Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I’m looking forward to the lads’ take on the Djokovic disqualification. The holier-than-thou style rules of tennis and golf are exactly the type of thing to send Ken off on a rant.

I still remember his rant about Steve Williams, Tiger's old caddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ken on Darren Randolph in his report on the Finland game:
    At one point in the Bulgaria game last Thursday, Randolph could be overheard micro-managing Shane Duffy after the centre-back had put the ball out of play and then picked it up. Randolph didn’t want Duffy to let Bulgaria make a quick restart. “Don’t give it back to him! Drop it, drop it!” he urged, like an unsporting manager in an under-8s game, except it was Ireland’s captain he was ordering about...At one point in the first half Finland strung together what seemed like about 150 passes, with Randolph sounding increasingly like someone having a meltdown in a zombie movie: “Check the shoulder! Keep them outside! KEEP THEM OUTSIDE! GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT!”

Genius:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

'He passed up the opportunity to meet Nelson Mandela to be fresh and ready for a David Beckham hairstyle unveiling'

Possibly Ken's best work yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Was looking forward to the Patriots segment when I saw it in the episode description, but that guy was ridiculously biased in his view of their past transgressions. Not a great listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Still Ill wrote: »
    Was looking forward to the Patriots segment when I saw it in the episode description, but that guy was ridiculously biased in his view of their past transgressions. Not a great listen.

He was shocking, absolutely 100% Pats fanboy. I thought I was hearing things when he said about the phone being destroyed every year. This despite we were all bombarded with the below story for a solid week barely a month back. He must have thought being an Irish pod he could bull**** them. Surely he'd have heard this himself? Pity Eoin didn't pull him on it.

https://www.insider.com/tom-brady-earns-25-million-per-year-uses-iphone-6-2020-8

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/08/buccaneers-tom-brady-iphone-6-jokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ken was left ruefully considering how badly he fell for the obvious Messi baloney. We all love him, but he can get too excited at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Still Ill wrote: »
    He was shocking, absolutely 100% Pats fanboy. I thought I was hearing things when he said about the phone being destroyed every year. This despite we were all bombarded with the below story for a solid week barely a month back. He must have thought being an Irish pod he could bull**** them. Surely he'd have heard this himself? Pity Eoin didn't pull him on it.

https://www.insider.com/tom-brady-earns-25-million-per-year-uses-iphone-6-2020-8

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/08/buccaneers-tom-brady-iphone-6-jokes

Saw these comments. Assumed it was over the top. Just listened now. That guy was painful. What I took from it is that Tom Brady is amazing. Bill Belichick is unreal. Robert Kraft should be a diplomat. The Patriots are world famous.

I nearly gave up right at the start when he said the Patriots are the biggest team, by far, in the area. I'm pretty confident that the Celtics and (in particular) the Red Sox would like to debate that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

dulpit wrote: »
    Saw these comments. Assumed it was over the top. Just listened now. That guy was painful. What I took from it is that Tom Brady is amazing. Bill Belichick is unreal. Robert Kraft should be a diplomat. The Patriots are world famous.

I nearly gave up right at the start when he said the Patriots are the biggest team, by far, in the area. I'm pretty confident that the Celtics and (in particular) the Red Sox would like to debate that.

I did a quick google last night to see were there any reviews of the book but couldn't find anything other than some interviews with the author. I'd love to read a review to see if there are discrepancies in his version of events. I'm not even particularly bothered about the Pats success and the stuff they got up to, I don't like them sure but I don't really care all that much about deflategate or spygate but he seemed to be totally re-writing history and basically saying it was all no big deal and the Pats are great.

I also can't believe any researcher/author would prefer written response to interview questions, surely you get less off the cuff remarks then and the respondant can ensure they say nothing incriminating. Which is what it sounds like Bill did for this book.

I also can't believe any researcher/author would prefer written response to interview questions, surely you get less off the cuff remarks then and the respondant can ensure they say nothing incriminating. Which is what it sounds like Bill did for this book.

Meant to say that too, it was like he was saying it was okay that he was pawned off, he prefered that.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Dion Fanning sneering his way through life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dion Fanning sneering his way through life.

Gone from Joe dot eye eee apparently, it'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

The rugby stuff yesterday was awfully boring (no surprise).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Gone from Joe dot eye eee apparently, it'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

Not too sound like captain hindsight, but I couldn't believe Dion went there in the first place.

Xavi6 wrote: »

I liked Ireland Unfiltered, pity it won't be back then.

Must be very recent is it? He did the Joe soccer show post Bulgaria but not Finland.

Dion does have a sneery attitude but he isn't the worst contributor they have on.

I listened to the rugby stuff yesterday - first time in a while. So dull, Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Arghus wrote: »
    Dion does have a sneery attitude but he isn't the worst contributor they have on.

I listened to the rugby stuff yesterday - first time in a while. So dull, Jesus Christ.

The rugby lads (and rugby as a whole) have disappeared up their own arse.

And I say this as someone for whom rugby is their favourite sport.

"learnings" "kpi's" and other corporate jargon has permeated into the rugby lexicon. i work in aviation leasing and ive noticed 4 ex internationals have been parachuted into the industry. Took me 20 years to get where they got post rugby careers. I didnt go to a private school or play for ireland i suppose.

If you look into LinkedIn pages of some old irish players you will see they are littered through high finance and the grand canal dock "set". This is their language.

Im not casting aspersions per se but they definitely represent a different cadre of society and they way they speak on the game is a reflection of this. Cater to the ABC 1's and don't upset anyone.

They are far removed from your Brian Kerrs and James McCleans. There is a smugness to the discourse on OTB, Second Captains, BBC . Everywhere

It's so apt that even on second captains they draft in their south of the liffey accented Simon Hick to wax lyrical with thornley about physicality. The nadir was reached when they referred to jack cartys frontal cortex and synapse performance.

All it needed was for some lads to drive by in a car shouting " rugby ****"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

TRANQUILLO wrote: »

"learnings" "kpi's" and other corporate jargon has permeated into the rugby lexicon. i work in aviation leasing and ive noticed 4 ex internationals have been parachuted into the industry. Took me 20 years to get where they got post rugby careers. I didnt go to a private school or play for ireland i suppose.

If you look into LinkedIn pages of some old irish players you will see they are littered through high finance and the grand canal dock "set". This is their language.

Im not casting aspersions per se but they definitely represent a different cadre of society and they way they speak on the game is a reflection of this. Cater to the ABC 1's and don't upset anyone.

They are far removed from your Brian Kerrs and James McCleans. There is a smugness to the discourse on OTB, Second Captains, BBC . Everywhere

It's so apt that even on second captains they draft in their south of the liffey accented Simon Hick to wax lyrical with thornley about physicality. The nadir was reached when they referred to jack cartys frontal cortex and synapse performance.

You most certainly are.

Jim Root wrote: »
    You most certainly are.

i told ya i wazint b4 i sed it

****ing hell, I'd manage to bury that deep in the recesses of my brain. Thanks for reminding me!

If I could thank your post umpteen times, I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Loved Ken's Mitchell & Webb-esque "Who will get to wear the white shirts in that one? tune in to find out!" when Eoin mentioned Premier Sports would be showing Leeds/Fulham this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Ken on arseblog this week. Always enjoyable because he is so relaxed with Andrew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Ken on arseblog this week. Always enjoyable because he is so relaxed with Andrew.

Cheers for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

DukeCaboom wrote: »

525999.jpg

Ken channeling his inner Pádraig Pearse on yesterday’s show.

Really enjoyed the show yesterday! A lot of fun and the TDF stuff was interesting too

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Fast forwarded through trimby and shaggy today Jesus what a dose. The rugby segments are awful these days as said earlier in the thread. Snooze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

unplayable wrote: »
    Fast forwarded through trimby and shaggy today Jesus what a dose. The rugby segments are awful these days as said earlier in the thread. Snooze

Horgan is completely overused by them on the rugby. He's very often the only pundit they use. At least on the football they have maybe a dozen different contributors that they use semi-regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Horgan is completely overused by them on the rugby. He's very often the only pundit they use. At least on the football they have maybe a dozen different contributors that they use semi-regularly.

Very hard pay someone else when he's doing it for free!

I think the issue with the rugby is they talk about the gameplay, rather than the bigger picture. So it's technical in nature and a right snooze. Whereas their soccerball coverage is more wider picture focused, which is more interesting. Especially when covering a game from a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Bit of a non sequitur but I looked up Cantona’s goal against Wimbledon in 1996 after one of the lads compared Mo Salah’s goal and celebration against Leeds to it. Worth looking up because it’s a really brilliant comparison. There’s a beautiful arrogance to both strikes that’s very similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

the only interesting rugby pundit I find is Andy Dunne... He actually tends to hold contrary opinions and communicates them well without being an arse... Refreshing to step back from a lot of the group think hero worship crap that makes up the rest of the rugby coverage

unfortunately he's mostly found contributing to Newstalk..

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    the only interesting rugby pundit I find is Andy Dunne... He actually tends to hold contrary opinions and communicates them well without being an arse... Refreshing to step back from a lot of the group think hero worship crap that makes up the rest of the rugby coverage

unfortunately he's mostly found contributing to Newstalk..

Have you seen that sycophant Kinsella on twitter. He's the worst of the lot.
    Complete and utter fanboy.

Interesting chat about John Delaney yesterday but I'd be lying if I said my main take away wasn't that Mark Tighe pronounces it Packie Boner.

Interesting chat about John Delaney yesterday but I'd be lying if I said my main take away wasn't that Mark Tighe pronounces it Packie Boner.

I think that's actually the way Packie pronounces it himself. The Donegal pronounciation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That's so true about the rugby coverage. I said something similar last year:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111540046&postcount=8489

If they had Ken talking about the rugby coach/player drama rather than the tactical minutia of every single position I'd be sure to tune in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We need a rugby version of Ken to call out the bullshít.

Scrap the cap!

I think if you can call out bullshít you won't work in Rugby punditry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

Murph really annoyed me yesterday or maybe it was the day before. Ken was talking about Michael Collins when they were talking about Doherty or Dockerty. Ken was about to start talking about something completely ridiculous about being down by the statue or something and Murph just had to interject and talk over him. Murphs point was right but whatever, it's entertainment and that's what Ken provides. I want to know what the statue ****e talk was. :(

Raoul wrote: »
    Murph really annoyed me yesterday or maybe it was the day before. Ken was talking about Michael Collins when they were talking about Doherty or Dockerty. Ken was about to start talking about something completely ridiculous about being down by the statue or something and Murph just had to interject and talk over him. Murphs point was right but whatever, it's entertainment and that's what Ken provides. I want to know what the statue ****e talk was. :(

Email them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Raoul wrote: »

Your wrong, Murph had started talking and ken interjected him! Murph simply followed through and let ken at it. It was 14.30 onwards of Fridays pod btw.

Now i was more interested in hearing Ken but it wasn't murph who interjected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

Beersmith wrote: »
    Your wrong, Murph had started talking and ken interjected him! Murph simply followed through and let ken at it. It was 14.30 onwards of Fridays pod btw.

Now i was more interested in hearing Ken but it wasn't murph who interjected.

Maybe my post looked a little bit more serious than it was. Sorry ha. It was a little bit in jest.

I wonder if Giles and Dunphy will stfu about their "football men" shít after Mark Tighes book? Dunphy supported Delaney until very late in day, turns out the cost to buy Dunphy is a few Manchester United tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We always knew Dunphy was a hoor, the question was, how much!

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ken Burley was the greatest ever rugby pundit.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I wonder if Giles and Dunphy will stfu about their "football men" shít after Mark Tighes book? Dunphy supported Delaney until very late in day, turns out the cost to buy Dunphy is a few Manchester United tickets.

I'm also reading the book at the moment.

Even though I think I know the whole sorry story pretty well, there's still details on most pages that just make me say, "Jesus Christ".

Random sample: The final bill for Delaney's 50th birthday was 80,000 Euro - including 3,609 Euro for helicopters to ferry guests...that were never used.

• Advertisement

Just as an aside, as I wouldn't know where else too ask, how long would it normally be before an audio book version would come out for a new release?

I'm also reading the book at the moment.

Even though I think I know the whole sorry story pretty well, there's still details on most pages that just make me say, "Jesus Christ".

Random sample: The final bill for Delaney's 50th birthday was 80,000 Euro - including 3,609 Euro for helicopters to ferry guests...that were never used.

The crazy bit is that even though he expensed everything, clothes, food, rent, travel etc he still needs to take out €10k a year in cash with the credit card. I'd struggle to spend it. And his girlfriend dumped him when the money started to dry up too.

Just as an aside, as I wouldn't know where else too ask, how long would it normally be before an audio book version would come out for a new release?

Have they said for sure that there will be an audio book? There wouldn't be much of audience outside of Ireland so the publishers mightn't feel it was worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BikeRacer

Have they said for sure that there will be an audio book? There wouldn't be much of audience outside of Ireland so the publishers mightn't feel it was worth the effort.

https://twitter.com/marktigheST/status/1305233034422226945

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭happydude742

Dunphy is a survivor. He will support whatever way the wind is blowing next..... entertaining man but complete blow bag.

• Advertisement
Advertisement