Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you have been lured into gangland crime as teenager/child?

Options
  • 18-01-2020 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,284 ✭✭✭✭

We often hear the crime boss lure teenagers into the criminal World by showering them with gifts such as dessigner clothes, games consoles, etc. This is how the get them into the underworld to carry out criminal activity for them.

As a teenager I probably wouldn't have been lured into a life of crime mainly because my parents would never have left it happened if they spotted me getting all this stuff that they didn't buy me.
    I do believe I would have some idea what was happening at that age. I'd have been very suspicious of somebody giving me gifts in order for me to carry packages for them, etc.
    I'd also feel very guilty about doing the slightest thing wrong.
    However I was a tad naive at times and if my circumstances did change a lot who knows what could have happened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm a country boy, so the liklihood was a lot less than city kids. But, if it wasn't for my parents, I could still be involved. Had a friend who ended up being heavily involved with a major criminal gang in our county, and the parents basically stopped me from hanging out with him when I was 16. So I suppose I could have been, but I probably wouldn't have been able to do half the stuff that 17 year old was. I would find it very hard to perform a victim crime on an innocent person.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

If I had suddenly acquired expensive things as a child or teen my parents would have reacted immediately. If they found out I was involved with a crime gang I'd have been dragged and kicked to the Garda station, so there was no chance of me ever becoming a gangland statistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nope, would have gone home to ask what drugs were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Easily. I’m from Drogheda, minutes walk away from where young Keane lived. It’s always been a rough area. I turned to sport, and later, education to get out of it. I still go to Mountjoy a few times a year to visit friends who weren’t so lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

Teenagers who join these people are genetically criminally disposed. It's nothing to do with circumstance, society, or anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

I was honestly too much of an introvert to even associate with my family let alone the outside world. When I did go out with friends, parents needed have worried as I was in my front garden or on my road. To go beyond my road, to even venture to the shops was an adventure to me so if i suddenly came home with things like designer watches or bikes, my parents would be sending me to the guards themselves. The same goes to my children. You could be the riches parents, or poorest but you can still instill the right from wrongs throughout life. It's absolutely shocking the carry on that's been happening but to murder and dismember a 17 year old, you've got to be a psychopath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

We often hear the crime boss lure teenagers into the criminal World by showering them with gifts such as dessigner clothes, games consoles, etc. This is how the get them into the underworld to carry out criminal activity for them.

As a teenager I probably wouldn't have been lured into a life of crime mainly because my parents would never have left it happened if they spotted me getting all this stuff that they didn't buy me.
    I do believe I would have some idea what was happening at that age. I'd have been very suspicious of somebody giving me gifts in order for me to carry packages for them, etc.
    I'd also feel very guilty about doing the slightest thing wrong.
    However I was a tad naive at times and if my circumstances did change a lot who knows what could have happened.

I was incredibly naive. I was groomed online by a sexual predator at 14 with lies so obvious I’m actually able to look back and laugh now (but only because I managed to extract myself from the situation before anything *too* awful happened)

I believed him without question.

I can only imagine given that idiocy I could have been drawn into other stuff by cunning, manipulative adults if it had been going on in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Some of my cousins went to school with and grew up with some of the Crumlin/Drimnagh gang members , however my Aunt was more terrifying than any gang member so my cousins chose a life of education and gainful employment .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Lyan wrote: »
    Teenagers who join these people are genetically criminally disposed. It's nothing to do with circumstance, society, or anything else.

Can you back this up with some research or is it just your opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

An interesting question is how come there are lots who come from a not so great situation, didn't gel with school, their lives turn out to be bouncing from social welfare to so so jobs and they still do not get involved with crime.

Those joining gangs or involved in crime are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No, I was fortunate enough that my parents were on the ball, in education to the dangers of the outside big bad world and always on the ball... I’ve always had a keen radar for trouble, troublesome situations and people who were trouble and untrustworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Yes, without a doubt. Came very close only for my parents moving out of the area.

I was bullied a lot as a 12-15 year old, a local gang of scum made my life hell. Couldn't go anywhere without them hopping on me. Attempted to throw me into the liffey one night only adults intervened. Anyway, I started associating with others a tier above this scum and the torment stopped. So I felt secure. These used to knock out a bit of stuff, from weed to harder stuff (but absolutely no smack). From 15-18 my weekends revolved around the rave scene of the early 90's (I still think of this period as the best time I ever had).

At 18 my parents were now very tuned into what my mates were involved with and were not happy. They put the gaf up for sale and moved to the other side of the city. Needless to say I wasn't happy. Within a year of us moving my old gang of mates split in half with both sides accusing the other of a rip. There were a lot of tit for tat shootings with a few deaths. The street I grew up on turned into a war zone. Have a lot of gratitude to my parents for getting tf out of there when they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Can you back this up with some research or is it just your opinion?

Are you saying you haven’t heard of the gangsta gene?

Bull****.

Strumms wrote: »
    No, I was fortunate enough that my parents were on the ball, in education to the dangers of the outside big bad world and always on the ball... I’ve always had a keen radar for trouble, troublesome situations and people who were trouble and untrustworthy.

That is huge factor as well having the gut instinct to avoid trouble, not being the one outside with a fork when its raining soup.

mariaalice wrote: »
    An interesting question is how come there are lots who come from a not so great situation, didn't gel with school, their lives turn out to be bouncing from social welfare to so so jobs and they still do not get involved with crime.

Those joining gangs or involved in crime are in the minority.
    I would imagine parents play a big part in how their kids act.
    We spent 5 years living in a council house. Majority of our neighbours were sound but there was a few that they and their kids were utter toerags. Our oldest son despite our efforts started knocking around with these a**holes. We decided the only way out was to remove him from their influence. Borrowed for a deposit ( crazy that you could that then) bought a house out the country . Best decision we ever made. Both our sons, grew to love the countryside as do my wife and I. Older son went to college, earned his degree and a master's . He is now 28 ,a serving Garda for the last two years. The gob****es he was hanging around with, two I believe are dead, 1 in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Have family members that were intimately involved in serious criminality.
    I know many people who've been shot, I have had threats against my family home because of actions of family members.
    Have had a cousin completely uninvolved in any criminality who coincidentally who was murdered in a case of mistaken identity.

Some of my circle of friends as a teen are amongst the most powerful and connected criminals in the mid-west, some are dead and some are plodding along living a normal life.
    I'm harder than all of them, I am smarter than them all too bar maybe 1. I didn't become a criminal, I got into metal :P and left Ireland at 17.

There is a rush to blame genetics, environment and myriad other things for youth crime.
    It's not that easy, I grew up the eldest of a big family.
    In a deprived and crime ridden area.
    I'm not a criminal, but some of my siblings are.
    Funnily enough, it is the siblings who had maximum attention and intervention at every step of their descent to criminality that ended up scumbags ;)

Whilst those siblings who were left on the sidelines whilst the Garda activity programme, Barnados, juvenile diversion programme and every other agency with a cheque to chase, paid huge attention to and frankly rewarded outrageous behaviour.

The rest of my siblings looked on wondering what they had to do to get noticed.

One of the things I'm happiest about ever achieving in my life to date, was taking my Mam and all my siblings on their 1st foreign holiday, of looking after them whenever they came out to visit us and showing them it's not just crime that can bring reward.

I would imagine parents play a big part in how their kids act.
    We spent 5 years living in a council house. Majority of our neighbours were sound but there was a few that they and their kids were utter toerags. Our oldest son despite our efforts started knocking around with these a**holes. We decided the only way out was to remove him from their influence. Borrowed for a deposit ( crazy that you could that then) bought a house out the country . Best decision we ever made. Both our sons, grew to love the countryside as do my wife and I. Older son went to college, earned his degree and a master's . He is now 28 ,a serving Garda for the last two years. The gob****es he was hanging around with, two I believe are dead, 1 in prison.

Much respect to you. Great you recognised and took action to ensure your children had a good life. It's a sad reality that prison or death is usually where this lifestyle leads.

Much respect to you. Great you recognised and took action to ensure your children had a good life. It's a sad reality that prison or death is usually where this lifestyle leads.

Thanks, we were lucky. Other parents unfortunately can't do what we did and some couldn't give a monkeys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No I definitely couldn't.
    My parents were too street wise when I was a kid.
    By the time I was 18 I was too street wise myself to take that path.
    Just lucky maybe, I'm not sure but that's how it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

god no. The worst thing I did as a teenager was share a sneaky fag behind the school shed or use my older sister's ID to get langered on Bacardi Breezers (and get grounded for two weeks for the privilege)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I was in the He-man woman haters club when i was a kid. Its all behing me now i grew out of it thank god. I miss the life though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Joe Friday: Are you sure this is the woman you saw in the post office?

Mr. Burns: Absolutely! Who could forget such a monstrous visage? She has the sloping brow and cranial bumpage of the career criminal.

Waylon Smithers: Uh, Sir? Phrenology was dismissed as quackery 160 years ago.

Mr. Burns: Of course you'd say that... you have the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

To some people it's probably in the family and others might just grow into it. I know friends from school who were scumbags but they've come good and lead normal family lives. I also know a few who make a serious living selling drugs and are able to live lavish lives off the back of that without ever working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Maybe. My ex boyfriend from when I was 16 is a gangland criminal. He was not involved at the time and neither was his family. He's a significant player now having been the best student in his year and got a very good LC. I'm fairly sure I would have walked away from anyone involved, but who knows? My parents were ineffective and clueless so they wouldn't have kept me out of it. Many of my neighbours at home are heavily involved. I'm glad my parents sent us to school elsewhere anyway, that may be the one good parenting decision they made.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Why a teenager or child in a rich country like Ireland would be involved in those things if they not need? Never understood why in some developed countries have local criminals if is so easy to find a job and buy anything they want..

Das Reich wrote: »
    Why a teenager or child in a rich country like Ireland would be involved in those things if they not need? Never understood why in some developed countries have local criminals if is so easy to find a job and buy anything they want..

Read the thread, you may find reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Read the thread, you may find reasons.

Did read the three pages before posting.

• Advertisement

A criminal allegedly involved in a protection racket is married to a solicitor, there was a well know and dangerous criminal who has a brother who was a lecturer in Trinity College.

While background is a massive issue there is more to it than that.

Advertisement