Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-05-2019, 19:30   #3616
patsy_mccabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Haywire View Post
Are you buying some Jaegerbomb?
Ya, might get a good deal on them now. It was Vagabond (S1046) I was kinda interest in. Not that I don't have enough straws already.
Advertisement
19-05-2019, 19:48   #3617
tanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Knocks View Post
He’s a son of Pinay who has consistently kept high stars
Think someone has a bull off Pinay & were impressed with the offspring.

Can you let us know how the heifers get on
A neighbour of mine had a bull off Pinay for seven years up until two years ago, was easy calved on mostly Saler cows and did very well for him, bred nice stuff that sold very well. The only fault with some of his calves was that if he was used on a leggy cow lacking muscle the calf might be a bit leggy.
Thanks from:
19-05-2019, 20:39   #3618
charolais0153

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsy_mccabe View Post
His figures are savage. Bottom 2% of the breed for calving at 4.3% and yet top 3% for carcass weight. That's just unbelievable.
Do u ever see 2 similar weight and breed of cattle go vastly different prices? On a 400 kg calf there could be 200 or 300 in it,
Thanks from:
19-05-2019, 22:49   #3619
tanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnybill View Post
For a good hard calving,big framed limo that Has good replacement/ milk for a Mature cow that you’d like to keep a heifer out of ? Cross Liam or tomschoice ironstone? Or what is the alternatives
Cross Liam looks good but completely unproven yet. KJB is off Ronick Hawk also and breeds lovely cows i think but his very long gestation is a joke and some of his calves being small can arise with him.
If your cow was medium sized i'd say Mereside Favori FZF, he's the best Lim bull to breed cows ive used, super length, power and calving ability to them. He lacks a bit of milk tho and will increase size also. He's not easy calved but not as hard as ICBF are giving him.
Excel and Loyal from Bova would be good too.
Ironstone looks good, i know the docility figures arent always accurate but his is bad i think.
Thanks from:
19-05-2019, 23:23   #3620
Bigbird1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnybill View Post
For a good hard calving,big framed limo that Has good replacement/ milk for a Mature cow that you’d like to keep a heifer out of ? Cross Liam or tomschoice ironstone? Or what is the alternatives
Try Glorieux (XGL) good limo bull. Iv had good calves from him and he's off a very good milky cow himself.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-05-2019, 23:33   #3621
patsy_mccabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird1 View Post
Try Glorieux (XGL) good limo bull. Iv had good calves from him and he's off a very good milky cow himself.
I've a purebred heifer here by XGL. Really like the shape he brings in the hips, very square and open. Great docility too. I used him to bring size into a few small cows I have. 2 more cows due to him in coming weeks too.
(2) thanks from:
21-05-2019, 09:49   #3622
patsy_mccabe

XGL heifer. Still on the cow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XGL Calf.jpg (2.48 MB, 102 views)
21-05-2019, 09:52   #3623
patsy_mccabe

Came across these today. Never seen the site before. Competition for semenstore.
https://www.uksiresdirect.com/en/sho.../beef/limousin
(3) thanks from:
22-05-2019, 07:27   #3624
Hard Knocks

Quote:
Came across these today. Never seen the site before. Competition for semenstore.
https://www.uksiresdirect.com/en/sho.../beef/limousin
Like the Major/Domino Charolais bull
Advertisement
23-05-2019, 23:15   #3625
patsy_mccabe

Anyone calf ZAG heifers? ICBF have him in the bottom 1% now for maternal calving.
23-05-2019, 23:41   #3626
tanko

Quote:
Anyone calf ZAG heifers? ICBF have him in the bottom 1% now for maternal calving.
I noticed that alrite, calved two of them here this year. One with a good square end calved a Highfield Odran bull no bother.
The other one is very shapey and muscley, more of a U grade heifer, had to give her a bit of help calving a Spiddal Pat heifer. She never opened up properly. She was a bit fat also.
All things considered i wouldnt think ZAG is the best bull to breed replacements off.
Thanks from:
24-05-2019, 00:22   #3627
pure breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsy_mccabe

Calved 3 heifers this year, two have milk and other one is struggling. No problem calving.
Thanks from:
24-05-2019, 00:27   #3628
Never wrestle with pigs

Quote:
Lol, I said that would happen years ago. Can't have your cake and eat it etc. You'd wonder how many good bulls figures were ruined by been used on Heifers like this too.
24-05-2019, 09:12   #3629
patsy_mccabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never wrestle with pigs View Post
Lol, I said that would happen years ago. Can't have your cake and eat it etc. You'd wonder how many good bulls figures were ruined by been used on Heifers like this too.
I have a PB Zag heifer here but my gut feeling is she will be OK for calving as she is sufficient wide and the cow is exceptionally wide.
He doesn't seem to be as bad as the simmental APZ for maternal calving, but not far behind.
25-05-2019, 01:06   #3630
Never wrestle with pigs

Quote:
I have a PB Zag heifer here but my gut feeling is she will be OK for calving as she is sufficient wide and the cow is exceptionally wide.
He doesn't seem to be as bad as the simmental APZ for maternal calving, but not far behind.
If she came from a good framed cow should be no issue. But these lads going down the %3 easy calving for years and retaining females are breeding themselves into a herd of APZ's and it's the bulls used on them that will get the blame.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion