Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Duffy Motors taking the piss and acting unprofessionally

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I have run out of patience and am now considering my next steps. Should I contact BMW Motorrad?
    Late to the thread and it's resolved, but issues like that you have to go to BMW Motorrad Ireland. I had an issue with them where they acted very unprofessionally when I was handing over €20k cash for a bike, (no trade in) and they were unbelievably bad. Was talking to a guy who had a similar problem with them and he got sorted when he contacted BMI. I did the same and literally the next day they "found" the lost document they said they sent me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Deadlift kid

I paid the fine on the 14th March, advised Joe Duffy of the payment. Despite my best efforts and well over two months since I first brought this to their attention I am still awaiting payment of my money. In the meantime I still do not know if the registration issue has been resolved.

Just a guess here I may be wrong but id imagine by paying the €60 penalty you're admitting liability of said incident.. I wouldn't say you have any come-back its like a contract but I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I have managed to check with the vehicle registration people and I understand that it is not. I will however keep an eye on that.

It's not resolved until it's resolved in Shannon.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Cienciano wrote: »
    Late to the thread and it's resolved, but issues like that you have to go to BMW Motorrad Ireland. I had an issue with them where they acted very unprofessionally when I was handing over €20k cash for a bike, (no trade in) and they were unbelievably bad. Was talking to a guy who had a similar problem with them and he got sorted when he contacted BMI. I did the same and literally the next day they "found" the lost document they said they sent me. :rolleyes:

I think you might have been lucky. I too had an issue with a BMW dealer , who was not in Dublin. Eventually had to contact BMW Motorrad and they sent an initial very good reply. But later the reply I received was simple a copy of the reply from the dealer. I think BMW Motorrad IE might be just the few dealers working together

Good you got sorted. But bad dealer experience must have a knock-on affect on saled of BMW m/c's here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ratracer wrote: »
    So now we know JDM are keeping an eye on boards ;)

LOL, you're not wrong.

DEV!L I'm sure remember's when legal action was threatened against something I'd posted here a few years back.

My own experience with JDM has been mixed. A few years ago I swore I'd never deal with them again, I won't go into all the details.

When my son was changing bikes he fanced an 800GS JDM had on their floor, although I'd sworn I'd never deal with them again I very reluctantly went with him.

And honestly I found them great to deal with, a completely different attitude and we bought two bikes instead of one lol!.

I'd one smallish problem with the bike which they fixed under warranty no problem, and because its got a full service history I wanted to keep that up so I left the bike back (out of warranty now) for a service, and was supplied with a loan of a bike for the day free of charge.

Personally I'd have no problems going back to them, but that's not defending them against whats happened to the OP.

OP that's dreadful treatment, I'm sorry to hear you were treated like that but I'd imagine most large dealerships are going to have their major f*cks from time to time, we all hope we're not the one on the sh*tty end of the stick.

I'd hope they'd offer you something as way of compensation, I'd be pushing for at least a free major service. I wouldn't be happy with my 60 quid and an apology.

• Advertisement

They probably know you at this stage Mak and keep you happy. I remember I went in for a service, (never a loan bike available for me in about 15 services) and they "hadn't time" to do the bike, so it wasn't started. Routine service btw. After getting the bus all the way out to finglas I find this out because they were apparently too busy for a phone call too. Annoying as fúck, glad I just deal with Robbie in mototechnic now, no bullshít.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

LOL, you're not wrong.

DEV!L I'm sure remember's when legal action was threatened against something I'd posted here a few years back.

I threatened the same in the shop and they brush it off like water off a ducks back. I have a thread here somewhere complaining about them. We spent 80k in a two year period. I'll never set foot in the place again after how I was treated in January 2018 when I picked up my 1200 GSA.

D3V!L wrote: »
    I threatened the same in the shop and they brush it off like water off a ducks back. I have a thread here somewhere complaining about them. We spent 80k in a two year period. I'll never set foot in the place again after how I was treated in January 2018 when I picked up my 1200 GSA.

I went in to pick up my brand new 1200 GSA and it was in the wrong colour and had the wrong tyres on it. Not massive, the colour is minor details as it's not much on the particular model I got and they offered to change the tyres, but disappointing to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

This is an interesting thread.
    I am buying at the moment, paid a deposit by credit card over the phone (they called).
    I have nothing from them: receipt for deposit; spec of bike; delivery date; bank details for final payment. I have a business card.
    This morning I sent an e-mail asking for something/anything.

I am buying at the moment, paid a deposit by credit card over the phone (they called).
    I have nothing from them: receipt for deposit; spec of bike; delivery date; bank details for final payment. I have a business card.

Cancel and go to Kearys or elsewhere. Not worth the hassle.

• Advertisement

Cancel and go to Kearys or elsewhere. Not worth the hassle.
    I spoke to them on the phone a few minutes ago.
    The person who took the call is new to the motorcycle section, and is working to improve things.
    The name on the business card has left the business.
    The person who took my call will contact me next Tuesday. He could act earlier but I asked him take time and do things right.

That's similar to me. But at least you paid CC, I paid cash. Here's my story:

Waiting list for new bikes (1200GSA was new enough out, big demand). Paid the deposit. Went through the extras, heated grips, panniers etc etc, agreed on all of them. This was hand written on piece of paper. Left the shop then a couple of days later realised I had no receipt after handing over cash. Called the shop, they said they'd send it out. Few weeks later, nothing, called the shop again. I actually confirmed a few of the details like the tyres and colour this time. They said they'd send it out. Nothing. I forgot about it. Finally get a call from JD, bike has arrived. Great weather (like yesterday) so went in to collect, still have zero documentation to show I was buying a bike from them! One GSA in the showroom, assumed it wasn't mine cos wrong tyres and colour. It was mine. Took it anyway cos when you've been waiting months the tyres and colours aren't too big deal, especially when it's sunny and you just want to ride it.

Call back a month later to get panniers fitted. There was a delay on the panniers who were made by a 3rd party company who couldn't keep up with demand. Guy insists I didn't pay for the panniers. I have no receipt. I ask "who agrees the price of bike and decides to pay for 1 optional extra separately?". Now it's 2 sales guys insisting that's exactly what I did. I was an idiot so I paid (about €900) but I thought I'd get the money back cos I knew they were wrong. About a week later I met a guy outside Scut Fagans who bought an RT from them recently and they did the exact same thing to him. He complained to Motorrad Ireland and got an apology and refund a few days later. I called MI and told them what happened and then gott a phone call from the sales guy from JD a couple of days later who magically "found" the piece of paper with the extras we agreed on and the panniers were there, he was sorry and will refund the €900 back onto my card. This is probably 5 months after we originally first sat down and the deposit was paid. :rolleyes:

I often wondered why they would behave like this and get away with it. But one thing I know is, my deposit was for €1000 cash, the panniers were close to it (around €900). And a sales guy who was not involved in the sale backed the other guy up without knowing the details of what was agreed. Guy I talked to outside Scut Fagans said he wasn't the first guy it happened to either. The main guy involved has long since gone, but I don't know about the second guy.

^
    That is what happens in business when there is no "nuts and bolts guy/girl (in the accounting/bookkeeping/administration sense)" .
    The ordering (purchasing) is probably getting the same treatment i.e. people forgetting to do things, blaming others, blaming the customer.

Everyone is running around "closing deals" and trying to impress the boss.
    Behind them is a trail of destruction.

I've been landed with a few of those clean up situations in my time.
    The guy I spoke to made me a promise. Will he deliver?

^
    That is what happens in business when there is no "nuts and bolts guy/girl (in the accounting/bookkeeping/administration sense)" .
    The ordering (purchasing) is probably getting the same treatment i.e. people forgetting to do things, blaming others, blaming the customer.

Everyone is running around "closing deals" and trying to impress the boss.
    Behind them is a trail of destruction.

I've been landed with a few of those clean up situations in my time.
    The guy I spoke to made me a promise. Will he deliver?

I assume that because you paid with CC you'll be ok. But from my experience, asking someone to take their time to do it right means they'll leave it on the long finger! I'd be looking for that receipt asap, there's absolutely no excuse from JD not to have something straight away. If it's done by phone, you should have it in a maximum of 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I often wondered why they would behave like this and get away with it. But one thing I know is, my deposit was for €1000 cash, the panniers were close to it (around €900).

*strokes chin*

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I assume that because you paid with CC you'll be ok. But from my experience, asking someone to take their time to do it right means they'll leave it on the long finger! I'd be looking for that receipt asap, there's absolutely no excuse from JD not to have something straight away. If it's done by phone, you should have it in a maximum of 3 days.

I'm confused

A. Because why aren't these on the computer system I'm sure their cars are.
    B. If it's a written book job why the carbon copy isn't being handed over.

Wacker down he back lane has a three piece carbon copy book for receipts whether he stands over he 3 month gear box or not.

I'd complain to motorad Europe tbh.

Update on my Joe Duffy contacts
    Last week I paid 20k+, the balance owed on the new bike.
    I have no idea of a delivery date. In early May I was told end of June.

On 22nd May I sent an e-mail to my contact in Joe Duffy (the person who is taking charge of customers) asking about accessories and clothing, about 3k worth.
    No response as yet (18th June).
    I have not had a bike for 35 years and need full kit.

I phoned this morning, 18th June, and was told he was on a call and would phone me.
    No call.

This week I ordered Alt-Berg boots from the UK (size 8 1/2, Wide), delivery on 16th August.
    I contacted a motorcycle dealer in Dublin asking about an Arai helmet, and will buy from them.

I sent an e-mail on 20th May to a very well know supplier of touring accessories and bike accessories. No reply.

Is the motorcycle trade too busy to deal with customers? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

They can be busy enough. But JD are known for being absolute bastards to try and deal with.

I'm sure one of their lads will be along to read the thread soon and you'll get a 'random' call to go over it.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    They can be busy enough. But JD are known for being absolute bastards to try and deal with.

I'm sure one of their lads will be along to read the thread soon and you'll get a 'random' call to go over it.

They're also known to put pressure on boards.ie to remove posts they dont agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

They're also known to put pressure on boards.ie to remove posts they dont agree with.

I've had one interaction with JD only a few weeks ago. The absolute disdain they showed me because I didn't line up with their usual buyer was shocking.

To hell with them.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I've had one interaction with JD only a few weeks ago. The absolute disdain they showed me because I didn't line up with their usual buyer was shocking.

To hell with them.

Let me guess !! You asked for a bike with none of the extras :eek:

edit - Post count of the beast !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Were they removed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

RustyNut wrote: »
    Were they removed?

Yup, and edited in other cases.

Because of their sheer rudeness and inability to deal with customers I have had to drive a bike older than a year !!! And get this BUY NEW TYRES !!

OOOOoooh the indignity :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Update on my Joe Duffy contacts
    Last week I paid 20k+, the balance owed on the new bike.
    I have no idea of a delivery date. In early May I was told end of June.

Silly question, maybe: but why on earth are you paying in full, in advance, for a bike not even in the country, let alone in the shop.......... ? I've been buying & selling my whole life, and I've yet to have the luxury of full payment in advance of supplying a product (that wasn't on the floor, ready to go out the door).........

On 22nd May I sent an e-mail to my contact in Joe Duffy (the person who is taking charge of customers) asking about accessories and clothing, about 3k worth.
    No response as yet (18th June).
    I have not had a bike for 35 years and need full kit.

I phoned this morning, 18th June, and was told he was on a call and would phone me.
    No call.

This week I ordered Alt-Berg boots from the UK (size 8 1/2, Wide), delivery on 16th August.
    I contacted a motorcycle dealer in Dublin asking about an Arai helmet, and will buy from them.

I sent an e-mail on 20th May to a very well know supplier of touring accessories and bike accessories. No reply.

Is the motorcycle trade too busy to deal with customers? :confused:

+1 on the Altbergs - bought mine there for the same reason (width).

On the motorcycle trade front, the only experience I have with JD was for car parts (admittedly small), and the first ones were wrong. Done over the phone etc, I'll chalk it up to awkardness drilling down to the right part (part for a convertible hood). The second time, I had the car in their car park, he looked it, took the VIN and..............they're still wrong. Anyone looking for two odd-ball pieces of plastic fora 911 just let me know.... :rolleyes:

As for trade in general: well I've been to JD twice, and Keary's twice, to see the new small 310's. Neither had any in stock. The last guy told me he'd just started in 'bikes' (so knows nothing about them...) and had never heard or seen of them. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Makes you wonder what the qualification for bike sales in places like that is....

In general though, the bike business here is a tough place to be, with tight margins. So much stuff is bought over the internet (e.g. from UK), that it's rare to find a 'full service' bike shop these days with the depth of knowledge/staff that people would like. You literally could not afford to stock a shop in depth as I assume so many people will come/look/try on....and then toddle off to the internet anyway. And this means shops here will be lightly staffed.

In the West now (Galway), there are no bike shops. Nearest is Athlone or Limerick. There used to be ...3 ? I've gone to Cork a couple of times even for stuff/to look.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

galwaytt wrote: »
    In the West now (Galway), there are no bike shops.

You'll hafta open one lol!

Silly question, maybe: but why on earth are you paying in full, in advance, for a bike not even in the country, let alone in the shop.......... ? I've been buying & selling my whole life, and I've yet to have the luxury of full payment in advance of supplying a product (that wasn't on the floor, ready to go out the door).........
    What would I do with the money for two weeks? I would not get interest on it.
    You make it sound like I have made a terrible blunder by not withholding payment until the bike is physically handed over to me.
    Payment of that amount is by electronic funds transfer. If I waited until the day the bike is available for collection I would be delaying collection by up to four days.
    I am not a financial rookie. My occupation was in finance.
    The bike is now in the country, but not yet with the dealer.

Today I bought a helmet, jacket, trousers, gloves at another motorcycle dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

What would I do with the money for two weeks? I would not get interest on it.
    You make it sound like I have made a terrible blunder by not withholding payment until the bike is physically handed over to me.
    Payment of that amount is by electronic funds transfer. If I waited until the day the bike is available for collection I would be delaying collection by up to four days.
    I am not a financial rookie. My occupation was in finance.
    The bike is now in the country, but not yet with the dealer.

Today I bought a helmet, jacket, trousers, gloves at another motorcycle dealer.

It's not a matter of the money per se, it's more a matter of prudence : as one above poster has said - and has direct experience of - until you rock up to the shop to see your bike, you have no idea it's even the spec you ordered , the right colour.......or damaged....or....(take your pick). I'm sure 99 times out of 100 it works out swimmingly.

But who wants to be the 1% ?

And an EFT does not take 4 days.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

It's not a matter of the money per se, it's more a matter of prudence : as one above poster has said - and has direct experience of - until you rock up to the shop to see your bike, you have no idea it's even the spec you ordered , the right colour.......or damaged....or....(take your pick). I'm sure 99 times out of 100 it works out swimmingly.

But who wants to be the 1% ?

And an EFT does not take 4 days.
    Do you think if I pay for a bike and it is not the specification I ordered, or it is damaged that I would accept it?
    That would be beyond idiotic.
    Do you have evidence that 1% of people accept damaged goods, or goods other than agreed in the contract?
    You sign for the bike before it is given to you. If it is a different bike or is damaged I will not sign for it.

Electronic Funds Transfer
    "Payments and transfers that you make after 6.30pm Monday to Friday, at weekends and on Bank Holidays normally leave your account immediately, but the date on your screen will show as the next banking day."
    If I made a transfer on Friday afternoon before a bank holiday weekend (as we had recently), say Friday 31st May, then the payment would arrive in the payee's bank on the first day after the bank holiday, which was 4th June, or four days.
    If I make a payment on a Friday afternoon it will arrive in the payee's bank account on the next banking day (three days later).
    If I make a payment before 12:00 on a weekday it will arrive in the payee bank the same day.
    If you work in a bank, and I am incorrect, please let me know.

My general point is I have the funds, there is no reason for me to hold the funds in my bank account as I am not getting any benefit.
    It is more convenient for me for my payment to have cleared before the bike arrives, instead of making the payment when the bike is waiting in the showrooms for collection, and then waiting for the dealer to trace the payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You don't pay in full unless the product is what was ordered.

This is basic stuff man.

You might take issue with being told basic stuff but you should probably take heed

Advertisement