Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you have been lured into gangland crime as teenager/child?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I grew up in the arse end of nowhere, what is this gangland crime you talk about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Das Reich wrote: »
    Did read the three pages before posting.

I'll repeat what I said in my post. Getting involved with a gang gave me protection from another gang who could have killed me many times. As a young, quiet, scared teenager they probably saved my life. Luckily, my parents got me out before things went to crap for said gang.

Edit: apologies, I think I misread your original question. The answer to that is not all people want jobs and want to be seen as big men throwing their weight around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My parents would have killed me.
    I could not have arrived home with ANYTHING they did not think I had the money to buy.
    So, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I looked this up, them Canada Goose jackets are easily 1000 euro so any parent seeing their child with expensive clothes they know the child could not afford and ignoring it are just as culpable.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Probably fairly easily. I'm from a bad area and a poor family. I chose to focus on school instead. Not everyone I know made the same choice, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Without reading the thread, I predict a 90% probability of Pulling Myself Up By Me Bootstrings From The Council Estate tales.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Without reading the thread, I predict a 90% probability of Pulling Myself Up By Me Bootstrings From The Council Estate tales.

Threads like this are always like that, that's why its a far more interesting question as to why people don't get involved in criminality despite being surrounded by it, not being brilliant in school, not having many choices in life they still don't get involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Not one bit given my upbringing/the environment I grew up in, but had my circumstances been different? Can't say for sure that I wouldn't.

The OP talked about the rewarding of the kids who get involved, but I've heard also that they can be intimidated into getting involved.
    Lyan wrote: »
    Teenagers who join these people are genetically criminally disposed. It's nothing to do with circumstance, society, or anything else.
    Ah there has to be some degree of environmental influence.
    my weekends revolved around the rave scene of the early 90's (I still think of this period as the best time I ever had).
    And everyone else who was there. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Yes I think I could have lured into something like that at a certain age.
    Not sure how far I would have went with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Nope....me mother would have “bate” me black and blue...first off.. where did you get that from? Woodenspoon produced..father informed...(smacked on every syllable)...frogmarched to the Gardai (like they would care now)...then no dinner for that night... then for a week...THE LOOK!!!

The LOOK was all that was needed..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

mariaalice wrote: »
    Threads like this are always like that, that's why its a far more interesting question as to why people don't get involved in criminality despite being surrounded by it, not being brilliant in school, not having many choices life they still don't get involved.

The overwhelming majority in those areas don't end up as serious criminals a la currently in the news recently, even the ones from broken or dysfunctional homes. The assumption that it's genetic is stupid but people shouldn't understate the mix of personality and environment that can lead to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Nope. Good family, good upbringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

A criminal allegedly involved in a protection racket is married to a solicitor, there was a well know and dangerous criminal who has a brother who was a lecturer in Trinity College.

While background is a massive issue there is more to it than that.

Notorious 1990s gangland figure George "The Penguin" Mitchell is a cousin of the former TD Gay Mitchell and the late Jim Mitchell TD, both are/were highly respected figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Nope. Good family, good upbringing.

That means nothing.
    I know plenty of folk who were born with a silver spoon, had great family life and who have been given resources and opportunities galore.
    Yet who are as prone to criminality and violence as the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

banie01 wrote: »
    That means nothing.
    I know plenty of folk who were born with a silver spoon, had great family life and who have been given resources and opportunities galore.

You know Boris Johnson?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I didn't grow up in a culture of criminality so, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No. My parents always insisted on knowing who I was with and where I was.
    And they checked.
    I had a time to be home by and I learned not to be late. Late and I was grounded.
    There’s no great mystery to raising kids. You have to work hard at it and be strict but fair. People including kids respect rules if property enforced.

Raised mine the same way and never had any problems thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Pfft. I couldn't even sneak out of school at lunchtime for a shift with a lad down by the canal with my wagon of a mother patrolling the town. A life of crime, me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,345 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Threads like this are always like that, that's why its a far more interesting question as to why people don't get involved in criminality despite being surrounded by it, not being brilliant in school, not having many choices in life they still don't get involved.

An interesting question is how come there are lots who come from a not so great situation, didn't gel with school, their lives turn out to be bouncing from social welfare to so so jobs and they still do not get involved with crime.

Those joining gangs or involved in crime are in the minority.

Start a thread on it then!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Nope drugs were bad the idiots taking them rarely had money so no real business to be made from selling them especially if you'd have to break heads of your clientele on a regular basis. Too much work too much risk for a minor return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Was asked to be a bookkeeper for small time drug dealer before, life could have been exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Paddy223

Upon watching the efforts and work of a martial arts group to help young people in Leixlip tonight on Winning Streak it really makes me wonder why there shouldn't be more concentration on opening gyms of these types in some of the drug fuelled areas were young children are groomed. The Government of course should be investing and also so called idols like McGregor should be putting their money into setting up these gyms rather than investing cash into designer clothes which is just gonna make young kids try and imitate them and make them more likely to turn to the streets to make the easy money to fill this fantasy of wearing expensive clothes and showing power.If kids had facilities to go in the evening to get their dinner after school, help with their homework and then coached in MMA or boxing it could do wonders in keeping them away from the claws of drug bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Paddy223 wrote: »
    .If kids had facilities to go in the evening to get their dinner after school, help with their homework and then coached in MMA or boxing it could do wonders in keeping them away from the claws of drug bosses.

Or it could deliver an army of educated, disciplined and well trained ninjas into the hands of the local drug lord!!!

How would we stop them then? ;)

In all seriousness interventions are important, but quite often the money pumped into facilities and diversion for problem areas has no effect on the criminality.

Boxing in particular is quite tainted by its association with a large swathe of criminal activity.
    Amateurs and professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A nine bar was the the biggest risk you could take on in the 90’s as a teenager

Giving too much tick would get you into bother on pay day

Different times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

There's plenty of facilities in most of these areas. And unfortunately some of the facilities I'm familiar with are well connected with criminals and used as recruiting grounds. There's one up and coming football club that's basically a criminal social club. Handy for grooming the young lads to use as goons too.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

Bull****.

It's evolutionary science, not feelings.

TheW1zard wrote: »
    I was in the He-man woman haters club when i was a kid. Its all behing me now i grew out of it thank god. I miss the life though

That's mad. I was in the rival gang: No Boys Allowed Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

banie01 wrote: »
    That means nothing.

Not my experience at all but you're right in that I should have also added, 'not an idiot' to my original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Not my experience at all but you're right in that I should have also added, 'not an idiot' to my original post.

Nor mine, but you've got to admit it sounds great, like the plot to some big Scorcese blockbuster. Real-life is typically a bit more predictable and boring and the silver spooners who fall foul of the law tend to do so in white-collar circles, tax evading CEOs and politicians with brown paper envelopes and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 crazy maisie

Not a chance. I grew up in an area of Dublin that was And still is rife with gangs etc. You know who the dangerous people were, you knew what happened if involved with them as a teenager so should stir clear. You just know..... it's a choice you make.
    I was in no way well off and still took the straight and legal route to living my life.

Advertisement