Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would not be so quick to decide 'any brake pad will do' (as i'd previously done) after buying BBB pads for my rear brake, and them turning to butter at the first sign of any crud getting on them, and being quite simply impossible to clean. only pads i've ever had that issue with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

i would not be so quick to decide 'any brake pad will do' (as i'd previously done) after buying BBB pads for my rear brake, and them turning to butter at the first sign of any crud getting on them, and being quite simply impossible to clean. only pads i've ever had that issue with.

I was more thinking of, lets say, between resin or metal, one beds in quicker and one lasts longer but if they are both lets say Shimano equivalents with the actual brake part the only difference, it won't make a huge difference unless you are going off road, both will stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

what's the difference in price between the options?
    i wouldn't worry so much as to their 'everyday' use, i'd be more concerned with maintenance and confidence in them. you want to judge them by how good they are when you *need* them.

Theres about 6 Euro difference, both are Shimano parts, both are available.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-k04s-metal-disc-brake-pads-541324

Vs

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-k03s-resin-disc-brake-pads-806533

They came with resin, and I've no real problem that I noticed with them

I hadn't thought of spurious parts, but I might have to look em up now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

I've often wondered about consumables for bikes, and whether it was similar to consumables for cars.

Case in point. Mate of mine insisted on only ever putting VW brand brake pads on his Golf. Didn't matter what you said,you couldn't convince him that there were spurious brands that were as good as he was buying from the main dealer, but even more to the point, you couldn't convince him that Volkswagen weren't actually manufacturing those pads.

So when Shimano sell branded pads, cables, grease, chains, etc. how much is actually made in-house?

Can you buy the K03S or K04S in multipacks like you can for other brake pads, I can't find them anywhere but I bought a 25 pack of B01S which knocked off 33% of the already discounted price. For the price of them I would be happy to get something like that for these ones.

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    I've often wondered about consumables for bikes, and whether it was similar to consumables for cars.

Case in point. Mate of mine insisted on only ever putting VW brand brake pads on his Golf. Didn't matter what you said,you couldn't convince him that there were spurious brands that were as good as he was buying from the main dealer, but even more to the point, you couldn't convince him that Volkswagen weren't actually manufacturing those pads.

So when Shimano sell branded pads, cables, grease, chains, etc. how much is actually made in-house?

I presume they make most of it in house but certain things they probably just QA and order from suppliers.

On the same note, does anyone know of any alternatives to the K03S from other brands?

Okay, that is my homework for tonight sorted - See if I can find spurious versions at a much reduced price (or its just not worth it), or multi-packs.

Challenge accepted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Fitting a new hanger to my Giant Defy:

I over-torqued the tiny screws, and ran the frame threads (I didn't really, I used the lightest of touches!).

What are my options?

I've used Heli Coil in larger problems, but I'd really value an opinion from those who have repaired bicycle threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

Roadtoad wrote: »

I over-torqued the tiny screws, and ran the frame threads (I didn't really, I used the lightest of touches!).

What are my options?

I've used Heli Coil in larger problems, but I'd really value an opinion from those who have repaired bicycle threads.

What size holes and screws?

You should be able to drill and tap to take slightly larger screws, assuming you have the tools.

Could you take s picture or two?

If you decide to drill and tap, there are certain hole sizes that go with certain tap sizes to ensure proper thread engagement.

Roadtoad wrote: »

What are my options?

Is it disc brake or rim brake, having lost the tiny bolt on an old disc brake bike, you can simply hold it in as you screw in the thru axle, although you have to keep an eye as it can work loose. If its not disc and thru axle, is it far enough away from the wheel hub that you could put a small nut and bolt in or does it only partly go in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The screws for hangers are only to hold it (and the RD) in place while the rear wheel is out of the frame.
    If you can't fit the screws, you can still fit the wheel/ride the bike, but it can be a bit annoying when the RD & hanger fall about (and they can turn around and tangle the RD cable and chain) when the wheel is out, but once you have the wheel in and the hanger lined up, then it won't matter whether there are bolts in the hanger or not.

You could also try using an appropriate size of self-tapper screws, if you can get ones with small enough countersunk screw-heads.

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Okay, that is my homework for tonight sorted - See if I can find spurious versions at a much reduced price (or its just not worth it), or multi-packs.

Challenge accepted :D

So, I can't find any multi packs, nor any spurious parts that are stupidly low prices, so I am just going to buy them from bikediscount .de, however they charge €10 for delivery, so I was going to get some mineral oil, is this too good to be true?

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/barbieri-mineral-oil-1-litre-for-hydraulic-disc-brakes-1064525

I'm also going to get two sets (front and rear).

Does anyone want to add anything to my basket, to get value for the €10 delivery (I'll pay the delivery, I just can't see any other items to add to my basket)?

So, I can't find any multi packs, nor any spurious parts that are stupidly low prices, so I am just going to buy them from bikediscount .de, however they charge €10 for delivery, so I was going to get some mineral oil, is this too good to be true?

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/barbieri-mineral-oil-1-litre-for-hydraulic-disc-brakes-1064525

I'm also going to get two sets (front and rear).

Does anyone want to add anything to my basket, to get value for the €10 delivery (I'll pay the delivery, I just can't see any other items to add to my basket)?

Can you add this on your credit card and I'll fix you up later for it :p

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cervelo-caledonia-5-ultegra-di2-1057939

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wheelo01, you have my permission to call his bluff, and do it. and the rest of us will act as witness that he entered into a contract with you.

Can you add this on your credit card and I'll fix you up later for it :p

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cervelo-caledonia-5-ultegra-di2-1057939

What size mate??

What size mate??

Too bad for my short arse, they only have 56 and 58 in stock :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

When lubing chain do people just put bottle in contact with the chain and spin it through maintaining a regular pressure on the bottle to ensure approximately the right amount goes out? Or do you go through each chain link and lube individually? I can never find the chain link and can rarely see where the lube has or hasn't gone so get annoyed with the latter and just do a plough on, then rub off excess.

These are clearly the pressing issues of our times.

one small drop on each link. the quick links i use are usually easy to spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

a148pro wrote: »
    When lubing chain do people just put bottle in contact with the chain and spin it through maintaining a regular pressure on the bottle to ensure approximately the right amount goes out? Or do you go through each chain link and lube individually? I can never find the chain link and can rarely see where the lube has or hasn't gone so get annoyed with the latter and just do a plough on, then rub off excess.

These are clearly the pressing issues of our times.

I spin the chain. Life's too short to do 110 individual links

rayman1 wrote: »
    I spin the chain. Life's too short to do 110 individual links

+1, it should not take much more than 10 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Any tips for putting on an indoor turbo tyre? I ordered it from Decathlon and it arrived completely out of shape and folded, finding it very tricky to keep enough of a shape to put it on like a regular tyre.

I had a bit of a mechanical while out today- bike felt like the brakes had engaged and were trying to slow down. (Rear wheel)
    Removed the brake pads, wheel still wouldn't spin freely. Loosened the skewer by about one full turn as I was going to take the wheel off, and it spun freely. Left it like that and limped it home.
    I took the wheel off when I got home, freed the 2.5mm Allen key, spun the nut(?) Off, pulled on the axle, and the cassette stayed attached - is this normal? Or is this where my problem lies?

freed which 2.5mm allen key? is it a through axle?

Yes, skewers, I believe they're called, fulcrum racing 66 wheels

Possibly your skewers weren't tight in the first place and a small bump put the wheel at a funny angle, try and put the wheel back in and see does it work?

if you mean the skewers came out and the cassette remained in place, this is entirely as expected; the job of the skewer is to hold the wheel into the the frame and nothing more. the cassette is held on with a locknut of its own, which requires a tool whose only job is to remove the cassette.

Okay, that makes sense, so my problem is elsewhere, I'll have another look tomorrow, maybe the bearing seized?
    Crancycle, the skewer was tight when it happened, when I was opening it, the wheel would spin freely, when I tightened it up again, it wouldn't spin.

Anyway, I'll look again tomorrow

Thanks for the replies.

does the axle itself spin freely? the axle is basically the tube the rod of the skewer slides through.

I've just had a bit of time to myself, I took it apart again. The bearing on the rotor side is seized, thus not allowing the axle to spin freely.
    I luckily have some spare bearings here, so I'll tap the seized one out when I can make noise tomorrow, then replace it.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

AaronEnnis wrote: »
    Any tips for putting on an indoor turbo tyre? I ordered it from Decathlon and it arrived completely out of shape and folded, finding it very tricky to keep enough of a shape to put it on like a regular tyre.

While I've never fitted a turbo tyre, I imagine it's no different to any other folding tyre. What I do for these is straighten it out and turn it the right way out as much as possible. Get one bead onto the rim (either side), put a tube in and inflate it just enough so the tyre holds shape then work your way around and seat the other bead. You might be able to do it all with your thumbs, but if you have to resort to levers to finish it off (I usually do) , just be careful not to nip the tube

There's a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9N3U2iQ598

Advertisement