Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Neddyusa wrote: »
    1st Feb to 12th June is the period. And €100/hd is the rate

Where did you see that. I was watching out for the details but saw nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

What twisted logic do they use to arrive at these dates?

Or as the anglo irish lad once or twice maybe said "picked it out of my arse "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Dunedin wrote: »
    Where did you see that. I was watching out for the details but saw nothing.

Beef Finishers Payment (BFP) €100 per animal.
    The opening date for applications will be 19 August 2020 and the closing date will be 9 September 2020.
    https://t.co/jl4CY7z16x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭DBK1

Many qualify for the new beef compensation payment?
    I had a load of cattle that missed out by a week in the previous scheme. Had a load miss out by 1 day this time.... on the bright side I'm getting closer! :D
    I had a load miss out by 1 day as well, it’s annoying. I missed the last one by 3 days so like yourself I’m getting closer!! It’s still welcome to be getting it for what was killed in the time frame. Will there be any conditions like the last time I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

DBK1 wrote: »
    I had a load miss out by 1 day as well, it’s annoying. I missed the last one by 3 days so like yourself I’m getting closer!! It’s still welcome to be getting it for what was killed in the time frame. Will there be any conditions like the last time I wonder?

Eligible animals

Slaughtered in the reference period of 1 February to 12 June 2020.
    Aged 8 months or more when slaughtered
    Resident on the qualifying herd for at least 30 days prior to slaughter (if not the previous owner is eligible for payment if they are an applicant and have had the animal for over 30 days on their holding)
    Animals identified on the Department systems as presented for slaughter by or on behalf of a factory will not be eligible.
    Subject to a cap on payments in respect of 100 eligible animals per herd.
    Eligible applicants:
    A farmer who has presented animals for slaughter in the reference period
    The holder of an active herd number with Herd Owner Status.
    Farming a holding in respect of which a valid Basic Payment Scheme application has been submitted in 2020 to the Department.
    Agent or Dealer herd numbers are not eligible for payment
    Conditionality: Applicant must be a member of the Bord Bia Beef and Lamb Quality Assurance Scheme at the time of application, or undertake to become a member of a quality scheme prior to 30 September 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Is that to 30 or 36 months

30 afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

ruwithme wrote: »
    What twisted logic do they use to arrive at these dates?

Or as the anglo irish lad once or twice maybe said "picked it out of my arse "

TBF it would be one of the higher cost times of the year to produce beef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Never mind the dates where is the rhyme or reason for the scheme?

Why are finishers being rewarded over sucklers or dairy or sheep men?
    Beef prices weren’t down
    If farmers are honest this hasn’t really affected us that much, if at all. In fact it’s been a good year to date. I’ve had to buy heifers this summer and they were dear. Equally I sold a few suckler cows and got a good price for them.

Personally, out of any year it’s a good year for me for this “scheme”, I’m getting out of beef so have been killing all year where previously I would have sold them younger. So I’ll do well out of it but it annoys me to see a scheme that has no real reasoning behind it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Beef prices weren’t down
    If farmers are honest this hasn’t really affected us that much, if at all. In fact it’s been a good year to date. /quote]

Beef prices weren't down?

I got 375 base pre lockdown

The week of lockdown I couldn't get cattle killed because I was told that there was no catering demand in UK and that was where majority of Irish beef was going

Following weeks I was taking 340 base

Are you telling me 375 base is equal to 340 base?
    In my book that's 35c and on 350kg is €120 a head

• Advertisement

epfff wrote: »
    Beef prices weren’t down
    If farmers are honest this hasn’t really affected us that much, if at all. In fact it’s been a good year to date. /quote]

Beef prices weren't down?

I got 375 base pre lockdown

The week of lockdown I couldn't get cattle killed because I was told that there was no catering demand in UK and that was where majority of Irish beef was going

Following weeks I was taking 340 base

Are you telling me 375 base is equal to 340 base?
    In my book that's 35c and on 350kg is €120 a head

In the first week maybe but I sent cattle March 10th and got 375 base. That’s six weeks after the start of this scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Green&Red wrote: »
    In the first week maybe but I sent cattle March 10th and got 375 base. That’s six weeks after the start of this scheme.

