Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just "don't get"?

Comments

Big fan of this.
    I have never tried to talk to myself during a film in the cinema.

Love solo pints, too.
    You can still get to chat, usually.
    Drink completely at your own pace.
    Leave whenever you like.

I like it myself but it’s sometimes too hard to avoid the chat, especially when you’ve forgot your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Binge drinking. It gets a bit much after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

But steel's heavier than feathers :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Was in a coffee shop with a friend recently.. a guy sitting across from us knew my friend and suddenly "remembered" to get something from his BMW hybrid fancy sports car that the doors open upwards outside the door

"Nice car " says my friend
    "Only €100 a year to tax it" was his reply

I said "how much it cost ? "
    €152,000 he says !!!

My head was screaming
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Was in a coffee shop with a friend recently.. a guy sitting across from us knew my friend and suddenly "remembered" to get something from his BMW hybrid fancy sports car that the doors open upwards outside the door

"Nice car " says my friend
    "Only €100 a year to tax it" was his reply

I said "how much it cost ? "
    €152,000 he says !!!

My head was screaming
    "

must have had some ear wax in, there's not a car in the country you can tax for €100 a year.

Or this pile of bollocks conversation never took place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

must have had some ear wax in, there's not a car in the country you can tax for €100 a year.

Or this pile of bollocks conversation never took place.

Maybe he said €180 then .. still doesnt make sense ..and yes it did happen thank you

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Maybe he said €180 then .. still doesnt make sense ..and yes it did happen thank you

nah, no BMW hybrid has 81-100 co2 emission output. try again? was the car €152,000 or €15,200 or even €1,520 and did some random customer maybe wander to a 2001 Ford Mondeo and all of this was imagined?

nah, no BMW hybrid has 81-100 co2 emission output. try again? was the car €152,000 or €15,200 or even €1,520 and did some random customer maybe wander to a 2001 Ford Mondeo and all of this was imagined?

You would want to do some more research, a BMW i8 has max 46 g/km co2 emission. It’s in the 170 euro band.

You would want to do some more research, a BMW i8 has max 46 g/km co2 emission. It’s in the 170 euro band.

You'd want to read my post again a little bit more carefully, "no BMW hybrid has 81-100 co2 emission output" which is in the €180 tax band which the fairytale story was changed to.

apology accepted.

You'd want to read my post again a little bit more carefully, "no BMW hybrid has 81-100 co2 emission output" which is in the €180 tax band which the fairytale story was changed to.

apology accepted.

I assumed you meant none had such a low output.

• Advertisement

I assumed you meant none had such a low output.

It was pretty clear what I wrote, there wasn't much room for assumption. Anyway this is more for the motoring forum with a thread called "the bollocks that did not actually happen today about a bmw owner".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,168 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pasta bakes.
    I make exceptions for lasagne and cannelloni but other than these well thought out dishes, why would you cook up pasta, mix it with stuff and then put it in the oven?
    Dry, heavy and stodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Pasta bakes.
    I make exceptions for lasagne and cannelloni but other than these well thought out dishes, why would you cook up pasta, mix it with stuff and then put it in the oven?
    Dry, heavy and stodgy.

Personally I love pasta bakes (chicken or tuna)- easy and a big dish lasts half the week which appeals to my lazy cooking attitude. Your need to cook it covered in tin foil to retain moisture but yeah it does dry out after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Pasta bakes.
    Dry, heavy and stodgy.

My kids love pasta bake.Easy to cook and they eat every bite.Its my go to dinner when nobody knows what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Celebrity chefs and cooking shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Dogs. I don’t “get” them, and I don’t like them. Don’t get people who are obsessed by them and say things like, “Oh, I could never trust a person who doesn’t love dogs.” There. I’ve said it and I don’t care who knows !!

trashcan wrote: »
    Dogs. I don’t “get” them, and I don’t like them. Don’t get people who are obsessed by them and say things like, “Oh, I could never trust a person who doesn’t love dogs.” There. I’ve said it and I don’t care who knows !!
    You have to pick up their sh1t now too. Fook that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I certainly love our four legged friend but people who refer to their pets as "fur babies" I find slightly disturbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

A dog gives unconditional loyalty.

I love some breeds over other...

Tiny little dogs.....no way

Medium to large.......yes......spaniels, setters, labs, beagles

Would love an Irish Wolfhound

Hate status dogs.....mastiffs, pit bull, staffies ....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Is an Irish Wofhound not a status dog? Fairly makes a statement anyway.

micar wrote: »

But some people only love dogs that look a certain way!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

But some people only love dogs that look a certain way!

True ......there is a Beagle up the road that has been giving me the "side eye" for some time .

I find it oddly attractive.....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I certainly love our four legged friend but people who refer to their pets as "fur babies" I find slightly disturbing.

The irony being that a lot of those kind of people have never had a serious relationship with another person before, never mind a child, and thus are in no position to compare a "fur" baby to an actual human one.

Essentially a canine version of crazy cat ladies.

The irony being that a lot of those kind of people have never had a serious relationship with another person before, never mind a child, and thus are in no position to compare a "fur" baby to an actual human one.

Or they don't have kids because they don't want them and are looking after an animal with huge care and compassion which for the most part they dont get worldwide....which I see as a positive.

I have kids by the way, and a dog...our third. They both present different problems. Very hard when a dog goes. not crazy canine or cat people, they just love the pet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You have to pick up their sh1t now too. Fook that.

I'd like if all owners did that. Stepping into your fur baby's faeces is not pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 GCIREL

The D4 accent....nationwide. 1 member of a family sounding completely different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Celebrity chefs and cooking shows.

Donal Skeehan, I wish he'd just stay in the States and give us all a break, most of his recipes have been poached from someone else, he's way too chirpy for my liking. He's also way too feminine but then again that would suit his Swedish wife, they like their men completely emasculated.

I work with one of those, needless to say it's a woman, she has a cat and a dog that she never stops banging on about, If I were her boyfriend I would be seriously concerned. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, (cat's not so much) but you have to keep things in perspective.

Seamai wrote: »
    I work with one of those, needless to say it's a woman, she has a cat and a dog that she never stops banging on about, If I were her boyfriend I would be seriously concerned. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, (cat's not so much) but you have to keep things in perspective.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

This should come with a pet ownership handbook

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Lip fillers . I don’t get the big pouty lips that celebrities all get . Do they not get that they all look the same and so silly
    It's not just celebrities. There are lots of young girls getting it done. It looks dreadful.

• Advertisement

It's not just celebrities. There are lots of young girls getting it done. It looks dreadful.

Feels good though

Feels good though

Does it? I'd imagine the sensation is similar to that feeling you get just before a cold sore breaks out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I'd like if all owners did that. Stepping into your fur baby's faeces is not pleasant.

Nothing worse than going about your business and standing on a barkers egg.fcuk that

Feels good though
    For who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Is an Irish Wofhound not a status dog? Fairly makes a statement anyway.

Imagine the dump that comes out of a pony sized dog, you'd need a shovel.

micar wrote: »

I love some breeds over other...

Tiny little dogs.....no way

Medium to large.......yes......spaniels, setters, labs, beagles

Would love an Irish Wolfhound

Hate status dogs.....mastiffs, pit bull, staffies ....

The mastiffs and all are ok, it’s the typical owner of them that’s a twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Yep, sounds like me.

Not the bit about having a relationship, lots of them, but the bit about preferring a dog than a human baby.

Not interested in hearing about your spoilt mallet head Tristan's first tooth or his reaction to his 15th present from Santa or how you have to do choo choo train to get him to eat his custard or how Granny is called ga ga. Hilarious. My dog is way more interesting, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

anewme wrote: »
    Yep, sounds like me.

Not the bit about having a relationship, lots of them, but the bit about preferring a dog than a human baby.

Not interested in hearing about your spoilt mallet head Tristan's first tooth or his reaction to his 15th present from Santa or how you have to do choo choo train to get him to eat his custard or how Granny is called ga ga. Hilarious. My dog is way more interesting, thanks.

Poor Tristan, being described by his parent as spoilt and mallet-headed. Why would they even say that to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I've seen people on social media refer to their pet as their "son", their "little boy", their "little girl", and themselves as the pet's mommy or daddy. And then there's the nonsense dressing them up (apart from a blankety thing around them if they need it for warmth).

