Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

2 wickets to finish, shambles again from west indies, couldn't defend 374, and conceded 404 in 51 overs

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Windies almost certain not to qualify for the World Cup now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Then takes two wickets, didn’t do much in the 100 overs but certainly came alive in the super overs. 😳

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Windies probably thought they wouldn't need to show up in the fiele after hitting 370+, which would normally be a fair assumption

Great game between Sri Lanka and Netherlands, but think the Netherlands who were chasing 214 should have made it, bowled out with 10 overs left for 192, lost by 21, with Scott Edwards who is as Dutch as me left 66*

• Advertisement

West indies 3 down early on v scotland

Scotland beat Zimbabwe

Netherlands giving Scotland a taste of what they did to us in a T20 World Cup a few years back and chasing a decent total in a lower number of overs to get ahead on NRR and qualify

I see India are tearing the West Indies a new one in WI’s own backyard, Dominica.

West Indies bowled out for 150, India 312/2 so far in reply 😳

• Advertisement

WI now 50-4 ohhh well 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Trampas

I think West Indies players are only interested in getting into franchise t20. No interest in test cricket or even odi

59/5. Be a pity if that’s true… there is a colossal amount of history, prestige and indeed romance right throughout the history of the sport there. Lara, Ambrose, Walsh, Dujon, Lloyd, Sobers, Holding, Chanerpaul, Marshall….

wasn’t a long time ago that their test sides were feared…by everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭MFPM

India won at a canter, couldn't even call it a contest. WI didn't even get 300 across two innings. Athanaze top scored with 47 in the match for WI. The Indian openers scored 6 runs less in one innings than the entire WI team in the match 🙁

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Gillespy

They were similarly aggressive in the first test too. They are well on top so a lot of it could just be the gulf between the teams. Good to see others having a go, it will suit a lot of them I think going by how they go in white ball cricket.

India 351/5 (50)

West Indies 75/7 (21)

i think if we put a few runs on the board against them we may have a chance. As brilliant a side as India are that’s a shockingly poor chase, especially considering it’s on West Indian soil in Trinidad. 🫣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Seems increasingly likely that Ben Stokes will come out of retirement to return to England ODI side to take part in this autumn's 50 over World Cup.

I am very surprised after seeing him hobbling around for most of the year and his bowling has now been reduced to being an afterthought. Clearly he needs something done with his knee, but somehow he continues on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I would say that's a completely stupid idea... if it were anyone other than Ben Stokes. No better player for the biggest moments. He could still have an absolutely wretched tournament but I wouldn't put it past him to put in a big performance when it matters most.

Listening to the Wisden podcast they said it’s a type of tendonitis and it needs rest not surgery. Also interesting how they said how little he actually bowled in the 2019 World Cup so him not bowling is not as much of a loss as made out.

I thought he looked fine in the last few test matches when he didn’t bowl. Ran hard when batting and in the field. I said it before here that I do think he likes to put it on a bit sometimes, the exhaustion and the hobbling. One thing is for sure England are a much stronger team with him back.

• Advertisement

He might just get selected to bat ….

the hobbling has been noticeable alright.

Between all formats England have roughly between 25 and 30 fixtures that’s over all 3 formats between now and the new year.. depending on how far they go in the World Cup… an awful lot of cricket in a short period of time.

wonder is McCullum the sort of guy to make a tough decision for Ben or would he have enough sway…im not sure he would..

I'm a bit surprised he's agreed to go back, but as you say, perhaps his bowling days are firmly behind him, and he plays as a batter. I suspect they'll play him in a couple of games but keep him for semi and final should they get that far, I think there may be a similar situation evolving with Jofra Archer.

Stokes he didn’t bowl much in the Ashes, I think if my memory is about right it was less then 50 overs across the 5 tests…he got injured in the IPL late April about 3 weeks before the first ball of the Ashes. He was obviously carrying that injury coming into the series…

I agree about Archer… he’s another globetrotter… one of the worst. Only gone 28 and he got that bad elbow problem only after he made his England debut, in early 2020. Needed surgery there. Multiple more surgeries and a stress fracture in his back had Archer to play only 27 of England's 136 matches across formats since the beginning of 2020 im reading….

yet over in the IPL he’s been clocked bowling 95 mph…

conflict of interest as the pinnacle for every up and coming cricketer is now IPL and franchise cricket. 💶🤌🏻

Ben Stokes contract in IPL is or has been reported as $2.3 million. That’s just for this year.

I’ve a feeling test cricket might be in trouble… how long before the greats of the game get to about 27, having had a ‘niggle’ or two and call test cricket a day… ? Was a time you’d jettison limited overs, now the opposite…

sacrifice your test career vs sacrificing hundreds of thousands of dollars IPL, and more….t20 competitions springing up in the US even attracting noted internationals now ffs….Aaron Finch, Mitch Marsh and Liam Plunkett have all had spells there… $$$$$$$

So Stokes is back as expected. Interesting that Archer hasn't been picked and perhaps more surprising Brook misses out. I think they can have a three man stand by group so perhaps they may be on that.

Brook is in the T20 squad. I suppose it’s about seeing as many players as possible. If it’s about his relatively poor IPL, Malan shouldn’t be in the squad either. Back Brook to get more runs than Jason Roy. Willey is another odd one. He’s a brilliant opening bowler but nothing in the middle or death. That Gus Atkinson is an exciting pick.

UAE tore the NZ lads a new one….

NZ 142/8 (20)

vs

UAE 144/3 (15.3)

7 wicket victory with 27 deliveries remaining…. Jeeez

Heath Streak reported dead this morning and then apparently not. I also slated cricinfo, but maybe they has nothing up because hes still alive, ill leave up what i said anyway.Cricinfo has nothing about it but they would have 3 pages reporting that virat kohli had a ****, that's a joke website, I wonder who's winning the T10 match between the tamil tigers and the viskhapattnam superstars? Should just rename it indiancricinfo.com with the ashes covered from time to time

Now reporting he's not dead at all, Henry Olonga said he was, I know he's in treatment in South Africa for colon cancer, and probably very ill, but he's been written off early, poor fella, I'm off to cricinfo.com to see who's winning between Romania and Malta

N/A posted in error

• Advertisement

England beat NZ at a canter, poor batting performance by NZ...England 2-0 in the series.

Advertisement