Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I remain staunch FF

Options
  • 26-05-2010 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Its two years now since the economy began to collapse around our ankles. The property bubble burst as expected and the economy went in to recession as expected it would at some stage. At that moment what we didnt know was the extent of the problems at the banks.Two years of economic, political and social upheaval but it looks as if there is light at the end of the tunnel. There are people who want to smash that light but their political agenda is easily read and they will not succeed..
    I want a change of government because its wrong to have a one party State, FF have gone stale and because FF have been at fault in too many areas. However, when I look to my left I see Labour and a concoction of extremists whose economic policies revolve around TAX AND SPEND. Look to my right and I see Fine Gael who have economic policies of NO TAX AND NO SPEND. Economically, politically and socially the Left and Right are so far apart the thoughts of them in government together is terrifying..
    I have read and listened to all the attacks of FF and they are being repeated ad nauseum. Life is about words like balance, equilibrium, negotiation, compromise, hope, optimism, solutions, confidence and more. I see nothing coming from the Left or Right that will resolve the problems facing this country and under the circumstances I remain staunch FF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

scr123 wrote: »
    Its two years now since the economy began to collapse around our ankles. The property bubble burst as expected and the economy went in to recession as expected it would at some stage.

wait a minute

i thought Fianna Fail expected a "soft landing" :rolleyes:

and werent yee lot saying "its never been a better time to buy" as late as 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

So OP, you don't see any coalition between FG and Labour working. Did you think PD/FF or Green/ff would work?In my opinion the others have to be given a chance 'cause FF led coalitions of the past have raped us and some of their supporters like your good self seem to be in denial by blaming others on trying to destroy confidence. As a crooked man once said when speaking of the doom and gloomers who got it so right "WHY DON'T THEY ALL GO AND COMMIT SUICIDE" or words to that effect. They made a bolllocks of it and continue to make a bolllocks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Where this thread is going to go..........

10r02s6.jpg

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Its two years now since the economy began to collapse around our ankles. The property bubble burst as expected and the economy went in to recession as expected it would at some stage. At that moment what we didnt know was the extent of the problems at the banks.Two years of economic, political and social upheaval but it looks as if there is light at the end of the tunnel. There are people who want to smash that light but their political agenda is easily read and they will not succeed..
    I want a change of government because its wrong to have a one party State, FF have gone stale and because FF have been at fault in too many areas. However, when I look to my left I see Labour and a concoction of extremists whose economic policies revolve around TAX AND SPEND. Look to my right and I see Fine Gael who have economic policies of NO TAX AND NO SPEND. Economically, politically and socially the Left and Right are so far apart the thoughts of them in government together is terrifying..
    I have read and listened to all the attacks of FF and they are being repeated ad nauseum. Life is about words like balance, equilibrium, negotiation, compromise, hope, optimism, solutions, confidence and more. I see nothing coming from the Left or Right that will resolve the problems facing this country and under the circumstances I remain staunch FF

You’ve summed up in one post a lot of what’s wrong with this country politically. Neither the parties, nor many of the electorate have any ideas.

Unfortunately, the only parties with any chance of forming the next government are FG, FF and Labour.

I shan’t ever vote FF, I don’t think I need to get into exactly what they have done and continue to do to this country.

I’ll never vote Labour. More likely to vote FF to be honest.

Fine Gael are the lesser of three evils as far as I’m concerned, and I’ve a lot of time for Richard Bruton, so I’ll probably vote for them.
    I just wish there was a viable, centre-left party in this country. Sensible, balanced economic policies, and liberal social ideas.

Unfortunately, I fear there are enough people who think like you to bring FF back into power within the next 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

good for you.

FF shower of spineless ****s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

what is the point in being staunch anything thats just silliness, just vote in the people you think will do the best job, feck their political party, I myself just dislike hearing people moan about partys and talk about why ''theirs'' is so great, you'd sewar it was football somtimes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

under the circumstances I remain staunch FF

hilarious really.......so Labour = Tax and spend....FG = NO Tax and no spend

both of these are an issue to you so you will stay with FF

what exactly do they equate to then? based on the above

FF = No tax and spend (which is what got us into this mess)

or

FF = Tax and no spend ( which is what they might have to do to sort out the mess they made)

hardly an attractive future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Fair enough, but that's not a good reason to keep voting FF.
    If everyone went through life like that, nothing would ever change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Riskymove wrote: »
    hilarious really.......so Labour = Tax and spend....FG = NO Tax and no spend

both of these are an issue to you so you will stay with FF

what exactly do they equate to then? based on the above

FF = No tax and spend (which is what got us into this mess)

or

FF = Tax and no spend ( which is what they might have to do to sort out the mess they made)

hardly an attractive future

You see FF are some tax and some spend, some spend is good if you have a shed that can hold voting machines, design a sh1te payrolls sytem or if you're a glorified plasterer who masqqeraded as a developer at The Galway Races.

• Advertisement

dan_d wrote: »
    Fair enough, but that's not a good reason to keep voting FF.
    If everyone went through life like that, nothing would ever change.

I know, imagine if a whole country acted like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I have a question,Since it was expected shouldn't the plan been put in to effect to try avoid the amount of damage done.And shouldn't our taoiseach and finance minister have spoke to the people?

I see no loyalty or connection with Fianna fail and the people.And you have to face it unless you are Fianna fail Td or their family and the bankers and developers,they don't care what effect it had on the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

You're right, all those moaning begrudgers - the should just go off an commit suicide ...

fontanalis wrote: »

But they did in last one,imo.

caseyann wrote: »

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhh

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhh

Was that a comment:confused:

Was that a comment:confused:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssss

(I have a stutter)

When you can explain to me what your attempt at a comment means.Get back to me will you thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Life is about words like balance, equilibrium, negotiation, compromise, hope, optimism, solutions, confidence and more.

Ooh, buzzwords - like "turning a corner" and "moving forward". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

We got the Government and politicians we deserve...teachers, auctioneers and country solicitors.

We are a country of gombeens and that is exactly what we have in charge.

No surprise.

• Advertisement

[whispering voice] I was being sarcastic, you know how irish people vote based on cronyism and because the candidate gave their grandfather a reach around one time [whispering voice]

Sulmac wrote: »
    Ooh, buzzwords - like "turning a corner" and "moving forward". :D

They just forgot paradigm, and David Brents People verus Happiness graph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

fontanalis wrote: »
    It would be terrible wouldn't it???
    Oh hang on a second....!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I have a question,Since it was expected shouldn't the plan been put in to effect to try avoid the amount of damage done.And shouldn't our taoiseach and finance minister have spoke to the people?

They did speak to the people. They informed us the the EU Economists were 'mathematically challenged'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Personally I think that whatever the next government does wont make a blind bit of difference. By the time the next general election comes around FF will have led us way too far down the road to turn back.

Personally I am going to predict a very slim FF victory in the next general election. If things even get slightly better people will elect to stay the course as a change in government would rock the boat and damage the economy. (or so they would be led to believe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

A far left ideology is one thing, a far right is another. Somewhere in the middle is probably best. However, you fail to acknowledge one thing.

Fianna Fáil as a party are institutionally corrupt. A failed entity.

Now you can have a far left ideology, a far right ideology, or a centrist ideology, and it makes no difference whatsoever which ideology you have, if it is hijacked by a corrupt administration.

Personally, I would rather have an honest and accountable far left ideology, or an honest and accountable far right ideology, than a dishonest and clandestine all things to all men party. Fianna Fáil can NEVER, EVER be trusted with anything. They can promise me the sun, moon and stars, and it is all Grade A Premium Sh1te, with sugar on top. I wouldn't believe a word out of their mouths.

We had Haughey. We had Bertie. Now we have Cowen. Do you seriously expect me to believe after three generations of rot and corruption, that FF have anything different to offer me? Perhaps Fine Gael will be no better, I don't know. Perhaps Labour will also lead us to hell on a handcart.

All I know is that FF have proven themselves untrustworthy, and incapable of running this country honestly and openly, for it's people rather than themselves. To hell with them, I'll take my chances with the rest.

They did speak to the people. They informed us the the EU Economists were 'mathematically challenged'.

They didnt very often;) Wait wasnt that when already spiral of decay had begun? A bit late then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I have to say I agree to some extent with the OP, although I am not staunchly FF or anybody else. It is tempting to wish for a speedy end to the never-ending presence of FF in government (which isn’t good for democracy, crisis or no crisis). But it is worth contemplating, unpalatable as it is to do, that we could have a worse government.

I don’t accept the OP’s proposition that FG and Labour couldn’t work effectively together. The risk after the next GE is that we will have FG + Labour plus possibly a few more diverse components pitching in to form the next government. And such an unstable government would IMO be worse than the government we currently have for the times we are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

lugha wrote: »
    But it is worth contemplating, unpalatable as it is to do, that we could have a worse government.

VERY hard to imagine, given FF's track record.
    I don’t accept the OP’s proposition that FG and Labour couldn’t work effectively together. The risk after the next GE is that we will have FG + Labour plus possibly a few more diverse components pitching in to form the next government. And such an unstable government would IMO be worse than the government we currently have for the times we are in.

I agree with the first part, given that The Greens swore blind that they wouldn't go in with FF, and given their outright objection to Tara and Shannon. So if they can overcome those, then I don't see why FG & Labour couldn't work together.

However the last sentence I'd disagree with; personally, I'd prefer an "unstable" Government than a corrupt and incompetent one, and that "instability" might just encourage them to work openly and transparently in the best interests of the country, in order to avoid becoming even less stable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

I have to say I agree to some extent with the OP, although I am not staunchly FF or anybody else. It is tempting to wish for a speedy end to the never-ending presence of FF in government (which isn’t good for democracy, crisis or no crisis). But it is worth contemplating, unpalatable as it is to do, that we could have a worse government.

Nonsense, stability means nothing if it is undemocratic, little more than politicians desperately holding onto power while pushing through unpopular policies which will destroy the country for decades to come in order to keep their buddies sitting pretty.
    A dictatorship would be far more stable altogether, I say we have one of those. Dibs on being Dictator.

Advertisement