Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belfast rape trial - all 4 found not guilty Mod Note post one

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'm sorry but if I knew someone was in a bedroom having sex, I would immediately close the door unless I knew that one of them was in distress of some sort. I think it would be pure creepy if someone looked for that long at me having sex.

Well, it's worth noting that the alleged victim said the other girls were acting "slutty" (her word, not mine) downstairs and so it could be that they were all up for a little action and that that's (partly at least) why Dara went upstairs mooching. Would certainly explain why she didn't immediately close the door when she saw the three having sex and it would also explain why Paddy asked her did she want to join in. The girl's reaction to Dara however (turning her head away etc) maybe made her feel that she wasn't up for her joining in (even if the lads were) and so she left.

Here's a pic from the party for anyone that didn't see it. Was published in a few papers during the week (alleged victim not in it obviously)

pjp1.jpg
    All defendants also claim that they didn't know Dara Florence prior to the night the girl was allegedly raped.

I also find this hard to believe and I think there was collusion here too.

If they knew each other it would have come out by now for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,165 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

And if they just handed out Guilty would you like that for your son ? there were 4 people in the room with the alleged victim. How should the case be handled can you give us a overview of what should happen ? And if it's actually legal.

I said further up that there are no easy answers to any of this. It's can be virtually impossible to convict someone in a 'he says, she says' scenario as there are no witnesses. I haven't suggested at all that Jackson and the others should be found guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

jr86 wrote: »
    The Northern Irish team were out last night...

Disgraceful ratting them out like that. Could have got fines off the IFA for unprofessionalism

What has the Irish farmer's association got to do with anything?
    irishrebe wrote: »
    What's really hilarious to me is how so many men on here view these things as a 'punishment'. Attending consent classes means they are all automatically considered rapists, for example. I had to attend mandatory 'racism awareness' classes when I worked in London. Did I throw my toys out of the pram and tell them to stop accusing me of being racist and stop disrespecting me? Or did I welcome the opportunity to put myself in the shoes of people of other races and consider issues I might not have thought about before as a white person? I know I'm not a racist, so it didn't bother me having to go to that course. But a consent class for a man is assuming that all men are rapists?

Did women have to also attend those same classes? The racism one? And were other races made attend?
    If both men and women had to attend, that would be fine-but too many seem to think it's men only. Consent is down to both men and women-as in clearly stating what you're cool with.
    Well, it's worth noting that the alleged victim said the other girls were acting "slutty" (her word, not mine) downstairs and so it could be that they were all up for a little action and that that's (partly at least) why Dara went upstairs mooching. Would certainly explain why she didn't immediately close the door when she saw the three having sex and it would also explain why Paddy asked her did she want to join in. The girl's reaction to Dara however (turning her head away etc) maybe made her feel that she wasn't up for her joining in (even if the lads were) and so she left.

Here's a pic from the party for anyone that didn't see it. Was published in a few papers during the week (alleged victim not in it obviously)

pjp1.jpg

Possibly-but then again, one could argue they were barely acquaintances-all involved have locked their twitter accounts.

What does show a level of narcissism of those involved was Florence 'delight' at the picture taken.

https://twitter.com/MariaGallagher_/status/979036629074620416

I can only speak for myself, but even far younger than they are now, I was more responsible. And I am not the only one. I don't think they quite understood the seriousness of the crime-more like they enjoyed the limelight.
    Definitely a few hangers on there.

I would question the sobriety of so many involved too. Many have speculated the deleted texts related to substances that were less than legal. (Even the photo posted of McIllroy hints at something--'pay attention to his nose-hint hint'.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

bebeman wrote: »
    The woman heard moans of pleasure and then opened the door , then she was asked if she would like to join in, she declined
    Never head of a rapist asking a woman if she would like to join in!

She actual specifically said she did not hear sensual moaning but a loud aggressive male moan.

She said she was 100% sure she saw PaddY Jackson having sex with the woman at the time though Paddy Jackson denies having sex with her at all.

And yes indeed to your second point, that's really the crux of it, because rapists are known to have such a clear sense of what's appropriate and stick so closely to an honour bound code of behaviour. They'd never deviate from what you have seen on the TV... :rolleyes:

There is clutching at straws, and then there is your post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

She actual specifically said she did not hear sensual moaning but a loud aggressive male moan

She never said that in any of the accounts I've read, and I was looking for it, as it's key to the case. She wasn't even sure if the moaning was sexual in nature. You made that up. If you want people who think about things to take you seriously on here, stick to the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

professore wrote: »
    She never said that in any of the accounts I've read, and I was looking for it, as it's key to the case. She wasn't even sure if the moaning was sexual in nature. You made that up. If you want people who think about things to take you seriously on here, stick to the facts.

I most certainly did not make it up. You haven't looked hard enough obviously.

https://imgur.com/a/Ijr0u that's from an article in Fridays independent.

It was read out on either prime time or the Pat Kenny show when someone read from the transcript of the court. In her statement to police she said she heard aggressive moaning and was 100 percent sure she saw Paddy Jackson having sex. In court she called them sexual noises.
    She said she heard moaning, was asked if this was sensual moaning and replied no. She then offered that it was an aggressive male moaning and later in court said it sounded like sex.

Why would go forth and open the door if she thought the sound was just her friend having sex? Her behaviour is much more easily reconciled with her first version of events to police

Perhaps you should take your own advice on making things up just to fill in the blanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/laughter-jeers-and-scoffs-from-public-gallery-at-woman-were-shocking-36761337.html

Disturbing stuff. If nothing else, they could do with making some changes there, for all parties involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

So they are protesting the verdict.

It wasn't a protest. When does a march have to be in protest. People march in the St patricks day parade & its not in protest.

If they wanted to protest I suppose it could be about the vile text messages that these pillars of the community posted about the girl or their attitude & general disrespect towards women.

I did read that it was in support of the woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Strazdas wrote: »
    Not necessarily - I think their argument is more with how the legal system handles rape allegations. They're not saying that the jury itself screwed up with the verdict, more that they don't like the adversarial nature of such trials.

Even if that is what they are claiming though, I'm not sure what the solution to their argument would be or if there is any solution. It's very hard to secure a conviction when there are no witnesses to an incident and it's all 'he says, she says'.

So how should it handle rape alkegations?

What’s your solution and how does it remain fair to the accused?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,211 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Has anyone noted the similarities in this case to that of Brian Murphy? The Club Anabel case I mean?

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the disturbing similarities, and the seeming 'lack of justice'.
    The horrible thing is the guys involved were able to carry on their lives as normal-Murphy's family, unfortunately...were sadly forgotten to the ides of time.

Even the film-'What Richard Did' seemed to try and humanise them, but really what it did was show them to be complete wastes of oxygen.

Except people were found guilty of various crimes in that case and if you believe that they carried on their lives as normal you haven't a clue .

The only similarities is the middle class nature of the accused (and the victims as well) which really seems to titillate the frothing hoard and get their ire up.

There is no one more deserving of hate and judgement than a middle class man it seems especially a young one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

spurious wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/laughter-jeers-and-scoffs-from-public-gallery-at-woman-were-shocking-36761337.html

Disturbing stuff. If nothing else, they could do with making some changes there, for all parties involved.
    From the article;
    An issue in the trial generally was that despite the anonymity of the young girl at the centre of this case, it was possible for anyone to walk in off the street, view the victim on screen, hear her name being spoken openly and leave – disseminating this information widely to others.
    This is quite bizarre; for the general public to see the rape victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It is a protest and it isn't a protest. A march to a Dept of justice because of a case outside of its jurisdiction. Repeal movement getting stuck in for no good reason.

The sheer woolly mindedness of it all boggles.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It wasn't a protest. When does a march have to be in protest. People march in the St patricks day parade & its not in protest.

If they wanted to protest I suppose it could be about the vile text messages that these pillars of the community posted about the girl or their attitude & general disrespect towards women.

I did read that it was in support of the woman.

Frankly sick of this ****e from folks that didn’t like the verdict

Woman’s underwear shown in court: oh that’s disgraceful from the deference. Trying to blacken her character. That doesn’t represent who she is...

Men’s text messages shown in court: scum, clearly they’re misogynists based on this single moment of their lives that’s been presented. Hang them, the bastards.

****ing hypocrisy

the_syco wrote: »
    From the article;

This is quite bizarre; for the general public to see the rape victim.

Tbh looking at the (somewhat better) approach in terms of the south I find it ludicrous that in the UK either the accused or accuser can be identified either formally or by public walk in

spurious wrote: »

Somewhat imbalanced article but it does highlight some areas that the north’s legal system could do with changing nonetheless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,819 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Did many show up Yesterday?
    I didn't really look at it until later in the afternoon and the hashtag wasn't trending as high as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Did many show up Yesterday?
    I didn't really look at it until later in the afternoon and the hashtag wasn't trending as high as it was.

Was in Bobo's having food as I left, a very large crowd were protesting, holding up all the traffic...Saw one "#men r trash"

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Was in Bobo's having food as I left, a very large crowd were protesting, holding up all the traffic...Saw one "#men r trash"
    I bet the organisers of the march heavily cringed when they saw that protester holding up that message- whatever credibility they thought they had with their little hashtag movement got a serious dent when she arrived and held up her cardboard poster.

It was one stupid statement to make, even in private- the fact she made it in public is even more stupid. That image is now there forever more attached to her face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

pjp1.jpg

Wonder which one it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Wonder which one it is?

From what I've heard it's none of them, wrong cup sizes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

So edgy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Makes you think what they were doing there in the first place? Milk and cookies? or a cash settlement :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You claimed to have studied law earlier, why are you giving me legislation from the state of Indiana in the USA?

Was this answered or dodged?

Also, MidlandsApple15 I hope you have a stack of consent forms, a nice quill pen and a few witnesses in your room should I ever be lucky enough to find myself back there.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Except people were found guilty of various crimes in that case and if you believe that they carried on their lives as normal you haven't a clue .

The only similarities is the middle class nature of the accused (and the victims as well) which really seems to titillate the frothing hoard and get their ire up.

There is no one more deserving of hate and judgement than a middle class man it seems especially a young one

Silly Wabbit-no they weren't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Brian_Murphy

Any and all convictions were overturned on appeal. Nobody went to prison. (Only one person was ever convicted of anything-and he had it overturned the following year, on appeal).

And in that case, the hatred was deserved (the Brian Murphy case I mean). No convictions, a collusion regarding evidence-and some of them can be found on facebook.

Noveight wrote: »
    I've been scrolling through them for the past 20 minutes. Every third or fourth Tweet is similar to that one, firing the word "rapist" around at the rate of 90.

I'd love to see a heap of them taken to the cleaners.

For a good wash, most of them look like triggered scruffs

It is a protest and it isn't a protest. A march to a Dept of justice because of a case outside of its jurisdiction. Repeal movement getting stuck in for no good reason.

The sheer woolly mindedness of it all boggles.

Quelle suprise. Absolute rent-a-mob. Same for the Marriage Ref. They just have to be seen to be active instead of just exercising their civic duty to vote. FWIW, I voted yes in the MarRef and I will be voting to repeal but these absolute loons would make you almost resent it at times. They’re the worst. They’ll possibly sway people who are on the fence the truth be told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

degsie wrote: »
    I detect a hint xenophobia in that comment.
    Not my problem if you don't understand the the words you are using. I suggest a dictionary.
    Well convicting more rapists above the 6/7% rate we are currently achieving would be a start...that is 6/7% of REPORTED Rapes/sexual assaults....we should be prepared if we can convince the many more women who have suffered in silence for that rate to get worse before it gets better....

There is a good chance there is about 100 rapes/serious sexual assaults in this country every week....locking up 6/7 rapists a week is nowhere near good enough...
    And this is the crux of it. Your solution is just convict more men. Would you prefer Salem approach or maybe the recent breathalyzer effort?
    _Dara_ wrote: »
    Greebo, read my posts. I DON’T agree with these protests and I AGREED with the verdict. I made a heavily-thanked post on the first page of this thread that says so.

The post you quoted there was me addressing the whataboutery of people bringing up Muslim gangs in the UK and why people aren’t protesting that. I don’t agree with these protests but whataboutery like that is moronic.

You know how to read threads, right?
    I do thanks. The posted implied that the 4 men in this case were not brought to justice, just because they were not convicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I bet the organisers of the march heavily cringed when they saw that protester holding up that message- whatever credibility they thought they had with their little hashtag movement got a serious dent when she arrived and held up her cardboard poster.

It was one stupid statement to make, even in private- the fact she made it in public is even more stupid. That image is now there forever more attached to her face.

If I ever ended up interviewing the woman who held up that 'men r trash' sign I would never give her a job. Crap like that is completely unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Read your post again...

More like 100 women wake up and decide retrospectively that they have been raped...implies explicitly that the 100 women in this country (50 of whom will report the crime to the gardai*) are all making it up....

You are a right charmer you are!!

*Those who do report a rape, are subjected to a very invasive body exam, very often miles away from home.

You are right, we should just accept the accusations without obtaining any evidence from the alleged victim. Lock up those men!

According to the news papers,it's a sure thing that the two guys careers in sport are, at least in Ireland, are done.

http://www.swaab.com.au/Publications/Publications/Who-really-brings-the-game-into-disrepute

The following article covers what I've found is pretty much across the board for most sports councils, in that you don't need to have a conviction, or for someone to be brought to court to be found have brought the sport into disrepute.

Media attention can contribute to it, as well, unfortunately. As the article noted, even the injuries alone, (whether consensual or not) to the girl, are another factor that can contribute to their contracts being terminated.

With Jackson, he's already stuffed up before-the 'blacking up' incident being the main one. This looks to be the nail in his Irish career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

I'm not a legal expert . . . . but I would imagine that the IRFU IF they decide to terminate the contract then it would be a significant pay off to Paddy Jackson as he didn't intentionally bring them into disrepute.

If they suggest he through negligence or reckless behaviour he could argue that he was carrying out a private act in privacy of his own home and whatsapp conversations with close friends - which would not have got out into the public domain only for the allegations that were made.

I'm not a legal expert . . . . but I would imagine that the IRFU IF they decide to terminate the contract then it would be a significant pay off to Paddy Jackson as he didn't intentionally bring them into disrepute.

If they suggest he through negligence or reckless behaviour he could argue that he was carrying out a private act in privacy of his own home and whatsapp conversations with close friends - which would not have got out into the public domain only for the allegations that were made.

Possible-and again, I'm not a legal expert either-have a few books on it tho (recommended by a friend-because often need to know stuff regarding renting and so on).
    Again tho, they could argue media coverage comes with being the spotlight and playing for Ireland. For instance, the 'blackface' incident was also private, but was put on social media-similar to whatsapp-and then landed him in the media for all the wrong reasons. Like the link notes that intention or not doesn't matter. I mean, look at the Laois player who was dropped because of a tweet. He essentially sent it out privately, but it got into the media domain, and he was dropped. Ditto a Drogheda Utd player.
    Patrick George in his paper 'Sport in Disrepute' Australian and New Zealand Sports Law Journal (2009) 4(1) 24, discusses the case of Zubkov v FINA [2007] CAS 2007/A/1291, where a Ukrainian swimming coach, Mykhaylo Zubkov, was charged by FINA (the international governing body of swimming) with bringing the sport of swimming into disrepute after footage was broadcast of Mr Zubkov having a physical altercation with his daughter during a swimming meet in Melbourne in March 2007. Mr Zubkov was originally expelled from his position as coach and barred from reapplying for admission for six years.

On appeal, however, the Court of Arbitration for Sport found that while Mr Zubkov's conduct had been aggressive and violent, there was no evidence to prove that his actions brought the sport of swimming into disrepute. For the sport to be brought into disrepute, the conduct needed to adversely affect the promotion and encouragement of the development of swimming. As a result, Mr Zubkov's ban was reduced to an eight month suspension.

The problem as well is that sponsors dictate the sports too-if they don't want to sponsor Irish Rugby, because of Jackson or the other guy, they won't. So the Irfu could argue to pay him off, cut losses etc-but they could also say 'sling your hook'. Media coverage is one of the things where the sports council can say 'tough luck' and you've no recompense.

Also, in one of the examples given-an athlete got into an altercation with one of his children-and subsequently was banned for 6 years (reduced to 8 months on appeal). No cops were called, no medical treatment sought-but it got out into the mainstream...and that's all she wrote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I'm pretty sure most of these people regard any sex with any sort of rough / dominance / submission type aspects to it, particularly involving a woman in a submissive position, as inherently wrong regardless of consent. They seem to honestly believe that anything other than vanilla sex is probably non consensual. The fact that the term "spit roast" is being cited all over the place as evidence for the fact that these lads are misogynistic assholes, despite the fact that "spit roast" is an extremely common term for the sex act in question, tells us that much - they find the act itself distasteful and this prejudice is informing every assumption they make which follows on from that. I'm pretty sure that in the eyes of these people, there are no circumstances under which a man could take part in a sex act like this as one of the dominant parties, and not be regarded negatively by those folks.

It's similar enough to the Graham Dwyer trial - regardless of the verdict, plenty of people made up their minds that he was a vile person specifically because of the fetishes he had. Even if he hadn't been found guilty of murder, because he was a sexual sadist plenty of people had already decided that he was a scumbag.

The reality is that vanilla sex in the missionary position is simply not something that young people see themselves as being limited by. The fact that the lads were asking if there might have been a possibility of a threesome (which could easily have meant "any chance that the woman would be up for that", and not, as everyone seems to be assuming, "any chance we can just do it regardless") has immediately placed them on the wrong side of "good taste" in a lot of peoples' eyes.

Personally I have a huge, huge problem with this for all sorts of reasons. It's difficult enough for people to come to terms with their non-vanilla sexual kinks, without the added pressure of feeling like society will automatically view them as a monster just because of what they're into, regardless of whether it's consensual or not. There's nothing wrong with group sex, there's nothing wrong with spit roasting, there's nothing wrong with any of this provided that it's consensual. But many voices in the Irish media - for instance, those who are blaming porn on this and questioning sexual morality in general - are, whether openly or not, putting forward the idea that some types of sex are inherently negative or wrong, regardless of consent or enjoyment by all parties.

Personally, I see this as a massive problem. In fact, as a man who happens to be a sexual sub, I actually feel that I have more cultural freedom to be myself and be ok with myself than a sub woman of the same age would, because as a sub guy it's just about me and what I'm into. But for sub women, you get self-styled feminists hinting or openly stating that their kinks are inherently wrong because they reinforce the patriarchy yadda yadda yadda, in other words "what you like in the bedroom is totally irrelevant, because you're part of something bigger and you must behave with the advancement of gender equality in mind in all areas of your life, whether you personally want to or not". It's no different to feminists accusing stay at home mothers of letting down the sisterhood because they're "submitting" to traditional gender roles - the fact that the woman in question might actually enjoy the choices she's made to adhere to that lifestyle is secondary to the idea of collectivism.

Basically, had this case involved vanilla sex in the missionary position, I'd bet my life savings that it wouldn't have garnered nearly as much comment or controversy. The case is attracting such huge attention because in a lot of peoples' eyes, the sex acts in question - consensual or non consensual - were themselves inherently wrong, which makes the lads who enjoyed them inherently bad people - consent be damned.

What a complete load of barking mad nonsense....

The problem I had with the spit roasting, was that my understanding of spit roasting was that it involves two men penetrating a woman simultaneously...one in the form of sex the other in the form of oral sex...I can't understand how the lads boasted about this, yet denied it in court?

Your sex like is your own business....I am baffled why you think you sexual preferences have ANYTHING to do with this thread...

It becomes of public interest when one party to group sex returns home, BLEEDING / BRUISED / TRAUMATISED / UNABLE TO TALK and proceeds to report an incident to the police....it is in the publics interest that anyone who feels they have been a victim to a crime...to report it to the police....

This case was not about consent despite public commentary to the contrary....it was not about a girl who got into a situation and later regretted it....it was one persons account verses 4 very different accounts...

For generations we have seen the damage caused by sweeping problems under the carpet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Possible-and again, I'm not a legal expert either-have a few books on it tho (recommended by a friend-because often need to know stuff regarding renting and so on).
    Again tho,they could argue media coverage comes with being the spotlight and playing for Ireland. For instance, the 'blackface' incident was also private, but was put on social media-similar to whatsapp-and then landed him in the media for all the wrong reasons. Like the link notes that intention or not doesn't matter. I mean, look at the Laois player who was dropped because of a tweet. He essentially sent it out privately, but it got into the media domain, and he was dropped. Ditto a Drogheda Utd player.

The problem as well is that sponsors dictate the sports too-if they don't want to sponsor Irish Rugby, because of Jackson or the other guy, they won't. So the Irfu could argue to pay him off, cut losses etc-but they could also say 'sling your hook'. Media coverage is one of the things where the sports council can say 'tough luck' and you've no recompense.

Also, in one of the examples given-an athlete got into an altercation with one of his children-and subsequently was banned for 6 years (reduced to 8 months on appeal). No cops were called, no medical treatment sought-but it got out into the mainstream...and that's all she wrote.

Yes but the crucial difference would be that that was in a public place - not in what is considered a private act between consenting adults....

This is probably too civil and sensible a discussion to be having on this thread - maybe we should take it to Legal Discussion :(:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

This whole case is now a complete circus.

Paddy Jackson, at best, sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant human being.

The Twitter mob, and the #suemepaddy stuff, are actually making me feel mildly sorry for him in the last couple of days. Nowhere near as sympathetic as I feel for the complainant, but I never thought I’d feel remotely sorry for him whatsoever.

Imagine being held up as the symbol of absolutely everything these so-called feminists despise. Being subjected to an onslaught of horrific online bullying and abuse, from hundreds of thousands of people. Mob rule in its absolute worst form.

I’m aware the complainant has had some horrific stuff said about her too, which is vile- but 99.9% of the population have no idea who she is.

All these rabid imbeciles are going to achieve is anonymity being granted to rape case defendants. How can they not see that? They are building a perfect case for it. They are not achieving anything else whatsoever.

I’m glad they’ve brought my attention to this, because it’s something I, as a woman, would now wholeheartedly support.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭irishrebe

jr86 wrote: »
    The Northern Irish team were out last night...

Disgraceful ratting them out like that. Could have got fines off the IFA for unprofessionalism

What has the Irish farmer's association got to do with anything?
    What's really hilarious to me is how so many men on here view these things as a 'punishment'. Attending consent classes means they are all automatically considered rapists, for example. I had to attend mandatory 'racism awareness' classes when I worked in London. Did I throw my toys out of the pram and tell them to stop accusing me of being racist and stop disrespecting me? Or did I welcome the opportunity to put myself in the shoes of people of other races and consider issues I might not have thought about before as a white person? I know I'm not a racist, so it didn't bother me having to go to that course. But a consent class for a man is assuming that all men are rapists?

Did women have to also attend those same classes?  The racism one? And were other races made attend?
    If both men and women had to attend, that would be fine-but too many seem to think it's men only.  Consent is down to both men and women-as in clearly stating what you're cool with.

pjp1.jpg

Possibly-but then again, one could argue they were barely acquaintances-all involved have locked their twitter accounts.

What does show a level of narcissism of those involved was Florence 'delight' at the picture taken.

https://twitter.com/MariaGallagher_/status/979036629074620416

I can only speak for myself, but even far younger than they are now, I was more responsible. And I am not the only one.  I don't think they quite understood the seriousness of the crime-more like they enjoyed the limelight.
    Definitely a few hangers on there.  

I would question the sobriety of so many involved too. Many have speculated the deleted texts related to substances that were less than legal. (Even the photo posted of McIllroy hints at something--'pay attention to his nose-hint hint'.)
    Yes, of course people of all races were made to attend. It wasn't some sort of punishment for being white any more than consent classes are a punishment for being a man.

Yes but the crucial difference would be that that was in a public place - not in what is considered a private act between consenting adults

https://researchonline.jcu.edu.au/15853/

Ah, well in that case-then there is the argument a charge alone is enough to bring the sport into disrepute.

The Court of Arbitration (CAS) decisions of D'Arcy v Australian Olympic Committee and Jongewaard v Australian Olympic Committee, have meanwhile established that if a competitor is charged with a criminal offence, then this in itself is enough to bring a sport into disrepute, regardless of whether there the competitor is later found guilty or not guilty. These cases would also indicate that the 'bringing the sport into disrepute' clauses in the standard playing contracts in most team sports are valid and allow clubs or sport governing bodies to fine and/or suspend players for off-field indiscretions.

I think Alan Quinlan has said before if players want to avoid situations, such as even autograph signings, then they have to take themselves out of the situations.

GreeBo wrote: »
    You are right, we should just accept the accusations without obtaining any evidence from the alleged victim. Lock up those men!

Greebo...why do you feel so threatened at the suggestion that we need to lock up more rapists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You are assuming it was a premeditated rape...which absolutely nobody believes it was...I do think that none of the lads thought they were doing any wrong at the time...

I'll be willing to bet that you are not familiar with tonic immobilisation either...when a victim freezes and does just enough to survive what they perceive to be a very dangerous situation....

So you are saying there was a threat of violence now?

• Advertisement

So you are saying there was a threat of violence now?

What are you on about?

Shelga wrote: »
    This whole case is now a complete circus.

Paddy Jackson, at best, sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant human being.

The Twitter mob, and the #suemepaddy stuff, are actually making me feel mildly sorry for him in the last couple of days. Nowhere near as sympathetic as I feel for the complainant, but I never thought I’d feel remotely sorry for him whatsoever.

Imagine being held up as the symbol of absolutely everything these so-called feminists despise. Being subjected to an onslaught of horrific online bullying and abuse, from hundreds of thousands of people. Mob rule in its absolute worst form.

I’m aware the complainant has had some horrific stuff said about her too, which is vile- but 99.9% of the population have no idea who she is.

All these rabid imbeciles are going to achieve is anonymity being granted to rape case defendants. How can they not see that? They are building a perfect case for it. They are not achieving anything else whatsoever.

I’m glad they’ve brought my attention to this, because it’s something I, as a woman, would now wholeheartedly support.

I saw one tweeter complaining about the 'harassment' she was getting for saying 'SueMePaddy'....

She then retweeted this. In all seriousness-oh and starts retweeting people she blocked.

https://twitter.com/IzzyKamikaze/status/979790553666801666

What are you on about?

You intimated that the victim had frozen to 'survive what they perceive to be a dangerous situation'.

You intimated that the victim had frozen to 'survive what they perceive to be a dangerous situation'.

Correct....which is what can happen to victims in all sexual assaults/rape....

Very few rapes carry a threat of violence.....doesn't mean that the victim doesn't fear danger....come on...

IrishRebe = hill16Bhoy=Apples15 ????
    Irish Rebe joins Feb 18 and has significant majority of their posts about the rape case only.
    Hill16Bhoy joins March 18 and ALL posts are about the triak
    Apples15 joins March and all bar 3 of their posts are about this trial..

so are they
    a) One and the same person who has created two aliases to try and "back themselves up"
    b) three buddies texting each other to thank each others posts and try and establish a united front?

Was sort of giving the benefit of the doubt to IrishRebe until that ****e about being a legal translator despite the fact that she has a fundamentally flawed concept of the law and quoted US law about drunkenness as opposed to Irish or UK law.
    Hilarious. And you're calling other people loons. You honestly expect someone who is up late and wrecked and falling asleep to spend time finding information for someone too thick or lazy to use google? You're not all there, are you? No worries, I'll do so, and I'll bill you for the time spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

And if they just handed out Guilty would you like that for your son ? there were 4 people in the room with the alleged victim. How should the case be handled can you give us a overview of what should happen ? And if it's actually legal.

Maybe this is a mad idea but would there be any benefit to have four separate court cases ? Would that be fairer at all to the girl as in a one to one rather than four against one? Each defendant had different claims to defend and as witnesses for each other wouldn't have complete knowledge of what each other had said. Might they not be the ones tripping themselves up then ? No ?

• Advertisement

Hilarious. And you're calling other people loons. You honestly expect someone who is up late and wrecked and falling asleep to spend time finding information for someone too thick or lazy to use google? You're not all there, are you? No worries, I'll do so, and I'll bill you for the time spent.

They are also conveniently ignoring the new posters to this site who are on their side of this particular issue...

Correct....which is what can happen to victims in all sexual assaults/rape....

Very few rapes carry a threat of violence.....doesn't mean that the victim doesn't fear danger....come on...

I don't think there was a shred of evidence that claimed there had been a threat of violence.

But well done for getting it into the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

backspin. wrote: »
    If I ever ended up interviewing the woman who held up that 'men r trash' sign I would never give her a job. Crap like that is completely unacceptable.

Doubt she works or ever has

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Maybe this is a mad idea but would there be any benefit to have four separate court cases ? Would that be fairer at all to the girl as in a one to one rather than four against one? Each defendant had different claims to defend and as witnesses for each other wouldn't have complete knowledge of what each other had said. Might they not be the ones tripping themselves up then ? No ?

I did think the withholding information case could have been done separately.

Omackeral wrote: »
    You claimed to have studied law earlier, why are you giving me legislation from the state of Indiana in the USA?

Was this answered or dodged?

Also, MidlandsApple15 I hope you have a stack of consent forms, a nice quill pen and a few witnesses in your room should I ever be lucky enough to find myself back there.
    I literally linked the first post that came up on Google for someone who doesn't seem to think there can be a legal definition of drunk. It's I'm in disbelief that this isn't common sense.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement