Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meanwhile, over in After Hours...

Options
  • 04-12-2008 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055434174
    Cyclists, Go use the footpad.
    (this post is intended for outside city centre where hitting pedestrians isn't an issue..).

Seriously, I'm sick of driving along, getting caught behind a guy on a bike and having to overtake him dangerously.. seems to have happened to me constantly all week. all while there's a six foot wide footpad to his left with no one on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I saw that. He's digging his own hole.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's probably a potentially futile exercise debating with someone who can't spell 'footpath'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

Cycling induction weeks would be good in schools, something to get kids familiar with cycling. I read in a DTO report that people who cycle when they are young are more likely to cycle when they are older.

What I'm getting at is, people who make these comments are unfamiliar with being a cyclist and the conditions they have to cycle in. I've only taken up cycling recently enough but it's made me a far more considerate motorist when it comes to cyclists on the road. Demi-rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm interested to see how long it lasts before it is locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

Actually reading it again surely he's ripping the piss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Best. Reply. Ever
    Tago Mago wrote: »
    There are wanker cyclists, just like wanker drivers. Just like there are probably wanker lollipopmen. Although hopefully not lollipopmen that **** when there are children around because that is not on. These lollipopmen need to be sorted out once and for all, coming over here taking our jobs and children

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

el tonto wrote: »
    It's probably a potentially futile exercise debating with someone who can't spell 'footpath'.

...footpad, he he

sounds like he's barely qualified to speak english let alone drive a car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

CheGuedara wrote: »
    ...footpad, he he

I dink dad he just haf some sord of beech imbedement. Footpads clearly are dum dort of dore zpot wid him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

haha what a muppet. lets just hope he stays over in after hours and doesn't find us here. Quick lads, turn off the lights!!! SHHHHHH!
    Besides he keeps talking about 'empty footpads' - but if a cyclist was to get on to one even with NO OTHER PEOPLE for 100 miles around, then it'd not be empty anymore, and they'd have to get off again. and on again. and .......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Ugh, I wish I hadn't read that, I am carrying a lot of anger after nearly being minced by a driver overtaking me on a bend yesterday (literally less than a foot and they then cut in in front of me).

If they weren't speeding in a 50km/hr zone I might have caught them and politely rapped on the window.

Anyway, what a tool that guy is, "footpad", come on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

are cyclists who do this hold up traffic when there's an obvious cycle lane beside the footpath wan*ers?

I see this a _lot_

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yes its all a conspiracy, cyclists aren't actually trying to get home as safely as possible, we only leave our houses at night to slow down traffic, make people get home later and miss the 9 o clock news so Anne Doyle will be forced off the air.

Genius plan no?

I hope you get slapped with the banstick for flaming (hint hint).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

In certain parts of Louth (i.e. the bit I'm from) path is pronounced pad. So shut your holes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

In certain parts of Louth (i.e. the bit I'm from) path is pronounced pad. So shut your holes.

Yes, but do you spell it that way?

ntlbell wrote: »
    are cyclists who do this hold up traffic when there's an obvious cycle lane beside the footpath wan*ers?

I see this a _lot_

Eh, what?:confused:

Yes, but do you spell it that way?
    No but we should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Freewheeling Ed

No but we should.

cool, can't wait for the Louth English Dictionary , the LED

That would be the North Louth English Dictionary.
    Lesson 1: 'Path' is pronounced 'pad'.
    Lesson 2: 'Up' can be pronounced 'op' or 'ap'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Seriously, I'm sick of driving along, getting caught behind a guy on a bike and having to overtake him dangerously..
    What the sheltered readers of 'cycling' need to know is that in 'motors' there's a whole pent up rage among a certain element (usually the ones with bad spelling) against anyone, cyclist or slow driver who gets in the way of an Ordinary Decent Speeder (ODS). After considerable debate, their logic has evolved as follows:

1: Overtaking is dangerous.
    2: Causing an ODS frustration & forcing him to overtake, endangers the ODS.
    3: Slow road users are therefore dangerous & should be 'put off the road'.
    4: Speed traps are revenue-generating exercises.

What the sheltered readers of 'cycling' need to know is that in 'motors' there's a whole pent up rage among a certain element (usually the ones with bad spelling) against anyone, cyclist or slow driver who gets in the way of an Ordinary Decent Speeder (ODS). After considerable debate, their logic has evolved as follows:

1: Overtaking is dangerous.
    2: Causing an ODS frustration & forcing him to overtake, endangers the ODS.
    3: Slow road users are therefore dangerous & should be 'put off the road'.
    4: Speed traps are revenue-generating exercises.

5: I'm paying Road Tax, cyclists don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Myth wrote: »
    5: I'm paying Road Tax, cyclists don't.

not road tax btw its motor tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Why can't we all just get along?

Ah I dream of a time when I can walk out my front door, catch a tram to my son's school, one that lets me rack my bike on its front. Drop Junior off and lesuirely (or turn on race mode, dependent on mood) cycle to work. Wake up on a Saturday morning to find no traffic and wonder if I'm in the mood to bring the Maserati for a spin up north or just cycle along the coast... Either way end my day with a hot whiskey and a nice cuban. Aaaaaaah

But that's not going to happen. Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

but is still always spelled 'path'. Unless it's the first word in the sentence in which case it's spelled 'Path'.
    but is always spelled 'up', again if it is the first word it would be spelled with a capital 'U' as in 'Up'.

It's really not that difficult in fairness. It's a very small word, 4 letters. I bet a 7 year old can get it right

E@gle. wrote: »
    not road tax btw its motor tax

That was kinda my point!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Are you pulling the proverbial?

Are you pulling the proverbial?
    No, I'm just keeping yous all informed of language developments in parts of north Louth.

No, I'm just keeping yous all informed of language developments in parts of north Louth.

Cool. We'll keep you informed on how to spell then regardless of pronunciation.

Tanks

Tanks

Must..... not..... be....

It's thanks!!!!!

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Eh, what?:confused:

Sorry, I didn't think it was a complex question.

Let me dumb it down.

I'm driving down the road some twat on a bike is out in the middle of it.

I look to my left and there's two things.

One a footpath, this is where people walk.

Two a perfectly good cycle lane where this genius could be cycling.

Clear up the picture?

Advertisement