Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭kksaints

Gael85 wrote: »
    MLR getting nothing from referee.Any time Joe Canning falls he gets a free.

Ref was very poor. Gave Portumna everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭eire 2012

Barry Kelly loves joe canning and always looks after him. Kelly worst referee by a country mile has his own rules and loves to be the main talking point. Has to be removed from reffing panel before he ruins anymore matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭Grats

eire 2012 wrote: »
    Barry Kelly loves joe canning and always looks after him. Kelly worst referee by a country mile has his own rules and loves to be the main talking point. Has to be removed from reffing panel before he ruins anymore matches.

Yes I'm from Kilkenny and of course supported MLR today. Amusing to see Kelly today with a genuine opportunity to issue second yellow cards to at least two Portumna players and chose not to. I would have thought he might have favoured the underdog but clearly not today. He lost the run of himself in recent years and hasn't improved judging by this latest display from him. Most certainly MLR can feel aggrieved. Portumna fouled persistently in order to stop MLR running at them. It worked, simply because Kelly copped out.

Well done MLR, ye done yourselves and Carlow proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I'm also from Kilkenny but living in Carlow and even though Rangers lost they did brilliantly to get to the final. They did their county and respective villages proud so well done to them. Just think of how many teams they had to beat to get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

eire 2012 wrote: »

I even saw Kelly at one stage during the match having a chat and giggle with JC ,
    Not what you would expect from a referee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Went down to Croke Park for the match. Great to see such a good turn out from Carlow.

Thought it was grand to see a Carlow team play at such a high level.

Also didn't understand the Ref giving the yellow card, not giving a card to the Portumna player who drew blood on the back of the head of the MLR player or his large amount of decisions which seemed to be way more in favour of Portumna.

Ah sure. Hopefully it'll have been good experience for them and that there'll be another occasion to celebrate in the future because of it.

Hard luck to MLR. Your right the ref was piss poor. Coady didnt do an awful lot to get a red i think. There wasnt a dirty stroke in that whole game. One or two late ones but nothing malicious.
    I thought though that the forwards for MLR lacked the fluid interchange of their Portumna counterparts although they battled valiantly. Make no mistake, this is only the beginning and not the end. I thought Rangers broke a fantastic amount of ball in the backs but got turned over a little too much at the other end.

MLR will be thereabouts for the next few years i feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

TaosHum wrote: »
    Might end being a bit of a ghost thread, but said it would be worth creating considering we are less than 2 weeks away from St. Patrick's Day and MLR in the All-Ireland Hurling Club Championship final.

This weekend will also see a double header in Dr. Cullen Park with the footballers taking on Antrim at 12.45 and the hurlers going up against Derry at 2.30.

Meanwhile, the county under 21 footballers are in action tonight vs Dublin at 7.30 in Carlow IT.

Did all Carlow teams you mentioned lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

KKkitty wrote: »
    I'm also from Kilkenny but living in Carlow and even though Rangers lost they did brilliantly to get to the final. They did their county and respective villages proud so well done to them. Just think of how many teams they had to beat to get that far.

Can anyone list the teams they beat in the Carlow, leinster and All-Ire championships, on the way to the final?

It's atually incredible when you think about the run needed to get to croke park.

Also delighted to see half of carlow up in croker! Out numbered potumna about 10 to 1 I'd say.

Whats the format of the Carlow club SHC by the way? Is it double round robin with top two playing in the final?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Well, the adventure has ended, but what an adventure it was. Was fantastic to be up in Croke Park yesterday cheering on a Carlow side in a Senior final. It doesn't happen often, which was the main reason why people from all over the county decided to go up and support MLR.

On the match itself, Portumna just had that bit of class which was the difference between the sides. Both Cannings and Damien Hayes were able to capitalise on the opportunities given to them. Frank Foley, who was solid in goal, made two errors in possession and got punished for both. The fullback's were solid and gave up little to a dangerous Portumna full forward line. The MLR half backs were excellent I though and cleaned up alot of ball during the game.

The problem for MLR however were the forwards who struggled to gain possession and Portumna's backs simply dominated the Rangers forwards. MLR just lacked that bit of quality in that area and even Denis Murphy struggled. Paul Coady was probably the best of the forwards.

On the ref, I thought he was poor and quite harsh on MLR at times, but even with better officiating, Portumna still come out on top.

But what an achievement for MLR and Carlow hurling to have a team in the Club Senior final. So many positives to now build on and hopefully that young Rangers side have learned from their adventure and can build on it. But one things for certain, the other Carlow senior hurling sides will be licking their lips the get a craic at the Leinster champions. Really looking forward to the county hurling championship.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Can anyone list the teams they beat in the Carlow, leinster and All-Ire championships, on the way to the final?

In the Leinster Champioship:

Castletown Geoghegan (Westmeath)
    Ballyboden St. Enda's (Dublin)
    Oulart the Ballagh (Wexford)

All-Ireland Semi Final:

Loughgiel Shamrocks (Antrim)
    Whats the format of the Carlow club SHC by the way? Is it double round robin with top two playing in the final?

6 team championship with games played on a round-robin basis. After round-robin games, top 4 teams go into semi finals, while bottom two should play in a relegation final, however only Carlow Town can go up from intermediate but they opted to stay Intermediate again this year, even though they won it last year.

Teams in the Senior Championship are:

Naomh Brid (Ballinabranna, Old Leighlin, Leighlinbridge)
    Naomh Eoin (Myshall)
    Erin's Own (Bagenalstown)
    Mount Leinster Rangers (Borris)
    St. Mullins
    Ballinkillen (Fenagh, Kildavin)

In the Leinster Champioship:

Castletown Geoghegan (Westmeath)
    Ballyboden St. Enda's (Dublin)
    Oulart the Ballagh (Wexford)

All-Ireland Semi Final:

Loughgiel Shamrocks (Antrim)

6 team championship with games played on a round-robin basis. After round-robin games, top 4 teams go into semi finals, while bottom two should play in a relegation final, however only Carlow Town can go up from intermediate but they opted to stay Intermediate again this year, even though they won it last year.

Teams in the Senior Championship are:

Naomh Brid (Ballinabranna, Old Leighlin, Leighlinbridge)
    Naomh Eoin (Myshall)
    Erin's Own (Bagenalstown)
    Mount Leinster Rangers (Borris)
    St. Mullins
    Ballinkillen (Fenagh, Kildavin)

What about Setanta are they just an 'Óg' (youth) hurling club?

How many hurl at other levels then? I notice there is a few with 'GFC' in the club title such as Tinryland and the Blues that probably dont hurl at all?

What about Setanta are they just an 'Óg' (youth) hurling club?

How many hurl at other levels then? I notice there is a few with 'GFC' in the club title such as Tinryland and the Blues that probably dont hurl at all?

Your correct about Setanta, currently only have juvenile sides. Other Huling sides in the county are

St Patricks (Tullow)
    Palatine
    Carlow Town

I think other clubs may have juvenile clubs but that's it for adult teams.

Your correct about Setanta, currently only have juvenile sides. Other Huling sides in the county are

St Patricks (Tullow)
    Palatine
    Carlow Town

I think other clubs may have juvenile clubs but that's it for adult teams.

Good to see those clubs are starting somewhere anyway. Strength in numbers would be a huge plus and In terms of schools would Carlow not consider maybe entering a combined team in the Leinster Colleges A cup?

It has certainly benefited both Waterford and Dublin in terms of Harty/Leinster/Croke cups.
    I know Carlow have a few B level schools but this is probably the key area to development as they would get more competitive games.

Location wise is a big advantage for Carlow as they are in the heart of the South East and within distance all of the hurling counties but as highlighted earlier they are severely handicapped with revenue and that's where HQ need to help out.

It isn't going to be easy if you have more buffoons like your man on the Cork board that have power and a vote (Regarding the ludicrous 'Pavarotti/Jedward' analogy he gave) but hopefully MLR will have challenged the few snobs to open their mind and hearts a bit and help the smaller more under resourced counties out.

At the same time though perhaps gates might pick up now the MLR boys will return to the county setup? They've generated a bit of a feel good factor within the county. That said its only right that the few people should get out and support the lads as it stands who are doing really well in 2A despite being weakened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well someone got onto the pitch and gave the ref an earful about the red card anyway:

Probe as fan abuses ref on pitch
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/probe-as-fan-abuses-ref-on-pitch-30100511.html
    a supporter of Carlow club Mount Leinster Rangers got on to the pitch at the end of the AIB All-Ireland club hurling final and verbally abused Mr Kelly at close quarters before stewards intervened.

Some Mount Leinster supporters were aggrieved at the sending off of Carlow wing-back Edward Coady in the dying minutes.

Few among the crowd understood why Coady was red-carded but Mount Rangers' manager Tom Mullally did not take issue with the referee.

Still don't know why the red card was given though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

What sort of eejit gets that worked up about a meaningless red card at the end of a game that was already over as a contest?

Good to see those clubs are starting somewhere anyway. Strength in numbers would be a huge plus and In terms of schools would Carlow not consider maybe entering a combined team in the Leinster Colleges A cup?

It has certainly benefited both Waterford and Dublin in terms of Harty/Leinster/Croke cups.
    I know Carlow have a few B level schools but this is probably the key area to development as they would get more competitive games.

I know at Senior and Junior levels, Borris VS compete in the Leinster A Championship and have even took some notable scalps, including Good Counsel. At juvenile level there is a Carlow School's side that compete in the A Championship. Borris VS probably feel they are strong enough without teaming up with other Carlow school's, considering they get students from a large part of South Carlow and even bordering Kilkenny and Wexford villages.

The highest level any other Carlow school competes in is the South Leinster C, so maybe the Carlow Town schools should play on the one side. But I agree that young players competing at the highest level in schools hurling would aid the development of the game further in the county.

One thing I have noticed from keeping an eye on Carlow IT's Fitzgibbon Cup games is the lack of Carlow players on the side. I know Carlow IT pulls in alot of talent from Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford and even Offaly, but the absence of Carlow players in a Carlow school is disappointing.

Whether it's because they are not good enough or they are not committing I don't know, but playing at Fitzgibbon Cup level would develop players further, as it's not every day you get the chance to line up against the best young talent in Ireland.

Location wise is a big advantage for Carlow as they are in the heart of the South East and within distance all of the hurling counties but as highlighted earlier they are severely handicapped with revenue and that's where HQ need to help out.

Kilkenny to their credit, have been a huge help to the development of Carlow hurling. Carlow clubs in the past have been allowed enter Kilkenny leagues, which not only means they are playing against better quality, but offers something different than playing against the same 5 opposition every time.

Also, some clubs have allowed Carlow teams to use their facilities. The Carlow Senior hurlers actually train once a week in Blacks and Whites hurling club, so they can avail of their hurling wall.

Carlow is also blessed to have state of the art facilities in Carlow IT and the newly developed center of excellence in Fenagh. I actually think the facilities in the IT are criminally under-used by the county board.
    It isn't going to be easy if you have more buffoons like your man on the Cork board that have power and a vote (Regarding the ludicrous 'Pavarotti/Jedward' analogy he gave) but hopefully MLR will have challenged the few snobs to open their mind and hearts a bit and help the smaller more under resourced counties out.

At the same time though perhaps gates might pick up now the MLR boys will return to the county setup? They've generated a bit of a feel good factor within the county. That said its only right that the few people should get out and support the lads as it stands who are doing really well in 2A despite being weakened.

I've always found it funny when you see certain sports talk about developing their game in weaker areas and then try to stifle their development once they start to become a danger to the accepted hierarchy. I'd liken it to the Irish cricketers being told they could no longer compete at the world cup, even though real development was/is happening.

But it's good to see people taking an interest in Carlow hurling. It's good to see the likes of yourself taking an interest to what is going on here and having good will to the county. It's that type of attitude that will only help Carlow and indeed other weaker counties when it comes to trying to gain the respect of the stronger counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Good day today for Carlow Hurling, the seniors still without any of the Mount Leinster players had a very impressive win against Westmeath, 2-21 to 0-13. Really great display especially early in the 2nd half where we lifted our game to a level Westmeath couldn't cope with.

Not long back from Fenagh where our minors have qualified for the Leinster minor hurling league final, after a thrilling win v Offaly. We got a last min goal to win it! Ended Carlow 1-16 Offaly 2-10. Playing Antrim in the final next week I think.

Congrats on both fronts. I really hope ye can gain promotion and if not i hope if Kerry make that playoff instead that they do because its utterly disgraceful the way the gaa have moved the goalposts on promotion from 2A.

Antrim should be relegated having no points by right and the winner of Carlow v Kerry should be promoted straight. Really is the most ludicrous unsporting decision i have heard and those counties who voted for this format should hang their head in shame.

• Advertisement

Stevecw wrote: »
    Good day today for Carlow Hurling, the seniors still without any of the Mount Leinster players had a very impressive win against Westmeath, 2-21 to 0-13. Really great display especially early in the 2nd half where we lifted our game to a level Westmeath couldn't cope with.

Not long back from Fenagh where our minors have qualified for the Leinster minor hurling league final, after a thrilling win v Offaly. We got a last min goal to win it! Ended Carlow 1-16 Offaly 2-10. Playing Antrim in the final next week I think.

Great achievement that for the minors.

Credit must also go to the footballers grasping a draw in London yesterday. They flew out from Dublin at 5.15am and played the game at 2. I was expecting the worst, but fair play to them.

Great achievement that for the minors.

Credit must also go to the footballers grasping a draw in London yesterday. They flew out from Dublin at 5.15am and played the game at 2. I was expecting the worst, but fair play to them.

Surely that game could have taken place today which would give the Carlow lads working on Friday a chance to at least get rest before flying out Saturday. I suppose though as there is nothing at stake but pride for either it didn't matter.

Mixed weekend for Carlow. Minor hurlers put in a great 2nd half display to beat Antrim in the Leinster league final on Saturday. Sets us up nicely for the championship v Offaly in 2 weeks.

Yet another bad defeat for the footballers, conceding crazy high scores in almost all games. 3-21 this time away to Clare in a 14 point loss. Sad times for Carlow football, getting destroyed by teams like Clare, Wicklow, Tipp, Leitrim etc. A few more players left the panel last week too I see after the disgraceful way they were treated regarding the London game.
    At this rate if Kilkenny were still in the league, they'd fancy their chances of beating us. The scores we are conceding are very much like what Kilkenny were getting thumped by in most games.

Mixed weekend for Carlow. Minor hurlers put in a great 2nd half display to beat Antrim in the Leinster league final on Saturday. Sets us up nicely for the championship v Offaly in 2 weeks.

Yet another bad defeat for the footballers, conceding crazy high scores in almost all games. 3-21 this time away to Clare in a 14 point loss. Sad times for Carlow football, getting destroyed by teams like Clare, Wicklow, Tipp, Leitrim etc. A few more players left the panel last week too I see after the disgraceful way they were treated regarding the London game.
    At this rate if Kilkenny were still in the league, they'd fancy their chances of beating us. The scores we are conceding are very much like what Kilkenny were getting thumped by in most games.

Id imagine the main motivation for the county board to arrange a flight that time of morning was to save money?

While i understand the county board admitted recently that their revenue stream was third world by comparison to the bigger counties, surely they need to look after player welfare better then to expect them to board at flight the early hours of the morning for a game at 2pm that same day.

Fine achievement for the Minor Hurlers. Hopefully they can carry on there good form against Offaly.

What's going on with the county footballers is shocking. Off the top of my head, I can think of 7/8 players who have left the senior panel since the league began and that's not including players who are injured/work commitments.

Anthony Rainbow takes some of the blame as players are unhappy with the length of training sessions (up to 2 hours long a night), his persistence to play a defensive/sweeper system that simply isn't working and there are rumours of falling out with players. When you concede a whopping 144 scores in 6 games, I think its time to change the tactics. If he was using Carlow as a stepping stone to something greater, then he can forget about that at this point. Hope this is his last campaign in Carlow

The county board's treatment of the players however has been dreadful. No way the hurlers would be asked to fly out, play and fly back on the same day. Players then have to drive home at mad hours after along day, which could have led to an accident. Players were also unhappy with the county secretaries comments about players thinking they are too good to play for Carlow and warning there may be no football teams in the future.

Carlow footballers are taking hammerings at every level at this point and nothing is being done to help develop and keep young footballers in the game. Playing numbers at minor have become so poor that there is talk of making the code 11 a side on the same size field. It's that type of thinking that has Carlow football where it is.

Big weekend for the hurlers, the 2A final in Thurles should be a ticket to promotion. Instead it's just a chance to play an Offaly who had an extra week off to see who deserves 1B next year, next week.

For now, we have to deal with Kerry who beat us during the league. Will be a tough game, but hopefully having the MLR guys back will help.

6 are starting on Sunday, so will mean we have if needed a quality bench too. John Meyler is 100% correct to bring the MLR guys back in as soon as possible. We only work off 6 clubs so need to use our best clubs players obviously.

Think we will have far too much for Kerry this time. But it's facing Offaly a week later that's the problem.

Footballers or what's left of them head down to play Waterford on Sunday, a nothing game, one which I reckon we will concede a lot in and probably lose. Rainbow will stay on regardless.

Hard luck today guys. Better luck next year. By then i hope the powers that be remove that ridiculous ceiling on promotion to 1B. Its totally unfair.

For now i would hope that Kerry go and upset the old order next week against Offaly. By right i feel Kerry shouldn't have to play them in the first place and arguably Offaly should not be in that position either given they finished 3 points ahead of Antrim after round 5 but it would really ram it down the necks of the powers that be if Kerry could dump Offaly into 2A although knowing the same powers they will probably find a way of moving the goalposts yet again.

The GAA was founded as a common interest for irish people who faced oppression and hardship during British rule and yet here they are themselves in the year 2014 oppressing certain counties from progress based on favoritism and bureaucracy.

Well that was very unexpected. Kerry deserved the win for sure and probably by a few more points too as they were by far the better side today. No idea what went wrong with Carlow today, got the early goals seemed to think job was done. Never saw as many of our best players have a collective off day before.
    Hardly anyone played well, and we only made 2 changes. Definitely needed to use 5 subs when so many were off form.

Huge set back to Carlow hurling, another year stuck in 2A. A serious body blow ahead of the Leinster qualifiers too.

The footballers as expected lost again. Rainbow has led us to the very bottom of Div 4, so we are now the worst team in the country.

Well that was very unexpected. Kerry deserved the win for sure and probably by a few more points too as they were by far the better side today. No idea what went wrong with Carlow today, got the early goals seemed to think job was done. Never saw as many of our best players have a collective off day before.
    Hardly anyone played well, and we only made 2 changes. Definitely needed to use 5 subs when so many were off form.

Huge set back to Carlow hurling, another year stuck in 2A. A serious body blow ahead of the Leinster qualifiers too.

The footballers as expected lost again. Rainbow has led us to the very bottom of Div 4, so we are now the worst team in the country

FWIW you are far better then what your producing under Rainbow. It would seem morale is low and the confidence may have been sapped out of ye after the Tipp beating in early February along with the carry on of the County board

The hurling id imagine is a big disappointment. Tbh i thought with the Mt Leinster players back you would beat Kerry but it just wasn't too be.

There is no reason why ye cant cause an upset in the championship if ye meet a Wexford or Offaly but i do agree that long term ye need another stint in 1b. Carlow are definitely as good as Laois and look how far they have come the last year. Id imagine if ye meet Offaly next year in 2A then it will be a difficult job trying to come out of the division but Carlow have to believe and start planning for that now. If its kerry then i dont think there is a whole lot between the teams. Kerry seemed to have put a good management team in place the last year. i think even Brendan Cummins is involved in someway along with Brian Horgan who won a minor all ireland as selector with Tipp in 2012

Hopefully the emergence of Mount Leinster Rangers will have left a legacy for the future and that the county will be able to access more talent in the coming years.

• Advertisement

Whatever Kerry have been doing, it's certainly working. If the likes of Cummins is involved then that's great to see.
    They have improved hugely in the last year, and are a very good side now. They bet us in the league but we were thinking that's just because we are already in final.

With the MLR guys back now, we'll walk this one really seemed to be the feeling in Carlow. I'm sure the players weren't thinking that way but I know a lot of people were.
    I know a few people who would normally go to most games stayed at home today cos Leinster were on, and would wait till the "real final" v Offaly next week.

If nothing else it might be a wake up call before the championship, we will not be taking London or Westmeath for granted now.

As for the footballers, you are dead right Tipp Gunner, there is no way we should be the worst team around. Rainbow has dragged us down to the very bottom in his time here. Many of the best players in the county either didn't come back again or walked away early once they saw the mess that his set up is.

It's crazy that he is still left in charge at this stage. Meath in June, we will be lucky to be able to field 15 by then.

Advertisement