Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

I’ve never once said Mayo had no wrongdoing, I don’t agree with Aidan O’Shea entering the pitch at all. He left himself down there. Where I’m from is none of your business and has nothing to do with the posts. Maybe you can learn some humility with this loss now and move on. Sour grapes and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Still not seeing anything malicious in that tackle. McLaughlin was mid turn when he got hit and the impact spun him around into the shoulder. Look, on another day that could have been a red but it's one of those incidents that happen in the sport from time to time where the initial impact looks fine but due to a player turning or ducking it can lead to a nasty injury. I wish the lad a speedy recovery.

All this talk to thuggery and Dublin being sore losers just boils down to being childish petulance.

I don't hold much stock in the guff being posted here and for the genuine Mayo supporters here's hoping ya bet that other shower in the final.

Interestingly enough, you can clearly see Horan telling the ref to fook off. Didn't Costello get the line last year for something similar?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Coming from an expert such as yourself on bias and sounding foolish I have duly noted your concerns and will reflect on the matter.

Yes O'Shea shouldn't have done that.

But John Small for sure was out of control.

Punched O'Donoghue in the face not long after McLaughlin was stretchered off

And to go back to the McLaughlin incident Small was lining him up from a distance back so had plenty of time to see that McLaughlin was unsighted in a sort of "hospital pass" scenario and the actions ensured that was the result.

It only takes 0.12 of a second or 120 milliseconds for the brain to have time to make a decision after the image has been seen with the eye

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Small lost the plot completely tbf as did mccarthy.

small had two red card incidents so very lucky to stay on the pitch

• Advertisement

First up, I don't think the ref would have made him retake it if he scored it.

Second, I'd say there was at least 2 maybe 3 occasions where O'Shea ran on to the pitch after he was taken off. All of which were completely glossed over by the commentors and officials. Sure, he was showing great pashun, standing up for his teammates blah blah blah.

But, look, aggression is only to be praised when it's the plucky underdog doing it. Mayo were super aggressive after halftime and more power to them, they needed it. But this myopic sense of being hard done by even after winning a great game is laughable. Both teams were aggressive and overstepped the mark at times but it wasn't a nasty game by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

For a moment there I thought I wandered into the Dublin GAA thread. Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

More rubbish

1) you and your cohort clearly implied it in a previous post above (which I went through methodically as to the reasons why this was evident) (which you liked) then proceeded to laugh about Philly's ripped jersey.

2) The fact you are not revealing which county your are from or support is very telling. Are you not proud of it? Or will the statement incarnate you as to your true intentions on this thread.

3) There is no sour grapes from me about Dublin losing. I have already said fair play to Mayo on the Mayo thread. I have also said Mayo deserved it and this result was coming. If you look at this thread prior to the game I called a Mayo win. For reasons I have already elaborated on numerous occasions. I have zero complaints with the result

4) I am aware that a Dublin loss brings out 'fans' like yourself who seem extremely blinkered and really revel vicariously in a Dublin defeat. You dream of it. Your dreams came through. But you don't stop there you want to tar the team, diminish the team, sully the team's reputation. If anyone could learn a bit of humility it is yourself from genuine GAA fans like myself and others. I doubt you will be opining much on this thread until Dublin lose again in football. And I doubt you will be giving any insight on the upcoming Dublin Football Championships.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

1) Whatever way you want to read my posts is up to you. I never once said Mayo did no wrongdoing and haven’t in the past.

2) Again, my county is none of your business and doesn’t have any bearing on my opinion unlike how it does on yours. I can see when Mayo have done wrong and I can see when Dublin have done wrong. I don’t have a blind bias.

4) I really don’t care that much about Dublin football as you seem to think I do. What they managed to do was incredible and I don’t think we’ll see it again. I have great time for players like Mccaffrey, Kilkenny, and I don’t have time for others like the Small brothers.

I’m not replying to you again - have a great day 👋

You implied it from what I can see and you are now backtracking. Teams do not win all ireland's without players like the Small brothers. A successful Gaelic Football team is made up of many components - different types of players complimenting each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Its heart warming to see the amount of new visitors we have to the Dublin GAA Thread. It really does bring home the amount of hurt that must have been inflicted on them over the years. I was berated by some for pointing out Flynns frontal charge on Cooper, and told to win graciously, something a lot of the new visitors to this thread could take heed of.

Post edited by ArielAtom on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Meath players suffered this abuse and far worse for years mainly at the hands of Dublin people and the Dublin biased media. Now that the shoe is on the other foot maybe this will be recognised upon reflection.

Interesting point on the Hennelly free we will never know now. There would have been real uproar if he scored the first and missed the retake. Maybe you are right Lane is likely to have bottled it.

I don't like the way posters are trying to tar the Dublin team. If they were real GAA people they would have more respect for the team. It has a similar vibe when the tired narrative was Dublin were physical machines/robots with no skill and so on. It was straight from a certain journalists play book.

But gradually even they had to concede that Dublin had great players, and moved on to find another way to diminish Dublin's achievements. It is pure and utter bregurgery. Remember when the Ulster teams and Kerry used to roll Dublin over they had skilful players but would outmuscle teams as well.

Kerry were not praised for this much for that but it was there in the an Gaeltacht lads they wouldn't be out muscled. Ulster football built its reputation on not being out muscled and the pundits used to rave about it.

The Dublin loss added to the John Small challenge is manna from heaven for certain posters. All their Christmases came at once they could really spin it. That is the nub of it really. Tomas O'Sé said as much when he called twitter a cesspit.

I think McCarthy's one was worse, Small's was just awkward and mistimed. They still should have got reds though. But then so should A O'S for repeated infractions at least two yellows. Plus he was a contributor to a melee.

What shoe? What I find ironic is that you were responding to a poster about the Media's obsession with Dublin. Yet, here you are on a Dublin thread commenting about DUBLIN! 😀

Dublin had done five in a row never done before (in men's football) of course they are going to be the main draw. Six if you count the weird covid year. But, I don't really count that in my mind.

And now you're mentioning 'abuse' Meath players suffered from Dublin in Meath games. I am old enough to remember many a Meath game when both teams were top sides. There was hard hits from both sides and the teams shook hands. Then moved on from it. In fact many of the Dublin and Meath players of the late 80's early 90's side became good friends and played in golf outings together and the like. So I don't know where this abuse 'over the years' stuff is coming from. Your own head maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

AOS should have got a red for that missed free in the 1st half.

It sickened me seeing him celebrate at the end, and getting his mug into every photograph.

His behaviour at the end of the game reminded me of John Terry at the end of that champions league final that he didn't play in.

O'Shea contributed about as much to his team on Saturday as terry did to Chelsea that night.

Horan showed some balls to sub AO'S in fairness to him. He deserves Kudos for that. Most managers would have left him on based on 'reputation' and hoped he would come good.

But yeah, AO'S seemed to be consistently acting the bollix. He is a an odd sort of player in that he can be completely anonymous in games at times. I don't know what to make of him at all. Would Horan pick it him to start v Kerry/Tyrone after that display?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

The Ballymun lads are tough men. I remember watching a club game between them and Vincent's in Parnell Park and the should McCarthy gave one of the Vincent's lads which was a fair shoulder mind you flattened the Vincent's player. It might have been Nathan Mullins who was on the receiving end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

He'll be picked on reputation alone. Not fairly mind you.

• Advertisement

Nathan Mullin's is technically a Donegal man now...Ulster football must have made him soft! 😉

More often than not the Vinnies lads got the result against the Mun. I would love to see the head to head results from the last 10 years between those two teams.

Vincents were smarter footballers not as much legs as Ballymun, but more cuteness. I remember Ger Brennan letting on to be injured to buy time, slow restarting. And Mossy Quinn taking ages over a free to kill time, stuff like that. Ballymun crowd going ape wondering how they lost again etc.

The Mun were almost at a disadvantage having more players with Dublin. They always looked very heavy legged when it came to the championship.

No doubt Vinnie's had some crafty operators then but their not the team they used to be these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

what about when the 2 smalls were boxing the mayo lads in the head? don't try and fool anyone, we all know if Dublin scored the goal that was easier to score than miss (after the hit that broke a mans jaw) and Dublin won the game. You would be cheering away and probably saying it wasn't even a foul.

It wasn’t a foul. It was a shoulder to shoulder challenge, it was the follow through which happens in a high speed hit that caused them damage. I wish Eoghan McLaughlin all the best in his recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

The game was over (as in normal time) when O'Shea came on the pitch.

If you look at this clip, you'll see lane on 11 seconds telling the players to clear the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOfpG57P554

Then at 22 seconds there's a replay (ignore what's going on to the left) you see him holding out his arms to signal the end of the game. Comerford seems to also react to Lane ending the game. I've not seen the Sky version but it looks like RTE kept the clock running when the game was signaled as over.

Most football pundits are saying it was a red card. are they all wrong?

It was a cowardly hit, he knew McLaughlin didnt see him coming and was vulnerable and he absolutely nailed him. it was a sly hit.

Not sure why some posters here are saying they know small didnt want to hurt him, its not like he didnt punch and try to take the heads off lads in the same match.

Not cowardly, it was a legitimate hit, an unfortunate result for young McLaughlin. The slow mo pics and stills are after the initial shoulder to shoulder impact and that was what caused the damage. Nothing cowardly as you put it, simply McLaughlin was not prepared for the impact.

If you want to back in history, I’ll dive into the 1991 saga when Colm Coyle took Niall Guiden out with a blind side punch to his temple area after being instructed to take him out by Boylan, but Meath never ever acted the maggot. Cry me a river.

it was the same as punching someone when they aren't looking. If a player from my county did likewise I would admit it.

Anyway im glad this Dublin team is washed up, we wont have to hear too much about them anymore.

RTE would sicken you when Dublin are playing, oh great pass from insert any Dublin player here (average pass). After mccarthy elbowed Diarmuid O Connor "there was a coming together there" made it sound like a 50/50 tussle, when it was assault of a mayo player by a Dublin player.

• Advertisement

Great to see your true colours are shown. Good luck. You’ve basically admitted to an act that is not allowed here. Good man😂😂

Advertisement