Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DubJJ

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Sorry does your email state or include a link to govt guidelines?

It's looking good to getting out, I'll be playing 2/3 balls tomorrow to get as much play as possible :-) apologies for slow play...

Just woke up to another email sent overnight apologising that they made a mistake and that the course had to close at midnight last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

I think the really cold weather is some consolation for the closure of golf clubs. I had a few rounds lined up before the lockdown and all of would have been cancelled anyway because of the frozen ground. And no real sign of this changing this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I see comments today that it’s unlikely schools will open in February. Not really a surprise but disappointing to hear because I think schools will need to be open for us to have any chance.

I’m hoping schools might reopen and get recalled after mid term in February, allowing golf to get back at the start of March and I think that’s the best outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Ollieboy wrote: »
    I see comments today that it’s unlikely schools will open in February. Not really a surprise but disappointing to hear because I think schools will need to be open for us to have any chance.

I’m hoping schools might reopen and get recalled after mid term in February, allowing golf to get back at the start of March and I think that’s the best outcome.

Unfortunately, I think you are right...

It is going to be a slow slog til then...

My suggestion is to buy a second hand PS4 and the The Gold Club and play with friends on mics while drinking beer... They have a huge amount of courses, was playing Killeen Castle last Saturday night...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I think you are right...

It is going to be a slow slog til then...

My suggestion is to buy a second hand PS4 and the The Gold Club and play with friends on mics while drinking beer... They have a huge amount of courses, was playing Killeen Castle last Saturday night...

Is that the PGA 2k21 version or an older one? Didn't realise Kileen was on it.

• Advertisement

Is that the PGA 2k21 version or an older one? Didn't realise Kileen was on it.

Killeen is on both....

The guy who has been doing the Irish courses announced on December that he is giving it up(it is a very tedious job and he was doing it on a PS4)...
    He had half the Irish courses upgraded from 2019 to 2K21. So Lahinch, Adare, Portmarnock , Druid's Glen, ... are all on 2K21 but no Ballybunion, Old Head or Tralee.

Saying that there is some incredible Designer courses on there.... The Designer courses are incredible, there is a lot of guys with a lot of talent...

Try these..

Amaryllis Club
    Falling Water
    Crystal Park 
    Hell's Ridge

Friend me CowboyTed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

What are ye talking about, I'm lost!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭This is it

bailey99 wrote: »

Xbox or playstation or something

bailey99 wrote: »

The best console (PS4 or xbox) golf game called The Golf Club 2K21.

It is generally the only proper simulation golf game on the console and has taken the mantle off Tiger Woods EA Golf.

It has online play (with mics) and tournament play, societies... all the usual types..

But one of its biggest features is Course Designer. It allows users to create courses then publish and people play them. There is two types of course being made, recreations of existing courses and totally made up courses...

They have recreated many courses world wide including Adare, Lahinch, Druid's Glen, Portrush, RCD, Portmarnock on TGC 2K21... The previous version had Ballybunion, Tralee (my favourite), Old Head.....

So during the lockdown we have been playing Irish, World & Artifical courses...

Here are a link to some of them:
    https://www.tgctours.com/Course/Details/21444

https://www.tgctours.com/Course/Details/22418

https://www.tgctours.com/Course/Details/20466

A bit of crack really...

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

It is generally the only proper simulation golf game on the console and has taken the mantle off Tiger Woods EA Golf.

It has online play (with mics) and tournament play, societies... all the usual types..

But one of its biggest features is Course Designer. It allows users to create courses then publish and people play them. There is two types of course being made, recreations of existing courses and totally made up courses...

They have recreated many courses world wide including Adare, Lahinch, Druid's Glen, Portrush, RCD, Portmarnock on TGC 2K21... The previous version had Ballybunion, Tralee (my favourite), Old Head.....

So during the lockdown we have been playing Irish, World & Artifical courses...

Here are a link to some of them:
    https://www.tgctours.com/Course/Details/21444

https://www.tgctours.com/Course/Details/22418

https://www.tgctours.com/Course/Details/20466

A bit of crack really...

Was considering investing in a PS5 to play this golf game as the graphics look unreal. Your message above is definitely sealing the deal. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Ollieboy wrote: »

I would take March but it most likely will be later. Varadkar indicated that retail won't open until April. If that is the case, No chance will they open Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah can see them keeping as much as possible closed beyond Paddys Day to avoid the shít show that would be. So I'd say end of March / start of April before golf is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

It'll be a phased reopening of the country. Golf will be back before the pubs I'm sure.

I'd be confident we won't be back at the start of February. If I had to guess, I'd say we'll be opening up early March. That's based on nothing, it's a pure guess.

I thought I saw Leo suggest most businesses would remain closed until March so would assume that would include golf. What will be interesting is the GAA inevitably starting to moan like they did last time once cases start to go down. I can see them lobbying to allow training in mid-february if case numbers start to drop down to low 100s, if that happens and the government gives in we could see an earlier opening but I think March is the likeliest opening time.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

My guess would be april after the bank holiday at Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Was considering investing in a PS5 to play this golf game as the graphics look unreal. Your message above is definitely sealing the deal. Thanks.

graphics really haven't progressed that much since the tiger woods golf sims

I have 2k21 golf on stadia which can run up to 4k resolution, much smaller cost up front tho the online community side of it is very quiet

willabur wrote: »
    graphics really haven't progressed that much since the tiger woods golf sims

I have 2k21 golf on stadia which can run up to 4k resolution, much smaller cost up front tho the online community side of it is very quiet

To avoid off topic stuff, thread already here; https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058107033

Also, 2k21 is average graphics at best. I'm playing on PS5 and have it for PC too, it looks better on my gaming PC imo. Definitely wouldn't buy a PS5 just for PGA 2k21.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

My guess would be april after the bank holiday at Easter.

Oh no.... Lot of people saying March / Apr. You're probably right too.
    I was hoping Feb until reading these comment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

If non essential retail is not open until April and Varadkar said as much the other day there is no chance golf will be allowed open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Russman

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    If non essential retail is not open until April and Varadkar said as much the other day there is no chance golf will be allowed open.

Yeah its beginning to look like the first few months are a write off isn't it.
    I suppose the only crumb is you can usually take what Leo says with a pinch of salt so maybe all's not lost yet !

Maybe we'll open up the same weekend as The Masters :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭macslash

Do you mean PGA Tour 2k21?

Lefty2Guns wrote: »

PS5 are like hen teeth at the moment.

PS4 is sold out as well , I say due to lockdown.

My advice is to buy a second hand one for about 200 (slim) or 300 (pro) and play... End of lock down or later you can sell for close for what you bought it. Game only costs €30...

Game hasn't been updated for PS5 yet. So PS4 and PS5 not a huge difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

To avoid off topic stuff, thread already here; https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058107033

Also, 2k21 is average graphics at best. I'm playing on PS5 and have it for PC too, it looks better on my gaming PC imo. Definitely wouldn't buy a PS5 just for PGA 2k21.

I played a game called WGT online on and off over the years. (nothing close to the real thing mind)
    It's free to join and play, and you don't need an expensive console to play.
    Would highly recommend:
    https://www.wgt.com/

Again - nothing can compare with the real thing but for the price this is a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

I thought I saw Leo suggest most businesses would remain closed until March so would assume that would include golf. What will be interesting is the GAA inevitably starting to moan like they did last time once cases start to go down. I can see them lobbying to allow training in mid-february if case numbers start to drop down to low 100s, if that happens and the government gives in we could see an earlier opening but I think March is the likeliest opening time.

Elite GAA training will be allowed in February and clubs are after IC this year so there will be less pressure.

I think Paddy’s Day could still see courses closed. My home course can be quite soft so I wouldn’t be missing out terribly much in that. Rather it closed this time of year than April/May/June like last year

macslash wrote: »
    Do you mean PGA Tour 2k21?

Yep... Sorry got mixed up with predecessor The Golf Club 2019

slingerz wrote: »
    Elite GAA training will be allowed in February and clubs are after IC this year so there will be less pressure.

I think Paddy’s Day could still see courses closed. My home course can be quite soft so I wouldn’t be missing out terribly much in that. Rather it closed this time of year than April/May/June like last year

Has that been announced? Not that it matters with all the counties getting caught already breaking the rules.

Hard to know but I think you could be right about paddy's day still being closed, maybe early April is more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

slingerz wrote: »

If we are closed until Paddy’s day clubs are going to struggle to get in annual subs. My own club’s renewal date is 1st Jan but most people don’t normally pay until late Jan or Feb. Last year most subs were paid before the lockdown. If there is any talk that clubs could be closed this year until well into the year it would be hard for some people to justify paying their subs at all.
    Apart from annual subs, clubs are suffering from loss of income from competition fees, green fees, societies etc. but still have all the usual outgoings.
    There could be tough times ahead on the financial front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Roger_007 wrote: »
    If we are closed until Paddy’s day clubs are going to struggle to get in annual subs. My own club’s renewal date is 1st Jan but most people don’t normally pay until late Jan or Feb. Last year most subs were paid before the lockdown. If there is any talk that clubs could be closed this year until well into the year it would be hard for some people to justify paying their subs at all.
    Apart from annual subs, clubs are suffering from loss of income from competition fees, green fees, societies etc. but still have all the usual outgoings.
    There could be tough times ahead on the financial front.

I think some clubs will struggle with cash flow at the start of the year but I still think people will sign up because there is no choice. It’s also not as easy to move at clubs,all decent or popular clubs are full. We’ve a massive waiting list and I’ve not seen that since 2008. People on this list are willing to pay now to guarantee entrance.

If clubs didn’t reopen till 1 st April with no members I reckon they would make more on green fees with less traffic. Green fees and society rates are going up and we have removed them from our timesheet because members demand is so high.

I just can’t see any other sports getting back this year besides tennis and golf. I think clubs are in a strong position but I also think some will struggle depending on product and location.

But the longer this goes on the more difficult it will be.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

First game back will be so sweet.

I won't be taking getting out for 4 hours of golf on a weekend morning for granted again.

Advertisement