Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just "don't get"?

Comments

Cattle farms don't tend to produce weird looking cattle for "fashion" reasons with genetic conditions and short lives. And they're strictly controlled. Run foul of the Dept of Ag and they will sh1t you up and close you down.

Here we have a tiny number of dog wardens with limited powers. The public do whatever they like, they're unlikely to get caught. And if they do they can leave the dust settle and carry on as if nothing happened.
    We should do what I think Denmark did, close down dog breeders until the dogs homes are empty.

We have a farm I know about the regulations but at the same time you are left to work away, cross breed as you wish to get the traits you want etc.

As I did say if ran correctly I see a dog farm as no different, the issue is with the lack of oversight rather than the practice it’s self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We have a farm I know about the regulations but at the same time you are left to work away, cross breed as you wish to get the traits you want etc.

As I did say if ran correctly I see a dog farm as no different, the issue is with the lack of oversight rather than the practice it’s self.

Let's be honest that sector won't be ever run correctly because all the Irish care about are animals that get into the food chain and perhaps horses but only at a certain level, not the nag/ethnic industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

I don’t get the issue with farming dogs. They are animals same as cows or sheep yet people lose their s+it over a farm that produces dogs but sees no issue whatsoever with livestock farms.

Obviously the welfare situation is an issue on a lot of puppy farms but if ran correctly I see it as no different to any other farm. The point of farming to to make money from producing animals and there is a lot of money in dogs.
    Do you have any idea what a puppy farm is? Jesus wept. Google Rape Stands for a start and go from there.

People buying dogs as fashion accessories, ugh.

Every back yard breeder and puppy farm should be shut down by law.
    We are the puppy farming capital of Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Small dogs in general, esp Jack Russells.

They have inflated sense of their own importance. Yapping and barking at shadows or anything at all that moves.

I won't have a bad word said about Jack Russell's, we had several as family pets growing up, I don't like poncy little dogs but there's nothing precious about Jack Russells.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Seamai wrote: »
    I won't have a bad word said about Jack Russell's, we had several as family pets growing up, I don't like poncy little dogs but there's nothing precious about Jack Russells.

I've always had large breeds like Labs,Rotts and once trained they will protect their pack the family. A jack Russell has no hope to defend against an intruder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Agreed, we had a Jack Russell a few years ago and she was better than any cat at catching rats and mice. Very affectionate too, they are great pets.

I've always had large breeds like Labs,Rotts and once trained they will protect their pack the family. A jack Russell has no hope to defend against an intruder.

Well in fairness our JRs were pets though their bark was enough to send quite a few callers packing and they were certainly able to compete with the best of them when some local bitch was in heat. We talk about getting a dog but as the two of are out of the house for over 10 hours a day I don't think it would be fair on the dog, when we do I think it will a bigger dog, I might even consider a greyhound.

There is a massive problem with superbug infections in Irish hospitals. I myself picked up one in an Irish hospital and can't get rid of it, it's endemic in some Dublin hospitals. There was a case in Limerick a year or so ago of a disease from Africa/Middle East that was brought into the hospital and lots of people had to be screened for it. Infection control in our hospitals is a joke.

So tell me, how do you stop a random person walking into a hospital (a place where sick people tend to go for some strange reason) with a completely unseen but contagious illness?

And what is it that Spain, Italy china, the UK and the US did with their medical facilities that make Ireland a 'joke' other than getting the video virus first?

Define 'trained'?

• Advertisement

I don’t get the issue with farming dogs. They are animals same as cows or sheep yet people lose their s+it over a farm that produces dogs but sees no issue whatsoever with livestock farms.

Obviously the welfare situation is an issue on a lot of puppy farms but if ran correctly I see it as no different to any other farm. The point of farming to to make money from producing animals and there is a lot of money in dogs.

I don't see many stray cows running around looking to be adopted come January

I don't see many stray cows running around looking to be adopted come January

That’s because they just get slaughtered. Putting down a few dogs though is the end of the world for some people, they are only animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

If covid 19 incubates for 2 wks, how does containment work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

If covid 19 incubates for 2 wks, how does containment work?

As long as people aren’t washing their hands, or using sanitiser, and turning up to hospitals with “flu-like” symptoms it will never be contained.

It’s spread as much through human stupidity as it is through contact.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

So tell me, how do you stop a random person walking into a hospital (a place where sick people tend to go for some strange reason) with a completely unseen but contagious illness?

And what is it that Spain, Italy china, the UK and the US did with their medical facilities that make Ireland a 'joke' other than getting the video virus first?
    Keep on digging

Well in fairness our JRs were pets though their bark was enough to send quite a few callers packing and they were certainly able to compete with the best of them when some local bitch was in heat. We talk about getting a dog but as the two of are out of the house for over 10 hours a day I don't think it would be fair on the dog, when we do I think it will a bigger dog, I might even consider a greyhound.
    Are you saying that not only did you not do the responsible thing and get your dog neutered but you also allowed it to run the streets fighting with other dogs and getting some unfortunate female dog pregnant? Christ on a bike some people never fooking learn and it's no wonder thousands of dogs are dying in pounds.

Are you saying that not only did you not do the responsible thing and get your dog neutered but you also allowed it to run the streets fighting with other dogs and getting some unfortunate female dog pregnant? Christ on a bike some people never fooking learn and it's no wonder thousands of dogs are dying in pounds.

We did have his gearbox (as my dad used to say) removed but it didn't stop him from trying.

Having dogs sterilized is something I feel very strongly about, my partner volunteers for a charity that deals with abandoned animals and has come across some pretty harrowing cases so when we do get a dog it will be a rescue and most definitely neutered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There is one major and critical biological difference between the usual farm livestock species, and dogs (or indeed, mink, and foxes, which are farmed for fur). That is that they are predators. Their psychological wiring, and their biological needs, are radically different to herbivores and ungulates. Those needs cannot be catered for in a larger scale, mass-production setting. Therefore, welfare and development issues are an insurmountable barrier to producing predator species ethically or effectively, always have been, and always will be. It simply can't be done.
    To expect an animal whose basic biological needs cannot be met in a mass-produced setting, and which by definition are socially impoverished due to inappropriate rearing during their most critical period of psychological development, to then live under one's roof, interacting happily with one's family members (most of them can't), is likely to be a major reason why people "lose their s+it" over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I said it before, but face tattoos. Wtf is wrong with people who do this?
    As i understand, its a thing with young american rappers/pop stars etc., who are either going to be 1)famous and never need to work a proper job 2)end up in a gang or 3) die young.

But i passed a guy yesterday on the quays in dublin with a godawful green mess around his right eye and cheek wearing a dealz polo. Surprised they hired him in a customer facing role looking like he does

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    As i understand, its a thing with young american rappers/pop stars etc., who are either going to be 1)famous and never need to work a proper job 2)end up in a gang or 3) die young.

But i passed a guy yesterday on the quays in dublin with a godawful green mess around his right eye and cheek wearing a dealz polo. Surprised they hired him in a customer facing role looking like he does

I think there will come a time down the line when having a tattoo might not be so cool.
    Coming up with a way to get rid of them could be a major money spinner.

retalivity wrote: »

Maybe it's some sort of arrangement with the prison service. I've been seeing lads working in shops for the last few months who really wouldn't have even made it to an interview let alone been hired. They really haven't got a clue about customer service and can be quite intimidating. Generally speaking, a facial tattoo is a fairly loud statement that the wearer has no intention of ever getting a job unless it's with a carnival or tattoo parlour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

This haircut that half the men and boys have. Bottom half of the head is shaven. All the footballers have it and rugby players too. Looks awful.

DBB wrote: »
    There is one major and critical biological difference between the usual farm livestock species, and dogs (or indeed, mink, and foxes, which are farmed for fur). That is that they are predators. Their psychological wiring, and their biological needs, are radically different to herbivores and ungulates. Those needs cannot be catered for in a larger scale, mass-production setting. Therefore, welfare and development issues are an insurmountable barrier to producing predator species ethically or effectively, always have been, and always will be. It simply can't be done.
    To expect an animal whose basic biological needs cannot be met in a mass-produced setting, and which by definition are socially impoverished due to inappropriate rearing during their most critical period of psychological development, to then live under one's roof, interacting happily with one's family members (most of them can't), is likely to be a major reason why people "lose their s+it" over it.

They are animals so once fed, watered and treated well that’s ok as far as I’m concerned. People are treating dogs like people imo and they are not they are animals, like having dogs living in the house rather than outside like they always have or even more insanely having a dog sleeping on their bed. That’s worthy of a mental health check imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Why some people are obsessed with what I did on the weekend.

Don't think I have ever asked someone what they did the weekend.

bobbyss wrote: »
    This haircut that half the men and boys have. Bottom half of the head is shaven. All the footballers have it and rugby players too. Looks awful.

Was getting my hair cut yesterday and a guy was having this done, he was really particular about it, yet was wearing a manky old tracksuit that was probably picked up off the bedroom floor. Is there a name for the style? It's a bit like Friar Tuck without the top of the head shaved.
    This guy looked ridiculous.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

They are animals so once fed, watered and treated well that’s ok as far as I’m concerned. People are treating dogs like people imo and they are not they are animals, like having dogs living in the house rather than outside like they always have or even more insanely having a dog sleeping on their bed. That’s worthy of a mental health check imo.

It's the "treated well" bit that is the huge issue that you gloss over. By denying an animal its basic biological and developmental needs, you are, by definition, not treating it well. It really is that simple. It's one of the Five Freedoms upon which good animal welfare across the world is based... the freedom to carry out natural behaviours. Ungulates can be readily provided with this cornerstone of welfare. Predatory species cannot in a mass-production setting. You can fudge over that with your argument about whether dogs should live inside or outside til the cows come home (excuse the pun), but you're not going to change this most basic of biological realities, try as you might.
    If you then expect an animal whose basic biological and developmental needs have not been met, to then function normally as a pet animal, whether the dog lives inside or out, you're going to run into trouble. Your opinion is what it is, but it is in direct contradiction to qualified, expert opinion which is based on good, solid research and evidence.

GAA! Every Monday at work I get customers asking me did you see the latest gaa game or whatever is on. When I tell them I’ve never been interested in it they look at me as if I had two heads! One fella said to me ‘you’re Irish aren’t you’ and I said yes and proud but I don’t have to like gaa or drink Guinness,which I can’t stand either!

bobbyss wrote: »

The Peaky Blinders influence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

zorro2566 wrote: »
    GAA! Every Monday at work I get customers asking me did you see the latest gaa game or whatever is on. When I tell them I’ve never been interested in it they look at me as if I had two heads! One fella said to me ‘you’re Irish aren’t you’ and I said yes and proud but I don’t have to like gaa or drink Guinness,which I can’t stand either!

Remember one time I was in Kilkenny, standing at bar waiting to order. Fella next to me asked if I'd seen the hurling, no I wouldn't fellow it I said to him. I've never had someone look at me with such disgust. They treat it like a religion

Advertisement