Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Duffy Motors taking the piss and acting unprofessionally

Options
  • 08-05-2019 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I thought I might share my recent experience with Joe Duffy in relation to a bike I traded in with them three and a half years ago.

I wonder if anyone else on this forum has had a similar experience?

In October 2015 I traded in a 1200 GSA in part exchange for another GSA and signed all of the usual papers. A friend subsequently told me the the had seen my original bike on a Cork based traders website.

A few months after the trade in I got a notice of illegal parking from Cork City Council in relation to the same bike. I contacted the salesman in who had dealt with me in Joe Duffy and he undertook to look after the matter. I don't know what he did but I never heard anything else about the matter and assumed that that was the end of that - a slight hiccup in the paperwork that had been resolved.

Imagine my surprise therefore when in early March of this year I received another penalty notice from Cork City Council in respect of the traded in bike - this time for displaying an out of date tax disc.

I explained to Cork that I had not owned the bike since I passed ownership on to Joe Duffy in October 2015 - all to no avail as it appears that I am still the registered owner of the bike. I appealed and included proof of the trade in but my appeal was refused again on the grounds that I am still the registered owner of the machine.

Now I like to think of myself as a patient man and I therefore paid a visit to Finglas and explained the situation. I explained, as politely as I could under the circumstances, that I was fairly pissed off about the fact that this had happened and that Joe Duffy should now resolve the matter. After much toing and froing and listening to excuses such as "it is not our responsibility" I finally got their agreement that if I paid the €60 fine Joe Duffy would reimburse me and write to Cork City Council explaining the situation.

I paid the fine on the 14th March, advised Joe Duffy of the payment. Despite my best efforts and well over two months since I first brought this to their attention I am still awaiting payment of my money. In the meantime I still do not know if the registration issue has been resolved.

I have been met with broken promises, failure to deliver, constant excuses about payment dates and a staggering degree of unprofessionalism from this company. I have been told by them how professional they are but at this stage I can only consider those claims to be a bad joke.

I have run out of patience and am now considering my next steps. Should I contact BMW Motorrad? Should I go legal (for 60 quid)? or can anybody suggest an alternative?

Has anyone else here been treated this badly by this shower?

So far I feel I have been treated with contempt and would consider warning people off doing business with people who are very willing to take your money but no so willing to deal with their own incompetence.

Interested to hear what others have to say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Report it stolen

:O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Imagine my surprise therefore.

A tad over dramatic perhaps?
    I paid the fine on the 14th March, advised Joe Duffy of the payment. Despite my best efforts and well over two months since I first brought this to their attention I am still awaiting payment of my money. In the meantime I still do not know if the registration issue has been resolved.

You absolute dope! The fine was not your responsibility and so you gave your money away. Why should a business reimburse your stupidity?

I was once in a very similar situation and had to write to the CC advising them of where and when I sold the vehicle. That was the end of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 hugedinosaur

I finally got their agreement that if I paid the €60 fine Joe Duffy would reimburse me and write to Cork City Council explaining the situation.

I wouldn't have been happy with that agreement. If they were genuine, why wouldn't they pay Cork City Council themselves, and write to them to explain it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 twinges in the hinges

You absolute dope! The fine was not your responsibility and so you gave your money away. Why should a business reimburse your stupidity?

I was once in a very similar situation and had to write to the CC advising them of where and when I sold the vehicle. That was the end of it.

Hmmm.... nice response. Was there really any need for the insults???? Could you have made your point without them???

Actually I was surprised - why would I not be?

If you read my original post you will see that I appealed to the CC and submitted proof of the trade in. it might have worked for you but it did not for me.

What a strange writing style you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Did you have a road the bike was parked on on the fine notice?

