Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Assistant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

acork wrote: »
    I found NUCs expensive and got an Asus PN50 instead. Cost me ca. 300 euro as I had RAM sticks lying around.

Runs NextCloud, Home Assistant, lots of Docker containers and Netflix on a 4K TV.

I will never buy a tower PC again - this mini PC fits on your palm and uses 10-15W max.

Where did you get it for that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 acork

degsie wrote: »
    Where did you get it for that price?

On Amazon before the Brexit, Ryzen 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

acork wrote: »
    I found NUCs expensive and got an Asus PN50 instead. Cost me ca. 300 euro as I had RAM sticks lying around.

Runs NextCloud, Home Assistant, lots of Docker containers and Netflix on a 4K TV.

I will never buy a tower PC again - this mini PC fits on your palm and uses 10-15W max.

The NUCs were pricey when I was looking too but I got a good black friday discount on an already discounted amazon warehouse one so it wasn't too bad. This was back when amazon actually discounted things people wanted rather than tat from ali express

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

My Hassio installation seems to be broken and only solution is to re-install.
    Does anything know what files I'd need to copy to keep my automations etc? Just everything from the config folder maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

mcgovern wrote: »
    My Hassio installation seems to be broken and only solution is to re-install.
    Does anything know what files I'd need to copy to keep my automations etc? Just everything from the config folder maybe?

Everything from the config folder would be a good start. You will probably still be missing your Lovelace config though.

Had you made any snapshots? As they would contain all you need to recover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

No snapshots, I'm pretty terrible at anything related to backup.
    Not worried about Lovelace as I didn't do much with it.
    Thanks!

Thanks!

Well apart from Lovelace, I think everything else like automations, configurations and even any custom components should be in the config folder if you can still access it.

If you can do the new build on a new SD it may leave you with the option of trying to recover anything else that you find you are missing from the fresh install.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

Thanks!

There is an addon called 'Google Drive Backup' which will automate backups for you. More info can be found at: https://github.com/sabeechen/hassio-google-drive-backup

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭comete

Got the keys to a new house yesterday which presents the opportunity to start all over with my smart home ecosystem.

Will of course use homeassistant to manage everything, but are there any preferred smart doorbells? Had a ring doorbell in the previous house as there was no wiring for a doorbell and we needed the battery. It was fine, but we now have existing wiring for a doorbell which opens up more possibilities. Does nest integrate well into HA? The intention is to use the native doorbell app for viewing notifications etc, but using the exposed sensors to trigger other automations in HA.

We would also like to get a smart thermostat, any recommendations on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I'm using a ring2 which is grand so far in HA and it could use the existing wring without any further messing about, and some cheap stats you can get on Aliexpress/Amazon [brand is MOESHOUSE but they are all similar, use the TUYA/SMARTLIFE app], and add to google home, and then get picked up in HA.

• Advertisement

Grassey wrote: »
    I'm using a ring2 which is grand so far in HA and it could use the existing wring without any further messing about, and some cheap stats you can get on Aliexpress/Amazon [brand is MOESHOUSE but they are all similar, use the TUYA/SMARTLIFE app], and add to google home, and then get picked up in HA.

I've researched this a little, we currently have a ring with a battery but are planning to build in the next year or two. Doorbird is the one I think I've settled on as it allows you store to local storage without any ongoing fees

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

comete wrote: »
    Got the keys to a new house yesterday which presents the opportunity to start all over with my smart home ecosystem.

Will of course use homeassistant to manage everything, but are there any preferred smart doorbells? Had a ring doorbell in the previous house as there was no wiring for a doorbell and we needed the battery. It was fine, but we now have existing wiring for a doorbell which opens up more possibilities. Does nest integrate well into HA? The intention is to use the native doorbell app for viewing notifications etc, but using the exposed sensors to trigger other automations in HA.

We would also like to get a smart thermostat, any recommendations on this?

I've had a Netamo for years and I have found it brilliant, I've just bought a Tado setup as my house doesn't have any breakdown between areas of the house or hot water, for ~€500 I've been able to segment my house by room, it'd cost a lot more to do that by changing the boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭comete

On further investigation it looks like I might be limited to hive as I’ve oil central heating with a separate water tank, and not gas with a combi boiler.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

comete wrote: »
    On further investigation it looks like I might be limited to hive as I’ve oil central heating with a separate water tank, and not gas with a combi boiler.

I've an oil boiler with no zones, either everything (water and radiators) is on or nothing is on, I could go around turning radiators on and off but there's more to life (i.e. I'm a lazy prick). I've had a Netamo for years, got it free from Energia, I keep the wireless thermostat in the bedroom and just set the temp for the heat to turn on at, we've saved an absolute fortune thanks to it compared to the old timer system. Since lockdown heating was more difficult, being at home all day in a seated job meant the heat was going on more and more, I got a couple of heaters to confine to 1 room but that wasn't sustainable.

I've just pulled the trigger and ordered a Tado Thermostat and radiator controls, that should mean I've full zone heat in the house configurable down to a room level, works out a whole lot cheaper (and cleaner) than upgrading the heating system to a zonal system

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I've researched this a little, we currently have a ring with a battery but are planning to build in the next year or two. Doorbird is the one I think I've settled on as it allows you store to local storage without any ongoing fees

I got a Doorbird D101s last year and did a bit of testing. Never got around to fit it, yet. It's good alright, but that whole idea, that you can not set it up without cloud access, even though it's free, is really bugging me. If they ever shut the service down, you're left with a useless brick.

So I've now settled on an Alphago ALP-600, which has much the same functionality as the Doorbird, but is completely cloud free.

The Doorbird integrates with OpenHAB, which I use, and I believe also Home Assistant. There's also a 3rd party Alexa skill, so that it'll at least announce that somebody is at the door.

The Alphago took a bit fettling to get integrated, but it can do http calls on ringing the doorbell or motion, so it didn't take much.

Both of these also integrate with the Fritz!Box, that many internet provider now supply.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 44 redzer_irl

Started playing around with it
    At the moment have
    Smartthings
    Virgin Media Broadband
    TV
    HomeSecure alarm.
    As it is a AJAX system got the custom component from here.

https://github.com/eavanvalkenburg/sia

If you are going to use it you will need to convert your account to hex.
    Just google ascii to hex
    Are you still under contract with HomeSecure?

I'm interested in getting an alarm system which integrates with Home Assistant and their Ajax system looks good but I was wondering if they allow the SIA integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

redzer_irl wrote: »
    Are you still under contract with HomeSecure?

I'm interested in getting an alarm system which integrates with Home Assistant and their Ajax system looks good but I was wondering if they allow the SIA integration.

Take anything from homesecure with a pinch of salt. Their zerowire system was z wave based and they claimed (even in writing) that I've have access to the system to add devices etc.... Never came through. As soon as contract expired it got ripped out and replace with a ring alarm which integrates really well with HA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

are there anyone else doing ajax systems installation in dublin?

my house is wired for sensors. is there anything that can be wired and also connect to HA?

i see ajax is wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

Have a look at the Konnected alarm module. If it can be wired to your existing sensors /panel, it will import them into HA.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

I'd recommend the Konnected module too, if you're comfortable enough wiring them in. They are sensitive to overvoltages though, I've blown a couple of the ESP modules that way and had to replace them

• Advertisement

thanks willl look into Konnected.

we got smart meter installed. do you know if this ESB's smart meter can be connected to HA?

not sure how much smart are these and if any smart features are accessible to resident.

I haven't see anyone get API access to one for HA integration yet.

If you are signed up to a smart tariff you can track your energy usage hourly from your providers website. And get different rates according to time of day Day/Night/Peak etc. Maybe you could use web scraping to get the data depending on your providers use of CAPTCHA's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

It is not that hard to do web scraping to get the readings. Unfortunately you can only get reading if you have smart meter plan(at least that is the case wit my provider) and smart meter plans do not make financial sense.

The smart meters can be read directly using optical sensor. Have a look here and here. The easiest way is still just to get a meter with a clamp like shelly or something similar.

interesting idea. thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Brianb8802

Ajax released a multi transmitter module last year which allows their system to be connected into existing wired sensors. You just pull the wires from the old system and wire them into the multi transmitter, it has capacity for up to 18 zones. Seems to sell for about €160.

See here for more info.

https://ajax.systems/products/multitransmitter/

I've moved into a new build which is pre wired and I'm planning on putting one of these in and buying sensors from the local wholesaler.

thank you @Brianb8802 this suits very well to my needs.

are you planning to do self install or use local installer to connect all these wires?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Brianb8802

I'm going to attempt it myself, I'm sure there'll be a few youtube videos going through how to wire and set it all up.

Only thing I'm unsure of is I've heard I may need resistors when I'm installing the window and door sensors, depends on how the cables have been looped. Have to do a bit of research before I get into all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Hi all,

Just moved into my new build house and am looking to get into Home Assistant initially for the energy monitoring side of things but might move on from there. I'm getting a Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB off Santa Claus in a couple of weeks and my primary task is to get some handle on my energy consumption. My house is a new build with an air-to-water heat pump but also I have 6.1kWp solar PV and I just want get a handle on this and maybe monitor some of the bigger users with the house eg Washer and Dryer.

What are you guys using for energy monitoring, I have been looking at the ShellyEM and I have my Solis inverter already connected to their cloud service so I pull down data on that.

I am totally new to HA and have very basic programming skills but part of this is just a hobby to learn.

Thanks

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Probably not the best approach but what I do and/or am in the process of implementing (slash tinkering with multiple half finished jobs) ...

* home assistant glow - to measure total energy usage

* 4 Athmos pre-flashed tasmota plugs from Aliexpress to monitor the dryer, washer, dishwasher, fridge

* all the bulbs in the house have been replaced with hue/innr/tradfri/yeelight etc and I use the powercalc integration to monitor their energy draw

* for some things like TV I've a virtual powercalc entity setup that records a 0.5 W when on standby, and 90W when it's on

* clamps at fusebox for hob/cookers, heatpump.

I'm also trying to get several temperature probes connected to an esp8266 board so I can measure the hot water level in the tank.

Home assistant is a dangerous timesink 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Let us know how you get on.

I am in a very similar situation and will be moving to a new build house early next year, and my plan is very similar, including the bit with th Raspberri Pi 4 and the Shelly PMs!

Advertisement