Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hi all.
    Looking for a bit of help with a chromecast and google home.
    Have everything set up.Chromecast is casting fine from my mobile. All apps are working as they should be.

Problem I have is that I cant get Netflix or any app for that matter to cast from my googe homei using voice control. Ive linked accounts etc.

Ill ask her to "play whatever show on Netflix on Living room Tv" and Ill get a response of "sure heres whatever playing on living room tv". But I just get a screen saying "Netflix ready to cast" and it never starts to play.Similar to the attached image.
    Anyone got any ideas. Im at it since last night and Im ready to give up at this stage!!!

Ive a feeling that its something tiny Im missing somewhere.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Looking for a bit of help with a chromecast and google home.
    Have everything set up.Chromecast is casting fine from my mobile. All apps are working as they should be.

Problem I have is that I cant get Netflix or any app for that matter to cast from my googe homei using voice control. Ive linked accounts etc.

Ill ask her to "play whatever show on Netflix on Living room Tv" and Ill get a response of "sure heres whatever playing on living room tv". But I just get a screen saying "Netflix ready to cast" and it never starts to play.Similar to the attached image.
    Anyone got any ideas. Im at it since last night and Im ready to give up at this stage!!!

Ive a feeling that its something tiny Im missing somewhere.
    Thanks

That looks like a tv in a car - the chromecast and google home both need to be connected to the same wifi.

Does the home turn on and off the tv?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

That looks like a tv in a car - the chromecast and google home both need to be connected to the same wifi.

Does the home turn on and off the tv?

Sorry that picture was one I took off google.
    Exact same error.
    They are both on the same wifi.
    Dont think the TV is new enough for home to turn it on and off-To be honest I havent tried that.
    As I said it will cast from my phone / tablet etc but not through GH voice controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Sorry that picture was one I took off google.
    Exact same error.
    They are both on the same wifi.
    Dont think the TV is new enough for home to turn it on and off-To be honest I havent tried that.
    As I said it will cast from my phone / tablet etc but not through GH voice controls.

If you have a Chromecast connected to the TV and all set up properly through the Google Home App, you should be able to turn the TV on and off with voice commands.

Both Gen 1 and Gen 2 Chromecasts work for me on TV's that are at least 6 years old - main one is probably getting on to 10 years old at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭grumpygit

I seem to be having same kind of issue lately. Sony TV with built in Chromecast. Can't play YouTube or Netflix from Google home, tries to connect then says sorry something went wrong. Can cast ok to TV from phone. Have tried unlinking and relinking TV to Google home but same result, used to work perfectly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

grumpygit wrote: »
    I seem to be having same kind of issue lately. Sony TV with built in Chromecast. Can't play YouTube or Netflix from Google home, tries to connect then says sorry something went wrong. Can cast ok to TV from phone. Have tried unlinking and relinking TV to Google home but same result, used to work perfectly

I had a problem like this last week and had to unlink and relink my netflix account

Thanks matrim, tried it but still no joy, can cast both Netflix and YouTube from my phone. Have also tried it with 2 Google homes and same result so kinda points to an issue with my Google home account talking to my built in chromcast, tried rebooting TV and homes as well, due a TV update to Android 8 so will wait and see what happens when I get that. Tried rebooting router as well but that made no difference either

Looks like a known issue they are working on

https://support.google.com/googlehome/thread/639131?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

R.O.R wrote: »
    If you have a Chromecast connected to the TV and all set up properly through the Google Home App, you should be able to turn the TV on and off with voice commands.

Both Gen 1 and Gen 2 Chromecasts work for me on TV's that are at least 6 years old - main one is probably getting on to 10 years old at this stage.

What brand tv is it? Doesn't work with my Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Blacktie. wrote: »

One Panasonic and one Philips.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Blacktie. wrote: »

You need CEC turned on, and generally only one HDMI socket supports it, usually 1. Check in the menus - Samsung often call it Anynet+

And to turn on, the Chromecast normally cannot be powered from the TVs USB socket either - as that won't be on. Some TVs have always on sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

For the last 2 mornings (yesterday and today), my Google Home Mini has become unresponsive at some point over the night, resulting in my alarms not going off in the morning.
    The only way to resurrect it is to pull out the plug from the wall, wait a few seconds, and stick the power back in, then it works fine again.

Anyone else experienced something similar? Is there a way to fix this?
    It's about a year old..

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

AngelaRI wrote: »
    For the last 2 mornings (yesterday and today), my Google Home Mini has become unresponsive at some point over the night, resulting in my alarms not going off in the morning.
    The only way to resurrect it is to pull out the plug from the wall, wait a few seconds, and stick the power back in, then it works fine again.

Anyone else experienced something similar? Is there a way to fix this?
    It's about a year old..

Happened me once about 6 weeks ago but hasn't occurred since so haven't been too concerned about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

When my Google home says it has sent details of a query to my phone, it is actually my rarely used Android tablet that the information is sent to. I have searched through the settings, but I can't see where I can change the default device. Would anyone know if this possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I have this with my new phone. I ask it to find my phone but it rings my older device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Mine asks me if I want it to ring my MiA1 or my Pixel 3 but I'm not sure how to stop it asking and just do the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Does anyone else have issues when asking google home to 'find my phone'? It responds with 'I don't know how to help with that', the annoying thing is it always worked with my old oneplus phone but never worked with my pixel

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

When did continued conversations arrive for the UK/Irish markets? It's working now for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

L1011 wrote: »
    You need CEC turned on, and generally only one HDMI socket supports it, usually 1. Check in the menus - Samsung often call it Anynet+

And to turn on, the Chromecast normally cannot be powered from the TVs USB socket either - as that won't be on. Some TVs have always on sockets.

Ah no luck with my tv. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

ixoy wrote: »
    When did continued conversations arrive for the UK/Irish markets? It's working now for me.

Working for me too...I turned it on on using the App on my smartphone and working perfectly
    Now,if only we could make handsfree calls wouldn't that be great? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Steve F wrote: »
    Working for me too...I turned it on on using the App on my smartphone and working perfectly
    Now,if only we could make handsfree calls wouldn't that be great? :)

Calls are available through Duo afaik.
    Receiver would also need to be using Duo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

In the US and UK it can make regular phone calls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

jogdish wrote: »
    In the US and UK it can make regular phone calls

I know,,,sadly not in ROI where I am

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Anyone know what software version of Sony Andriod TV with chrome cast built In allows voice control?? I can't get anything to work,same with the bring shopping app....that I can talk away too but doesn't show up on phone app then...it used too

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

I believe the 2017 model year was the first to introduce Google Assistant.

R

RunDMC wrote: »
    I believe the 2017 model year was the first to introduce Google Assistant.

R

Ah ok,mine is older but I thought a software update would do it,its up to date with 5.417

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

No, a special "always-on" microphone and privacy switch were required.

R

RunDMC wrote: »
    No, a special "always-on" microphone and privacy switch were required.

R

Ok...I thought it would work via Google home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Calls are available through Duo afaik.
    Receiver would also need to be using Duo.

Have you done this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Still no official support for Deezer in Ireland,?

Advertisement