Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I've a young Lodge Hamlet bull here. Extremely quiet animal. I expect him to be vertically challenged too. :D
    Heifers by him will be a disaster, I think. Just don't look right from what I've seen of them. No milk either.

How was lodge hamlet to calve? On say your average plain cow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    How was lodge hamlet to calve? On say your average plain cow
    He's easy calving. No worries calving on cows.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Is there any calves on the ground by LM4908? (Dovea)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

It would be highly unlikely, he is new to the ai station, a young bull

rushvalley wrote: »
    Is there any calves on the ground by LM4908? (Dovea)

None up on ICBF anyway.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Our bull has some similar breeding sire side as This bull LM4908 def like the Haltcliffe style. Vantastic on the other end couldn’t be bad would he be hard calving?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

Here's a pic of my Lodge Hamlet bull calf. About 10 days old now. Born smallish but already a bit of shape to him.

How did this lad turn out?

tanko wrote: »
    How did this lad turn out?

Worst one I have. He also got bad mange. I think the mother didnt have enough milk. Maybe that's why. He's healthy enough though, so he may pull away next year. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Massey35x

Hi all. Looking for some advice. Have a heifer I'm hoping to AI next year. She out of rws rosemount cash and a black simmental cow. What bull would you recommend for her. She will be calving at approx. 24 months all going well. I tried to post a picture but seems to be restrictions on new members.

Which Ai company do you use?
    It's hard to look past Ewdenvale Ivor LM2014 from Dovea for heifers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

yes my jackpot heifer calved down to ivor, very handy calf thank god as she wasnt too roomy!

annubis wrote: »
    yes my jackpot heifer calved down to ivor, very handy calf thank god as she wasnt too roomy!

Lovely calves. Had 3 this summer and bulled a good few of the replacements to him. The calves we got were lovely well muscled calves but a bit lively. Dunno would that leave them, the mothers were headstrong too so we sold them on.
    AI man suggested Knell for a few heifers too does anyone know much about him? My man seems to have a lot of bulls that are poor for docility but good every other way. I hate it when you get dry cows doing a dance the moment you put your hand on them. I go in a couple of times every day and they're still very nervous but in another fortnight or so they should be calmer. Always a fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Massey35x

I haven't used an AI bull before. I will check him out thanks. As far as know the local technician covers most of the companies. There does seem to be a lot of conflicting information around.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Lovely calves. Had 3 this summer and bulled a good few of the replacements to him. The calves we got were lovely well muscled calves but a bit lively. Dunno would that leave them, the mothers were headstrong too so we sold them on.
    AI man suggested Knell for a few heifers too does anyone know much about him? My man seems to have a lot of bulls that are poor for docility but good every other way. I hate it when you get dry cows doing a dance the moment you put your hand on them. I go in a couple of times every day and they're still very nervous but in another fortnight or so they should be calmer. Always a fight!
    this is my first one, he is very small now and was fairly weak calf, his mother isnt over blessed with milk but anyway he seems to be grand so sure will see how he goes, i like eby i have to say, have always had good cattle off him here and all have been quiet so far, have too nice pb limo heifers off him that i have kept on, they are quiet anyway whatever way they will be for milk
    i have 1 zxt heifer calf this year as well, particularly easy calved and turning into a real nice heifer, i think he could be gone now though

annubis wrote: »
    this is my first one, he is very small now and was fairly weak calf, his mother isnt over blessed with milk but anyway he seems to be grand so sure will see how he goes, i like eby i have to say, have always had good cattle off him here and all have been quiet so far, have too nice pb limo heifers off him that i have kept on, they are quiet anyway whatever way they will be for milk
    i have 1 zxt heifer calf this year as well, particularly easy calved and turning into a real nice heifer, i think he could be gone now though

I’ll be keeping next year’s calves off Ivor anyhow so will have him home tested a bit better. I really like eby too. What do you do with the pb ones?

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I’ll be keeping next year’s calves off Ivor anyhow so will have him home tested a bit better. I really like eby too. What do you do with the pb ones?
    only have a few, sell the odd bull from home, have kept on the heifers

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    He is shapey but I’m not sure how much he will grow up:D. I get a photo tomorrow.

Did you get a pic of that lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Crap no.......another job for the Xmas :D
    Will get one over the next few days.

Hi anyone use dromanig king from Dovea? Thanks, Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I raised the same question some time ago but got no response.
    I see that for Docility he has gone down from 5 Star in ICBF figures in Sept 2019 to 3 Star in November 2019 figures.
    Hard to understand such a decline in two months....Left wondering just how accurate are these figures?

• Advertisement

I see that for Docility he has gone down from 5 Star in ICBF figures in Sept 2019 to 3 Star in November 2019 figures.
    Hard to understand such a decline in two months....Left wondering just how accurate are these figures?

There was only 9 offspring in the Sept 2019 figures. Up to 58 calves in the Nov figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Have one off him here.... decent middle of the road calf should be a good 18 month store to sell

Have two cows incalf to him here, his calving difficulty is creeping up all the time, it might end up over 7%. He has a skeletal figure of 117, i'd imagine his calves may be fairly big framed at birth.
    His sire Cerberus has a really bad figure for docility maybe that's coming out in his calves.

Born 16th March. Dam by abi. 5 star terminal across the breed. Not the tallest. Weaned since end of November and on nuts now. Reasonable muscle. Will have to de-horn him, my back wasn’t great last spring to do it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

He is a beaut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

Born 16th March. Dam by abi. 5 star terminal across the breed. Not the tallest. Weaned since end of November and on nuts now. Reasonable muscle. Will have to de-horn him, my back wasn’t great last spring to do it.:(
    nice shapely calf, what’s the docility like?

High bike wrote: »
    nice shapely calf, what’s the docility like?

Thanks, No issue with docility, he stood for a number of photos aswell and could not have given a toss. No problem moving him etc. Dam is quite though but like all lims prefers to be called rather than driven if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

Thanks, No issue with docility, he stood for a number of photos aswell and could not have given a toss. No problem moving him etc. Dam is quite though but like all lims prefers to be called rather than driven if you know what I mean.
    i know exactly what u mean,have an Altea heifer due to him end of Jan and she a bit flighty just wondering what to expect

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Durrus Boy

Not sure if this was asked before, but has anyone calves off Tomschoice Jet??
    His milk figures have caught my eye. Any issues calving at 7.3%?
    Edit: Just noticed his skeletal score, any issues with height?

Cheers...

• Advertisement

Lm2014 pbr bull out of dancer dam showing some promise.

Advertisement