot we dont.

I don’t think it was awkward, he just seemed to think about every answer instead blurting out the first thing that came to mind. I have to say, I really enjoyed it.

Agreed, the 30 mins or so on AI was especially brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

The Tulsi Gabbard interview was very interesting. Hadn't heard of her beforehand but she's an impressive lady.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Elon Musk podcast was great, in the beginning Joe was trying to force it a bit, then he adjusted to how Elon thinks and talks and the conversation flowed much better.
    I was impressed by the ability to break down complicated sh*t into everyday English.

• Advertisement

Well Holy Fúckballs this is unreal - I started crying 10mins in

Jesus christ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It started out great but descended into a mess.

The guy is seriously messed up... understandably

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The Elon Musk podcast was great, in the beginning Joe was trying to force it a bit, then he adjusted to how Elon thinks and talks and the conversation flowed much better.
    I was impressed by the ability to break down complicated sh*t into everyday English.
    Thought it was his most cringey podcast so far. He didn’t grill Musk on a lot of his very questionable projects. Was disappointed with the brown nosing to be honest.

cournioni wrote: »
    Thought it was his most cringey podcast so far. He didn’t grill Musk on a lot of his very questionable projects. Was disappointed with the brown nosing to be honest.

You must have missed the Lance Armstrong one then! Rogan rarely grills guests, he’s not a journalist and doesn’t claim to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

I just listened to the Matthew Walker / Sleep Science episode and absolutely loved it.

What other recommended episodes would people here suggest?

JaMarcus wrote: »
    I just listened to the Matthew Walker / Sleep Science episode and absolutely loved it.

What other recommended episodes would people here suggest?

One of the funniest ever is 1000 with Joey Diaz. Absolutely hilarious, a lot of early Joey Diaz ones are amazing too, that man's life was mental.

Do you guys watch the Paulytoons series from the podcast? There's some gems!

Where the hell is Joe - Its been 12 days since a podcast! WTF - I cant sleep at all!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Really enjoyed Elon Musk podcast. Rogan has said himself that hes not there to grill guests but to have a conversation with them, I think he got some fascinating stuff from Musk. If you have ever seen Joe stick the knife in, he can really back you into a corner but then he will never get you back on the show again (check out first 30 mins with Brian Dunning).

He is a bit annoying sometimes and loves the sound of his own voice but nobody is perfect.

• Advertisement

Latest one is hilarious. I'd never heard of these two guys. They created a bunch of fake academic papers to expose how nonacademic certain faculties across the US can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The Tyson Fury podcast was enthralling, very open, very honest conversation, well worth a listen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

D'Agger wrote: »
    The Tyson Fury podcast was enthralling, very open, very honest conversation, well worth a listen

To be honest the last couple have been amazing. It can be hit and miss with Joe but in the last year or so he’s really perfected the podcast. I’m even loving every Joey Diaz pod now, and I used instantly turn them off. Joe is out there on his own now, miles above anything else out there.

Latest one is hilarious. I'd never heard of these two guys. They created a bunch of fake academic papers to expose how nonacademic certain faculties across the US can be.

This is without doubt my favourite episode in a LONG time! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

D'Agger wrote: »

This was the best episode in ages. He even managed to keep Rogan quiet for most it.

I think it was labelled an MMA episode which makes no sense. Even if you're not a boxing fan I think a lot of people would find it very insightful.

Fury can be contradictory at the best of times but he seemed very genuine here. Highly recommended.

Joe talks about chimps for a change with William Von Hippel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 NaiveMind5

Lawrence Lessig podcast definitely worth a listen, I read his book Republic Lost. He knows campaign finance corruption better than anyone. Was about to give up and Joe, the 3 Tom Papa podcasts in one month was just too much.

I am gone very choosy now on jre - yer man above didnt light my fire - holding out for more sam harris, graham hancock, ben shapiro, Jordan peterson, and duncan - where the hell are duncan and chris ryan!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I'm definitely gone very picky on JRE. Used to be I'd listen to everyone, now it's only the past guests I know I'll enjoy. Some newer guests, the stuff can get quite repetitive and the memes have ruined it on me

Bill Burr was hilarious last night. Funniest Rogan podcast in years.

evil_seed wrote: »
    I'm definitely gone very picky on JRE. Used to be I'd listen to everyone, now it's only the past guests I know I'll enjoy. Some newer guests, the stuff can get quite repetitive and the memes have ruined it on me

The only ones I skip entirely are the MMA ones and the comedians I don't know. I love the random doctors I've never heard of. Even if they are talking complete nonsense its usually interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

The recent podcast with David Higgins was worth a listen, seems a mad man.

Esse85 wrote: »
    The recent podcast with David Higgins was worth a listen, seems a mad man.

I presume you mean David Goggins? Complete lunatic. He facial expression are nuts. I'd like to read his book though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Kanye West podcast coming soon

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deep_dish

The meme about Kim's sex-tape is funny.

I don't think it will be a 3hr+ / I think it'll just be over an hour and, in the end, a bit of a disappointment.

We all know that Kim Kardashian is saddled with a huge arse, but enough about Kayne West already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I'm not sure why so many people are excited about this one (Not saying you are)
    What is the man going to say that's interesting? Mans a fool (Insert he's not a fool, hes making money off everything he does etc etc)
    Perhaps I'm not his audience anymore but even the Elon Musk one I didn't find interesting. Musk basically gave no credit to anyone outside of himself for what Tesla have done. You can be sure hes surrounded himself with the best minds he can find, yet gives no one but himself credit.
    Also when its not scripted, the man is unexciting and to be honest a bore. Perhaps I've heard already about what Musk was laying down. For people who have never considered the future I guess I can see why it was of interest.

Not sure what Kanye will bring that will be of any interest. His political opinion? Who actually cares about that?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think that Kanye's political opinions have not been questioned enough.
    From what I can gather, people see him wearing a Trump hat, and saying he supports things that Trump does.....so people form an opinion on this and the media takes it away and embellishes it.
    There is more under the surface, hopefully Rogan can get a chance to delve into this.
    But I think that Kanye will Kanye and just bang on about whatever is on his mind without stopping to dig into it more.

Kanye West is a hypocrite in general imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

seannash wrote: »
    What is the man going to say that's interesting? Mans a fool (Insert he's not a fool, hes making money off everything he does etc etc)
    Perhaps I'm not his audience anymore but even the Elon Musk one I didn't find interesting. Musk basically gave no credit to anyone outside of himself for what Tesla have done. You can be sure hes surrounded himself with the best minds he can find, yet gives no one but himself credit.
    Also when its not scripted, the man is unexciting and to be honest a bore. Perhaps I've heard already about what Musk was laying down. For people who have never considered the future I guess I can see why it was of interest.

Not sure what Kanye will bring that will be of any interest. His political opinion? Who actually cares about that?

He's a head the ball and it will be entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

dulux99 wrote: »
    He's a head the ball and it will be entertaining.
    Possibly in a "Lol, OMG, He Cray Cray" false teenage type of entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭facehugger99

seannash wrote: »

Painful to listen to.

All JR's questions were variations on 'Why are you so amazing?'

All the answers followed the same format
    5 seconds of dead air followed by montone generic answer.

Ended up fast-forwarding through most of it after the first hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deep_dish

I don't think anyone is really expecting or hoping that the Kanye episode is a deep, introspective mind-opening experience they'll listen to again and again. He's car crash and people want to see him go off on one. There'll be a few memorable quotes and memes but, it's Kanye. Don't believe the hype, yo.

I presume you mean David Goggins? Complete lunatic. He facial expression are nuts. I'd like to read his book though.

Started listening to his audobook. It's quite good. It has podcast elements to it. He comments on the story in a more relaxed fashion at regular intervals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think that Kanye's political opinions have not been questioned enough.
    From what I can gather, people see him wearing a Trump hat, and saying he supports things that Trump does.....so people form an opinion on this and the media takes it away and embellishes it.
    There is more under the surface, hopefully Rogan can get a chance to delve into this.
    But I think that Kanye will Kanye and just bang on about whatever is on his mind without stopping to dig into it more.

Didn't he say he was "played" by trump and now he's back supporting him again? I think Kanye will just do whatever gets him most attention.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Didn't he say he was "played" by trump and now he's back supporting him again? I think Kanye will just do whatever gets him most attention.

I believe he was turned off by the backlash he got. now he's back on Trump again.
    But I think it's supporting his methods and convictions rather than what he stands for....that's the type of thing I'd love to hear come out of that. Kanye just needs to explain himself better and hopefully Rogan can tease that out

Jonathan Haidt - author of the happiness hypothesis .. very interesting

Jonathan Haidt - author of the happiness hypothesis .. very interesting

The statistics about young girls and social media are crazy. Huge spikes in self harm as of 2012 which he correlates to widespread smartphone use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

The statistics about young girls and social media are crazy. Huge spikes in self harm as of 2012 which he correlates to widespread smartphone use.

I listened to that episode a couple of nights ago. Those statistics are shocking, it would frighten me if I had young daughters.

I know ! extremely frightening!

I have just been sending this to other friends that are parents ..

• Advertisement

Someone has clipped the part with the statistics. I want to send this on to my sister but I know she's a crazy worrier. Could do more harm than good.

Advertisement