Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo tournament on CPSII!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Doge wrote: »
    How people can pull them off so quickly amazes me...

Just practice, lots of it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've been messing around with SF2CE on the icade the last few days and as a total noob ive been struggling!

Im even struggling with pulling off Shoryukens!

I can probably pull one off 1 times out of 10, and even do hadokens instead by mistake!

How people can pull them off so quickly amazes me, i havent even started to do combos yet!

That should cheer you up a bit Myrddin!

Are you using the standard stick that's on the icade? It's fairly useless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

Star Lord wrote: »
    Are you using the standard stick that's on the icade? It's fairly useless!

At the moment yeah!

I can actually pull the move off more times with the on screen touch controls which says a lot about the stick really! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Finally, finally, finally...I've done it :) HF 1cc'd on the hardest setting! It's been a long time coming...23 years in fact :o I'm still actually shaking here, because beating Sagat first time got the nerves going, but that last Bison fight really got them going.

Round 1 - Double K.O.
    Round 2 - Bison beat me with a perfect
    Round 3 - I won with not too much room for comfort
    Final Round - I won with a slight bit more room for comfort.

Chuffed, it's always been a blemish for me, having never beat this on arcade difficulty, but today, I can hold my head high knowing I've at least done that :D

Next up, SSF2 :)

Congrats! Looks like I have 25 years to go until i reach your level! :pac:

I was looking for a game documentary to watch today and this popped up. :)

Congrats! Looks like I have 25 years to go until i reach your level! :pac:

Don't mind me, I took a long break from gaming during my late teens to mid/late 20's :o My SF skills were very rusty as a result, & all this HF practice has been good to brush off the dust & play at least somewhat decently again. I reckon I was much better than I am now, all the stuff you see Reilikk doing in his vids I used to do no problem, today though I'm that bit slower to react & my timing isn't as good as it used to be. It just goes to show though, with practice you really can improve.

Coincidentally, if I were to play HF again now (which I'm not, for a long time!!!) I'd be unlikely to beat it first try. I got lucky in that the three characters I struggle with came up as the first three fights (E.Honda, Blanka & Guile) & this made the AI much less of an utter b@stard early on. To beat this game comfortably, regardless of fighter order, would take much, much more practice on my part...but feck it, I've done it, & I'm running with it :o

I was looking for a game documentary to watch today and this popped up. :)

Looks like a good watch, I'll watch that later cheers :)

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Myrddin wrote: »
    Finally, finally, finally...I've done it :) HF 1cc'd on the hardest setting! It's been a long time coming...23 years in fact :o I'm still actually shaking here, because beating Sagat first time got the nerves going, but that last Bison fight really got them going.

Round 1 - Double K.O.
    Round 2 - Bison beat me with a perfect
    Round 3 - I won with not too much room for comfort
    Final Round - I won with a slight bit more room for comfort.

Chuffed, it's always been a blemish for me, having never beat this on arcade difficulty, but today, I can hold my head high knowing I've at least done that :D

Next up, SSF2 :)

Congratulations, your next challenge is to beat this Balrog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

And this Gief...

• Advertisement

Ha, EVO here I come :rolleyes::o

Went back there to plain old regular SF2, just to see how much I had become accustomed to the speed of HW. Wow, TWW is so slooow :o I 1cc'd it there on the hardest setting without losing a round, tis much, much easier than HF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I had one of those moments where I thought I was getting decent enough at CE with practice, then my sister came over and kicked the ****e out of me. :(

Then she proceeded to kick the the ****e out of me at Soul Calibur too.

Either I'm exceptionally bad or she's some kind of fighting game savant. For my own self worth I'm going with the latter :pac:

Just spotted this for the first time on Guile's stage....

350802.jpg

I mean could they have made it any bigger? :eek:

Looks like she can't wait 'til the fight is over imo,
    Then its round 2!

Tsk tsk Doge, that's her left arm dude.

53298935.jpg

Master of the Universe

Well that begs another question, why is she elbowing the poor guy in the balls?

Might explain why he's crosseyed :pac:

• Advertisement

Tsk tsk Doge, that's her left arm dude.

53298935.jpg

Oh **** youre right, sorry! Its the way she was tapping it continuosly made me think otherwise! :P

o1s1n wrote: »
    I had one of those moments where I thought I was getting decent enough at CE with practice, then my sister came over and kicked the ****e out of me. :(

Then she proceeded to kick the the ****e out of me at Soul Calibur too.

Either I'm exceptionally bad or she's some kind of fighting game savant. For my own self worth I'm going with the latter :pac:

I'm not saying she's bad or anything but, I always find it extremely difficult, in any game, playing against people who are inexperienced because they're utterly unpredictable. They don't know common strategies as you'd know them so, what's hardwired into your brain as to what they're going to do next gets thrown out the window. Much prefer playing against people who are as good or better than you, it raises your game. Playing against button mashers and people who have no idea what they're doing I find a little tedious, I don't have the patience for it anymore. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Relikk wrote: »
    I'm not saying she's bad or anything but, I always find it extremely difficult, in any game, playing against people who are inexperienced because they're utterly unpredictable. They don't know common strategies as you'd know them so, what's hardwired into your brain as to what they're going to do next gets thrown out the window. Much prefer playing against people who are as good or better than you, it raises your game. Playing against button mashers and people who have no idea what they're doing I find a little tedious, I don't have the patience for it anymore. :P

Nightmare tournament opponent right there :pac:

This thread has become all things Street Fighter, we should split rename it/split off Doom's OP :o Apologies for the hijacking Doom!

Anyway, I 1cc'd SSF2 on the hardest setting just there. I knew it wouldn't pose a problem, as the slower speeds make the game much more manageable. Took me a few goes just to get used to the updated strategies/AI of the original characters, and that of the new ones, but on the whole, it's a significantly easier game than HF.

So that marks all the SF2 games that I wanted to 1cc on level 8, & all the ones I used to regularly play in the arcades too. I'm not going to bother with SSF2T, of HSF2 as I know it'd be futile of me to even try 1cc them, the AI is infamously cheap & infuriating, so will be giving those a miss. Which leads me on to pastures new.

I never remember the Alpha games even exist, I think I played Alpha 1 only one time in the arcades years ago, so might try my hand at those ahead of moving on to SFIII. Qiestion for Doom/Azza/Relikk/blag...knowing you guys are on another level, have any of you 1cc'd SSF2T/HSF2 on level 8 just out of interest?

Alpha's are great, they're tough on the hardest settings too. Forget Alpha 1 and play Alpha 2 Gold and Alpha 3.

With regard to SSF2T, with DeeJay I can get to Akuma (not consistently though) with one credit, but that's playing fairly defensively. Akuma's a swine.

• Advertisement

Alpha's are great, they're tough on the hardest settings too. Forget Alpha 1 and play Alpha 2 Gold and Alpha 3.

Alpha 2 Gold? Hadn't heard of that...seems it's a console port of Zero 2 Alpha with some minor changes? Actually, what was the remake of SSF2 for the consoles, with real stylised graphics? Not sure I've ever played that.
    With regard to SSF2T, with DeeJay I can get to Akuma (not consistently though) with one credit, but that's playing fairly defensively. Akuma's a swine.

Akuma appears in SSF2T if you defeat Bison without losing a single round is it? You can do that with DeeJay?? Wow, nice. What about with the Shoto's, can you 1cc it?

I played SSFIIT for years and wouldn't fancy my chances at getting more than a few rounds versus CPU, it's not worth bothering with except for a laugh.

Yeah, Alpha 2 Gold or Zero 2 Alpha. The console version of SSF2T was SSF2T HD Remix. It has the original SSF2T and a rebalanced version with updated moves and easier to execute moves.

Akuma is no continues and 3 perfects, IIRC. He just teleports in and kicks Bisons arse, you don't have to fight him. It's ridiculously hard to even do that.

Yeah, Alpha 2 Gold or Zero 2 Alpha. The console version of SSF2T was SSF2T HD Remix. It has the original SSF2T and a rebalanced version with updated moves and easier to execute moves.

Ah that's it yeah, HD Remix. Digital only, except it's on the Capcom HD Collection for the 360, hmm, might pick that up.
    Akuma is no continues and 3 perfects, IIRC. He just teleports in and kicks Bisons arse, you don't have to fight him. It's ridiculously hard to even do that.

Aye, suffice it to say I won't be even trying. HF on level 8 is about as tough as I like :o

Ah that's it yeah, HD Remix. Digital only, except it's on the Capcom HD Collection for the 360, hmm, might pick that up.

Aye, suffice it to say I won't be even trying. HF on level 8 is about as tough as I like :o

The Capcom HD Collection is worth a pick up for Puzzle Fighter HD as well (rebalanced, too) and I enjoyed 1942 Joint Strike enough to 1cc it.

Sorry, I neglected to mention it wasn't level 8. Probably around 4 or whatever the default is set to for the Japanese rom.

EDIT: Ha, I just got to Akuma there now on the first try. Don't need the perfects, it seems. Just no continues. I'll upload it soon.

It's pretty bad in places, messed up against T. Hawk a little and probably should have been dead against Guile. Handy thing about mistiming DeeJay's super from an air hit is that the opponent seems to freeze a little on wakeup. Saved me once or twice.

Very impressive Relikk, I know how hard that game is & you make it look an awful lot easier than it actually is. Fair play :) Akuma looks to be an absolute pig, those double mid air fireballs followed up with the powerful yellow fireball when he lands :eek:

Ok...something very, very, very weird just happened. Intrigued by Relikk's video of SSF2T, I decided to just try my hand at it for a laugh. I didn't change the difficulty setting, so it was defaulted at 4 (or whatever the default is), and somehow....some bloody how...I made it to Akuma (reach the final boss, Bison to us, Vega in Japan, without losing a fight). While a bloody difficult game, it's either not as smash-the-screen hard as I remember, or all this SF2 practice has really served me well. Granted, I got absolutely schooled by Akuma, and despite being able to credit feed from that point on, I couldn't actually beat him & finish the game. I won a round here or there, but for the most part...I've no answers for what the AI is throwing at me with Akuma. I gave up after Battle 40, & Akuma is the 16th fighter, so goes to show you how many times I tried & failed to beat him. Lucky you can credit feed & continue to fight him, as without practice he's nigh on impossible I'd imagine.

Reilikk, if you get a chance at any stage, a video of you fighting/beating Akuma with Ken would go down very well about now :o If I could 1cc this game, I'd be seriously chuffed with myself, & the FG forum folks might even let me post there if I succeed :D

^ Just to add, I didn't make it to Akuma on my first go or anything. It took a few attempts over a few hours with breaks in between, but I was making progress in the game - something I'd never done before. I usually got annihalated after one fight at the most, but today I was winning 5/6/7 fights without losing, right from the start, so decided to put some effort in & see where it got me.

• Advertisement

Well done! I'd say the experience of the speed of HF has served you well there.

I'll certainly try. Ken wouldn't be my main in SSF2T so I'll have to practice a bit more. You'll probably get there before me. :D One character I'd love to do it with is Fei Long.

I'd say the experience of the speed of HF has served you well there.

Yeah I'd say so, I'm really surprised about it. I think moving away form those horrendous Happ sticks has helped too. I still have a Happ stick on the 2p side of the bartop, & it's an absolute disaster. The shorter throw & more accurate nature of the Zippy stick has helped a lot. If anything, the throw is still too long for me as I'd consider a lot of my special move technique to be compact enough, & I think that's why I had trouble doing special moves at speed - the stick wasn't being let to release a certain direction if you get me.
    I'll certainly try. Ken wouldn't be my main in SSF2T so I'll have to practice a bit more. You'll probably get there before me. :D One character I'd love to do it with is Fei Long.

Well if my fights with Akuma there are any indication, it'll be a long time before I beat him :o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I remember on the GBA remake of Super Turbo, there is a glitch that prevents that Akuma fight from spawning. Allowed you to sit there in your smugness, pretending 'yeah, I could've taken him'. Sadly, I half-recall some unlocks are locked behind decking him in challenge mode.

I think the Akuma scrap in Super Turbo is broke as f**k, but they really started to take the piss later on. Capcom vs SNK 2 has the Shin version which takes a lifetime to deck (I'm talking mid-range difficulties too). Then there's SNK's version in SNK vs Capcom, which is just what Akuma needed: an SNK reinterpretation.

Enjoying the thread, by the way. It's almost like a quest journal.

Kinda figured out how to get him down but it only works about 2-3 times out of 5 because of the AI being a cheap git knowing every little stick and button combo as soon as you press them but, it's really about being ultra defensive.

You can corner pressure him to a certain extent but you're pushing your luck. Best thing I found was to keep your distance and wait for him to start spamming fireballs. Most of the time he'll give you an opportunity at a hit when he teleports to you to close the gap, or gets too close so you can jump in with a heavy kick. It has to hit low to combo with anything as he'll reversal throw you. Be ready to tech that. All the time building your super meter with fireballs of your own and air tatsus when jumping over his.

Kinda figured out how to get him down but it only works about 2-3 times out of 5 because of the AI being a cheap git knowing every little stick and button combo as soon as you press them

That's so true. It feels like the fecker can read your mind, & counters your moves literally just as you perform them.
    You can corner pressure him to a certain extent but you're pushing your luck. Best thing I found was to keep your distance and wait for him to start spamming fireballs. Most of the time he'll give you an opportunity at a hit when he teleports to you to close the gap, or gets too close so you can jump in with a heavy kick. It has to hit low to combo with anything as he'll reversal throw you. Be ready to tech that. All the time building your super meter with fireballs of your own and air tatsus when jumping over his.

Excellent, will continue to practice based on that, & your vid there. Many thanks Reilkk. When you say to 'tech' his throws, how is that actually done? I've a very basic style in SF2, really basic, back from before there were additions like tech/reversals etc. I really only use three buttons, LP, HP & HK (I tend to use MP on Guile though to get him to perform his slice). I see good players using MK a lot, & it's just something I never learned to utilise.

To tech a throw against you it's basically just a throw input of your own. When you recover in the air instead of being grounded by a throw, that means it was tech'd. You take half the damage but, there's a strict window of 13 frames from when your opponent inputs their throw for you to input a throw of your own for it to be tech'd. Command grabs like Zangief's SPD, T.Hawks Mexican Typhoon and such can't be tech'd.

To tech a throw against you it's basically just a throw input of your own. When you recover in the air instead of being grounded by a throw, that means it was tech'd. You take half the damage but, there's a strict window of 13 frames from when your opponent inputs their throw for you to input a throw of your own for it to be tech'd. Command grabs like Zangief's SPD, T.Hawks Mexican Typhoon and such can't be tech'd.

So basically just forward or away plus HP within 13 frames of being thrown yourself? I tried to throw Akuma a few times when I had stunned him, literally the instant he stands up he recovers, actually throwing me every occasion I tried it

Exactly, forward/away and any button that can throw or grab (MP, HP, MK, HK) within 13 frames of their throw being executed. Harder than it sounds considering the game runs at 60fps.

Teching throws in ST is quite easy. 13 frames is huge in fighting game terms.
    The throw tech window in SF4 for example is 10 frames (7 from crouching) and thats considered easy as well.

One or two things to note about throw teching. The more buttons you can throw your opponent with the more you can tech throws. Some character can throw with 3 different buttons and thus can mash 3 throws buttons to tech easier.

You can't tech a throw if the full damage of the throw will kill you.

If Chun-Li forward throws you in the corner and you tech it, you can recover before she does and get a free throw of your own.

When it comes timing, reversals in ST have 1 frame input window. Combo's that require 1 frame or multipal 1 frames links are considered difficult.

Also Akuma can't be stunned in ST. He recovers instantly.

• Advertisement

So the complete arcade SF checklist is not including spin offs is :)

Street Fighter

Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior
    Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting
    Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers
    Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (Shin Akuma, hidden boss)
    Hyper Street Fighter 2: The Anniversary Edition (Shin Akuma, hidden boss)

Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors Dream
    Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Shin Akuma, hidden boss)
    Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha (enhanced version of Alpha 2, no western arcade release, Shin Akuma/Gouki, hidden boss)
    Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Final M.Bison is the boss for all characters except Evil Ryu, who's boss is Shin Akuma, Alpha 3 had 3 hidden modes of play and 3 hidden battle modes)

Street Fighter 3: New Generation
    Street Fighter 3 2nd Impact: Giant Attack (Hidden Rival Fight, Akuma, Shin Akuma as hidden bosses)
    Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future (Q, hidden sub boss)

Street Fighter 4 (Shin Akuma, Shin Gouken, hidden bosses)
    Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition/Version 2012 (Shin Akuma, Shin Evil Ryu, Shin Gouken, Shin Oni, hidden bosses)
    Ultra Street Fighter 4 (Shin Akuma, Shin Evil Ryu, Shin Gouken, Shin Oni, hidden bosses)

The final boss of SF4 Seth can be considered the Shin version of himself due to him having improved health and other advantages over the playable version.

Standard Final Boss for each series.

Street Fighter = Sagat
    Street Fighter 2 = M.Bison
    Street Fighter Alpha = M.Bison (Alpha 3 is Final M.Bison)
    Street Fighter 3 = Gill
    Street Fighter 4 = Seth

Cleared SSFT2X there, though needed to continue just once...I fear that's as close as I'll realistically get given how tough Akuma is (I've yet to 'unlock' him since last time). The four bosses are handy enough in the game. Will try a little longer, but clearing that game on two credits is for me, an achievement :)

This thread inspired to return to Super Turbo on me Dreamcast, having not touched in, at least, a year. To say I'm rusty would be generous. The clutch counters and allowable damage once taken for granted has now given way to 'please, sir, stop punching me long enough so I can hockey a weak-arse fireball".

Still a lovely port, mind. Especially in light of how utterly they borked it on the PS2 Capcom Classics.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I honestly don't know how you guys had the patience to finish SSF2T. Arcade mode in that game is specifically designed to make your brain melt!

If I recall correctly, it involved a lot of tea and occasionally waking up the missus with a screamed "ah you're f**king messin' now, lads".

I honestly don't know how you guys had the patience to finish SSF2T. Arcade mode in that game is specifically designed to make your brain melt!

Tell me about it, it's been a long time since a game truly pissed me off the way Super Turbo has. I didn't 1cc it, but I've 2cc'd it...and for me personally, I think that might be enough for me to walk away from it now. Without really investing a lot of time in it, I don't see myself beating Akuma on the first go.

• Advertisement

ST Akuma is one of if not the only (depending on who you ask) SF character banned in any of the mainline games from competitive play. He's simply not built to be beaten. The AI in ST is also ridiculously stringent and effectively cheats.

There's no shame in walking away from that :D

Master of the Universe

It'll niggle at you though...:pac:

ST Akuma is one of if not the only (depending on who you ask) SF character banned in any of the mainline games from competitive play. He's simply not built to be beaten. The AI in ST is also ridiculously stringent and effectively cheats.

There's no shame in walking away from that :D

It seriously does cheat, & that's whats infuriating me about the game. Tough games are one thing, but when the AI is actively & obviously ripping you off it's an entirely different matter :D If Doom is telling me I can hold my head with with 2cc'ing Super Turbo on default arcade settings, that's good enough for me :)
    o1s1n wrote: »
    It'll niggle at you though...:pac:

Ha, up until a few days ago it would have. But the game is so ridiculously cheap in terms of AI, I think 2cc'ing it will do me. It's either that or suffer an embolism

Yay, just beat Akuma - shame it took me about 4 or 5 tries though :o Ok, so on my Street Fighter marathon, here's how things stand:

Street Fighter 2 - 1cc'd on the hardest setting
    Street Fighter 2 CE - 1cc'd on the hardest setting
    Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting - 1cc'd on the hardest setting
    Super Street Fighter 2 - 1cc'd on the hardest setting
    Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - 2cc'd on default setting, or several credits if facing Akuma

Next up, Hyper Street Fighter 2: Anniversary Edition. Relikk said it's about as hard as Super Turbo so I won't be expecting to 1cc it, but if I can 2cc it beat Akuma with a few credits I'll be happy...

Yay, just beat Akuma - shame it took me about 4 or 5 tries though :o Ok, so on my Street Fighter marathon, here's how things stand:

Street Fighter 2 - 1cc'd on the hardest setting
    Street Fighter 2 CE - 1cc'd on the hardest setting
    Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting - 1cc'd on the hardest setting
    Super Street Fighter 2 - 1cc'd on the hardest setting
    Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - 2cc'd on default setting, or several credits if facing Akuma

Next up, Hyper Street Fighter 2: Anniversary Edition. Relikk said it's about as hard as Super Turbo so I won't be expecting to 1cc it, but if I can 2cc it beat Akuma with a few credits I'll be happy...

Should give the alpha games a go then, AI is a walk in the park in comparison.

• Advertisement
Advertisement