Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are some good rules/etiquette for new cyclists?

Options
  • 19-09-2012 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if there's a similar thread downstream somewhere - point me in the direction if so - but have just started cycling and trying to learn some good behaviour on the road.

My goal is to make cycling my main method of commuting and I love being on the bike but I'm not experienced with dealing with other road users. I've done a practice cycle to work and I know I can do it faster than my bus commute and with relative ease so now I'm just worried about behaving correctly with other cyclists and cars.

I have the cycle lane for 95% of my journey which is great. I'm pacey enough but not terribly fast so I'm happy for people to overtake me as long as they don't mind. However, I can be overly cautious and my fear is if I slow down or stop too abruptly that this will cause problems for cyclists behind me. Any tips on this or hand signals?

Really any advice from experienced cyclists about their new cyclist pet peeves or the things they know cyclists do to cause accidents would be very helpful so I can avoid doing those things!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Don't jump the queue at the lights. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭candy_pants

Just reading this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056752751
    So duly noted!

But that's exactly the type of tips I need so keep them coming please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

When dealing with "real" traffic the cyclist is always wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

There is no queue at lights.
    If you're faster than everyone else feel free to take up an advanced position.
    What causes pandemonium is slower cyclists elbowing their way to the front and then slowing everyone down when the lights turn green.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Some things worth keeping in mind:
    • Avoid the car door zone
    • Keep out of blind-spots
    • Never go up the left of possibly-left-turning trucks unless you wish do die a horrible death
    • If on a cycle path, be careful crossing junctions: this requires a 270 degree head-turn to do safely
    • Don't do anything unexpected
    • Don't pass me out and then slow down again
    • Hydrate
    ...and that's just for starters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Same rules apply as when driving, thats about as complicated as it gets.
    And rule 1: don't be a dick.

I'll probably never go front of the queue unless I was alone! If you're dealing with a set of lights that's on and island - see attached/below - and I'm unlucky enough not to have room, I don't want to just cram up and force myself to fit in (or should I?!) so where would I go?

Sorry for all the stupid questions but I don't want to be that ignorant new cyclist on the road in rush hour!

Thanks for all the other replies too - some I knew but it doesn't hurt to be told again.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

my fear is if I slow down or stop too abruptly that this will cause problems for cyclists behind me. Any tips on this or hand signals?

Don't bother. If you're responding smoothly and predictably rather than just slamming the brakes on for no reason, there isn't an issue. Concentrate on what's ahead of you.

...and even if it does cause a problem, it's their fault for following too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Always look over your shoulder before jettisoning a snot rocket.

• Administrators Posts: 53,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'll probably never go front of the queue unless I was alone! If you're dealing with a set of lights that's on and island - see attached/below - and I'm unlucky enough not to have room, I don't want to just cram up and force myself to fit in (or should I?!) so where would I go?

Sorry for all the stupid questions but I don't want to be that ignorant new cyclist on the road in rush hour!

Thanks for all the other replies too - some I knew but it doesn't hurt to be told again.
    You mean if there's a bus or taxi stopped in the bus lane and the cycle lane is blocked by them being poorly positioned?

At lights just get as near to the front as you can, if the lane is blocked or if there's so little room it'd be a hassle then I don't bother. Just wait behind the offending vehicle.

• Advertisement

If you're dealing with a set of lights that's on and island - see attached/below - and I'm unlucky enough not to have room, I don't want to just cram up and force myself to fit in (or should I?!) so where would I go?
    If you are going straight ahead at that junction, I would stay as far to the right of your lane (forget the red paint) as you can: too many times, cars will lash up the outside and cut across to go left. Road positioning will save your life in such circumstances....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

10 posts and no mention of the Velominati

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
    ;)
    I found that site last night while doing a general search! I think the Velominati will hate me. For now I just have two rules

1. Stay alive
    2. Irritate fellow cyclists as little as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭sled driver

In the words of Graeme Obree "look wobbly" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I'd advise not doing what a lot of (usually female) cyclists do, cower into the kerb at the sight of a faster/ 'more experienced' cyclist wanting to overtake, cycling near to the kerb is dangerous for you!
    Keep to your safe position in the middle of the cycle lane, if someone wants to overtake you and they're experienced, they'll overtake whilst giving you and them plenty of space - keeping you both safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Terence_om

Finally a place to vent ...

... please if you are on the front after a climb, continue to pedal over the crest of the hill, shift down to a small cog and pedal down the other side. There is nothing more annoying than lads on the front coasting, everybody behind has to hold the brakes to avoid going into the back of the lad in front.

Unless you have been the one hammering it front on the climb to drop the big lads. In which case it is completely acceptable to coast down the descent, looking behind you impatiently until the group reforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Terence_om wrote: »
    Finally a place to vent ... please if you are on the front after a climb, continue to pedal over the crest of the hill, shift down to a small cog and pedal down the other side. There is nothing more annoying than lads on the front coasting, everybody behind has to hold the brakes to avoid going into the back of the lad in front.

This is excellent advice for a newbie commuter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Always look over your shoulder before jettisoning a snot rocket.

Snot rockets go to the inside unless you are trying to discourage a wheelsucker!

Don't be afraid to say good morning / afternoon to a cyclist you are passing or being passed by, or acknowledge another cyclist going in a different direction

Safety trumps convenience - in that context, observe the Rules of the Road in spirit and letter (feel free to ignore the RSA in respect of cycling though) - no point in being legally right when you're in the A&E

Signal

Don't filter at speed / dangerously through stalled traffic

Shouting at peds or other road users even when they are being thick or stupid is not cool

Enjoy the 'race-that-cannot-be-mentioned' - do not talk about Bike Club!

If riding two-abreast (as opposed to work :-) ) don't half-wheel

Enjoy and be excellent to anyone you meet, and as the RSA say "don't get into shouting matches with motorists."

I think the Velominati will hate me.
    The rules on the velominati site only apply to leisure cyclists: couriers, commuters and anyone else not just doing it for the fun of it can ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

rp wrote: »
    The rules on the velominati site only apply to leisure cyclists, couriers, commuters and anyone else not just doing it for the fun of it can ignore them.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    When dealing with "real" traffic the cyclist is always wrong!
    Thake it the way as there is no such thing as "you and real traffic".

You are traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Seweryn wrote: »
    Thake it the way as there is no such thing as "you and real traffic".

You are traffic.

Ah, but you see I already am aware of this Mr Seweryn!

These are from here.

The problem is that no matter how good and well behaved you are there is always someone for whom that is not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

Cycle with lights and ideally reflective gear when it's dark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Ah, but you see I already am aware of this Mr Seweryn!

These are from here.

The problem is that no matter how good and well behaved you are there is always someone for whom that is not enough.
    Yeah, all true and unfortunately, this is a seriously annoying problem based on the way we grown up and were educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I find it safer to take the lane on a roundabout, i.e. cycle in the middle of the lane on approach and on the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Read the road ahead to maintain your momentum. If you see an obstruction ahead, check behind you and, if safe, move out and take up your position early. Don't wait until you are right up to the obstruction before trying to move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Cycle far enough away from car doors that you are safe when one opens, as it inevitably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I just assume everyone is trying to kill me and cycle accordingly.

It's also worth reading Cyclecraft. Helped me a lot when I went from being someone who mostly drives to commuting by bike.

Thanks everyone - really helpful info. I can't wait to actually get on with it now. In a nutshell, don't skip queues or prevent someone faster than me from being able to overtake, don't be stupid, have sense and all will be fine. Hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

I know this is probably something you are already doing, but: stop at red lights! New commuters often see so many cyclists going through red lights that they begin (I think) to feel like an idiot for not doing the same. Hold your nerve.

Another half-way point is cyclists stopping at the red light (of a crossroads perhaps), but only after cruising through the pedestrian crossing that is currently green for pedestrians. Pedestrians are unpredictable and squishy. Better to stop at the white line (or just beyond it).

Slow down if you're filtering through traffic up to a red light. Walkers will appear heedlessly from behind larger vehicles.

Advertisement