I agree the scheme should not start until lockdown week starting 16 March which would allow a greater amount per head.

But I totally disagree with your initial statement that it was a good year and it had no effect on price during this pandemic.
    Or did I interpreted your initial statement that is was a good year with no price problems and the price never dropped for farmer's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

No scheme will suit everyone. This one suits me as did beam. By the looks of things we are going to be passing it back to the suckler and store producer anyway so it will trickle down.
    Got 3.40 for bulls the end of April. Was getting 3.70 just before the whole thing kicked off.

epfff wrote: »
    I agree the scheme should not start until lockdown week starting 16 March which would allow a greater amount per head.

But I totally disagree with your initial statement that it was a good year and it had no effect on price during this pandemic.
    Or did I interpreted your initial statement that is was a good year with no price problems and the price never dropped for farmer's

Prices go up and down every year, I don’t think this has been a bad year for prices

I also think it’s been a good year for farming in general, grass growth is high which means cheaper weight on cattle. Fertiliser and meal prices have been normal. Provided this wet weather doesn’t end up with cattle going in too early it’ll have been a very good year for farming
    Cavanjack wrote: »
    No scheme will suit everyone.

Hard to call it a scheme when there is no requirement on the farmer to do anything. At least BEAM and BEEP have a purpose and require the farmer to do something which has a tangible result.
    This kinda thing will just reinforce the stereotype of farmers getting money for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

Prices go up and down every year, I don’t think this has been a bad year for prices

I also think it’s been a good year for farming in general, grass growth is high which means cheaper weight on cattle. Fertiliser and meal prices have been normal. Provided this wet weather doesn’t end up with cattle going in too early it’ll have been a very good year for farming

Hard to call it a scheme when there is no requirement on the farmer to do anything. At least BEAM and BEEP have a purpose and require the farmer to do something which has a tangible result.
    This kinda thing will just reinforce the stereotype of farmers getting money for nothing.

They still have to work to produce the beef. It's hardly unemployment assistance like the PUP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I wouldn't be begrudging anyone the PUP.

• Advertisement

Every penny if it will make its way back into the economy. Weather it’ll be concrete, steel, land reclamation or it’ll be passed onto the weanling/store producer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭amacca

If thats the stereotype then its an opinion of a bunch of begrudging fools imo whose opinon on the matter is as valid as my opinion on the state of the hollywood film/entertainment industry right now.

Farmers are being inadequately compensated for producing food below the cost of production and these schemes are attempts to keep them slaving at it.

Money for nothing me hole.............small money to continue to be a food producing slave..........I agree on one thing however, farmer would probably be better off without these schemes and paid for "advice" which favours production over sense....they would be better off without the market manipulation and instead given some leverage/bargaining power so they get paid a fair price for their produce (as they clearly are too disparate a group to work together for a variety of reasons) or if a healthy small to medium farm enterprises were prioritised even for support so the family farm isnt completely wiped out in favour of factory style operations which wont do anything for pr/image etc down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

Many qualify for the new beef compensation payment?
    I had a load of cattle that missed out by a week in the previous scheme. Had a load miss out by 1 day this time.... on the bright side I'm getting closer! :D

Killed a load last week of January and last week of June. Such is life I nearly had €3000. On the up side I came out in the draw for a ticket to see local Gaa club playing on Sunday........

Hershall wrote: »
    . On the up side I came out in the draw for a ticket to see local Gaa club playing on Sunday........

Saves you hiring a digger to watch it.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

amacca wrote: »
    If thats the stereotype then its an opinion of a bunch of begrudging fools imo whose opinon on the matter is as valid as my opinion on the state of the hollywood film/entertainment industry right now.

Farmers are being inadequately compensated for producing food below the cost of production and these schemes are attempts to keep them slaving at it.

Money for nothing me hole.............small money to continue to be a food producing slave..........I agree on one thing however, farmer would probably be better off without these schemes and paid for "advice" which favours production over sense....they would be better off without the market manipulation and instead given some leverage/bargaining power so they get paid a fair price for their produce (as they clearly are too disparate a group to work together for a variety of reasons) or if a healthy small to medium farm enterprises were prioritised even for support so the family farm isnt completely wiped out in favour of factory style operations which wont do anything for pr/image etc down the road.

Problem with these schemes is that they encourage lads to stay at it. Last year was the third year in a row that winter finishers took a serious hit. Yet ;ads will stay at it because they were bailed out again. Procurement managers will be whispering about another deal next year if prices are hit hard.

While Covid hit farmers hard it why were these farmers special. In the summer of 2018 we had a drought and poor summer prices yet nothing was given to these farmers. At the start there was talk of it but the slush fund was targeted towards winter finishers of 2018/2019. This year at the start there was talk that this was an all winter scheme. In he end it has turned out to be again a fund for a sectional group of farmers. As long as the tit is there lads will stay sucking. It similar to suckler production. Only when the tit is removed will lads stop sucking.

At present I am only getting 3.40 for P grade Friesians, an O- grade is 3.58 local factory is refusing to budge off 3.7 base. To travel I need 3.8 at least not available for small bunches. I need to buy 370-400kg friesian's at sub 600 euro. That is unlikly to happen, if I cannot buy before October I need to be buying a 450kg animal at similar prices. I know that is no good to the store man and prices are higher than that but it time to reduce numbers again. With projected numbers for 2022 in the pipeline that year has the potential to be a bag a disaster as we have seen for the last three year or even worse.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Problem with these schemes is that they encourage lads to stay at it. Last year was the third year in a row that winter finishers took a serious hit. Yet ;ads will stay at it because they were bailed out again. Procurement managers will be whispering about another deal next year if prices are hit hard.

While Covid hit farmers hard it why were these farmers special. In the summer of 2018 we had a drought and poor summer prices yet nothing was given to these farmers. At the start there was talk of it but the slush fund was targeted towards winter finishers of 2018/2019. This year at the start there was talk that this was an all winter scheme. In he end it has turned out to be again a fund for a sectional group of farmers. As long as the tit is there lads will stay sucking. It similar to suckler production. Only when the tit is removed will lads stop sucking.

At present I am only getting 3.40 for P grade Friesians, an O- grade is 3.58 local factory is refusing to budge off 3.7 base. To travel I need 3.8 at least not available for small bunches. I need to buy 370-400kg friesian's at sub 600 euro. That is unlikly to happen, if I cannot buy before October I need to be buying a 450kg animal at similar prices. I know that is no good to the store man and prices are higher than that but it time to reduce numbers again. With projected numbers for 2022 in the pipeline that year has the potential to be a bag a disaster as we have seen for the last three year or even worse.

You've finally learnt what most of us know, It's naive to think you'll survive at farming without substantial subsidies and schemes.
    The prices are world market prices so to think they're going to change is also naive

wrangler wrote: »
    You've finally learnt what most of us know, It's naive to think you'll survive at farming without substantial subsidies and schemes.
    The prices are world market prices so to think they're going to change is also naive

You are incorrect I cannot survive if certain sections are given special subsidities as it unbalances the market. These farmers are kept in the game but are forcing other farmers to downsize who were profitable but now are forced into lower profitability.

If this Beam scheme did not happen and last years as well would these lads have reduced there stocking levels. If they did over 2-3 years lads exiting winter finishing would send market signals that would rise the price to other winter finishers. It would force processors to put in place prices or mechanisms ( contracts ) to encourage fisnishers to supply them.

But as long as procurement managers can keep whispering there will be another scheme next year these finishers will stay at it. Over the last 3 years we have stayed 30-60C/kg below prices that were in place 4-8 years ago taht 1-200 euro/head across every bullock, bull, heifer and cow finished. Accross 2 million cattle and climbing that is about 300 million euro/ year. a 50 million tit is only fooling lads. The sooner lads realize that the better.

To put it in context 250k of the extra cattle that are being send into the factories thheyare getting for nothing. If a farmers has 100 cattle 12-13 of them are not being paid for now compared to 4+ years ago and that si before we take any rise ibn costs involved into the equation.

Slava Ukrainii

You are incorrect I cannot survive if certain sections are given special subsidities as it unbalances the market. These farmers are kept in the game but are forcing other farmers to downsize who were profitable but now are forced into lower profitability.

If this Beam scheme did not happen and last years as well would these lads have reduced there stocking levels. If they did over 2-3 years lads exiting winter finishing would send market signals that would rise the price to other winter finishers. It would force processors to put in place prices or mechanisms ( contracts ) to encourage fisnishers to supply them.

But as long as procurement managers can keep whispering there will be another scheme next year these finishers will stay at it. Over the last 3 years we have stayed 30-60C/kg below prices that were in place 4-8 years ago taht 1-200 euro/head across every bullock, bull, heifer and cow finished. Accross 2 million cattle and climbing that is about 300 million euro/ year. a 50 million tit is only fooling lads. The sooner lads realize that the better.

To put it in context 250k of the extra cattle that are being send into the factories thheyare getting for nothing. If a farmers has 100 cattle 12-13 of them are not being paid for now compared to 4+ years ago and that si before we take any rise ibn costs involved into the equation.

There's whole range of subsidies for farmers now, like the dublin bus , if you miss one there'll be another one along in a minute. Farm organisations get a better return for their time chasing those than in the dreamland of a better market price. A bad meat price is no advantage to meat processors, they'll take their margin no matter what the price is.
    From the farmer that pays way too much for the calf and stores to those that finish cattle they are driven by a blind optimism and no amount of advice to the contrary will change that so it's more business like to use what's available rather than dreaming about what might have been. Nowadays the day spent in the office pays better than a month on the farm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Are factory prices holding for next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

There's whole range of subsidies for farmers now, like the dublin bus , if you miss one there'll be another one along in a minute. Farm organisations get a better return for their time chasing those than in the dreamland of a better market price. A bad meat price is no advantage to meat processors, they'll take their margin no matter what the price is.
    From the farmer that pays way too much for the calf and stores to those that finish cattle they are driven by a blind optimism and no amount of advice to the contrary will change that so it's more business like to use what's available rather than dreaming about what might have been. Nowadays the day spent in the office pays better than a month on the farm
    The death knell for Irish family farms and their local communities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

Base price wrote: »
    The death knell for Irish family farms and their local communities.

The EU doesnt want an end to family farms and rural decimation, they also dont want to go back to butter mountains and wine lakes by supporting produce price. the subs and schemes mean that a lot of farmers can cut output but continue farming. Downside is young farmers who want to farm fulltime will find it hard to access land ( even the over generous IMO leasing tax free hasnt released much land ) Now there's talk of a new retirement scheme. BTW I have cut output here but continue farming and bottom line hasn't fallen drastically considering workload decrease. ( Is this good for farming In general though? )

The tax free leasing has released a lot of land in Cork. This has facilitated much of the creation of larger dairy herds. Think it's a better option for retiring farmers than a retirement scheme. Memories of the last one aren't good.

Water John wrote: »
    The tax free leasing has released a lot of land in Cork. This has facilitated much of the creation of larger dairy herds. Think it's a better option for retiring farmers than a retirement scheme. Memories of the last one aren't good.

Huge amount of land on lease around here since it was made tax free, reflecting the age profile around here I suppose.

Huge amount of land on lease around here since it was made tax free, reflecting the age profile around here I suppose.

If there is some dairy options in an area, it sets a good base price in the market. There is also the option of rearing dairy replacements, provided a good relationship can be established. That is already taking land from suckling.

Jjameson wrote: »
    No back 5cent at least in south east.

Getting €3.70 for steers and heifers this week. And hearing that they will be 3.65 in some places by the end of the week.

