Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo tournament on CPSII!

Options
  • 15-05-2015 12:52pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Posting here with the permission of the mods :)

I'm sure loads of you know me by now, I'm Doom, the fighting game guy.

On the weekend of Sept the 5th and 6th we will be putting on the first Irish major fighting game event in the Ashling hotel, the Celtic Throwdown.

Now that's all well and good you might say, what's it got to do with A and R? Well, the lads from www.grandmasterchallenge.com will be in attendance, and with them comes the old favourite Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the original CPS II boards!

For the Capcom fanboys among you it might be a cool day out to meet some enthusiasts you might never meet otherwise.

I'll be streaming the entire event too.

Here's an effbee link with all the infos:

https://www.facebook.com/events/827279547320811/

Thanks!

Comments

They bring a cab too or just a supergun?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

They bring a cab too or just a supergun?

I'd say Supergun, they need people to be able to use whatever controller they want- that said, playing SF2 on anything but a dodgy Happ stick is objectively wrong :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

that said, playing SF2 on anything but a dodgy Happ stick is objectively wrong :D

Tell me about it. I'm trying to 1cc HF on full difficulty & it got to the stage where the stick itself was really letting me down. Those Happ things are utter, utter muck. I've moved on to a Zippy, again hardly high end, but still a significant upgrade over Happ. Still having trouble with the game though, if you fail to do a fireball in a split second decision, it can decide the whole bloody round! Sagat is the best I've got to yet, so not too far off.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Tell me about it. I'm trying to 1cc HF on full difficulty & it got to the stage where the stick itself was really letting me down. Those Happ things are utter, utter muck. I've moved on to a Zippy, again hardly high end, but still a significant upgrade over Happ. Still having trouble with the game though, if you fail to do a fireball in a split second decision, it can decide the whole bloody round! Sagat is the best I've got to yet, so not too far off.

In all seriousness, Sanwa JLF is pretty much made for playing SF. If you actually want to play the game accurately, that's the way to go. It's effectively tournament standard all the way from scrubs like me up to Daigo and Infiltration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found Sagat on single player pretty easy once you get his AI down. It's all about making your way through the sea of fireballs and baiting a tiger knee or uppercut that leaves him vulnerable. The problem is doing that without taking a slap because huis damage output is insane. Bison is much tougher, he can be quite random and he's finished me off with touch of death combos before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Atari Jaguar....

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I found Sagat on single player pretty easy once you get his AI down. It's all about making your way through the sea of fireballs and baiting a tiger knee or uppercut that leaves him vulnerable. The problem is doing that without taking a slap because huis damage output is insane. Bison is much tougher, he can be quite random and he's finished me off with touch of death combos before.

On full difficulty? Hmm, I'm not the worst in the world at the aul SF2 games but jeez HF is tough at this level. He actually didn't even create a wall of fireballs when I made it to him surprisingly enough, he seemed to use the height/reach advantage & jump attacks more than anything. Absolutely minced me so he did, it didn't help when trying to pull off special moves wasn't working when I needed to...bloody Happ!

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Ironically Bison and Vega where the worst characters in the game in HF.

The 4 Grand Masters or Diva's where never mean't to be balanced, and when they where made playable in Champion Edition they where clearly better to orginal World Warriors, almost broken. As a result they got hit with the nerf bat hard.

Having said that A.I characters do have different move properties from the playable versions, charge character's didn't have to charge etc.

Bison was quite random, but I can't imagine the A.I ever doing touch of death combo's.

In terms of single player, never play Super Turbo. The A.I cheats by reading your move inputs and counters perfectly 9 times out of 10. Even the easiest difficult modes are impossible. Good luck trying to get to round 3 or 4 without loosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Using Happ sticks at that level of HF is like trying to run the 100 meters in crocs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Azza wrote: »
    Bison was quite random, but I can't imagine the A.I ever doing touch of death combo's.

Very rarely Bison has hit me with some weird scissors kick insanity that combo's until all my life is gone and is unbreakable. It doesn't happen very often though and probably only works for the AI since they don't have to charge the scissors kick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Underrated on the CDi

Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add to the conversation so I'm just throwing a few comments in to see what sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add to the conversation so I'm just throwing a few comments in to see what sticks.

At least you don't resort to dirty jokes when you've nothing constructive to add! ;)

Azza wrote: »
    In terms of single player, never play Super Turbo. The A.I cheats by reading your move inputs and counters perfectly 9 times out of 10. Even the easiest difficult modes are impossible. Good luck trying to get to round 3 or 4 without loosing.

Tell me about it, I used to own the actual CPS2 board. Ridiculous is all I can say. I'm trying to 1cc all the good SF games on full difficulty, so far I've done SF2 & CE...HF is killing me though. Next up is SSF2 which is much easier (I made it to Bison the first time I ever played the game in the arcade), but will be skipping SSF2T altogether, it's just, broken. Might try my hand at the SF3's after that, have no real arcade experience of those games.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Using Happ sticks at that level of HF is like trying to run the 100 meters in crocs.

So true, you really need decent hardware at that level

Tell me about it, I used to own the actual CPS2 board. Ridiculous is all I can say. I'm trying to 1cc all the good SF games on full difficulty, so far I've done SF2 & CE...HF is killing me though. Next up is SSF2 which is much easier (I made it to Bison the first time I ever played the game in the arcade), but will be skipping SSF2T altogether, it's just, broken. Might try my hand at the SF3's after that, have no real arcade experience of those games.

So true, you really need decent hardware at that level

One word for ya: RESSURECTION.

One word for ya: RESSURECTION.

The most bull**** move in all fighting game history.

If you think the street fighter games are hard you should try a SNK game. SNK bosses are so ****ing cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

You can imagine my surprise after I credit-fed a cheesy Gil win in SF3:Third Strike just to see him immediately bound up and recover his life. That said, fewer feelings more satisfying in all of gaming than super-ing Gil out his resurrection mid-animation, then clocking him for the win.

If you think the street fighter games are hard you should try a SNK game. SNK bosses are so ****ing cheap.

Anyone who's ever complained about an SNK boss should play KoF XI. They made a boss so difficult and utterly broken, the rest of their ungodly boss roster looks balanced in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Or an SNK boss in a Capcom game... like U. Rugal in CvS2. :mad:

On full difficulty? Hmm, I'm not the worst in the world at the aul SF2 games but jeez HF is tough at this level. He actually didn't even create a wall of fireballs when I made it to him surprisingly enough, he seemed to use the height/reach advantage & jump attacks more than anything. Absolutely minced me so he did, it didn't help when trying to pull off special moves wasn't working when I needed to...bloody Happ!

Made a little video to show my strat against Sagat (using a shoto), it's basically the same as against Ryu so I threw that fight in there to show the similarities. I'm showing the service menu also to show that it's on the highest difficulty.

Getting them in the corner is the only tricky part. Once they're there, judge the distance so a DP can connect as they'll always throw out an appendage to connect to on wakeup, in Ryu's case a fireball and in Sagats case a crouching fierce.

I ****ed up in the first round against Sagat, didn't mean to jump forward before the penultimate Tiger Uppercut got me but, at least I got another round in to demonstrate. Still getting used to the stick again. Haven't played in a year or so.

Nicely done Relikk, I'd not seen that tactic before in the arcades...seems to be quite effective! I'll look more in the Shoto too, where's the best place to pick them up?

• Advertisement

I'll look more in the Shoto too, where's the best place to pick them up?

Shotos = Ryu and Ken, as in their Shotokan Karate style. It's just a term used to describe them.

If you already knew that then, apologies. :P

The same strats for CE still apply in HF, obviously CE is easier because it's slower. The newer moves of Chun, Honda and Blanka don't pose that much of a problem. I can consistently get 1,100,000+ points in CE because I know the AI inside out.

Relikk wrote: »
    Shotos = Ryu and Ken, as in their Shotokan Karate style. It's just a term used to describe them.

If you already knew that then, apologies. :P

Ah I see, hadn't heard of them being referred to like that no. I derped there, & thought you were referring to the sticks mentioned beforehand (Sanwa JLF's upon reading back). They seem fairly reasonably priced for premium sticks, though there's a few different model variations (loads of letters after the name etc)...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I must read up on the tactics and AI in sf2ce, its embarrassing getting beaten on my own cab by friends haha. i didnt realize you could learn the patterns in the game.

I must read up on the tactics and AI in sf2ce, its embarrassing getting beaten on my own cab by friends haha. i didnt realize you could learn the patterns in the game.

Here's another one: Against Zangief, hold up permanently to neutral jump. hit hard kick every time. 99% of the time he will just walk into it :)

That one was well known when I was a kid.

Here's another one: Against Zangief, hold up permanently to neutral jump. hit hard kick every time. 99% of the time he will just walk into it :)

Follow that neutral jump hard kick with a sweep and a fireball on wakeup, or another neutral jump hard kick for a dizzy. :P

I still use that :o Seen it in the arcade many, many moons ago!

Another one, when fighting Vega, when the round starts immendiately jump forward towards Vega. When you land, do a dragon punch & it'll nearly always knock him down. Go right over to him & when he's about to stand up, do a hurricane kick (sometimes he blocks it & sometimes he doesn't) & that'll stun him, allowing you to inflict more damage.

Another one, when fighting Vega, when the round starts immendiately jump forward towards Vega. When you land, do a dragon punch & it'll nearly always knock him down. Go right over to him & when he's about to stand up, do a hurricane kick (sometimes he blocks it & sometimes he doesn't) & that'll stun him, allowing you to inflict more damage.

I always jab hadoken straight out, he always jumps back at the beginning of the round, once he lands the fireball is close enough for him to have to jump over it, range a sweep for a knockdown, jump in or tatsu and he backflips most of the time leaving him open for a punish after the backflip ends.

Here's a playthrough I did about an hour ago...

...and I messed up on every character that's been mentioned here so far. :rolleyes: Gief, Sagat and Claw.

Sorry to hijack, by the way. SF2CE and 3rd Strike are my favourite SF games to play and talk about.

Will have a look at that Relikk, cheers :) CE is SO slow compared to HF! How are you recording that btw?

• Advertisement

Watched there, very nicely done. Loving the fierce punch/light dragon punch combo's...used to do them a lot in the Snes days (before mame etc). Some of your techniques are very similar to my own (you fight Bison almost exactly like I do), but some are way different (Balrog & Vega I'd fight very differently). But yeah, nice skillz Relikk :)

Advertisement