Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

smurgen wrote: »
    You'll be waiting. Alot of nonsense getting posted. Anyway. Back to the topic at hand. Another day of the leaker leaking in the headlines.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1352535948530233344?s=19

From the newspaper. “ A statement to the Irish Examiner confirmed: "An Garda Síochána has received correspondence which is currently being assessed to determine what if any Garda action is required.

"An Garda Síochána has no further comment at this time."”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

From the newspaper. “ A statement to the Irish Examiner confirmed: "An Garda Síochána has received correspondence which is currently being assessed to determine what if any Garda action is required.

Poster said "Another day of the leaker leaking in the headlines."

I checked the examiner, and guess what?

IMG-20210122-091559.jpg

It's the headline.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Poster said "Another day of the leaker leaking in the headlines."

I checked the examiner, and guess what?

It's the headline.

Not on mine! It’s about 5th story down. Also in the same article “A spokesman for the Tánaiste said Mr Varadkar had not been contacted by gardaí and his office was not aware of any investigation”
    Anyone can make a complaint which must be investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,099 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

markodaly wrote: »
    I gave you your answer, your strawman gotcha notwithstanding.
    It is like arguing with Anti-Vaxxers, where they pull some pseudoscience out of a hat and expect to be taken seriously

Strawmen, whataboutery, gotcha questions are all irrelevant.
    Francis Fitzgerald was totally exonerated by the Charlton report, that is a Fact.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1011/1002474-disclosures-tribunal-frances-fitzgerald/

Everything else is just nonesense.

WHich isn't why she resigned.

WHY did she resign Mark? Can you commit to putting the reason in writing? Then we'll see what the facts say.

Yes, yes she was.

He did! Read the report.
    She resigned for lying to the dail?

I mean like her speech to the dail is on the record

• Advertisement

She resigned for lying to the dail?

I mean like her speech to the dail is on the record

Mark is a lone soldier here it would seem.

He knows fine well, but like the FG party, undeserved moral high ground is getting the better of him.

If he's reading this, I hope he lets this sink in.
    .However, in a statement, Fianna Fáil said Ms Fitzgerald had to resign because it and "the majority of the Dáil had lost confidence" in her.

The party said that this followed "a trail of mishaps, including forcing the Taoiseach to mislead the House on numerous occasions.

"No finding of Mr Justice Charleton disturbs that fact and every Government Minister is accountable to Dáil Éireann."

More here.
    Mr O'Callaghan has defended his actions in the lead-up to the resignation of Ms Fitgzerald.

Speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland, he said that there were "political reasons" why Fianna Fáil, along with most of the Dáil, lost confidence in Ms Fitzgerald.

He said that while he accepted the findings were a vindication of Ms Fitzgerald, their position in November 2017 was a political judgement, similar to Taoiseach Leo Varadkar's loss of confidence in Denis Naughten yesterday, and they had "a responsibility to act".

Ms Fitzgerald gave information to the Taoiseach, Mr O'Callaghan said, and as a result of that, incorrect information was given the Dáil.

Mr O'Callaghan said he bears no grudge against Ms Fitzgerald and it was up to the Taoiseach to decide if she would be brought back into the Cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

McMurphy wrote: »

If he's reading this, I hope he lets this sink in.

Oh, I know full well the political charade the preceded her resignation, the politics doesn't matter really when the Charlton report fully exonerated her from any wrong doing AFTER the fact.....

You know this, I know this but you want to present the political charade as more important then the facts, so what does that make your position on the matter?

Again, I will resort to the facts on this case, that she was 100% totally exonerated from any wrongdoing. That is all you need to know about this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not on mine! It’s about 5th story down. Also in the same article “A spokesman for the Tánaiste said Mr Varadkar had not been contacted by gardaí and his office was not aware of any investigation”
    Anyone can make a complaint which must be investigated.

The person who made the complaint should be in danger of being charged with wasting Garda time, so tenuous is the complaint.

Oh, I know full well the political charade the preceded her resignation, the politics doesn't matter really when the Charlton report fully exonerated her from any wrong doing AFTER the fact.....

You know this, I know this but you want to present the political charade as more important then the facts, so what does that make your position on the matter?

Again, I will resort to the facts on this case, that she was 100% totally exonerated from any wrongdoing. That is all you need to know about this issue.

Shatter was exonerated as well.

The mob with pitchforks know they have to get their targets before any kind of real justice takes place. They hate Leo because he manages to evade them each time.

blanch152 wrote: »

The mob with pitchforks know they have to get their targets before any kind of real justice takes place. They hate Leo because he manages to evade them each time.

Shatter went on live tv and gave out info that could have only come from the PULSE system

Surely given your triggered by GDPR rules and free state sharing info with stormont....you would oppose this?

• Advertisement

All you need to do here lads is point to the section which deals with her misleading her leader and conseqiently the Dáil which is the reason she had to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

All you need to do here lads is point to the section which deals with her misleading her leader and conseqiently the Dáil which is the reason she had to resign.

It does deal with that, in detail actually and exonerates her.

You know this Francie.

You know this Francie.

Post it Mark...that is what you have been asked to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

The mods should lock this thread. It's just going round in circles about Frances Fitzgerald. The NAGP issue is done at this stage.

You know this Francie.

Where?

You seem to have great difficulty finding it and quoting it tbh. Could it be because it doesn't exist in the report, because the report didn't cover her misleading the Dail mark?

Comical Ali meme needed here.

The mods should lock this thread. It's just going round in circles about Frances Fitzgerald. The NAGP issue is done at this stage.

The Gardai are investigating Varadker...far from over.

A lie, a blatant lie.

This is a very good example of how fake news is created.

The Gardai are not investigating Varadkar.

A lie, a blatant lie.

It isn't. The are investigating the veracity of a complaint into him which will evolve into an investigation of his actions f they decide to proceed.

I.E. ..therefore the story is far from over.

It isn't. The are investigating the veracity of a complaint into him which will evolve into an investigation of his actions if they decide to proceed.

I.E. ..therefore the story is far from over.

They are not investigating Varadkar according to the post above, they are investigating Varadkar according to the post below.

As I said, this is how fake news develops.

They are not investigating Varadkar according to the post above, they are investigating Varadkar according to the post below.

As I said, this is how fake news develops.

Let's take this slowly...how do you test the veracity of a complaint against somebody without investigating what happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭golfball37

Are they still investigating the attack on Leo during the summer ? I would have expected an update by now.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Are they still investigating the attack on Leo during the summer ? I would have expected an update by now.

No word. No word either on Leo suing The Village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

When did Varadkar say he would sue the Village?
    https://www.politico.eu/article/irelands-varadkar-sorry-for-giving-confidential-document-to-pal-but-says-hes-no-lawbreaker/

When asked if he would sue Village for libel, Varadkar suggested he was more likely to seek a retraction or file a complaint with Ireland’s Press Council instead.He said some of the magazine’s claims were “not only defamatory but laughable,” but noted that the magazine’s social media messages “appear to be goading me, wanting me to [sue], which gives me some degree of suspicion, quite frankly.”

I hate the guy but no need to make up lies about him.

When did Varadkar say he would sue the Village?
    However, Mr Varadkar has dismissed a report in Village Magazine concerning his time as Taoiseach as being “both inaccurate and grossly defamatory”.

He said he has sought legal advice on the content of the article, which alleged he had broken laws in providing a copy of a revised general practitioner contract to the then head of a GP union, the NAGP, in April 2019.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40073852.html

Hadn't seen the bit you posted. Accepted, he isn't going to sue, but he did say he was considering it.

Ya. Shades of head meeting brick wall.....repeatedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Hadn't seen the bit you posted. Accepted, he isn't going to sue, but he did say he was considering it.

Seeking legal advice is not saying he will sue, nothing in that article mentioned he was going to sue

Seeking legal advice is not saying he will sue, nothing in that article mentioned he was going to sue

I seem to remember Leo saying at the time that there was no point suing someone who has no money. Didn’t want to pile hardship on them having to defend themselves.

I didn't say he said 'he was going to sue', if you are going to be stiffly pedantic. I said there was no word on whether he would. Not sure if you seek legal advice on being defamed what you would be doing tbh, but that is just me.
    You have posted the definitive answer which I accept.

That is twice today you have posted fake news about Varadkar.

There must be bad news coming for Sinn Fein, is there something in the weekend papers?

• Advertisement

That is twice today you have posted fake news about Varadkar.

There must be bad news coming for Sinn Fein, is there something in the weekend papers?

I did something you cannot do, I accepted I was wrong on him suing The Village, he has ruled it out after taking advice on what he percieved as demfamation.

Now any chance you and Mark can come down of 'the high moral ground' and admit you are wrong on why Fitzgerald resigned and the Report makes no mention of why she resigned (because that wasn't in it's terms of reference)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement