Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Can you not see the difference there? Not related to the mayor. 3rd link doesnt work either

So you're saying it's ok to protest at the Mayor's office and residence as long as you don't protest the mayor?

What about the BLM protest at the American Embassy and the harrassment of the embassidor?

Boards' tracking and monitisation breaks some links, should show up if you copy and paste into the bar. Or search for "mansion House protest ireland"

I don't think you'll get a reply.

Why not?

Looks like I wont get a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭KaneToad

GarIT wrote: »
    I remember quite a big deal was made of it and a lot of people cared when it went to someone from SF.

It was a big deal when Royston Brady was in the office too.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I thought it was shapeshifting lizards these people believed in

The word "lizard" is problematic now, they prefer to be referred to as "Dragons"

Bigot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

RandRuns wrote: »
    The word "lizard" is problematic now, they prefer to be referred to as "Dragons"

Bigot.

Dragon is the word of French and British imperialists. How dare you.

#cancelRandRuns

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

rusty cole wrote: »
    100% also there was a ban on arranged gatherings during the pandemic but it seemed to be ignored at the time Blanchardstown Police station was protested after that shooting..

We cannot pick and chose even if we don't agree, a protest is a protest, sure how does she think shoppers felt in that shopping center when all those lads charged through screaming in PROTEST at shoppers etc, why was that ok in her mind id ask her? no fun when you're on the receiving end of a nasty protest Hazel or indeed feel intimidated.she has good press, that's the difference.

This is what struck me about the whole thing this morning. She was saying how she found it uncomfortable and that protesting is their right but not this abusive behaviour, yet when there was abusive behaviour in blanchardstown, she was encouraging the "protests", with a disclaimer- specifically made for her detractors iirc- that people should do so in line with public safety measures (to stay home and avoid mass gatherings....?).

She didn't condemn the abusive behaviour when people screamed "i hope you white bastards die" at key workers just doing their job- after they had witnessed a colleague being beaten the day previous. Yet when she is on the receiving end of intimidating behaviour it is no longer deemed to be a "protest". She was more than happy pour fuel to the fire when it was happening to others, when she could have used her voice then to appeal for peace, and make it clear that abuse will not be tolerated. Its all a bit hypocritical.

Absolutely not okay for it to happen to anybody. Not okay for anybody to be abused for their race or ethnicity. Just as much as it is not okay for someone to be abused because they happen to work in eurospar that is tenuously linked to someone's death. Its never okay. But Hazel only denounced it when it was happening to her. Thats my issue.

(Also, correct me if im wrong, but i think Hazel herself said in the interview with Clare that she cant say if it was racially motivated, but that some of the people there had made racist comments to her in the past. So I dont think it is Hazel who is making out accusations of racism here like people seem to think.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So you're saying it's ok to protest at the Mayor's office and residence as long as you don't protest the mayor?

What about the BLM protest at the American Embassy and the harrassment of the embassidor?

No, that wasn't my point at all. I'm saying your precedents aren't precedents.

Dragon is the word of French and British imperialists. How dare you.

#cancelRandRuns

Now I know how JK Rowling feels.

RandRuns wrote: »
    I've no idea whether these people were "racist" or not, as the only basis for that seems to be that the Lord Mayor they were protesting against happens to be of Asian descent, though since they weren't, as far as I'm aware, protesting her race, but rather her stance on masks (or something to that effect), then I think the "racists" label is just the usual kneejerk "everyone I disagree with is a Nazi" thing that's so in vogue at the moment.

The pertinenent point here is the opposition to the protest happening at her official residence. This is hilarious - every single one of the posters raising that, would have supported the protests outside the White House.

I hear we're all hypocrites now Ted.

That's what I say too.. number 10 Downing street, 1400 Pennsylvania avenue they have all been protested, I never Trump sayin, awe lads, not outside me gaff, get me on the fly!!!

The thing I don't like is that these protestors make any intelligent person with an opposing view look aligned with their methods..like someone else said, identity politics 101.

No, that wasn't my point at all. I'm saying your precedents aren't precedents.

People have protested politicians, including mayor's.

People have protested at the Mansion House.

People have protested at TDs private residence.

What do you want, to keep being more specific about the event until you can say this exact very specific thing hasn't happened to a white person before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,704 ✭✭✭hynesie08

That's what I say too.. number 10 Downing street, 1400 Pennsylvania avenue they have all been protested, I never Trump sayin, awe lads, not outside me gaff, get me on the fly!!!

The thing I don't like is that these protestors make any intelligent person with an opposing view look aligned with their methods..like someone else said, identity politics 101.

When the mean lefties protested outside the white house, he locked himself in the basement until they were tear gassed away.

The reason Gemma O'Doherty and the likes get so much media time is that they are a handy stick to beat anyone with who opposes the status quo.

Anyone organising a protest against lockdowns for instance, will now always be labelled "Nazi, far right, racist wingnuts" (as they are on this thread) because they can be handily aligned with Gemma and her cohorts.

To misquote Voltaire, If Gemma didn't exist, the powers that be would have to invent her.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    When the mean lefties protested outside the white house, he locked himself in the basement until they were tear gassed away.

Possibly.

But did you argue that they were racist for protesting there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Allinall wrote: »
    Where did she do that in relation to this incident?

From the press report:
    Ms Chu said the protest was clearly not about her policies as no other Green Party representative were being targeted in such a manner, and said if it's the case that "you don't like a woman of colour in this office then we have a huge problem."

She directly related the protest to her being a woman of colour. It took her exactly two seconds to assume that it was all about her gender and ethnicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

.anon. wrote: »
    There have been some truly terrible holders of the honorary position of Lord Mayor of Dublin in the past - corrupt chancers, in it for themselves - and none of those white men ever received anything like the kind of abuse that Hazel Chu gets. Can't think why.

It's possibly because as a Dubliner I couldn't barely name you a single past lord mayor bar the SF thick who went on a publicity jaunt to Palestine. And I think Christy Burke may have held it at one stage.

I wouldn't have noticed who Chu was, and neither would the wider public, only the IT and the Indo have had sometimes weekly interviews with her throughout the course of this year. For somebody who holds a ceremonial role on a local council that has about an eighth of the national population she is being groomed for a Dail seat or, more likely, a seat in the Seanad.

And it's her official residence. I take it Chu got as upset when the BLM wasters rioted outside Donald Trump's house. I take it any protest within shouting distance of Boris Johnson's place at number 10 is a disgrace.

Thought not.

hynesie08 wrote: »

If only Hazel had a basement and tear gas eh :D:D:D

The Donald, the gift that keeps on giving..gone but not forgotten

That said, it was wrong when people did this to Simon Harris and its wrong now.

Is it?

The people who were/ are protesting are the dregs of society. Nevertheless:

- plenty of people live in a home in which they pay extortionate rents.

- most of us have a car parked in the driveway for which the insurance costs double the EU average.

- soon enough I wont be able to enjoy a cheap can of beer in my home after a long week because of a law drafted by Simon Harris

- I faced the reality of spending less time in my home and more time on the road when Hazel Chu's mob tried to bring in 30km speed limits in Dublin

Phuck them and their right to peace in their home, frankly.

Is it?

- most of us have a car parked in the driveway for which the insurance costs double the EU average.

- soon enough I wont be able to enjoy a cheap can of beer in my home after a long week because of a law drafted by Simon Harris

- I faced the reality of spending less time in my home and more time on the road when Hazel Chu's mob tried to bring in 30km speed limits in Dublin

YEP, why aren't we even getting money back from our road tax?? we have not been able to drive anywhere for the year and are fully charged on this basis!! let them work on that for a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

That's phucked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

She did put her foot in it when she called the killing of George a racist murder by Gardaí and saying it wouldn't have happened to a white person within an hour of the news breaking.

Did she say that though? Was the tweet deleted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Is it?

YES, we should definitely protest Hazel Chu (The lord mayor of Dublin - a ceremonial position) at her gaff, because car insurance is expensive. :pac::pac::pac:
    YEP, why aren't we even getting money back from our road tax?? we have not been able to drive anywhere for the year and are fully charged on this basis!! let them work on that for a start!

I think this one is taking the pee... surely :D:D

osarusan wrote: »
    That's phucked up.

Monumentally, scary stuff - to mention dregs, then become one later in the same post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

People have protested politicians, including mayor's.

People have protested at the Mansion House.

People have protested at TDs private residence.

What do you want, to keep being more specific about the event until you can say this exact very specific thing hasn't happened to a white person before?

What do I want? How about an actual equivalent, not a random mish mash of different stuff, people protesting the mayor at their house on an issue that has nothing to do with the office of the mayor. That's what happened here

Ticitus kilJOY!!

Protest him!!! at his residence!! domicile!! place of worship even!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Ticitus kilJOY!!

Protest him!!! at his residence!! domicile!! place of worship even!!

TBF it's about as legit as protesting at Hazel Chu's gaff over masks,

c'mon down to my place of worship, abortions for some - miniature american flags for others. - (surprisingly apt given the people we are discussing actually :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You believe that it is perfectly fine to protest a politicians home and shout abuse at them because...

*checks notes*

...you can't drive as fast as you'd like in a miniscule part of the country.

That's reasonable...

Monumentally, scary stuff - to mention dregs, then become one later in the same post.

Hazel Chu would rather I lived in Mullingar and commuted to work in Dublin by electric bus, and the house I currently live in be occupied by former asylum seekers for whom employment should be a take it or leave it option.

For all her talk of racism on her background I'd half think of all migrant groups she would dislike the Chinese more than any. Their hard work, aversion to welfare dependency and probable anti communism would be at odds with the victim politics she sells.

Plus in the US Asians would constitute a good chunk of the small business owners who were looted by the BLM mobs. Chu would regard them as an honorary white establishment.

Hang on, this was at the Mansion House Home?

So our Green Mayor has 2 homes?

According to (former Lord Mayor) Paul McAuliffe, the same group protests at the mansion house on the same day every year.

So, are they still "far-right Nazi racists" if they've been doing this to white mayors too? Wouldn't it in fact be racist if they didn't protest against the bould Hazel this year, just necause she isn't white?

I think the reason we are hearing so much about it this year is because;

1) The media are obsessed with Hazel Chu
    2) Hazel Chu is obsessed with herself, and has unfettered access to the media
    3) Everything is racist nowadays
    4) Hazel plays the racism card brilliantly
    5) Racism sells

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

30km on a large city street isn't about safety. It's about making the activity of driving so unenjoyable you give it up.

Chu is a nasty little thug. And probably as deeply unhappy with life as every other leftist.

This is a bizarre post. How dare you call her a nasty little thug? Cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

This, the protests at Simon Harris' gaff and kidnapping Joan Burton. I might not be aligned with any of them politically but I would be in favour of an extremely tough sentence for harassing them in their private homes

It's their work stance you're arguing against. Protest outside their work.

NB. Working from home still doesn't mean go to their house

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement