Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are some good rules/etiquette for new cyclists?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Stay on the road and off the footpad.

Don't cycle against traffic, even if there's a (single lane) cycle track. It's called salmoning, and it's dangerous.

Enjoy yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

A document that deserves wider circulation.....

Sean Kelly’s Guide to cycling

Pg 40 to about 55 has some useful stuff about etiquette, positioning etc - some of it is race or group oriented, but a lot is sound practical advice for people cycling to work or just out for a bit of a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

;)Sock length

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Flandria wrote: »
    Sock height

Fixed that for you.

See, I thought I understood everything about sock height until I tried to apply the well-documented rules to women. In the informal survey I conducted it appeared that the women were not liking of the tall socks. Initially I thought this was just because they hadn't thought it through properly, or because of some mental association with school uniforms, but recently I spotted an otherwise perfect physical specimen wearing tall socks and...it just looked wrong. I do not know why.

Lumen wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

See, I thought I understood everything about sock height until I tried to apply the well-documented rules to women. In the informal survey I conducted it appeared that the women were not liking of the tall socks. Initially I thought this was just because they hadn't thought it through properly, or because of some mental association with school uniforms, but recently I spotted an otherwise perfect physical specimen wearing tall socks and...it just looked wrong. I do not know why.

Was she a short physical specimen with average socks per chance?

• Advertisement

Flandria wrote: »
    Was she a short physical specimen with average socks per chance?

No. Normal height woman. Tall crew socks. It was bad.

Although I'll accept that crew socks are wrong in and of themselves, the tallness definitely wasn't helping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Stay on the road and off the footpadth.

Don't cycle against traffic, even if there's a (single lane) cycle track. It's called salmoning, and it's dangerous.

Enjoy yourself.

Fixed that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Wear something that covers your lower back and arse, more applicable to men I guess. Seriously, I just had breakfast, and muffins weren't on the menu.

Ladies, leggings are not yoga pants and I can see your underwear when you're sitting on the bike. Some pervy types may like this, but personally I feel your white underwear displays a lack of creativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

DO NOT use the bus lane or road when there is a cycle track availible

Overature wrote: »

Give over.

• Advertisement

Unless you feel like it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

The bus lane is also a cycle lane, unless the bus lane is contra-flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Gawd, another petrol head.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Unless of course said cycle path is unfit for use and dangerous to cycle in eg finely coated with shattered glass, manhole covers slippy from rain and grime on corners, littered in pedestrians, blocked by parked cars, pitted with potholes, you have to jump a curb that would could damage you or your bike on the ascent, one that ends randomly either at a bus stop, at a dust bin, at a lamp post, in a position where you would have to dismount as the designers never considered what would happen if there was a cyclist on the cycle path, one without proper signage because if they forgot the signage, who knows what other minimum requirements they have neglected to include and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭candy_pants

Jawgap wrote: »
    A document that deserves wider circulation.....

Sean Kelly’s Guide to cycling

Pg 40 to about 55 has some useful stuff about etiquette, positioning etc - some of it is race or group oriented, but a lot is sound practical advice for people cycling to work or just out for a bit of a spin.

I've just been reading this - it's fantastic so thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.
    But it wasn't broken :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Ah Ian, 'tis yourself. Welcome to boards.

ian_paisley.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭billyhead

doozerie wrote: »
    Ah Ian, 'tis yourself. Welcome to boards.

ian_paisley.jpg

Always be alert and expect the unexpected with drivers. Dont listen to a radio or Ipod when cycling as it can distract your focus. Basically once your on the road make sure your on the ball and tuned in

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Jawgap wrote: »
    Snot rockets go to the inside unless you are trying to discourage a wheelsucker!

Don't be afraid to say good morning / afternoon to a cyclist you are passing or being passed by, or acknowledge another cyclist going in a different direction
    ."

This is a great one, just started out cycling myself. my first spin about a month ago everyone was saluting and waving as i passed, i didnt know what was going on at first, i know us irish are a friendly bunch bbut i couldnt figure out why everyone was saying hello, thought i had a big NEWBIE sign on me back :) Now its great to see it especially as you reach the bottom of a steep climb and you see other cyclists flying down the other side and a big "best of luck salute"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

DO NOT SELFISHLY and HYPOCRITICALLY drive your private car in the bus lane, Mr. Shouty Highhorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

DO NOT SELFISHLY and HYPOCRITICALLY drive your private car in the bus lane, Mr. Shouty Highhorse.

Ha haaa!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

This thread is so great it's nearly making me feel bad for being for the suggested new cycling forum under commuting and transport.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Ah come on, the government have recognised that compelling cyclists to use cycle lanes is dangerous and counter-productive to the transport strategy, so perhaps they will soon announce the revocation of the following traffic regs?
    • Driving in 24 hr bike&bus lanes (whether indicating or not)
    • Parking in cycle lanes
    • Crossing a red light if its only been red a little while
    • Stopping in the ASL area at a light
    ...and that is just from my commute this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

That has got to be the best put down I've seen around these here parts for quite some time! Kudos and nicely done!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

be careful moving past stopped traffic even when in a cycle lane. Pedestrians and turning cars will pop out from behind buses and vans into your path every so often. I always slow down filtering inside a stopped bus expecting something to attack me and am thankful once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I mostly pass stopped traffic on the outside where they expect to be overtaken.

Incidentally, today I saw a "Cyclists: Beware of passing this vehicle on the inside" sticker on the back of a truck. Nice to see it being pointed out.

As it happened, I and that truck were turning left at the same time. I was sitting out a car-length in front of it waiting at the lights...

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

RT66 wrote: »
    There is no queue at lights.
    If you're faster than everyone else feel free to take up an advanced position.
    What causes pandemonium is slower cyclists elbowing their way to the front and then slowing everyone down when the lights turn green.

Is there really any need for shoaling?
    Sit behind the cylists that arrived first and if a) you are faster you will soon breeze past them or b) you are slower you save yourself the indignity of being overtaken after shoaling. Tis a win win.
    I do the same for 1 or 2 cars at a lights too - they are gonna take off faster than me so do I really need to get in front and slow them down just to save 20 feet? Seems a bit pointless to me.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

flatface wrote: »
    I do the same for 1 or 2 cars at a lights too - they are gonna take off faster than me so do I really need to get in front and slow them down just to save 20 feet? Seems a bit pointless to me.
    I'd get in front cars solely to avoid sitting there breathing in the noxious fumes they like to pump out their tailpipes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

flatface wrote: »
    RT66 wrote: »
    There is no queue at lights.
    If you're faster than everyone else feel free to take up an advanced position.
    What causes pandemonium is slower cyclists elbowing their way to the front and then slowing everyone down when the lights turn green.

Is there really any need for shoaling?
    Sit behind the cylists that arrived first and if a) you are faster you will soon breeze past them or b) you are slower you save yourself the indignity of being overtaken after shoaling. Tis a win win.

While sitting behind a car or two might at first seem like a reasonable thing to do you are actually endangering your life and limb with that. Just have a thought of what would happen if the driver behind you is on the phone, drunk or just doesn't pay attention and rear ends you and the car in front.

Advertisement