• Advertisement

It looks like any meat plants in Laois, Offaly and Kildare will be closed that have a cluster of COVID. I presume that the processor's will use this to try to drop prices to farmers. If they do once again they will commit treason against the people of the state

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It looks like any meat plants in Laois, Offaly and Kildare will be closed that have a cluster of COVID. I presume that the processor's will use this to try to drop prices to farmers. If they do once again they will commit treason against the people of the state

The processors have decades of toxicity to the State, the wider economy, etc.

The beef tribunal was the small part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Seems all staff at a certain meat plant in the Midlands being tested in the morning. One positive and plant will shut down completely. I imagine the same is possibly going to happen at all factories.
    Had 3 for the morning but back until Tuesday morning now. Back 5c since last Tuesday
    Could end up finding it very difficult to get stock killed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

Any price for the week? Heard 'rumours' of €3.60 for steers.. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

MfMan wrote: »
    Any price for the week? Heard 'rumours' of €3.60 for steers.. :-(

3.65 quoted and not overly bothered about getting them either.

Saw a few finished lads being sold in Carnaross today. Thought they were well back from what they’d make in the factory last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Saw a few finished lads being sold in Carnaross today. Thought they were well back from what they’d make in the factory last week.

Some unbelievable colour blks, never see the like of them down here.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Some unbelievable colour blks, never see the like of them down here.

Saw a 790kg blk that I figured would have killed a u- and made €1840 @ €3.70 a kg in the factory sell for €1740.
    Maybe they arnt sold Until the seller gives the ok seeing that the seller isn’t there any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭morphy87

3.65 quoted and not overly bothered about getting them either.

What were you been quoted last week? Was talking to an agent Saturday night and he said they were trying to pull them but cattle ain’t over plentiful at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

morphy87 wrote: »
    What were you been quoted last week? Was talking to an agent Saturday night and he said they were trying to pull them but cattle ain’t over plentiful at the moment

Rang agent today. Have one aax going over age. Not in a hurry to take him. Might have room week after next i was told. Wasn't quoted last week as the ones I havebar that one have plenty of room to fill out yet and time on their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lexuslad

How long do you have to keep cattle after buying them before you can send them off to the factory?

lexuslad wrote: »
    How long do you have to keep cattle after buying them before you can send them off to the factory?

As long as it takes to load a lorry

Slava Ukrainii

Are you sure? Was told the last day by a dealer that I have to keep them 70 days before I can send them off to the factory

Are you sure? Was told the last day by a dealer that I have to keep them 70 days before I can send them off to the factory

They have to be on a Quality Assured farm or farms for seventy days to get the Bonuses. but you can sell anytime.

morphy87 wrote: »

Got €3.75 last week

• Advertisement

They have to be on a Quality Assured farm or farms for seventy days to get the Bonuses. but you can sell anytime.

So if they were on a quality assured farm for more than 70 days before mine then I will get the bonuses? Sorry for all the questions first year of farming and trying something different this year.

So if they were on a quality assured farm for more than 70 days before mine then I will get the bonuses? Sorry for all the questions first year of farming and trying something different this year.

Yes, if you're quality assured,
    Don't worry about the questions, that's what we're here for.

Copied this from Bord Bia
    ''The residency requirement for cattle to be deemed Quality Assured is that the animal must have spent the last 70 days (unbroken) in the Quality Assured Chain. However, the animal can be moved from one farm to another, provided each farm is Quality Assured, and remain in the Quality Assurance Chain.''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Yes, if you're quality assured,
    Don't worry about the questions, that's what we're here for.

Copied this from Bord Bia
    ''The residency requirement for cattle to be deemed Quality Assured is that the animal must have spent the last 70 days (unbroken) in the Quality Assured Chain. However, the animal can be moved from one farm to another, provided each farm is Quality Assured, and remain in the Quality Assurance Chain.''

I'd find it varies a bit between factories. Our one is 70 days in the previous farm and 30 days in our place providing both places are QA.

And again don't be afraid to ask any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭memorystick

That bull that left €800 to a dealer was the following day. Could have been €900 either.

It's just one of those, little rules, for the rest of us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement