Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebike Law

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Do you not need longer battery performance than speed for that tour?

Yes, Longer range and a little support on the hill climbs would be required. Top speed is not an issue touring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

GreyEagle wrote: »
    Yes, Longer range and a little support on the hill climbs would be required. Top speed is not an issue touring.

The the person that told you that you needed 400 watts was giving you false info.
    Distance is not about motor power but watt hour capacity from the battery. There is no legal limit on battery capacity that I know of.

Westport to Achil is flat, do you plan on doing some of the hills on the island?

Feel free to get somethng faster than 250 watts, you are unlikley to be stopped and get in trouble.
    But please only use it on the road, something with power would be dangerous on the greenway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and it should be pointed out that a higher power motor (with the assumption of higher sustained speed) will drain the battery faster, resulting in lower range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I've cycled the Westport to Achill greenway, there is one minor hill. It's very flat, you can view it on google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

tuxy wrote: »
    I've cycled the Westport to Achill greenway, there is one minor hill. It's very flat, you can view it on google maps.

If you go on the wrong day you can be facing into a serious wind from Mulranny to Achill.

Beautiful cycle though. I've been down there every year for the last five to cycle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

GreyEagle wrote: »
    So getting back to the OP, what is the legal limit for an eBike suitable for touring? If I needed insurance for an eBike is there anyone offering that in the Irish market.
    I'm not getting any younger and while I still get my 5K/yr., the longer cycles are becoming more of a challenge, especially with panniers. So a little electric push would be welcome.
    I tried a 400w rental bike recently. That's what I am told one would need for a Westport-Achill-Westport day trip. Plenty of zip but is it legal?
    If you're still capable of going touring with panniers but it's becoming challenging, you'd probably do fine with a standard 250W ebike, using the minimum assist 'eco' setting. It would take the sting out of the hills/headwinds.

Modifying your existing touring bike with this kit could be a handy way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

cdaly_ wrote: »
    If you're still capable of going touring with panniers but it's becoming challenging, you'd probably do fine with a standard 250W ebike, using the minimum assist 'eco' setting. It would take the sting out of the hills/headwinds.

Modifying your existing touring bike with this kit could be a handy way to do it.

That kit is very expensive. You can get a bafang bbs01 250 or a tsdz2 AND a battery for around 5 or 6 hundred.

I have a bbs02 750w on my touring bike. Not strictly legal but I keep to a modest speed, wanted the extra power for hauling loads. But the bafang bbs01 or tsdz2 250 are totally legal.

Oh it is that. I just like the neat, unobtrusive nature of it. You basically just replace bottom bracket and cranks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

Interesting outcome in the case in the UK of the rider of a chipped e-bike that knocked down a pedestrian, who subsequently died, then legged it - though did eventually turn himself in. He's been cleared of charges (seems to have been death by careless driving), and appears to have no repercussions for having a modified bike, and thus having no registration, (presumably) no license or insurance, and exceeding the speed limit by 50% in the area in question, and fleeing the scene of an incident. Road.cc have a columnist with a legal background that posts interesting analyses every now and again - it'd be interesting to see a legal opinion on this one

https://road.cc/content/news/271675-e-bike-rider-cleared-causing-london-pedestrians-death-careless-driving

JMcL wrote: »
    Interesting outcome in the case in the UK of the rider of a chipped e-bike that knocked down a pedestrian, who subsequently died, then legged it - though did eventually turn himself in. He's been cleared of charges (seems to have been death by careless driving), and appears to have no repercussions for having a modified bike, and thus having no registration, (presumably) no license or insurance, and exceeding the speed limit by 50% in the area in question, and fleeing the scene of an incident. Road.cc have a columnist with a legal background that posts interesting analyses every now and again - it'd be interesting to see a legal opinion on this one

https://road.cc/content/news/271675-e-bike-rider-cleared-causing-london-pedestrians-death-careless-driving

There's no mention of insurance or any charges relating to the modifications.

He was found not guilty by the jury but we don't know if the bike came into the equation. It could Simple have been that the jury believed he couldn't realistically avoid hitting her because he had a green light and she ran out in front of him from nowhere.

I would have thought that no insurance and leaving the scene would have been there as well but again, no mention.

• Advertisement

Ah but a chipped e-bike is a motorbike so he was a driver, not a cyclist. Therefore he gets acquitted. If it hadn't been chipped, he would have been a cyclist and therefore guilty...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

JMcL wrote: »
    Interesting outcome in the case in the UK of the rider of a chipped e-bike that knocked down a pedestrian, who subsequently died, then legged it
    Good trick that, legging it while dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Tailed one thru Dublin city last night, gent in his latter years on full assyst throttle. It wasn't that that was off putting, rather the huge flashing WHITE light at the rear ye would see from outer space.

A flashing white light on the rear really pi$$es me off. When I see them, i just think what a pleb. Not as bad as no light but only marginally so. So stupid, so inconsiderate to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Ah but a chipped e-bike is a motorbike so he was a driver, not a cyclist. Therefore he gets acquitted. If it hadn't been chipped, he would have been a cyclist and therefore guilty...

All cyclists are drivers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I presume he meant motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 7 woodster

well said, I'm 60 and want build exercise into my day ebikes work well

Advertisement