Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Military Photos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

ChityWest wrote:
    Here are a couple I took:

Irish Rangers at the 1916 Comemoration Parade 2006

Irish_Rangers_IV_by_zwanzig.jpg

English navy in the solent (loading craft in front of ark royal I think)

Navy_boats_by_zwanzig.jpg

Hi, I was wondering if you have any other photos of the Comemoration Parade? I wouldnt mind seeing more of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I can't see those photos, maybe its just me.

BTW there is another thread currently with Easter Parade photos http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054951603

NMM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Thats odd - I can see them logged in or not. There are more Irish Rangers ones on page 2 of my gallery here :

http://zwanzig.deviantart.com/gallery/

I also have some navy ones that I put together to mail to a navy person who was at the parade - is there any particular unit/part of the parade you are looking for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Excellent pics mikeanywhere ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Thanks guys,

I was pretty pleased with them. Cant wait for Farnborough Air Show to get some serious military machines to take pics of. Once I have them sorted I'll post away.

My favourite has to be the F-16's as the co-pilot in the lead craft is waving to the crowd. I only saw that after cropping the size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

babybundy wrote:
    if you look back by the trusters you while see no turbulance in the grass

The plane is on the ground, the wheels have been photoshopped out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

testicle wrote:
    The plane is on the ground, the wheels have been photoshopped out.
    thats wat i am highlighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

you probably dont know but my knees go week at the sight of a good U boat . Here is U118

uboat20u1181b.jpg

uboat20u1182b.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

1nageurscombat8cv.jpg

77jn.jpg

av8brefueling7mc.jpg

F4 formation
    f4formation8wh.jpg

Fat Albert
    fatalbert0qh.jpg

flyingtank7ek.jpg

French Panther
    frenchpanther7fj.jpg

operationswarmer8br.jpg

Sand Storm
    runwaysandstorm5tk.jpg

sb906fr.jpg

twoatatime4nk.jpg

USS Connecticut at the North Pole
    ussconnecticutatthenorthpole5w.jpg

yf238wk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Dub13 wrote:
    flyingtank7ek.jpg

French Panther
    How do you say "YEEHAA!" in French?

Le Yeehaa...*

*may not be true ;)

NMM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

babybundy wrote:
    if you look back by the trusters you while see no turbulance in the grass

thing is if you look at the back you can also see the puff of air coming off the back of the plane. so i guess there are fights for and against.

_41910026_dipeight.jpg

This is the taiwan air force dropping anti-missile flares for a display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

whupass wrote:
    thing is if you look at the back you can also see the puff of air coming off the back of the plane. so i guess there are fights for and against.

Even when taxing on the ground the engines are running, how else would it move?

Rovi wrote:
    How do you say "YEEHAA!" in French?

That doesn't look like a french tank more like an israeli MerkavaMk1

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/merkava/MerkavaMk1.html

• Advertisement

Fair enough, the picture was originally captioned as a 'French Panther, but I defer to your superior knowledge.

So, does anyone know how do you say: "YEEHAA!" in Hebrew?

I could be wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

Even when taxing on the ground the engines are running, how else would it move?

i know the engines are on but what i meant was there is a litle "whisp" of air coming of the back of the plane, not from the engines, but like the trail left by a plane in the air when you look up there is a long line of white after it, this is the sort if thing coming of the end of the fuselage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Some photos from the USS Intrepid in New York, a decommissioned carrier now a very nice museum. I will hopefully get some more up of Ellington Air force base down here in Houston. I plan on going tomorrow maybe if the weather gets better.

IM000041.jpg

IM000043.jpg

IM000051.jpg

IM000050.jpg

IM000056.jpg

IM000057.jpg

IM000055.jpg

IM000036.jpg

IM000053.jpg

IM000054.jpg

IM000058.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

whupass wrote:
    i know the engines are on but what i meant was there is a litle "whisp" of air coming of the back of the plane, not from the engines, but like the trail left by a plane in the air when you look up there is a long line of white after it, this is the sort if thing coming of the end of the fuselage
    the angle of flight is wrong as well its too level

• Advertisement

whupass wrote:

True. But in other photos in this thread that wisp is originating from the engines and not the tail of tail, it could just be the angle we're looking at. If you think about it hes very far off centerline aswell. Like you say who knows. The lack of blur is what makes it looks fake to me. But then maybe with a very fast camera.

There are lots of good pictures here

http://www4.army.mil/yearinphotos/2005/images.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

I concur. Also the Israelis are always using the V (either upside down or on its side). The French would never use such a symbol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

my father and my uncle on the set of "The Blue Max" (1966)

i've e-mailed the guy who took the photo and given him the url for this forum. he has many more photos from the movie.
    i can't remember which regiment my father and uncle were in. they were FCA, if memory serves.
    anyone here around 40 years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Good one JuleP. Blue Max was a pretty good movie, shame about the German soldiers with No4 LE's though :rolleyes:, but then I guess the Irish army was a good one to use as extras...

Picture119-rs.jpg

....because they already looked like Germans :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

LMAO. that first guy certainly does look like your typical sausage eating, beer drinking German.

they actually played both sides in that movie, but then again, there is some german ancestry with the english. :D

I suspect that they are just regular PDF during the Emergency. Look at the collar badges and buttons. The Irish Army did use German helmets. There is a well known picture of them wearing coal scuttle helmets in an old Irish History book (Leaving Cert level early 70's). I can't remember the name name but it had a green hard cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

If you're into those kind of pictures you should have a look at the following site:
    http://www.militaryphotos.net/

E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hagar wrote:
    I suspect that they are just regular PDF during the Emergency. Look at the collar badges and buttons. The Irish Army did use German helmets. There is a well known picture of them wearing coal scuttle helmets in an old Irish History book (Leaving Cert level early 70's). I can't remember the name name but it had a green hard cover.

Thats right Hagar, 1927 pattern helmet made by Vickers in the UK for the Irish Army, they were used up to early WW2 but were replaced with the British 'Brodie' helmet, as they looked a bit too German :p

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

AH-64 Apache

Dont Know Why, but I love this pic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

these are probably photo-shopped but they appeal to my strange sense of humour. Allegedly a marine squadron serving in the middle east somewhere....
    my.php?image=marines1kh3.png
    my.php?image=marines2mh0.png
    my.php?image=marines3kw7.png
    my.php?image=marines4ll5.png

And can someone tell me how to display these instead of linking them!!!??? :o

gatecrash wrote:

You are looking for the Direct link on ImageShack it should be the last one,copy this.Now on boards when you want that photo on a post you need to click on the Insert Image tab,its the 5th one from the right.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Dub13 wrote:
    You are looking for the Direct link on ImageShack it should be the last one,copy this.Now on boards when you want that photo on a post you need to click on the Insert Image tab,its the 5th one from the right.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Moi..

Haddatha, South Lebanon. 88th bn 2000-2001.

(Hill 880).

Just rushing out the door. But I've a stack load more of abandoned IDF/SLA tanks etc on my HD somewhere which I can throw up here if anyone's interested.

I'd be interested, please put up a couple.

So would I.

This is a B&W photo of me in a SISU APC on the Israeli/Lebanon border. On post UN 6.50 We nicknamed it 'Break for the border' as it was put up right after the IDF withdrawal from Sth Lebanon.

When they withdrew the Ukrainian anti-mine teams came in with mine ploughs and literally ploughed a road right to the border, where we set up a post... Hense 'Break for the border'!!..

This is an abandoned SLA T55 MBT in outside Bint Jabail (Lebanon). It was abandoned, then stripped of parts with the IDF withdrew in March 2000.

First flight of the F-35 on Dumpalink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

gatecrash wrote:
    these are probably photo-shopped but they appeal to my strange sense of humour. Allegedly a marine squadron serving in the middle east somewhere....
    my.php?image=marines1kh3.png
    my.php?image=marines2mh0.png
    my.php?image=marines3kw7.png
    my.php?image=marines4ll5.png

Those pictures are Genuine as the OP who took those is a regular poster on ukar.co.uk and said they are Genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Cash

It's a very interesting collection of photos being compiled here but let me say I think it's a bit one-sided to post just the glorified images of the machinery blasting out their amunitions without showing any pics of - or making any comments about - the results of same, as everyone knows it's mostly innocent civilians who get butchered in any military wars by these very machines we're looking at....
    Just to make the point which I think is totally relevant to make in this thread, while posting a photo of my own ex-military vehicle; a Russian made truck which I use for peaceful excercises - I think she's much happier now with me!:)
    For all you military vehicle aficionados, this is a Gaz-66 4x4 V8 4.2 litre multifuel truck. It was used by the Czech military and only released in November 2006, used as a Radio comms unit or probably part of one with usually three such trucks forming the Radio unit. All the radio gear is gone from the truck but still has in the back its electricity power units and heating and air conditioning system. Great off-road camper / mobile workshop.
    GazJims.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭greg678

Cash - You dont mind me asking where you got that baby from, do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

314507009c17e9967f0otc6.jpg
    314507341b5ac312729ohi6.jpg
    314508054827457b797oah9.jpg
    314858371d20bb7f973omg9.jpg
    31485886568c2998b1dooa7.jpg
    317487060be9cbac493ofx1.jpg
    3174871583114610f9boyw5.jpg
    aa18milmi28of6.jpg
    ah1cobramissile2ca6.jpg
    ah1wsupercobracv7.jpg
    airka50blacksharklgtu7.jpg
    bqwufuhelicw15xf3xjqnr5.jpg
    bs1q4z5kqmiyjpejfg8rahb3.jpg
    cobra3ne0.jpg
    farpteamloadingah1wnp8.jpg

fx1x2ooh8k3uqp02xseanj3.jpg
    h5lbdxkned5obhqkg3ckwkd3.jpg
    jzl5ioskhbxgfoek7kdsqit1.jpg
    ka5010xa6.jpg
    ka50blacksharkfs9.jpg
    ka50kj8.jpg
    ka5006ia3.jpg
    ka50hokumxn9.jpg
    kzuzvjvpz8tftbiqyxtzwfw6.jpg
    m1a1abramswr9.jpg
    maks2005d1258bt2.jpg
    mi2811wa8.jpg
    mi28640mn8.jpg
    mi28cf7.jpg
    myic1hjsf9ujhbyjxxqwyf6.jpg

planef117stealth01em2.jpg
    roasyy6nzpq9o03soremqvn4.jpg
    t90ha1.jpg
    yvbabesf02s6dlpetq8afk2.jpg
    6mi24hindmilitaryaviatizg2.jpg
    6ir3powcyoorpuuiqwvladi5.jpg
    20bfl6.jpg
    97ityjz7hqx5qkgxc8gcayr7.jpg
    31194246035131b8288ooq8.jpg
    311943029e5507b2c44ogo9.jpg
    311955960f1d13322f7oxw3.jpg
    3119599895784c124abozt0.jpg
    3145068509ae818ee1bohu5.jpg

Uploaded with ShellUploader.

• Advertisement

WOW!
    Some spectacular pictures there, CyberGhost, thanks for sharing them.

But...

...would it be extraordinarily rude of me to suggest that you might use ImageShack's thumbnail + size/resolution bar facility to display them in the thread?
    The whole lot come to 6.2MB, which is a heavy old load for people in non-broadbandland.

Once again: amazing pictures! :)

lol no it would not be rude, tbh, the reason I posted full pictures was because of the broadband, I thought almost everyone has them nowadays so why make people click when I can post a full picture.

Anyways, if more people request it, I'll repost them in thumbnails. No problems.

Dub13 wrote:
    flyingtank7ek.jpg

Thats an Israeli Merkava MBT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

CyberGhost wrote:
    lol no it would not be rude, tbh, the reason I posted full pictures was because of the broadband, I thought almost everyone has them nowadays so why make people click when I can post a full picture.

Anyways, if more people request it, I'll repost them in thumbnails. No problems.

Because it screws the layout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

this is a nice edited pic:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement