Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Running Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I was meaning to ask you about that;

"How?
    Your current/recent/PB 10k time rounded to nearest minute
    Or
    Double your 5k time rounded to nearest minute.

Get them in this week! There will be a cut off"

Does this mean you need our 10k or 5k estimates this week in this thread? Or were you encouraging us to complete the January challenge this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

"How?
    Or

Does this mean you need our 10k or 5k estimates this week in this thread? Or were you encouraging us to complete the January challenge this week?

Both! Rounded estimates

I'll set up the February Challenge Thread this week and give a deadline to submit your estimate. After that, I will reveal the challenge. All submissions before the reveal will rank above those after, all to be inclusive and fair as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Updated table!

As I said everyone who participates gets at least 1 point. Next person to participate gets at least 3 points.

Also heads up on post #80 about February Challenge.

Pos|Runner|Result|Jan Pts
    1|Omeceron| -1sec|20
    1|BeginnerRunner| -1sec|20
    3|Unknown Unthought| -10sec|19
    4|shotgunmcos| +13sec|18
    5|Dudda| +17sec|17
    5|Kander| -24sec|16
    7|Murph_D| +24sec|16
    8|Annie get your Run| +26sec|15
    9|skyblue46| +43sec|14
    10|ReeReeG |-58sec|13
    11|Comic Book Guy| +59sec|12
    12|Laineyfrecks| -66sec|11
    13|Dubh Geannain| +79sec|10
    14|crisco10|-83sec|9
    15|jamule|-115sec|8
    16|Swashbuckler| -181sec|7
    17|dna_leri |+5sec|6
    18|Huzzah |+70sec|5
    19|Pheredykes |+254sec|4

As much as that position doesn't look too bad on the table I should be further down...another 60 secs to be added to mine!

As much as that position doesn't look too bad on the table I should be further down...another 60 secs to be added to mine!
    Aha thank you! Thats the spirit of the challenge :)

My mistake, I'll fix now :o

Edit: Now Swashbuckler will really have to have another go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

"How?
    Or

Id estimate my current 5k fitness to be roughly 17.50 maybe, which would give me 10k time of 36.
    But I'd estimate my current 10k fitness to be sub 37 but not sub 36.30 so that gives me 10k of 37.

Take your pick!

• Advertisement

Id estimate my current 5k fitness to be roughly 17.50 maybe, which would give me 10k time of 36.
    But I'd estimate my current 10k fitness to be sub 37 but not sub 36.30 so that gives me 10k of 37.

Take your pick!

37 it is. 10k first as default. double 5k if no 10k estimate (catering for new runners)

Thanks! You are in for February already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

37 it is. 10k first as default. double 5k if no 10k estimate (catering for new runners)

Thanks! You are in for February already!

I'm a bit confused about this one :D

My last 5k time (boards tt) is 29.04, I'm currently doing a training plan with a goal to run 10k in 60 mins (I have soooo much work to do to get back to 24.xx and 52.xx!!). What are we trying to achieve for this challenge?? BTW double your 5K is not your 10k time normally?

I'm a bit confused about this one :D

My last 5k time (boards tt) is 29.04, I'm currently doing a training plan with a goal to run 10k in 60 mins (I have soooo much work to do to get back to 24.xx and 52.xx!!). What are we trying to achieve for this challenge?? BTW double your 5K is not your 10k time normally?

So 29x2 rounded to nearest number is 58. I'll lock that in ;)

The challenge will be revealed next week, a few days after I set up the thread :) It will make simple sense then, promise

Sure double your 5k is not your 10k. 10k estimate is the preference but if you only have a 5k to go on or have only ever done 5k, I need to include everyone, thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

So 29x2 rounded to nearest number is 58. I'll lock that in ;)

The challenge will be revealed next week, a few days after I set up the thread :) It will make simple sense then, promise

Sure double your 5k is not your 10k. 10k estimate is the preference but if you only have a 5k to go on or have only ever done 5k, I need to include everyone, thats all.

Okay but there's no way I can run 10k in 58 mins right now so I hope that's not the goal!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good stuff, M. Put me in for 42.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Intrigued by what I might be getting myself into with the Feb challenge but I'll say 45.
    Hoping it goes well with a challenge my club have just set up also :)

Cool :D

So locked in for February

37 Swashbuckler
    58 AGYR
    42 Murph_D
    45 ReeReeG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

This is an intriguing way of doing it...:-)

My most recent 10km is from 2019 (38:38), most recent 5k is September (18:12). so number is either 39 or 36. Think I'll split the difference and say 37! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My fastest 5k from last year was 29:15, so put me in for 58.
    Thanks.

:confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Intriuged to say the least!

Stick me down for 44mins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Put me down for 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Jaysus. I dunno.

Strava says my best estimated 5k is 27 mins plus change based off easy training runs. Done 10k comfy in about 57/58 minutes at 70% HRR.

I fancy my chances of holding 5m 35s - 5m 40s over 10k if pushed a bit.

Soooo call it 55/56? You pick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Managed 1:00:41, not including a quick pit-stop - https://strava.app.link/hWsBdyzwmdb

Plan is to try again on Saturday.

For next month, put me down for 42. Ran 21:02 in November for 5k, although would hope to beat that now.

Great Stuff!

OK January table update with 5 days to go. And confirmed participants for February Challenge :D

January Challenge Table - we have 20 participants yay :)

Pos|Runner|Result|Jan Pts
    1|Omeceron| -1sec|20
    1|BeginnerRunner| -1sec|20
    3|Unknown Unthought| -10sec|19
    4|shotgunmcos| +13sec|18
    5|Dudda| +17sec|17
    6|Kander| -24sec|16
    6|Murph_D| +24sec|16
    8|Annie get your Run| +26sec|15
    9|mister paul| +41sec|14
    10|skyblue46| +43sec|13
    11|ReeReeG |-58sec|12
    12|Comic Book Guy| +59sec|11
    13|Dubh Geannain| +79sec|10
    14|crisco10|-83sec|9
    15|jamule|-115sec|8
    16|Laineyfrecks| -126sec|7
    17|Swashbuckler| -181sec|6
    18|dna_leri |+5sec|5
    19|Huzzah |+70sec|4
    20|Pheredykes |+254sec|3

Locked in for February
    37 Swashbuckler
    58 AGYR
    42 Murph_D
    45 ReeReeG
    39 shotgunmcos
    37 crisco10
    44 Laineyfrecks
    45 Omeceron
    58 Pheredykes
    55 BeginnerRunner
    42 mister paul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Edit: As an example
    If your recent 5k (Boards TT will do or more recent) was 17:17, your number is (2x 17:17) rounded to nearest number = 35

That's exactly my calculation :eek:

10k would be 37 for me though. It looks like the fashion is splitting the difference so is 36 right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Alright, I want in on both of these! It's the first time running has sounded fun in months. Thanks shotgun :)
    Going to try and get out for the January challenge in the next day or two. As for February, my last 10k was in June 2018 so I don't know if that's much use. It was 49:39 apparently. I'd get nowhere near that now though, all I'm doing is easy running and almost none of that! So I'm hoping the number means something very different for this challenge, or I'll need to change mine dramatically!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Stick me down for 40 mins 10k for February challenge, any course stipulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Stick me down for 39 min 10k M although I'm an awful long way from that shape right now!

Just a query on the table and I'm doing myself out of 2 points here but where 2 people get identical times and equal points should the next person up not get 2 points less than them instead of 1 as they are benefitting from the 2 better times being identical?
    Pedantic Pat I know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

My 10K PB is 56:42 (I think). Can I say 58 or something, though?

Stick me down for 39 min 10k M although I'm an awful long way from that shape right now!

Just a query on the table and I'm doing myself out of 2 points here but where 2 people get identical times and equal points should the next person up not get 2 points less than them instead of 1 as they are benefitting from the 2 better times being identical?
    Pedantic Pat I know!!

Thanks, thats how it would normally run in a points system, but I'm spreading the love :D So if we had 10 people with same top score they all get 20 pts. Next person gets 19 not 9! It makes it more interesting as the "league" develops, there will always be something to fight for :D

It is highly unlikely we will have draws next month ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

not going to lie, seeing the league table makes me want to try again this weekend.

That's exactly my calculation :eek:

10k would be 37 for me though. It looks like the fashion is splitting the difference so is 36 right?

Don't be a slave to fashion :D 37 it is, Swashbuckler is the same :pac:
    eyrie wrote: »
    Alright, I want in on both of these! It's the first time running has sounded fun in months. Thanks shotgun :)
    Going to try and get out for the January challenge in the next day or two. As for February, my last 10k was in June 2018 so I don't know if that's much use. It was 49:39 apparently. I'd get nowhere near that now though, all I'm doing is easy running and almost none of that! So I'm hoping the number means something very different for this challenge, or I'll need to change mine dramatically!

Welcome! And welcome back too! Make sure you get the January attempt in, Sunday is last chance. 50 is your number then, no worries :)
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Stick me down for 40 mins 10k for February challenge, any course stipulations?

Nope, you, particularly, might need to be creative :D

Pedantic Pat I know!!

Done, 39 it is!
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    My 10K PB is 56:42 (I think). Can I say 58 or something, though?

58 it is, thanks :)

crisco10 wrote: »
    not going to lie, seeing the league table makes me want to try again this weekend.

Might be a good decision ahead of Feb ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

crisco10 wrote: »

I'm 100% trying again this Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Updated standing

Not Validated
    dna_leri +5sec
    skyblue46 -7sec
    Huzzah +70sec
    Swashbuckler -183sec
    Pheredykes +254sec

Not uploading to Strava these days, below from Polar app.
    541028.jpg

Advertisement