I'd be on that street putting that bike into a van. It's still in your name. You wouldn't be long finding the new owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Get a new logbook and register it in the name of the MD of the dealership?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Could you hide the fact that you're an absolute twat any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭jmreire

As you were the registered owner,when you traded in the bike, you had the registration document, yes? AFAIK, you should have gotten the sales man to fill it in, sign it and then you post it off yourself. Any vehicles I sold /traded in, that's what I did anyway. At least you are sure then that the change is registered, and you are no longer responsible for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's what you do on a private sale. Not for a dealer.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

I am sure if JDM have any sense of professionalism they will refund straight away. Currently driving my 10th BMW all bought from JDM or a competitor and I wouldn't darken their doorstep anymore. It's all about the money and nothing about customer care anymore with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....write to Dept of Transport, Shannon, and give them date of change of ownership details and it'll pop up on the database there quick enough. You don't need the log book or anything to do that. I assume you have a receipt of some kind with the trade-in date on it: that's the record that ownership passed on that date.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

That's what you do on a private sale. Not for a dealer.

RF105 should be filled out for a trade in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Hmmm.... nice response. Was there really any need for the insults???? Could you have made your point without them???

Actually I was surprised - why would I not be?

If you read my original post you will see that I appealed to the CC and submitted proof of the trade in. it might have worked for you but it did not for me.

What a strange writing style you have.

He is right though in that you should not have paid the fine.
    If it went to court you have all the proof you need, there is no way a judge would find you guilty.

That was a very silly thing to do, you paid a fine for someone else.
    What were you thinking?

If this is still an issue, ring the Garda.

Something stinks in terms of whats happened, I cant really believe Joe Duffy are at fault as I've dealt with them a few times and they've always been ok. and in instances when things were not "Ok" they were quick enough to resolve them/reimburse me.

It's not in JD's interest to have the Garda/Council knocking on their door about not registering bikes/cars correctly.

I wonder is the new owner acting the ball*x

jmreire wrote: »
    As you were the registered owner,when you traded in the bike, you had the registration document, yes? AFAIK, you should have gotten the sales man to fill it in, sign it and then you post it off yourself. Any vehicles I sold /traded in, that's what I did anyway. At least you are sure then that the change is registered, and you are no longer responsible for it.

You know in retrospect I think you are correct. At the time I was given an undertaking, having filled in all of the necessary forms, that the matter would be dealt with by JD.

This was the first time I had ever traded in a vehicle and perhaps i was a little naive. It does occur to me however that having been given that undertaking i had a reasonable and legitimate expectation that the undertaking would be adhered to.

Having said that - I fully take your point.

cram1971 wrote: »
    I am sure if JDM have any sense of professionalism they will refund straight away. Currently driving my 10th BMW all bought from JDM or a competitor and I wouldn't darken their doorstep anymore. It's all about the money and nothing about customer care anymore with them.

I think that is exactly the problem. You would think for 60 quid they would simply fix it but they have not displayed any professionalism to date - broken promises to return calls, excuses, pushing the blame elsewhere, different stories from different people..........

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SVI40

I had similar many years ago, with a car I purchased from them. It took months to get the vehicle licencing form from them. Tax expired in the meantime, so was driving with not tax. Ignored phone calls, letters etc. Eventually reported them to the SIMI, and got it resolved.

Have not gone back to them since.

grahambo wrote: »
    If it went to court you have all the proof you need, there is no way a judge would find you guilty.

What were you thinking?

Something stinks in terms of whats happened, I cant really believe Joe Duffy are at fault as I've dealt with them a few times and they've always been ok. and in instances when things were not "Ok" they were quick enough to resolve them/reimburse me.

It's not in JD's interest to have the Garda/Council knocking on their door about not registering bikes/cars correctly.

You ask what I was thinking.

What I was thinking was that JDM was a reputable company that would resolve the matter as they had promised. I did not want the matter to escalate and assumed that this was the easiest way to resolve things. I would pay the fine - get Cork off my back and in the meantime JDM would resolve the situation.

If I am guilty of anything I am guilty of assuming that people are as good as their word.

Clearly in the case of Joe Duffy I was badly mistaken.

Your experience of Joe Duffy might have been good but mine has not. As far as I am concerned they have acted in a disreputable manner and have displayed a total lack of good faith unprofessionalism.

I did not want the matter to escalate and assumed that this was the easiest way to resolve things. I would pay the fine - get Cork off my back and in the meantime JDM would resolve the situation.

You should have just told them to f**k off man!

Let them send you a summons, you just send the letter back saying you can only appear in your local court.
    Then let the Judge rip them apart for being absolutely tick!!!!!!
    If I am guilty of anything I am guilty of assuming that people are as good as their word.

Unless you have it in writing, a persons word means nothing.
    And even if you have it in writing, it's barely worth the paper it's written on.

You should have never paid that fine.

And even then, it still might not even be Joe Duffy's fault if the new owner is taking the piss.

Like did they admit that they didn't un-register you as the previous owner and also admit they didn't register the new owner?
    I'm sorry but I find this incredibly difficult to believe.

You should have just told them to f**k off man!

Let them send you a summons, you just send the letter back saying you can only appear in your local court.
    Then let the Judge rip them apart for being absolutely tick!!!!!!

Unless you have it in writing, a persons word means nothing.
    And even if you have it in writing, it's barely worth the paper it's written on.

You should have never paid that fine.

And even then, it still might not even be Joe Duffy's fault if the new owner is taking the piss.

Like did they admit that they didn't un-register you as the previous owner and also admit they didn't register the new owner?
    I'm sorry but I find this incredibly difficult to believe.

Could have, should have, didn't - hindsight is a wonderful thing but not of much value to me in finding a solution. So thanks for the telling off but its no help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The only way to get the outcome you want is to badger Duffys and contact the dept of transport to get your details removed from the reg. Ranting on here wont solve your issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I'd certainly complain to the ombudsman for consumers on this, as that is is very poor treatment.
    But yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    I had a not terribly dissimilar experience with a Ducati one time about ten years ago, and an authorised dealer who shall remain nameless

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What were you thinking?

My read here is that they sold the bike on , either via auction or to a trader they are affiliated with. Handed over the Logbook and that was that.

That is why they are washing their hands of it.

Personally wouldn't go near them based of numerous stories of bad customer service.

OK it looks like I have a resolution.

Following a pretty robust discussion with a senior manager in JDM this morning, a representative called to my door with €60 cash which I happily accepted.

The senior manager accepted that JDM had "dropped the ball" very badly in this case.

I have also insisted on, and been promised, a letter of apology which I am hoping will arrive shortly.

It is unfortunate that it ever had to come to this but there you have it.

I am now happy to draw a line under the whole sorry affair and chalk it up to experience.

Many thanks for the useful comments made. I have learned some lessons and will never be caught like this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Many thanks for the useful comments made. I have learned some lessons and will never be caught like this again.

I learned lessons several times dealing with them. After purchasing 4 bikes they royally f*cked up the last one. I'll never set foot in the place again.

BMW themselves are well aware of them and so much so they shipped my bike to BMW NI along with me when there was some warranty work needed.

Following a pretty robust discussion with a senior manager in JDM this morning, a representative called to my door with €60 cash which I happily accepted.

The senior manager accepted that JDM had "dropped the ball" very badly in this case.

I have also insisted on, and been promised, a letter of apology which I am hoping will arrive shortly.

It is unfortunate that it ever had to come to this but there you have it.

I am now happy to draw a line under the whole sorry affair and chalk it up to experience.

If they admitted that, it was their mistake, that is shocking.

Like really poor on their part.

I'm glad you got it sorted though!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Is the bike still registered in your name? Or have they also somehow sorted that out today as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

So now we know JDM are keeping an eye on boards ;)

miamee wrote: »
    Is the bike still registered in your name? Or have they also somehow sorted that out today as well?

I have managed to check with the vehicle registration people and I understand that it is not. I will however keep an eye on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Glad yo hear you got it sorted, but that is very poor and highly unprofessional of such an organisation.

Takes an awfully long time to build trust again after such an experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭prunudo

Have you been getting tax renewal letters since you traded it in. Surely that would raise questions about whether the bike had registered in a new name or not.
    Glad its sorted and hopefully its the last you'll hear about it.

Advertisement