Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo tournament on CPSII!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Myrddin wrote: »
    Will have a look at that Relikk, cheers :) CE is SO slow compared to HF! How are you recording that btw?

Amazing to see the differences in speed between the SF2 versions, aye. CE was the perfect boost compared to World Warrior, now it's considered slow as you say.

Recorded with Fraps. It was being temperamental with me today at 1080p, though. Slowdowns and only recording at 30fps. So the video's only 480p and 30fps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Relikk wrote: »
    Amazing to see the differences in speed between the SF2 versions, aye. CE was the perfect boost compared to World Warrior, now it's considered slow as you say.

Don't get me wrong, CE is my favourite version of SF2 also :) It's just after playing HF for a while now, to see the speed differential in CE is pretty noticeable. I personally think HF is too fast :o

Question, why were there only bootlegs of CE made? No hacks of HF ever surfaced did they?

Argh! Made it to Sagat again & lost :mad:

Question, why were there only bootlegs of CE made? No hacks of HF ever surfaced did they?

True. Maybe they added an extra level of protection to HF or else the hackers were satisfied with the added speed and moves/abilities. No idea, really.
    Argh! Made it to Sagat again & lost :mad:

It'll click for you. Keep at it. Claw was like that for me in World Warrior when it was current in arcades.

One thing I've noticed from watching your videos Relikk, is that my timing is way off...at least in HF it is. You're catching dragon punches right when they do the most damage (just before the AI hits you)...whereas the AI are kinds just jumping into my ones. I can time things much better in TWW & CE....HF is just so bloody fast :o

• Advertisement

You definitely have a tougher time connecting with those more damaging hits in HF because of the speed but, it's all down to practicing and reflexes on a stick.

Using a save state before the Sagat match might help? Just keep loading it and get to know the AI a little better whether you win or lose.

Using a save state before the Sagat match might help? Just keep loading it and get to know the AI a little better whether you win or lose.

Good idea actually, cheers. Either that, or I can do the unthinkable, & start credit feeding until I've more experience fighting him in HF :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Very rarely Bison has hit me with some weird scissors kick insanity that combo's until all my life is gone and is unbreakable. It doesn't happen very often though and probably only works for the AI since they don't have to charge the scissors kick.

Nope, that's a legit strat in CE.

Guile, E.Honda, & Blanka are utter pigs for being cheap in HF

Guile, E.Honda, & Blanka are utter pigs for being cheap in HF

The spaced jab dragon punch flash kick bait tactic destroys Guile, same as CE. Fireball pressure, forcing jumps works for the other two.

• Advertisement

Made it to Sagat....again...beaten...again. However, I done the unthinkable & continued, and finally beat the fecker on the next credit! Bison took another two or three credits, but I eventually dispatched him too (first time fighting him in HF on this difficulty level so needed the experience).

If Guile/E.Honda/Blanka start as early fights, I'll do well. If they're the last of the regular 8 to fight, they're cheating b******s :o

Honestly, I'm gonna celebrate when I 1cc this fecker :( SO bloody frustrating, you can have an opponent nearly finished off & the simple act of a fireball not coming out can result in the loss of a round, despite having loads of health. The hit damage the AI has (particularly as you progress toward the bosses) is just insane, the lack of the AI needing to charge moves & at such speed is messing up by tactics. E.Honda's vertical sumo is just soul destroying at times, as it can dizzy you, & then he jumps in & takes half your entire health meter away with a chain of combos. Argh!!!

Heh, I'm sure you already know but, if you think HF is that bad, single player Super Turbo is on an entirely different plane of "WTF" and "HOW!".

Heh, I'm sure you already know but, if you think HF is that bad, single player Super Turbo is on an entirely different plane of "WTF" and "HOW!".

Oh god yeah, I used to own the actual cps2 board for it. Suffice it to say, I ain't even going there. After HF, I want to 1cc SSF2, and possibly Hyper SF2 after that. What's the challenge of HSF2 like?

If it makes you feel any better I 1cc'd HF and SSF2 on my very first tries when they were released in the arcades. :p (Sorry, had to. True though)

SSF2 is pretty much HF with 4 new characters. The core 12 are almost identical with minor changes that won't cause problems in single player. If you have HF down, SSF2 will be easy.

HSF2 is the same as ST in terms of difficulty. You can choose different versions of your character and that can help. For example WW Ken/Ryu: 3 hit tatsu, throws can't be tech'd, average 3 hits to stun, no supers. CE/HF the same, Ken faster tatsu etc. Older versions do more damage, also. Then there's the normal or old versions from SSF2 with no supers and their original movesets. You'd see a lot of people using the old version of Sagat (O.Sagat) in tournaments because he had faster Tiger shots and would recover the animation faster. Useful for pinning people in the corner and zoning from distance. He could combo from some normal moves whereas in ST he couldn't. Little differences in the original versions like that can help but again they have their downsides, no supers and can't tech throws.

If it makes you feel any better I 1cc'd HF and SSF2 on my very first tries when they were released in the arcades. :p (Sorry, had to. True though)

Ha feck off :p I almost 1cc'd SSF2 on my first ever play in the arcade too...made it to Bison & I lost the final round. I blame the pressure of the crowds, remember how small crowds use to appear out of nowhere to watch those who made it to the bosses back then? HF I always found more difficult than SSF2, I only ever made it to Balrog back then & that was just the one time (until now, where I can get to Sagat more often than not at the mo).

Not too worried about SSF2 anyway, but will give SSF2T & HSF2 a miss on account of what you're saying/ I'll move onto SF3 & see how I fare out :o

Ok, some, slight progress. Dispatched Sagat in one fight...kinda getting the hang of him now. The bad news is, E.Honda took about 6 credits to kill, no joke. Again, if he's anywhere near last of the normal 8 to fight I'm have real trouble with him (and guile). Analysing there, it's simply me not being accurate enough with special moves. The amount of fights I've lost because of a special move not coming out is ridiculous. I need to tighten up on the controls. It's not happening all the time, not even close, say 8 or 9 out of ten fireball/dragon punches will be fine, but it's that one time at the crucial moment that's letting me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

This video is so 90's, it hurts! :(

7f8cdef77fe0b17ef986f6da1963f4cf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Haha, that blue capped presenter dude is such a douche.

Gotta love the mildly racist 'white man doing an oriental voice over' for Ryu.

I may be watching all 45 minutes of this... :pac:

I've been messing around with SF2CE on the icade the last few days and as a total noob ive been struggling!

Im even struggling with pulling off Shoryukens!

I can probably pull one off 1 times out of 10, and even do hadokens instead by mistake!

How people can pull them off so quickly amazes me, i havent even started to do combos yet!

That should cheer you up a bit Myrddin!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Doge wrote: »
    How people can pull them off so quickly amazes me...

Just practice, lots of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've been messing around with SF2CE on the icade the last few days and as a total noob ive been struggling!

Im even struggling with pulling off Shoryukens!

I can probably pull one off 1 times out of 10, and even do hadokens instead by mistake!

How people can pull them off so quickly amazes me, i havent even started to do combos yet!

That should cheer you up a bit Myrddin!

Are you using the standard stick that's on the icade? It's fairly useless!

Star Lord wrote: »
    Are you using the standard stick that's on the icade? It's fairly useless!

At the moment yeah!

I can actually pull the move off more times with the on screen touch controls which says a lot about the stick really! :pac:

Finally, finally, finally...I've done it :) HF 1cc'd on the hardest setting! It's been a long time coming...23 years in fact :o I'm still actually shaking here, because beating Sagat first time got the nerves going, but that last Bison fight really got them going.

Round 1 - Double K.O.
    Round 2 - Bison beat me with a perfect
    Round 3 - I won with not too much room for comfort
    Final Round - I won with a slight bit more room for comfort.

Chuffed, it's always been a blemish for me, having never beat this on arcade difficulty, but today, I can hold my head high knowing I've at least done that :D

Next up, SSF2 :)

Congrats! Looks like I have 25 years to go until i reach your level! :pac:

I was looking for a game documentary to watch today and this popped up. :)

Congrats! Looks like I have 25 years to go until i reach your level! :pac:

Don't mind me, I took a long break from gaming during my late teens to mid/late 20's :o My SF skills were very rusty as a result, & all this HF practice has been good to brush off the dust & play at least somewhat decently again. I reckon I was much better than I am now, all the stuff you see Reilikk doing in his vids I used to do no problem, today though I'm that bit slower to react & my timing isn't as good as it used to be. It just goes to show though, with practice you really can improve.

Coincidentally, if I were to play HF again now (which I'm not, for a long time!!!) I'd be unlikely to beat it first try. I got lucky in that the three characters I struggle with came up as the first three fights (E.Honda, Blanka & Guile) & this made the AI much less of an utter b@stard early on. To beat this game comfortably, regardless of fighter order, would take much, much more practice on my part...but feck it, I've done it, & I'm running with it :o

I was looking for a game documentary to watch today and this popped up. :)

Looks like a good watch, I'll watch that later cheers :)

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Finally, finally, finally...I've done it :) HF 1cc'd on the hardest setting! It's been a long time coming...23 years in fact :o I'm still actually shaking here, because beating Sagat first time got the nerves going, but that last Bison fight really got them going.

Round 1 - Double K.O.
    Round 2 - Bison beat me with a perfect
    Round 3 - I won with not too much room for comfort
    Final Round - I won with a slight bit more room for comfort.

Chuffed, it's always been a blemish for me, having never beat this on arcade difficulty, but today, I can hold my head high knowing I've at least done that :D

Next up, SSF2 :)

Congratulations, your next challenge is to beat this Balrog.

And this Gief...

• Advertisement

Ha, EVO here I come :rolleyes::o

Advertisement