I love cats and dogs but the above sh1t is embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Or they don't have kids because they don't want them and are looking after an animal with huge care and compassion which for the most part they dont get worldwide....which I see as a positive.

But it's not. Dog's are dogs, they like to be treated and let behave like dogs.

A dog no more enjoys being treated like a person than a person would like being treated like a dog. These gobshítes who dress their dogs up and carry them around, or even wheel them in buggies ffs are nothing short of deranged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I don't get unpaid internships. If I'm working I want to be paid even if it's €50 a week. The learning excuse doesn't wash for me -- I'm always learning.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I've seen people on social media refer to their pet as their "son", their "little boy", their "little girl", and themselves as the pet's mommy or daddy. And then there's the nonsense dressing them up (apart from a blankety thing around them if they need it for warmth).

A former employee at my place took compassionate leave for a few days because his guinea pig died. He spent thousands in vet fees trying to keep the thing alive. His boss told him to get a grip as his work was being affected- he didnt like that. He was distraught- I kid you not.

Himself and his wife (both late 20s) also declared that they would never have children. Make of that what you may.

He also took his wife's surname to double barrel with his own because he felt it looked more respectable.

Fecking weirdo.

But it's not. Dog's are dogs, they like to be treated and let behave like dogs.

A dog no more enjoys being treated like a person than a person would like being treated like a dog. These gobshítes who dress their dogs up and carry them around, or even wheel them in buggies ffs are nothing short of deranged.

Living in England they honestly treat their pets better than humans- they are obsessed.

Growing up in rural Ireland, animals are for either eating or working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Growing up in rural Ireland, animals are for either eating or working.

Thankfully those times are gone/going.

He also took his wife's surname to double barrel with his own because he felt it looked more respectable.

Fecking weirdo.

I really don't see a problem with this.
    You wouldn't bat an eyelid if his wife took his name alone or doubled barreled it with hers.

I've often thought that the sensible thing to do would be to come up with a new name and you both take that - perhaps that could be an amalgamation of both names.

I kept my name and my wife kept hers but if you have kids (we don't), the kids end up with a different name to one of their parents.

PartyG, do you think the woman should always take the man's name?
    What about same sex marriages?

Edit, just noticed the bit "because he felt it looked more respectable"
    That's a stupid reason, if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Raconteuse wrote: »

They won't enrol my "young fella" in the local primary.

And it's an Educate Together! :mad:
    C'mon folks - it's 2020.

You wouldn't bat an eyelid if his wife took his name alone or doubled barreled it with hers.

I've often thought that the sensible thing to do would be to come up with a new name and you both take that - perhaps that could be an amalgamation of both names.

I kept my name and my wife kept hers but if you have kids (we don't), the kids end up with a different name to one of their parents.

I wouldn't think a double barreled name looks more respectable, it reeks of notions to me.

With regards to the same sex thing himself and I will just keep our own surnames, though I'd kinda like to like to work his confirmation name Vito (and yes he is Irish) into my name somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

If and its a bif we decide to get married,he will take my name.As the kids have my surname,and its easier for him to change his.Than all of us changing ours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Seamai wrote: »
    Donal Skeehan, I wish he'd just stay in the States and give us all a break, most of his recipes have been poached from someone else, he's way too chirpy for my liking. He's also way too feminine but then again that would suit his Swedish wife, they like their men completely emasculated.

Oh come on man. He wouldn't be my type either, and his "recipes" are bull****, but my mother loves him. Each to their own.

• Advertisement

Yeah he did it purely because he had 'notions'- he openly felt a double barrelled name would make him look like he descended from the landed gentry or some nonsense (BTW this is in England). Ironically, it has gone the opposite- double barrelled surnames have been taken over here usually by Council house dwelling chav single mothers with scrapped back hair and big hoopy ear rings.

With that and the guinea pig, he was away with the birds.

My wife kept her maiden name. Personally I never gave it a second and it was never even brought up in conversation. Though I would probably find it weird as 'Mrs Partyguinness' is my mother.

Advertisement