Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Photos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Poccington wrote: »
    Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    I'm thinking the driver is possibly ARW but the passo ain't, cud be wrong as always but just my 2 cents... didn't they get some of those spanish hummer knock offs not too long ago to replace the ford F350 pickups that were taken out of service cos of lack of roll protection (accidents while on overseas missions)...

The vehicle accident was a Land Rover that overturned in Liberia, resulting in the death of an ARW member.

It was before they bought the Ford's, which are still in service.

The URO was here on test a number of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I'm thinking the driver is possibly ARW but the passo ain't, cud be wrong as always but just my 2 cents... didn't they get some of those spanish hummer knock offs not too long ago to replace the ford F350 pickups that were taken out of service cos of lack of roll protection (accidents while on overseas missions)...

No.
    There was NO accident involving Ford F350 Pickups overseas. The accident which you may mention happened in a Land Rover Wolf WMIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I didnt know we had any of these and found 2 out the back of Kilworth recently-

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Poccington wrote: »
    The vehicle accident was a Land Rover that overturned in Liberia, resulting in the death of an ARW member.

It was before they bought the Ford's, which are still in service.
    No.
    There was NO accident involving Ford F350 Pickups overseas. The accident which you may mention happened in a Land Rover Wolf WMIK.

Sorry I got my facts mixed up, so the accident was with the Land Rovers and because of that they switched to the Fords? Do they not use the RG-32Ms at all so?

Not sure how accurate this is but here is a supposed list of all vehicles used by the Irish Defence Forces and the amount of them in service...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_vehicles_of_the_Irish_Army

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Sorry I got my facts mixed up, so the accident was with the Land Rovers and because of that they switched to the Fords? Do they not use the RG-32Ms at all so?

Not sure how accurate this is but here is a supposed list of all vehicles used by the Irish Defence Forces and the amount of them in service...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_vehicles_of_the_Irish_Army

Landies were only on Loan.
    Wiki is a ****e source
    The RG32M is not an SORV.

• Advertisement

Landies were only on Loan.
    Wiki is a ****e source
    The RG32M is not an SORV.

Ah ok, there was a better site I saw before ithad a lot more information like troops strengths, weapons used etc. but cudn't find it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Battle of the Bogside, Derry 1969.

7hreta.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

German soldiers on Jersey island, WW2.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-228-0326-34A%2C_Guernsey_-_Jersey%2C_Deutsche_Soldaten.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

whydave wrote: »
    Four Colombian female police officers show an assortment of tactical weapons during the 10th Regional Conference of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, in Medellin, Antioquia department, Colombia on June 4, 2012
    Link
    Female members of the Federal Police parade during a ceremony to celebrate National Police Day in Mexico, on June 2, 2012 in Mexico City.
    link
    Members of the Federal Police parade during a ceremony to celebrate National Police Day in Mexico, on June 2, 2012 in Mexico City.
    link
    A female police officer looks at a Ferrari painted with the colours and logo of the national police, being displayed during the 10th Regional Conference of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, in Medellin, Antioquia department, Colombia on June 4, 2012. The car was converted into an exhibition police car after it was seized from drug trafficker Hernando Gomez, A.K.A 'Rasguño', who was extradited to the U.S. where he is currently serving time.
    link
    A female !
    link

Were Tanks go to die !!!
    here

• Advertisement

Were Tanks go to die !!!
    here

What a waste, are they all scrap/unserviceable?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What a waste, are they all scrap/unserviceable?
    They are Russian tanks.

http://www.vincelewis.net/t34.html
    56 years at the bottom of a lake in a bog. Clean out the gunk, get a pair of jump leads and it started up :eek:

http://englishrussia.com/2006/09/17/russian-tank-recovered-from-the-lake-after-50-years-been-there/ - more videos

different one

They are Russian tanks.

Whats your point? they look like good tanks to me, would know more about them from the link but I can't read Russian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Whats your point? t...

You asked do they still work. His point was they are as tough as you dig one up after 60yrs and it will still work.

BostonB wrote: »
    You asked do they still work. His point was they are as tough as you dig one up after 60yrs and it will still work.

That was an old WW2 russian tank, I didn't see all the vids but I presume it was abandoned by its crew and left there... I'd only expect as much from any tank, their a sealed unit and the bogland probably helped preserve it too... that wasn't my point, I thought was he wasn't happy cos they were Russian tanks, being left in the open like and left to the elements can't be good for them but I was wondering if they were still in serviceable condition or are they beyond repair/reuse or just too outdated to use.

I don't know the full story behind them but if they cud still be used could they not be saved for troop training or something?

Well that was his point regardless if you aagree with it or not.

You can use a Russian to English translator on it.
    "Kharkov Armoured Repair Plant" specializes in the overhaul and modernization of the T-64, T 80, T-72 tank engines 5TDF and GTD-1250. The plant also produces a repair tank sights, laser range finders and a range of guided weapons. By the time of the collapse of the Soviet factory produced approximately 60 tanks, repairs and 55 engines per month.

I assume from reading that, that they basically went broke with the break up of the Soviet Union.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

more pics of the plant

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmeteo.livejournal.com%2F35006.html

hard to know if cheaper to build new ones or refurbish the old ones,
    turrets , weapons and electronics are the expensive bits

more pics of the plant

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmeteo.livejournal.com%2F35006.html

hard to know if cheaper to build new ones or refurbish the old ones,
    turrets , weapons and electronics are the expensive bits

I would think it would be cheaper to refurbish and upgrade tanks rather than try and design and build a new one. Sure don't the yanks just refurb old abrams tanks to keep them in service? If i'm not mistaken they actually don't produce any new tanks they just keep upgrading the old ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd like to post some pics but they seem to be too large. Do any of you have a good program/ method you use for resizing file sizes for photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

I'd like to post some pics but they seem to be too large. Do any of you have a good program/ method you use for resizing file sizes for photo?

Try gimp, it's basically photoshop but open source and free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Try Imgur, an image hosting site that let's you resize on upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

source wrote: »
    Try gimp, it's basically photoshop but open source and free.

Paint.net

A lot simpler than Gimp, and does all of your basic image editing with ease (and quality). Oh, and its completely free.

LLiMR.jpg
    A pic of a fun day awhile ago

h1Gy1.jpg
    Miss my truck

PDcLN.jpg
    Getting ready to head out

What kinda vehicle is that minigun mounted on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Looks like a Hummer from that angle, mounted coaxially to the .50

It's a GMV, HMMMV variant. Good truck, same one in the first 2 pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭twinytwo

It's a GMV, HMMMV variant. Good truck, same one in the first 2 pics.

does the mini gun have its own power supply?

It has a battery box that contains two 12v batteries. This is in turn slaved to the truck's power.

Enjoy
    An M1A1 Abrams tank with Alpha Company, 1st Tank Battalion, Regimental Combat Team 6, patrols through the desert north of the Kajaki Dam, May 31. The Marines supported Operation Branding Iron.
    Link
    An A-10 Thunderbolt II returns from a mission during Red Flag-Alaska 12-2 June 5, 2012, Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska. The A-10 has excellent maneuverability at low air speeds and altitude, and is a highly accurate and survivable weapons-delivery platform.
    Link
    RQ-4 Global Hawk on a flight line.
    Link

• Advertisement

Exercise Predator Strike 2012
    Link
    Link
    Link
    Link

The advance party from 3RAR Battle Group conducted a hand over/take over patrol with Mentoring Task Force – Four (MTF-4) in the Chora Valley. They patrolled to the District Governor’s compound and met with key leaders, visited Afghan National Police commanders and conducted a familiarisation patrol in the local area
    Link
    Link
    Link

Advertisement