Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebike Law

Options
  • 13-02-2020 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi

Do pedelec bikes need to have a power limit on the batt/motor? I've read that 250w is the max we are allowed here or else it needs tax insurance.

RSA website does not mention any power limit only that throttle controlled bikes need tax/ins etc, is this accurate? Thanks.

What is the law on eBikes, pedelecs or battery powered
    scooters? Regardless of the type of bike, its speed or whether it requires a push
    start, the rules are as follows:
    • If it can be powered by mechanical or electrical power alone (i.e. it can continue
    without you pedalling or scooting it) then it is considered to be a ‘mechanically
    propelled vehicle’ (MPV).
    • Under road traffic law if an MPV is used in a public place it is subject to all of the
    regulatory controls that apply to other vehicles i.e. it must be roadworthy,
    registered, taxed and insured.
    • The driver of the vehicle must hold the appropriate driving licence and is obliged to
    wear a crash helmet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Pedelec:
    • 250W max motor power
    • Max speed under assistance 25kph
    • Only assists while pedalling

MPV:
    • Anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

250w max CONSTANT power, ie it can exceed it for short periods of time but has to be rated at a Max of 250 constant

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

would be great if the cops started enforcing that law.

as an aside, I was cycling to work yesterday morning. Very sketchy conditions with even the gritted parts of the city, dubious at times. I was stopped at the lights on Pearse st, at the junction of westmoreland st, at around 7am. Just as the lights were changing a lad on an illegal e-bike absolutely flew by me.

Now, whatever about the illegalities of his steed, it was bloody foolish to be hitting those kinds of speeds on, what looked to be regular mountain bike wheels, given the conditions.

I'm noticing it more and more - just like the Dublin bikes, the average e-bike user is generally a very inexperienced 'cyclist'. Real cyclists tend to have more savvy, on general. All anecdotal, of course.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

1bryan wrote: »

AFAIK, there are two cases in front of the courts at the moment which could be seen as test cases. If these prosecutions are successful, you may expect to see more.

However, the real threat for people riding illegal e-bikes and scooters is less enforcement (since enforcement of any road traffic offence is still a relative rarity) and more liability. If you're involved in an accident and it transpires you were driving an illegal vehicle with no tax and insurance, you could could be found partly or wholly liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There is a child on my route that uses a dodgy ebike conversion and I can't understand the parents allow it. No lights, throttle control and goes over 35 mph. There is no way he is even 16 and it is in heaven city traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

as an aside, I was cycling to work yesterday morning. Very sketchy conditions with even the gritted parts of the city, dubious at times. I was stopped at the lights on Pearse st, at the junction of westmoreland st, at around 7am. Just as the lights were changing a lad on an illegal e-bike absolutely flew by me.

Now, whatever about the illegalities of his steed, it was bloody foolish to be hitting those kinds of speeds on, what looked to be regular mountain bike wheels, given the conditions.

I'm noticing it more and more - just like the Dublin bikes, the average e-bike user is generally a very inexperienced 'cyclist'. Real cyclists tend to have more savvy, on general. All anecdotal, of course.

Tailed one thru Dublin city last night, gent in his latter years on full assyst throttle. It wasn't that that was off putting, rather the huge flashing WHITE light at the rear ye would see from outer space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Saw one of these being linked in a different forum here, a 750w bolt on motor: LINK which has 160nm torque. And probably no speed restrictions on it either..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,031 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    There is a child on my route that uses a dodgy ebike conversion and I can't understand the parents allow it. No lights, throttle control and goes over 35 mph. There is no way he is even 16 and it is in heaven city traffic.
    Worth reporting to the cops (for the child's own safety), IMO.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

the average e-bike user is generally a very inexperienced 'cyclist'. Real cyclists tend to have more savvy, on general. All anecdotal, of course.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Cool thanks, I couldn't find the official info that says max 250w motor, any links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Esel wrote: »
    Worth reporting to the cops (for the child's own safety), IMO.

I can see them now waiting on the road to see the kid so they can stop him. Seriously what are they going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,031 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I can see them now waiting on the road to see the kid so they can stop him. Seriously what are they going to do?
    What you said - stop him. Then seize the 'bike'.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Tailed one thru Dublin city last night, gent in his latter years on full assyst throttle. It wasn't that that was off putting, rather the huge flashing WHITE light at the rear ye would see from outer space.

The Dutch have a huge problem with this. OAPs on Ebikes getting in fatal smashes.
    Figures released this week show that more people are being killed in the Netherlands while riding an electric bike than a moped, and nearly 90% were aged 60 or above. The death toll has prompted Dutch police to call for those who start riding bikes fitted with a motor to take a safety course.

I'd argue that if I'm cruising at 40kph under human power I'm wide awake. If the same just involves pushing a button I could be half comatosed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ReReg Numpty

This is the problem with scooters and e-bikes. The power assist facilitates a sort of disconnect from the environment that normal cyclists don't experience. This is not to their advantage.

Why can't they ride bikes like the rest of us? They are the 'uncanny valley' of road users...

ED E wrote: »
    The Dutch have a huge problem with this. OAPs on Ebikes getting in fatal smashes.

I'd argue that if I'm cruising at 40kph under human power I'm wide awake. If the same just involves pushing a button I could be half comatosed.

I don't know of any commercially available eBike that would throttle up to 40kph, only home builds with a lot more power than 250w available might be able to do it. Any commercial ebikes I know of with a throttle would have cut off at max 15-20kph

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Duckjob wrote: »
    I don't know of any commercially available eBike that would throttle up to 40kph, only home builds with a lot more power than 250w available might be able to do it. Any commercial ebikes I know of with a throttle would have cut off at max 15-20kph

Not if they are modified (chipped) to go faster. Agree the majority of the fast ones are home builds or ebay type purchases. Your average Garda would not know the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Duckjob wrote: »

You can buy one tomorrow in Dublin.

https://www.dlbcycles.ie/electric-bikes

All it takes is a firmware update to set whatever speed limit you want, or none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Thanks for the tip, I'll stay away from Holland.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Not if they are modified (chipped) to go faster. Agree the majority of the fast ones are home builds or ebay type purchases. Your average Garda would not know the difference.

All it takes is a firmware update to set whatever speed limit you want, or none at all.

I was talking specially about throttle only speed not pedal assisted speed. Throttle only was what your post I answered was taking about.

Chipping just removes or changes the theoretical upper speed limit, but you're still never going to be able to get anywhere near 40kph from 250 watts on a heavy unaerodynamic bike (which is nearly all ebikes)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Why can't they ride bikes like the rest of us? They are the 'uncanny valley' of road users...

I can see why in fairness, less exertion, longer distances, pretty much normal clothes and no need for a shower when arriving at the office.

I've inadvertently got into commuter races with a couple, some i can keep pace with, others just blast away like a motorbike, can be a dodgy enough thing to do particularly when on confined routes like the canals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

This conversion kit looks interesting. Motor looks like a big plastic 'chainring' on the left, battery goes on like a bidon. It depends on the bottom bracket for its counter torque so that could get interesting as it tightens under load. I wonder could it strip the BB threads?

Commentary in german but a good illustration of fitting...

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

So where might I find the official definition of this law, any links?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Gerry

I encounter e bikes every day.. even the factory bikes seem to almost all be chipped. Only very rarely do you see one limited to 25kmh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

[quote="ED ...I'd argue that if I'm cruising at 40kph under human power I'm wide awake. If the same just involves pushing a button I could be half comatosed....[/quote]

How is this different to driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

beauf wrote: »
    How is this different to driving?

Maybe it does not differ a lot. When you are not paying sufficient attention things can happen that you can't react to. That said, one noticeable difference would be balance in the event of something happening or having to react quickly at speed on 2 wheels, something you don't have to worry about on 4 wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/25/older-men-using-e-bikes-behind-rising-death-toll-among-dutch-cyclists

Speed being the cause is perhaps over simplistic, its more nuanced. Its getting people back on bikes who probably haven't been on a bike in years. They might have died tripping over a kerb, or a passenger in a car crash. Older people have worse outcomes than young people in accidents, because they are less robust. However lots have all moved to ebikes. They have become more active as a result.

I could be wrong but they seem less focused on cycling at speed than we are. Perhaps because its most seen as an ordinary activity not a sporting one, due to the culture, or infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Got absolutely burned by a cargo bike this evening. Felt like an eejit as I usually take my place in the bike queue but as this was a tight turn at the traffic lights I stopped in his outside so I'd get around the turn first once the lights went green. He's probably still laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,465 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This is the problem with scooters and e-bikes. The power assist facilitates a sort of disconnect from the environment that normal cyclists don't experience. This is not to their advantage.

eBikes are a huge benefit for older people, people with disabilities who would have limited power and stamina, cargo bike riders, people carrying heavy loads.

In summary, they're great. Don't create an 'us and them' situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Gerry wrote: »
    I encounter e bikes every day.. even the factory bikes seem to almost all be chipped. Only very rarely do you see one limited to 25kmh.

I cycle in Dublin everyday and have a regular ebike. I'd spot a chipped one a mile off and there doesn't seem to be that many about.

I see plenty regular commuters on ebikes plodding along at 25kph. The few
    chipped bikes i've seen look like they're conversion kits applied to regular bikes.

Advertisement