Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭InsideEdge

The no-balls were double-bounces that were also hit for runs so not as bad as it reads. And I'd bet you would comfortably bowl more than 1 no ball per over in 4 overs and would go for a similar amount of runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Current standings

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭InsideEdge

Didn't think that England would be bottom of the table, looked like a very good team before the start of the tournament...

Afghanistan doing well tho and the South Africa top order batsmen

• Advertisement

Wow - what an innings by Glen Maxwell - once in a lifetime kind of experience watching it - absolutely unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

That was some win for Australia to day they sure know how to win . India are shell shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Wouldn't go for anywhere near 427 in 20 overs, on a bad day might concede 220, hard to know, 427 in 20 takes some doing

Watching bits of WI vs England.

have to say firstly how bad the pitch is. Bounce is incredibly inconsistent…not lending to a good cricket spectacle….

Some good length balls going through at shin height. Then balls pitch only slightly short and up into the throat of batsmen. A load of rubbish.

England with a reasonably good score considering they were 239/7 after 41…. after 50… 325 all out.

Bad start with the ball by England… Curran opening the bowling, concedes 19 off 2 overs… anyone get England’s obsession with this guy ?

Atkinson has been better, tidier and slightly more threatening…

never get the hype regarding Sam Curran.. guy has been afforded huge opportunity in all formats… doesn’t score enough runs or take enough wickets… here again he is 0/26 from 3.

talks well, and seemingly very affable but… doesn’t have the stats or consistency to back the huge volume of faith shown in him…

England will be worried at how few chances they have created here, just the one closeish lbw shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Yep England's bowling in general in ODI's have been horrible since the last World Cup and yes I don't get the whole Curran thing. Below average at batting and doesn't really offer much with the ball. One of those bits and pieces cricketers that simply aren't up to international cricket standards. Looking at his ODI stats, his last 7 matches for England have seen him concede 322 runs at 8 an over and only took 4 wickets at an average of 80! Dreadful stuff.

I find it silly that England arranged this tour so soon after the World Cup. Just give the players a couple of months off!

English had WI needing nearly 11 runs an over at one point. Their bowlers managed to shît the bed again.

Sam Curran … bowling full tosses in the 49th over, 6…. Curran, wicketless, 92 runs conceded by him in 9.5 overs…..

dont get the fuss about this guy at all. No more than a bits and pieces cricketer but he’s almost considered royalty by some media and supporters…..his stats are average….what the thundering monkey scutter is Englands obsession with Sam Curran…???

30 wickets in 29 ODIs….yet he’s bowling at the death with England needing wickets…. Hello ! 👋

England were cruising now vs WI but the middle order all over the shop… playing and missing like tail enders and false shots a plenty.

Should square the series, 83 needed with 6 wickets left… you’d still back them, just.

Windies winning

Tonight England making a cock up of their batting innings… pretty much cruising at 117/3 from 10.5 overs… 200 + was pretty getable until the a shambles of a collapse…

England 171 all out..losing the last 6 wickets for 50 runs.

As per usual Sam Curran MBE the ‘all rounder’ contributed nothing…

was he given the MBE for charity work ? Saving a family surround by fire ? Actually neither…

‘Services to cricket’… apparently… he’s an average all rounder…. But seemingly cultivated a very eloquent and smiley media persona….

gets to open the bowling now… 🫣. First over costs his side 16 runs… and he vociferously appeals for an lbw for a ball the hit the middle of the bat and goes to ground… 🤷‍♂️

West Indies win handy enough, winning runs smashed off another Sam Curran half tracker.. Curran 0/23 from 2.1 overs ffs. Scored 13 runs with the bat… Also….He opened the bowling and will no doubt be first name on the team sheet…despite being crap.

I hate to tell you I was on to slower ball Sam a long time ago, he's a poor cricketer, but if you think he's bad, look at the brother, consistently bad, goes for 10 an over in most T20s

Just looked up Tom curran, economy rate of 9.25 in T20 internationals and 8.8 in all T20s. That equates to 185 off 20 and 176 off 20. Also 2 tests, 2/200. Averages 100 with the ball. 28 odis, economy 5.9, average just below 38. Surrey bias for sure, remember Jade Dernbach? Steroid head with a load of tatoos, who would bowl at least 1 wide and 2 bad balls an over, and then celebrate like a lunatic when someone slogged him up in the air. The currans might be bad, but he was ridiculous

I could never see the appeal of either of those lads but I thought maybe with them being so young when they were first were getting a lot of media coverage, I thought the talent was in the locker and just needed to be realised.

a couple of quite decent enough county cricketers, but not internationals. I wonder would either have had the same time and opportunities if they’d been playing for one of the less fashionable counties like say Worcestershire ?

Surrey are pretty much as a club, cricketing royalty. A lot of great players, great internationals came from there too but often a lot of Surrey boys were capped without setting either the county game or the world stage subsequently on fire. Alex Tudor was one from memory… he was in and out of the England teams, picked, played, dropped, picked, played, dropped.

Looked up dernbach to see was he as bad as I remember, and to be fair he was worse, a rabbit who averaged under 10 in every format, and less than 3 in ODIs. Economy rate of 6.35 in ODIs and 8.49 in T20s, both international and domestic. That translates to conceding 170 in every T20 in a career which spanned 171 games. That's not even the best bit. Amazingly his final T20 international was for Italy against Germany, and he made 0*at number 11, and had bowling figures of 3-0-33-1. Astonishingly Germany defended 117 and won by a single run. Dernback bowled the 18th & 20th over and they went for 18, which included 8 leg byes, and 12. The 19th over went for 3. How did this dude play at the level he did? Crazy and incomprehensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Dernbach had many of the attributes needed to be fair. 90mph with decent slower balls. Might be more talented than the Currans but they dealt with the big moments a lot better. Tom Curran won a lot of games for England at the death. I remember him getting a great five for in the inaugural game at the new Perth stadium to ruin the party there.

Speaking of Perth, did anyone bother with the Pakistan test match there? Warner got a big hundred in his farewell tour and Pakistan were as hopeless as usual in Australia. India really deserve more praise for what they did there two series in a row. Australia might have won the one off WTC final between them but we know who the better team is.

England posted 267. In tonight’s T20I

then their bowlers come out now and are bowling absolute rubbish.

length balls in the slot just saying… ‘ here just hit me, wherever ‘…

some serious naive bowling….. that bad it’s even motivating Butler to have a chat which is rare…

English bowled out for 132 from 19.3. T20i 👀

some of the shots their batsmen got out to defied belief. Livingston played decently but played a shot that Gladstone Small would have been embarrassed to get out to. Bad stuff….

Rehan Ahmed ok he’s just gone 19, but he’s in the time he’s had so far as a cricket international, not exactly set the world alight.

Annoyingly NZ have no home test match until February. The 10pm start time is nice during Christmas. Australia Pakistan hasn't much going for it on the field or in the commentary box but it's a bit of a Christmas tradition to watch the first session.

India in South Africa boxing day should be good though. Virat Kohli left the squat for family reasons but is expected to be back in time. Elgar retiring after it, they will miss him when he's gone.

Tom Curran gets 4 games for this. ^^^

could and probably should have been double that… first of all disregarding the umpires instructions, secondly running at the umpire in such an aggressive manner…. Only a 4 game suspension ? Quite pathetic by the authorities….From Curran also, what kind of behaviour is that ? He’s 28, a professional sportsman… the fûck ?!

in other news NZ having their arse handed to them by Bangladesh.

NZ bowled out for 98 and Bangladesh making very easy work of the chase.

Tom curran should be banned for life for being a rubbish cricketer, in other stealing a living news, Chris Jordan has just taken 0/45 off 4 overs in a BBL match. Outstanding as usual

Tom curran, all rounder. Seen it all now

Australia vs Pakistan starts 11.30 pm our time in Melbourne…

the forecast suggests a rain interrupted first days play and then 4 days of good weather.

Pakistan looking to shift up a few performance gears after being absolutely annihilated in Perth..

their batsmen scored only 360 runs over both innings and their bowlers really were not too impressive.

Australia scored 720 runs over both their innings, double the Pakistani total and gave away 6 less wickets.. 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭MFPM

Loads of rain in Melbourne, match even enough with Aus 187/3.

Meanwhile Rabada is punishing India at Centurion, India 148/6.

• Advertisement

Guess I haven't been following India that closely lately, KL at number six? Just as well he is today but my memory of him as opener is that he did well. Especially that series in England. No way some of those above him are better batsmen than him.

Advertisement