Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

How in the name of god could you not know he is a Mod when it clearly says Mod: Radio directly below their name. :confused:

On Boards for 5 years as well lol. :pac:

No it doesn't smarthole.

VSUf0RC.png

Edit - lol ":pac:"

_

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Well Gilroy is nearly full time on the OTB AM, so I guess that this puts more weeknight work on Joe. The OTB AM was a great idea, though I wonder how nobody ever thought of having a morning youtube sports channel before. You do wonder though where it leaves them financially - they are basically giving away their show with little sponsorship, so I'm not sure how they monetize it.

I have started listening more & more to OTBAM when I get the notification at 7.45am that it is starting - especially been good after the mid week games in the evening and newspaper review. Some breaking sports news over night & the OTB guys are on it (except the MUFC singing job :rolleyes:) Also, they sometimes have Kenny on, the other week he was on both shows & in between, he was out around Dublin with "the young lad" - always interesting to hear Kenny's contribution.
    Would be interesting to see the stats on listenership figures and I now have subscribed to the podcast as don't always listen to it when I get into the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

robo wrote: »
    I have started listening more & more to OTBAM when I get the notification at 7.45am that it is starting - especially been good after the mid week games in the evening and newspaper review. Some breaking sports news over night & the OTB guys are on it (except the MUFC singing job :rolleyes:) Also, they sometimes have Kenny on, the other week he was on both shows & in between, he was out around Dublin with "the young lad" - always interesting to hear Kenny's contribution.
    Would be interesting to see the stats on listenership figures and I now have subscribed to the podcast as don't always listen to it when I get into the office.

I like OTBAM. Started podcasting it and listening to it later in the day. However, I used to never really get why some particular presenters wound up posters on here. But the more I listen to OTBAM the more I cant stand Ger. They’ve good guests on, as you said Kenny, but Joe and Nathan are far more easier to listen to for me.

Yeh Ger can be a bot skittish to some items - where as Joe can be a bit too mollycoddling so the others can help balance it out.

Its definitely a show (both OTBAM and OTB) that you need at 2-3 different types of people on discussing the ins & outs of sport to get a better range of perspective.

Caught a small bit of the Sunday newspaper review & it just dawned on me that Kimmage hasn't been o in a while - wonder was there a falling out as a few times himself & Joe didn't agree on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I listened to a bit there before the FA cup final (to see what kind of build up there was - before I got near the telly) it was Nathan Murphy on interviewing Ray 'who put the ball in the English net'.
    Talking about he and teams dealt with the final in 89 between Liverpool v Everton in light of the Hillsborough tragedy.
    It was grand, not a Molloy or Gilroy to be heard.

I was just wondering is this a normal course of events no Gilroy and Molloy on the weekends - or was it just a one off?

Yeah I was listening to that piece and thought it was a very good piece. I usually enjoy the 9 to 10 football slot on Monday, Joe Molloy usually does a good job with that.

Unfortunately after that they then went and spent about 20 minutes talking about the women's champions league final. You could tell that Kilbame especially was thinking "What the hell are we doing". I wonder how many people had any interest whatsoever in that competition. Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

BPKS wrote: »
    Yeah I was listening to that piece and thought it was a very good piece. I usually enjoy the 9 to 10 football slot on Monday, Joe Molloy usually does a good job with that.

Unfortunately after that they then went and spent about 20 minutes talking about the women's champions league final. You could tell that Kilbame especially was thinking "What the hell are we doing". I wonder how many people had any interest whatsoever in that competition. Seriously.

That's more of the social justice angle. Raving about women's football for so long, comparing achievements of women's and men's football is lunacy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

robo wrote: »
    Yeh Ger can be a bot skittish to some items - where as Joe can be a bit too mollycoddling so the others can help balance it out.

Its definitely a show (both OTBAM and OTB) that you need at 2-3 different types of people on discussing the ins & outs of sport to get a better range of perspective.

Caught a small bit of the Sunday newspaper review & it just dawned on me that Kimmage hasn't been o in a while - wonder was there a falling out as a few times himself & Joe didn't agree on things.

Re kimmage wouldn’t be at all surprised. A man who would cross the road to take offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Re kimmage wouldn’t be at all surprised. A man who would cross the road to take offence.

Yeah haven't heard him in a while. But let's be honest, it was probably only a matter of time before Kimmage said something that Gilroy didn't like I remember when they posted the Lance Armstrong interview Kimmage tweeted "Lance being Lance, Ger being Ger" or something similar. Never much love lost between them I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Still writing doping articles too. Still doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

'Someone' tweeted this to OTB and got this reply.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1130093054185103360

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

'Someone' tweeted this to OTB and got this reply.

Pretty appropriate response (widely used quote said to have been made famous by Marlyn Monroe).

If you're going to check a rota and remember it or re-check it rather than just flicking the station on for a second, your putting way too much work in to it.

Next few years are going to be difficult for you.

Women's football is growing and I'd imagine any female with interest in sport would have enjoyed the piece.
    Given there was a hattrick scored in the game, I'd imagine many if both genders would have been interested also.

Missed this piece but if the likes of OTB don't talk about women's football, boxing, athletics...tiddlywinks then how will we get to hear much about it. I listen to OTB to not always hear the well-known sports/teams/players but to hear all different aspects of sport because its amazing to hear more from what drives different sports participants and not always about those that are the top of the game.
    Why should it take such a big stage for us to hear about female athletes like last summer when Ireland did so well at the Hockey finals.

So my point is (eventually) is you may not initially have an interest in something but when you start to hear the different stories about the people involved, then it spurs an interest in you.

Is that you modding or did you bold it to make it look like that? If it's an actually moderator order (I'm not clear if you are one) then you should make it clearer.
    It's a request, from a mod (me) to stick to discussing the content of the show.

It's obviously fine to mention something that you think should have been raised, but not so much that it derails the thread altogether.

Anyway, the thread is already back on topic, so I'll show myself out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Pretty appropriate response (widely used quote said to have been made famous by Marlyn Monroe).

If you're going to check a rota and remember it or re-check it rather than just flicking the station on for a second, your putting way too much work in to it.

In fairness I was being slightly tongue in cheek, so I probably deserved that reply. But I seriously cannot listen to thier coverage when certain presenters are on. They always end up saying something that annoys me, or conducting the interview in a manner which annoys me.

But I think Nathan Murphy does a grand job, solid stuff.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Nathan usually does Saturday's, Joe Sunday's. I say mostly, probably 60% of the time for each.

They are both different but enjoyable I think. Nathan is more light mannered and at ease with guests than a lot of presenters, on any station, and I think Joe provokes more interesting conversations.

Get pretty much spends all time on AM show and seems to do a number of Friday night shows lately also. (Suspect they are no longer live at this stage).
    most, if not all of the pieces on Friday night are pre-recorded. Can't remember if there's a live newsround too though? Friday Night Racing and Crappy Quiz are anyway.
    not sure if they still have the webcam on the website but can probably check that to be sure.
    Can't blame them really, if they can record content during the day, which no doubt suits guests, and then just have 1 person in the studio queuing it up while the rest enjoy their Friday night, it makes sense for everyone, especially when a number of them travel over to PL matches for commentary over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Are we into no football show territory? Already?

most, if not all of the pieces on Friday night are pre-recorded. Can't remember if there's a live newsround too though? Friday Night Racing and Crappy Quiz are anyway.
    not sure if they still have the webcam on the website but can probably check that to be sure.

Friday is like a bank holiday for OTB. All the stuff is pre record and they put on that stupid comedy show (like RTE do with Colm O'Regan on bank holiday Mondays)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Next few years are going to be difficult for you.

Women's football is growing and I'd imagine any female with interest in sport would have enjoyed the piece.
    Given there was a hattrick scored in the game, I'd imagine many if both genders would have been interested also.

So let me tell you how the next few years wont be difficult for me at all. I go to around 30 womens sports games a year. Have done for the last decade. I also put my hand in my pocket and fund local womens sports teams and have done some admin work for them. I wonder how many womens games the OTB crew go to a year?

On your second point - the main issue with womens sports is that they are not supported by other women. Go to a ladies football national league game for example. You might get 300 people at it and two-thirds of the crowd will be male. Go to a mens football national league game with 10,000 there and something between a quarter and a third will be female - 2,500 to 3,500.

And finally, after listening to that piece did you actually go and seek out and watch the Womens Champions League final? If so could you give me a brief run down of the game, the tactics/formations employed, who played well, were there any controversial decisions? And how did the "household names" (as they were described by the OTB contributor) play?

So let me tell you how the next few years wont be difficult for me at all. I go to around 30 womens sports games a year. Have done for the last decade. I also put my hand in my pocket and fund local womens sports teams and have done some admin work for them. I wonder how many womens games the OTB crew go to a year?

On your second point - the main issue with womens sports is that they are not supported by other women. Go to a ladies football national league game for example. You might get 300 people at it and two-thirds of the crowd will be male. Go to a mens football national league game with 10,000 there and something between a quarter and a third will be female - 2,500 to 3,500.

And finally, after listening to that piece did you actually go and seek out and watch the Womens Champions League final? If so could you give me a brief run down of the game, the tactics/formations employed, who played well, were there any controversial decisions? And how did the "household names" (as they were described by the OTB contributor) play?

I find it impossible to believe that anyone who complains about women's sport coverage as you did attends 30 female sorting events a year and is as altruistic towards them as you suggest, but hey, this is the internet, nobody knows who you are on it.

This idea of women's sport should only be considered in terms of quantities of females missing the point entirely.

I had read articles on WCFL final before the piece aired. But hey, this is the internet so, believe it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1_0ayyx3dg&t=33s

Found this interview by Joe Molloy with John Meyler very good tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Womens sports coverage is tedious to listen to largely because it gets patronized by the media and not treated as simply a sporting event , they have to shoehorn the feminist agenda into as well and therefore it alienates whoever might be interested in the sport because people who are properly interested in sport are interested in sport and don't care about any political stuff attached to it.

Every single female sports person when covered by the media is called an inspiration and what a great role model they are for young girls, male sports stars don't have to put up with that crap and they simply get dealt with on their merits as top quality sports people.

The day womens sport will have truly moved forward is the day the media starts to treat it like a sport and not in the fawning patronizing manner they treat every single womens sport these days. Womens sports talk would be so much more enjoyable if it was simply treated like a sport and analysed on it's merits but that rarely happens in the media.

Womens sports coverage is tedious to listen to largely because it gets patronized by the media and not treated as simply a sporting event , they have to shoehorn the feminist agenda into as well and therefore it alienates whoever might be interested in the sport because people who are properly interested in sport are interested in sport and don't care about any political stuff attached to it.

Every single female sports person when covered by the media is called an inspiration and what a great role model they are for young girls, male sports stars don't have to put up with that crap and they simply get dealt with on their merits as top quality sports people.

The day womens sport will have truly moved forward is the day the media starts to treat it like a sport and not in the fawning patronizing manner they treat every single womens sport these days. Womens sports talk would be so much more enjoyable if it was simply treated like a sport and analysed on it's merits but that rarely happens in the media.

Women's national soccer team had to change out if tracksuits in airport toilet to give to another team.

Are you sure you want to talk about them being treated differently to male teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I presume Newstalk (off the ball) are getting the Saturday Premier league rights that Today FM are giving up.

Badabing wrote: »
    I presume Newstalk (off the ball) are getting the Saturday Premier league rights that Today FM are giving up.

I'm still sort of hoping that RTE get the TV rights and we get Sports Stadium back on the air.

Badabing wrote: »

I'd have thought they'd have announced it if they were doing this.
    Maybe it'll happen. I would be a big fan of a game broadcast on Saturday and maybe 2 on Sunday. Find they dominate the entire show when they have a game on that day.

I'd have thought they'd have announced it if they were doing this.
    Maybe it'll happen. I would be a big fan of a game broadcast on Saturday and maybe 2 on Sunday. Find they dominate the entire show when they have a game on that day.

Surely you'd wait and announce it at the start of the new season as opposed to the damp squib announcement when they are closing down the football hour for the season?

Surely you'd wait and announce it at the start of the new season as opposed to the damp squib announcement when they are closing down the football hour for the season?

If the deal is done, I'd have thought they'd say it now and still have a big reveal in August starting with a roadshow no doubt.

Interesting to see what's going to happen with Today FM pulling out. Listened to it a lot when Michael McMullen was doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Very good paper review today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I wish they'd put some form of a description on these like 99% of other podcasts can manage. I like listening to Paul Rouse but people still need to know what the majority of the content will be about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement