Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-05-2019, 14:25   #1441
dfx-
Moderator
 
dfx-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by n!ghtmancometh View Post
DCC have offered no viable alternative route for the huge volume of busses reliant on College Green. That's why ABP refused them. Some of these busses (13, 40, 27) incidentally serving areas without alternative public transport options like North and West Clondalkin, Tallaght etc. The only plan seems to be to ignore the thousands who will be negatively impacted, and funnel the routes down the narrow, traffic choked quays, along with all the other traffic that has been, and will be displaced by College Green ban.
College Green/Dame St was closed off last week at 3pm due to a breakdown/blockage at College Green. Madness ensues sending buses around onto the Quays.

Thankfully it was only an hour or two, but closing the main artery is not and has never been a good idea.
dfx- is offline  
Advertisement
13-05-2019, 23:40   #1442
CatInABox
Moderator
 
CatInABox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,737
Mod: Xbox, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfx- View Post
College Green/Dame St was closed off last week at 3pm due to a breakdown/blockage at College Green. Madness ensues sending buses around onto the Quays.

Thankfully it was only an hour or two, but closing the main artery is not and has never been a good idea.
I mean, there's a difference between an sudden, unplanned diversion, and a planned, permanent diversion.
CatInABox is offline  
14-05-2019, 09:04   #1443
cgcsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfx- View Post
College Green/Dame St was closed off last week at 3pm due to a breakdown/blockage at College Green. Madness ensues sending buses around onto the Quays.

Thankfully it was only an hour or two, but closing the main artery is not and has never been a good idea.
Is this a serious post or is it tongue in cheek?
cgcsb is offline  
14-05-2019, 11:10   #1444
monument
Moderator
 
monument's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfx- View Post
College Green/Dame St was closed off last week at 3pm due to a breakdown/blockage at College Green. Madness ensues sending buses around onto the Quays.

Thankfully it was only an hour or two, but closing the main artery is not and has never been a good idea.
Get cars back on Grafton Street now!
monument is offline  
04-06-2019, 12:20   #1445
cgcsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,375
All quiet on this. The supposed events in July haven't been mentioned. No work done on the bus diversions required. Struggling to understand what use DCC is right now.
cgcsb is offline  
Advertisement
05-06-2019, 22:14   #1446
Last Stop
Registered User
 
Last Stop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 69
Why cant we move all the traffic to the BOI side and move the bus stops further down Dame St??? This would create a large enough plaza without completely shutting down the main artery of the city.
Remember the fire station is on Pearse st. What would happen in the event of a fire on Dame St. if College green was fully pedestrianised? I know people will say we’ll manage but to me this plan while ideal on paper, does not take into account the reality of the situation. If traffic was allowed on one side and moved more freely, it would be a far nicer place. Long term I can see Lucan Luas joining the Green Line here and creating an integrated transport network, not possible if CG is fully closed.
An Bord Pleanala identified some serious flaws with the current proposal and instead of trying to address these issues, DCC appear to have gone on the defensive and attempted to prove ABP wrong.
Last Stop is offline  
05-06-2019, 22:17   #1447
Eric Cartman
Registered User
 
Eric Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 18,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by monument View Post
Get cars back on Grafton Street now!
I would welcome this outside of the 9-5 working hours. the city needs to stop just looking at hurting car drivers (and by extension commercial drivers) as a means to make people more green.
Eric Cartman is offline  
05-06-2019, 22:51   #1448
noelfirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Stop View Post
Remember the fire station is on Pearse st. What would happen in the event of a fire on Dame St. if College green was fully pedestrianised? I know people will say we’ll manage but to me this plan while ideal on paper, does not take into account the reality of the situation.
Just on that specific point - DCC's initial plan for the plaza included a two way cycle lane across the plaza, which would presumably double up as an emergency lane. Remembering also that vehicle access to the front car park of the BOI and Foster Place was to be maintained (access to/from the bus turning circle). I don't think fire engines getting across the plaza as required is really likely to be that big an issue...

noelfirl is offline  
(3) thanks from:
05-06-2019, 22:56   #1449
BonnieSituation
Registered User
 
BonnieSituation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
I would welcome this outside of the 9-5 working hours. the city needs to stop just looking at hurting car drivers (and by extension commercial drivers) as a means to make people more green.
You think that what we need is people being able to drive up and down Grafton St?

What problem does that solve?
BonnieSituation is offline  
Advertisement
05-06-2019, 23:21   #1450
Last Stop
Registered User
 
Last Stop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelfirl View Post
Just on that specific point - DCC's initial plan for the plaza included a two way cycle lane across the plaza, which would presumably double up as an emergency lane. Remembering also that vehicle access to the front car park of the BOI and Foster Place was to be maintained (access to/from the bus turning circle). I don't think fire engines getting across the plaza as required is really likely to be that big an issue...

Good point but this only furthers my argument as if you look at the unnatural route proposed for cyclists it would seem much more beneficial to keep them going straight on the BOI side.
Also you just know that the bus turning circle will be blocked by either a taxi driver or someone with flashers on, causing the whole of Dame St. to come to a stand still. If Buses were able to move straight through and terminate at Fleet St, it would create a much better flow through the area.
Last Stop is offline  
06-06-2019, 09:31   #1451
Duckjob
Registered User
 
Duckjob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by monument
Get cars back on Grafton Street now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
I would welcome this outside of the 9-5 working hours. the city needs to stop just looking at hurting car drivers (and by extension commercial drivers) as a means to make people more green.

Last edited by Duckjob; 06-06-2019 at 09:58.
Duckjob is offline  
Thanks from:
06-06-2019, 17:10   #1452
cgcsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
I would welcome this outside of the 9-5 working hours. the city needs to stop just looking at hurting car drivers (and by extension commercial drivers) as a means to make people more green.
No thanks
cgcsb is offline  
06-06-2019, 17:11   #1453
cgcsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Stop View Post
Why cant we move all the traffic to the BOI side and move the bus stops further down Dame St??? This would create a large enough plaza without completely shutting down the main artery of the city.
Remember the fire station is on Pearse st. What would happen in the event of a fire on Dame St. if College green was fully pedestrianised? I know people will say we’ll manage but to me this plan while ideal on paper, does not take into account the reality of the situation. If traffic was allowed on one side and moved more freely, it would be a far nicer place. Long term I can see Lucan Luas joining the Green Line here and creating an integrated transport network, not possible if CG is fully closed.
An Bord Pleanala identified some serious flaws with the current proposal and instead of trying to address these issues, DCC appear to have gone on the defensive and attempted to prove ABP wrong.
Emergancy vehicles can drive up pedestrianized Henry st at any time. This would be the same. They'd also have the option of using the bus lane on the quays.
cgcsb is offline  
06-06-2019, 23:15   #1454
Spanish Eyes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,205
For the first time in a long time I was on Dame Street about 5.30pm today.

OMG it was just mayhem. No room for pedestrians on the footpaths AT ALL, some had to dip onto the street. Dangerous... So many bus stops with the queues that impede on foot traffic. Maybe I lead a sheltered life, but I was honestly gobsmacked at the amount of car/bus/ped traffic there. Totally choking the place really.

I would wonder if the City Councillors ever have a wander around at all.
Spanish Eyes is offline  
(3) thanks from:
07-06-2019, 01:33   #1455
prinzeugen
Registered User
 
prinzeugen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
For the first time in a long time I was on Dame Street about 5.30pm today.

OMG it was just mayhem. No room for pedestrians on the footpaths AT ALL, some had to dip onto the street. Dangerous... So many bus stops with the queues that impede on foot traffic. Maybe I lead a sheltered life, but I was honestly gobsmacked at the amount of car/bus/ped traffic there. Totally choking the place really.

I would wonder if the City Councillors ever have a wander around at all.
Councillors dont. The proposals for the quiet -way in South Dublin proves that they just sit with a map and a coloured pencil or crayon.

What do you propose? Get rid of the car/bus and pedestrians? College Green would be nice and clear for cyclists then. College Green is vital for public transport.
prinzeugen is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet