Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smokers: Pack or Rollies?

• 13-08-2009 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

I've always gone for a pack of camel lights or a good aul jp blue since I started smoking. I recently started smoking rolling tobacco (at nearly half the price, E4.20, and get almost twice as many cigarettes out of them).

I think my lungs have improved since I started smoking them. They don't seem to have as much chemicals in them, they aren't as convenient as just lighting up and you aren't smoking as much tobacco due to the size of the rollie.

I was wondering how others felt either on the financial side and also the health side.

I know smoking is bad no matter what way you do it but I think there might be cheaper, healthier options to the common cigarette.

What about the rest of ya's? Whats your brand of choice?

Smoker since age 10.

Rollies or Cigarettes ? 116 votes

Rollies
    0% 0 votes
    Cigarettes
    100% 116 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Smoking is cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I'm an ex-smoker but i enjoy the occasional one every now and then, with a drink or two. Rollies are great, i get more of a nicer feel of a rollie than a cigarette

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Rollies are banned around this Workplace, used to annoy the stones out of me watchin the minions takin ages to roll a cigarette and then expectin that the smoke break didnt start til they lit it :mad::mad::mad:

although I do smoke meself I usually smoke Marlboro Reds.

rollies make yo look poor, or worse, Cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Rollies give the impression of someone with yellow smelly fingers smouldering away (in a bad way) with nothing better to do all day then roll tobacco into a paper.

Major ftw, when you need that kick in the lungs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I prefer packs by far. Although I do enjoy the occasional rollie. I like rolling 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Rollies.

Ready-to-smokes are the alcopops of nicotine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Take pity :(

I was once a cigarette smoker, now reduced to paper & tobacco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Rollies give the impression of with yellow smelly fingers smouldering away (in a bad way) someone with nothing better to do all day then roll tobacco into a paper.

Or an artsy crafty person, or a bit dykey.
    I like that the rolling tobacco doesn't have as many addictive chemicals added. If I smoke 200 duty free cigarettes my rollie intake doubles afterwards until I get the addiction level back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Smoked rollies for a while but then the hassle of rolling them in the pub got to me, back on packs now. A friends ma would roll 20 in the morning and stick them in a box for the day. Handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Cigarettes ftw. Couldn't be bothered with all that finicky rolling stuff tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

For the last few months i've been on the rollies for financial reasons. Cutters choice is my brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rollies for me: Golden Virgina, or Amber Leaf, and use blue papers only. SmokingPaper if I can get it. Cigarettes tend to give me a dry throat, so don't smoke them that often. May even be switching to a pipe soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Has to be rollies. They're cheaper and I find that they are a whole lot tastier than regular fags.
    It's fun to roll up as well. They're not the handiest things for when I'm out, but I'll gladly put up with this. Sometimes I roll up a few before I get out just to avoid trying to drunkenly roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

i smoked fags then roolies coz there were cheap and now fags again! <snip>

No mention of black market or dodgy sources of tobacco.
    Read the charter.

Thanks,

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭gavlaw

rollies during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭gavlaw

fags at weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Ha, well, rollies are fun... but me trying to do them while drunk is just a hazard! and I only smoke when I'm drinking.. so, packs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've always bought packs of cigarettes. I've never learned how to roll and it just looks too time consuming.

A mate of mine smokes rollies and I'm nearly always finished my pre-rolled before he's even lit his.

I've tried both types but I find that rollies have a strange taste. Don't really like it to be honest. Maybe it's because I've just been so used to smoking pre-rolled for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

This is going to sound completely wacko!:eek:

But i actualy think rollies smell nicer than cigarettes!

i dont know why..............................and dont even smoke.....:D:D

..........................:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

Zangetsu wrote: »
    I've always gone for a pack of camel lights or a good aul jp blue since I started smoking. I recently started smoking rolling tobacco (at nearly half the price, E4.20, and get almost twice as many cigarettes out of them).

I think my lungs have improved since I started smoking them. They don't seem to have as much chemicals in them, they aren't as convenient as just lighting up and you aren't smoking as much tobacco due to the size of the rollie.

I was wondering how others felt either on the financial side and also the health side.

I know smoking is bad no matter what way you do it but I think there might be cheaper, healthier options to the common cigarette.

Smoker since age 10.

Theyre the main reasons Ive switched to the rollies now aswell, Golden Virginia for me, still use johnnie blue when Im smoking other substances;)
    anybody any tips for getting rid of tobacco stains on the fingers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Rollies for me, used to smoke civvies but lost my job so had to purely smoke rollies. Now I've gotten used to them and find it really hard to smoke civvies, and I bloody love rolling, means you smoke less for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ive always smokes packs so i doubt ill change now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

The only reason anyone smokes rollies is because they can't afford smokes.
    Well atleast thats the only reason they start.
    For me its rollies because I can't afford €8.45 for a box of marlboro red everyday especially when I can spend a little over €9 and get my 25gram puch of golden virginia and 2 packs of blue rizla which will last for a week (the tobacco maybe not the skins)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

I smoke rollies, i used to smoke marlboro but then i returned to college and became a bum so couldnt afford smokes in a packet. I smoke amber leaf and got myself a rolling machine in germany. so much handier!!! family and friends go to germany and brussels alot where a packet of ten FIFTY gm packets are only 33 euro, so im set up for the year!!! Would nearly be worth takin an overnight cheap stay to either of those places just to stock up!! Be warned tho, its no easy to get in france!!!! and BTW try rubbing toothpaste on your fingers the person who was askin about yellow stains.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

ah Rollies definitly.............

golden virginia a nice smoke mmmmmmmmmm
    ahhhhhhhh

Years ago smoked benson but was gettin a bit sic of them and friends introduced me to the rollie....

less chemicals
    cheaper
    just enough tobacco in it (i always threw away a bit of cigarette)
    smoke less (if you have to roll it cant grab one when driving and you wont have one until you really want it!

perfecto!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

thorbarry wrote: »
    I'm an ex-smoker but i enjoy the occasional one every now and then, with a drink or two. Rollies are great, i get more of a nicer feel of a rollie than a cigarette

i agree, plus its the whole act of making the rollie that makes it taste all the better.... mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 18 daithi1986

Marlboro Red all the way. Rollies are disgusting looking, tasting etc.... nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 brendasi

A friend of mine told me that his rollies were only pure tobacco and did not include the many chemicals/toxins that are in ordinary cigarettes?

Anyone know if this is true or not?

Many Thanks

D
    x

=================

Smoker since age 10.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

brendasi wrote: »
    Anyone know if this is true or not?
    Yes it's true. Pre-packaged cigarettes contain all manner of crap that the makers don't want you to know about.

A friend of mine who does a bit of musicianing on the trad scene pointed out that trad musicians always smoke rollies. If someone starts up during your smoke you can put your cigarette down and it'll go out. Pre-packaged ciggies contain saltpetre so they keep burning.

As I said earlier, pre-packaged cigarettes are nicotine alcopops: a drug delivery system for people who don't actually like the taste of tobacco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Kormeera X wrote: »
    But i actualy think rollies smell nicer than cigarettes!

i dont know why......................QUOTE]

I agree with this. Started smoking JP, now been smoking Marlboro Lights for the last 5 years maybe. But love the smell of rolling tobacco. mmmm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

I have been smoking rollups for over 15 years , i use drum tobacco and always put filters in the cigarettes i make .

I would not smoke ready made cigarettes , i don't like them .

The glue on the papers is bad i hear , i always tear it off , i have been doing that for years , just pull it off , the part with the glue on it , it comes off easily , and then roll the cigarette , it will stick anyway without the glue when you lick it , you don't need the glue on the papers , the glue is probably more harmfull then the tobacco itself .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ajdb

Smoker since age 10.

Marlboro (lights &Red), Camel and Lucky Strike. I also like a nice rollie. Today is the first time I've decided to give them up for lent. So here goes - day 1, 39 to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I've smoked rollies for at least 2 years, once you have a technique they take 15 seconds max to roll. Infinitely better value that fags. Ciggys are alright when you are drunk and incapable of rolling up, but on a day to day basis rollies win every time...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I smoke rollies because I like tobacco and I always wonder why people get yellow fingers from them. I think they must be doing it wrong. And as for looking poor, that's bollox. Ever heard a knacker ask you for a rollie? No, because poor people smoke cigarettes. Rollies are for cool people. As was said earlier in the thread, cigarettes are the alcopops of tobacco.

I smoke rollies because I like tobacco and I always wonder why people get yellow fingers from them.
    I find it's the way they hold the filter. If they grasp the filter in the middle, it's usually okay. Grasping the filter at the end, gives your fingers a tinge. Same goes with normal smokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

A pack of beautiful JP for from payday til monday or tuesday. Then slum it with the cutters choice til the bank account gets another visit

• Moderators Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Cant beat a packet on Cutter Choice, if you like Golden Virgina or Amber Leaf then you love CC, Isn't as dry as GV and AL and tastes nicer to imo.

I smoke Benson when i can afford them, but a 25g bag, 2 packets of skins and 1 pack of filters gets me through the midweek. Way better value and nicer than packet cigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Everyone here thats on the cigarettes seems to mention the hassle and time it takes to roll.

After a few weeks on the rollies rolling almost becomes second nature. I can roll a rollie in around 30 seconds. As long as your not new to smoking rolling tobacco it comes so easily.

I think that if you use filters on your rollies they are better for you than cigarettes. The quality of tobacco is much lower in cigarettes. I will never deny that, however, the price is what made me start using rolling tobacco. Nowadays I prefer a nice rollie of drum with a rizla filter, or, if I'm lucky, some drum gold, to any cigarette bar the American Marlboro lights and Benson Special Filter.

And regarding what people said about people labelling you as a bum, hippy, crusty or someone cheap if you smoke rollies, I really couldnt care what they think. If someone judges someone on what they smoke than I'd rather they stay away from me. People need to stop caring what shallow, snobby people like these think. Nothing gives people the right to judge people on something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Don't smoke. But the smell of Rolled tobacco or pipe tobacco is a lot better than cirgarette tobacco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I can't stand rollies but with the way things are atm, I'll probably be forced to switch:mad:.

• Advertisement

RastaRed wrote: »
    anybody any tips for getting rid of tobacco stains on the fingers?
    Scrub it hard using soap. Not some hand soap, the stuff you get in a bar.
    Evolute wrote: »
    The only reason anyone smokes rollies is because they can't afford smokes.
    For some, maybe. For me, I get a dry throat from smoking any brand of cigarette, but not so when smoking rollies.
    Chewabacca wrote: »
    And regarding what people said about people labelling you as a bum, hippy, crusty or someone cheap if you smoke rollies, I really couldnt care what they think. If someone judges someone on what they smoke than I'd rather they stay away from me. People need to stop caring what shallow, snobby people like these think. Nothing gives people the right to judge people on something like that.
    Agreed: the people who give a damn about what or how I smoke, I ignore. To those that think any different of me, as it takes "too long" to roll a rollie, are usually the ones who smoke 10-20 a day, so meh, die muthaf*cker, and leave me in peace :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

I smoked the ciggys for 15 years, recently because of financial reasons i went onto rollies. Costs 1.50 per day apposed to ciggys 8.45.
    They do have less chemicals. I use large papers coz the small ones dont last long enough.
    All that said, smoking is hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

firrst of all some people smoke rollies because they cant afford cigerettes and thats fine they are much cheaper, but for me i smoke rollies now amber leaf (must have a filter) because i find them so much nicer than cigs, cigs make me feel ill now. i dont smoke em because i am cheap like some fools here think, i am financially well off and i dont criticise people that do smoke rollies and i dont think smoking is cool, but while i am still smoking i will try and mimimise the damage a bit with rollie tobacco. hopefully i will kick the habit soon

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭silliegillie

Try to Quit smoking and sort of succeeding (Still will Smoke when drinking)
    Havent smoked a rolling in ages but im longing for one know although i do get a sensation of a lump in my throat when I smoke rollies, Any one else experience that. Oh By the way Smoking IS for cool people :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Used to be packs, but I'm a student so switched to rollies and I prefer the taste and feel of them. Its much more satisfying rolling my own. My friend rolls hers for the day in the morning.

If I did buy a pack its Marlboro Reds.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Orangutani

Always used to be a Marlboro Red man, then started to realise I was spending about €60 a week on them. Changed over to rollies, Drum dark blue with filters. Fecking insane how much money I'm saving. After two years of them, I can now roll in less than 20 secs, and I much prefer them to packs. Currently smokin through a 200pack of B&H, a duty-free present. They give me a dry throat, don't taste as nice as the rollies either. Everytime I smoke one I end up with a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach and an urge to take a ****. Or leave a ****, whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sopick

i smoked since i was a little fella and started smokin the pouch tobacco golden virginia over a year ago which is miles cheaper and you smoke less aswell and i gave em up about a month ago just kept smoking less and less and then said f**k it and gave em up so pouch tobacco is way better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sumatra

Smoker since age 10.

I recently have started to do the same, was a marlboro light smoker and went down to rollies for budget reasons. I personally do find myself alot less 'chesty' due to the fact that there is a hell of alot less chemicals in them and also the good inconvenience of having to roll everytime you want one has made me smoke less :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cathy_C

used to smoke john player but quickly switched to drum light (with blue rizlas) when they hiked the price up... actually, i think it was when they got rid of ten boxes! much prefer rollies, even though almost every time i'm rolling some ignorant ciggie smoker decides i want one of theirs, why can't they understand some people actually prefer rollies?! much cheaper and since i started smoking light drum there's much less to cough up in the mornings :) pouch usually lasts me two to three days which is great, my (ex) flatmate spends at least 60quid a week on fags and that's practically my rent! only thing is going out though, drunk rolling takes much longer :(

Havent smoked a rolling in ages but im longing for one know although i do get a sensation of a lump in my throat when I smoke rollies, Any one else experience that.
    Get it checked out ASAP. Lumps in wrong places sometimes coincide with cancer...
    Cathy_C wrote: »
    drunk rolling takes much longer :(
    It gets easier after a while. I find using filters when rolling when drunk easier than using a roach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement