Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

opus wrote: »
    Just wondering if this is possible via Google Home, I've a light that GH can already turn on/off. What I'd like is for it turn it on every evening at sunset & then turn it off at midnight again. Any pointers appreciated.

Can you just set up a routine to run at the specified time each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Could you use IFTTT to schedule it?
    https://ifttt.com/smartlife

Thanks a lot for that link, it was ridiculously easy to set up, guess I'll find out if it works later on :)

478661.png

Wasn't clear to me how to do it via the GH routines but personally I think that app is one big mess that really needs a redesign.

Just to update, it worked perfectly, thanks again for the pointer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I'm not at home to test this and it's probably not exactly what you're looking for but interesting nonetheless https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidauthority.com/google-assistant-philips-hue-gentle-wake-up-941026/amp/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

You just need to say "stop" to shut the alarm off, no hey google needed - rolling out to all English locations according to Google.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

jogdish wrote: »
    You just need to say "stop" to shut the alarm off, no hey google needed - rolling out to all English locations according to Google.

That is so long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Oh that'll be good.

...and of course I just tried and it doesn't work, assuming it will come soonish?

!!! Just found out setting a Radio Alarm now works on UK English.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

!!! Just found out setting a Radio Alarm now works on UK English.
    Does setting the volume of the alarm have an effect on the radio alarm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just the alarm or will this work with timers also?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Anybody having issues with sleep timers. Have a couple of routines that use them and it would normally just run the routines, generally playing music or sleep sounds, and would then just stop playing at the desired time interval. Now when a sleep timer it set when it reaches that time an alarm/timer sound sounds (scaring the byjasus out of you when dozzing off) and the music/sleep sound continues playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Just the alarm or will this work with timers also?

worked for me with a countdown timer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Hi lads

Currently use the time tree app with wife as a shared calendar but want to use one that will appear on home hub screen and Google home in general.

Anyone use a shared calendar compatible with GH?

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Hi lads

Currently use the time tree app with wife as a shared calendar but want to use one that will appear on home hub screen and Google home in general.

Google Calendar will do this, if you both use it. You can also have a family calendar

Yep, there's nothing that will work even remotely as well. It's made to work with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Hi lads

Um... google calendar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Hi all,

Has anyone had success getting a home mini working with android tv?

It can only do basic commands like mute the TV.

I was hoping to play netflix and power on and off the TV etc

Surely I don't have to buy a chromecast even though its built into android tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

Control of Android TV from Google Home has been hit and miss since the beginning. Apparently the status at the moment is that Google Home can control an Android TV that already has Google Assistant built in, but I have found that this does not always work. And that's just for basic functions like Power On and volume. Then the apps on the TV have to be enabled for Home control, so Youtube works but at the moment Netflix doesn't. Then they had the privacy issues with Photos, so they turned that function off. Functionality also varies by platform, so what works for Nvidia Shield may not work on a Sony TV. Anyway, it continues to change and there's no easy way to figure out what works and what doesn't. It's a bit f a mess.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

RunDMC wrote: »
    Control of Android TV from Google Home has been hit and miss since the beginning. Apparently the status at the moment is that Google Home can control an Android TV that already has Google Assistant built in, but I have found that this does not always work. And that's just for basic functions like Power On and volume. Then the apps on the TV have to be enabled for Home control, so Youtube works but at the moment Netflix doesn't. Then they had the privacy issues with Photos, so they turned that function off. Functionality also varies by platform, so what works for Nvidia Shield may not work on a Sony TV. Anyway, it continues to change and there's no easy way to figure out what works and what doesn't. It's a bit f a mess.

R

Thanks for that I might end up just getting a chromecast, hopefully it will resolve the issue

• Advertisement

Anyone else's switch from US to UK voice across all devices today? I can't change it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Anyone else's switch from US to UK voice across all devices today? I can't change it back.

Had the opposite issue! I'm guessing your phone updated. Change the phones language to English (US) and the language on the home app to the same, then you should get the option in the home app to change the voice. Only comes up with both languages as US English. It's irritating, confusing, and awkward and took me about 40 minutes to work out this afternoon!

Had the opposite issue! I'm guessing your phone updated. Change the phones language to English (US) and the language on the home app to the same, then you should get the option in the home app to change the voice. Only comes up with both languages as US English. It's irritating, confusing, and awkward and took me about 40 minutes to work out this afternoon!

No updates on the phone. Weirdly my phone changed at some stage on the M11 on the way home as I noticed it speaking back in UK using Android auto but the Mrs said the kitchen display spoke UK back to her when setting a timer before I got home.

I have the phone in US, I've the language in the home app in US and I've the voice back to the US male I always used (this was the only one I found changed) and they're all still talking back to me in the default female UK. Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

No updates on the phone. Weirdly my phone changed at some stage on the M11 on the way home as I noticed it speaking back in UK using Android auto but the Mrs said the kitchen display spoke UK back to her when setting a timer before I got home.

I have the phone in US, I've the language in the home app in US and I've the voice back to the US male I always used (this was the only one I found changed) and they're all still talking back to me in the default female UK. Very odd.

Could be some bug, It was answering me in US, but there were some hangs and the error reports came through in UK.

I'll give it to the weekend and reset them all if no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Same issue here.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Could be some bug, It was answering me in US, but there were some hangs and the error reports came through in UK.

Same thing for me. My Philips Hue aren’t working via Google Home for some reason and she answers about that in UK. But responds to usual requests in US

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

nialldinho wrote:
    Same thing for me. My Philips Hue aren’t working via Google Home for some reason and she answers about that in UK. But responds to usual requests in US

I'd the same this evening with UK voice. Phillips hue is working though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I thought it was just me!

• Advertisement

I see my Play Store has reverted to the old style too. Not sure if it's related.

Advertisement