Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Things you just "don't get"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Mayonnaise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Radiohead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Mayonnaise

Prefer salad cream TBH, it's got more of a kick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

The Nal wrote: »
    Radiohead

My name for them...."The Depressing Dorks"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭con___manx1

The absolute rubbish movies that come out now a days.
    Why does there have to be a strong woman in every new action film? I no its all about inclusiveness but at least a few films should be like the old movies. I'm not sexist by the way.
    The new terminator is an example or the last few predator films. Pure dirt compared to terminator 1 and 2 and the original predator. Cinematography is mostly dead. The only decent film I seen this year was the joker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

A few other EU states have monarchs, you don't hear much whinging about those here for some reason. Why is that I wonder?
    Their countries, their own business, up to them to retain or dispense with them.

I don't see the point of any monarch or any 'figurehead' anywhere.
    Also I would be in favour of getting rid of the office of President in Ireland. But it was argued to me on the legal forum that it would cause constitutional issues and there is nothing better to replace it with.

It was argued to me by an English in law that the Royal family give back more money than they put in. I could not find any concrete evidence for it though. It all seemed agenda led.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Why does there have to be a strong woman in every new action film? I no its all about inclusiveness but at least a few films should be like the old movies. I'm not sexist by the way.
    The new terminator is an example or the last few predator films. Pure dirt compared to terminator 1 and 2 and the original predator. Cinematography is mostly dead. The only decent film I seen this year was the joker.
    I agree and they make it really obvious as well basically the polar opposite to the Bond girls of the 60's who were 'helpless'.

Nowadays they seem to juxtapose a strong woman with a buffoon of a man.
    It has done a 180 in 60 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,528 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I don't see the point of any monarch or any 'figurehead' anywhere.
    Also I would be in favour of getting rid of the office of President in Ireland. But it was argued to me on the legal forum that it would cause constitutional issues and there is nothing better to replace it with.

It was argued to me by an English in law that the Royal family give back more money than they put in. I could not find any concrete evidence for it though. It all seemed agenda led.

It's their country, that aspect doesn't affect us at all hence it's none of our business.

That's obvious but the thread title is. Things you'just don't get' and I don't get the point of symbolic figureheads that do not actually serve a purpose regardless of what country they are from. That includes Ireland and Michael D as most of his constitutional powers are rarely used. He is just there because they could not think of a better system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I agree and they make it really obvious as well basically the polar opposite to the Bond girls of the 60's who were 'helpless'.

Nowadays they seem to juxtapose a strong woman with a buffoon of a man.
    It has done a 180 in 60 years.

Progressiveness is ruining everything ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

callaway92 wrote: »
    100%. It's vile then looking at the droolers latching on her every word. Not one word in a speech has been from her at all.

Actually pisses me off so so much.

How do you even know? And what is so bad about it even if it was somebody helping/writing for her? She could just be an impassioned and intelligent young girl

I believe it's her writing it because most of what she says is not particularly unique or compelling. But her passion and frustration come across and thats what people identify with and admire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Sigourney Weaver and Linda Hamiliton were strong women back in the day, but they were able to do it without being disparaging towards men. Nowadays it seems the only reason to have a strong woman in a movie is to fight against the evil patriarchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Passengers who clap pilots for doing what they're paid to do -- namely, land a plane.

I think this is sometimes misunderstood. Some countries, the majority of passengers have been away from home for a long time - so aren't clapping for the pilots, but are clapping because they have landed and are finally home.

In USA it is prob for pilots though, agree

That it's now acceptable to call a biological man a "woman", without further inspection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

People who take 5 minutes videos of a band performing at a gig then uploading it to Snapchat, Instagram, etc. Who in their right mind do they think wants to sit through that? And do those that do record it to their phones ever sit down and watch it back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I don't get Minecraft, it looks like the most boreing game ever made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

How Christy Moore is held in such high esteem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Why Fairytale of New York is such a sacred cow.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Greyfox wrote: »
    I don't get Minecraft, it looks like the most boreing game ever made

I never played it but I know the concept. Its literally just virtual legos. These toys are reliant on the creativity and intelligence of the player to be engaging. In other words, if you think these games are boring you might quite literally be low intelligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

sk8erboii wrote:
    I never played it but I know the concept. Its literally just virtual legos. These toys are reliant on the creativity and intelligence of the player to be engaging. In other words, if you think these games are boring you might quite literally be low intelligence.

Or maybe just not interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Or intelligent.

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Yeah you need a certain amount of IQ to be engaged by these toys. Look at the hobbies of Einstein, Darwin, and countless geniuses. Its building building building.

The typical low IQ yob would look at the toys and say ‘I dun geddit’ because they’re literally too stupid to see the endless potential.

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Yeah you need a certain amount of IQ to be engaged by these toys. Look at the hobbies of Einstein, Darwin, and countless geniuses. Its building building building.

The typical low IQ yob would look at the toys and say ‘I dun geddit’ because they’re literally too stupid to see the endless potential.

Minecraft is the most basic kind of Lego, though. I'd rather get some Technic or build my world in Maya.

I get that Minecraft is fun but to say it requires intelligence is fairly bizarre. You can go crazy in it sure and make very complex things with those switches or whatever but that's a minority of players.

Minecraft is the most basic kind of Lego, though. I'd rather get some Technic or build my world in Maya.

I get that Minecraft is fun but to say it requires intelligence is fairly bizarre. You can go crazy in it sure and make very complex things with those switches or whatever but that's a minority of players.

The most basic kind of lego is lego. Though you might be right, I never played minecraft. From what I hear the creation of your own parameters is what makes the game engaging. That requires an ability to recognize meta-games and mechanics. In other words people make games via minecraft. This is the same appeal of the Sims games.

I played mainly grand strategy with set parameters but insane micromanagement. I liked to play within well established mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The charm of Bertie Ahern. Never knew why people liked him so much, total blind spot for it.

The most basic kind of lego is lego. Though you might be right, I never played minecraft. From what I hear the creation of your own parameters is what makes the game engaging. That requires an ability to recognize meta-games and mechanics. In other words people make games via minecraft. This is the same appeal of the Sims games.

I played mainly grand strategy with set parameters but insane micromanagement. I liked to play within well established mechanics.

I like grand strategy as well. Imperator:Rome is coming along nicely if you're looking for a new game.

Come to think of it, the ultimate Minecraft is something like the Elder Scrolls Construction Set. I used to play with it when I playing Morrowind as a teenager. Using the same tools the devs use to make a house or something was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You need a certain level of intelligence to realise that not everyone has the same skills . Some people may not have the skills you have but are far superior in others skills and artistic intelligence . Being aware of that is where intelligence shows

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You need a certain level of intelligence to realise that not everyone has the same skills . Some people may not have the skills you have but are far superior in others skills and artistic intelligence . Being aware of that is where intelligence shows

Reads like a desperate excuse to deflect your own low intelligence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Hahahaha ! Hilarious attempt at a put down !!

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

The charm of Bertie Ahern. Never knew why people liked him so much, total blind spot for it.

I think a lot of it was that he grew on people. Look at him when he first became FF leader, he was a strapping, young (comparatively) man with a fresh approach. Then on getting power the country just got better and better. Nearly a decade of this warmed him to a lot of people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't recall Einstein's hobbies beyond music(violin IIRC), Darwin's interests were obviously zoology and collecting and experimenting with examples he built up over the years and chess and backgammon. Don't see much building building building there. Outside of architectural and engineering geniuses where that sorta thing was part and parcel of their interests(Frank Lloyd Wright was inspired by wooden building blocks as a kid and non doubt he''d have loved lego) and writers who built inner and outer worlds, I can't recall too many of the other geniuses into the building type stuff. One of the more consistent traits of all of them tended to be collecting, sometimes to the point of obsession. Few enough would have been interested in working within restrictive well established mechanics either. Working outside the well established is one of the main features of actual genius.

You sound like a friend of mine who's always on a high horse. It's still just playing with Lego and as I'm over 12 i require something more engaging and intelligent then Lego. It's a boring game because you dont get much interaction with the world, I don't see why adults would enjoy virtual leggo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The most basic kind of lego is lego

Duplo tho fam

This post says someone clearly doesnt understand the fact that been creative is not the same thing as been intelligent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

lazygal wrote: »

I've never liked it, but I'd defend it against those censorious clowns who seek to ban it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,528 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The panic buying on run up to Xmas, esp food.
    For godsakes shops are only closed for ONE DAY, you would swear people were preparing for a nuclear winter.

Sprouts.
    Here's a thought, if you don't like them, don't buy them, cook them and have them for Xmas dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

He does be on Eamonn Dunphy´s podcast The Stand. We all know Bertie´s dodgy history but he knows his stuff about Northern Ireland & Brexit

Comes across quite impressively.

Not much point listening now though as it's months old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Darts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

The panic buying on run up to Xmas, esp food.
    For godsakes shops are only closed for ONE DAY, you would swear people were preparing for a nuclear winter.

Sprouts.
    Here's a thought, if you don't like them, don't buy them, cook them and have them for Xmas dinner!

I'm cooking for 8 on Christmas day, I don't care that some of the guests think that sprouts are an integral part of Christmas dinner, I refuse to let them inside the door of my house, Satan's farts, that's what they are, stinking the house out while they are cooking and while being digested afterwards
    It doesn't matter what people do to tart them up, bacon, chestnuts (another thing I don't get, mealy and tasteless) or garlic. Not on my watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

storker wrote: »
    I've never liked it, but I'd defend it against those censorious clowns who seek to ban it.

It shouldn't be banned, but I don't see anything wrong with radio stations bleeping that word, especially considering the song's ubiquity at this time of the year. If someone (for whatever totally not-homophobic reason) desperately wants to hear that word, it'll still be available on Spotify or whatever.

There are aspects of that song that I really love. The piano introduction, for example. Or Kirsty MacColl's voice - especially the way she sang the lines "the boys of the NYPD choir were singing Galway Bay..." and "well, so could anyone". No other female vocalist can do the song justice. And it's a long time since Shane MacGowan has been able to either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Yamanoto wrote: »
    How Christy Moore is held in such high esteem.
    lazygal wrote: »

Yeah well, fuck ye both.

Christy's brilliant.

Arghus wrote: »
    Darts.

Same. I used to be decent at it but at end of the day, it's a sport where you can't influence the other player. In pool or snooker, you can.

Golf is like that as well but I enjoy it because being out on the course is so enjoyable. It's more of a battle with yourself trying to improve each part of a hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Pilates instructors who hold all their classes between 9 am and 1 pm on weekdays ...do they not realize everyone is in work or getting kids to school etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

Looks like you don't have much imagination or creativity. Maybe you are not as intelligent or have as high an IQ as you think you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The acclaim for the woman wining the darts match. She only got in because there was a brace of places reserved for women. She wouldn't have qualified otherwise. She beat a man younger than herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

B0jangles wrote: »
    Those pod coffee machines

what the hell are they about? - like, why would you spend a fortune on a machine so's you can spend a fortune on little pots of crap coffee? Little pots that are apparently a pain in the ass to recycle.

Buy decent beans, a grinder and an aeropress.

There, now you have good coffee and you're not knee-deep in stupid little pots!

They're like Printers. Cheap machines, expensive as sin cartridges -- they make their profits off the consumables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

gmisk wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but what is the outside rule?

Offside, Assuming they are attempting being funny..

I don’t ‘get’ how this thread differs from the TA thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Building homeless accomdation in Dublin 2.