Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The show calf game is the biggest Pyramid scheme going.

Ah but it's great while it's there, for me I can sell stock and buyers can see stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭squinn2912

The reason I say that is that like any pyramid scheme it’s based on the idea of “if you buy what I have you can be rich like me”. The lads at the top make money but the masses below lose their shirt chasing a dream.

I totally agree with you I’m not arguing. It’s a cloud floating around based on a myth. These big outfits propping each other up to buy animals at a ransom and then the small man gets fooled into giving way over the odds. Prices like that you wouldn’t get for pedigree stock you’d think they were buying fur coats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The "I buy you stock and you buy mine" still goes on in the pedigree game.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Anyone know what part of the country the €4750 heifer went to?

She would be a cheap heifer if she looses the calf. Utter madness and all for to drive lads mad to buy them.

The "I buy you stock and you buy mine" still goes on in the pedigree game.

Of course it does. In fact, it goes on with every type of stock. I saw an agent a few weeks ago buying and selling 25-30 animals. When one he was selling went on the market he threw on half a dozen bids himself. You couldn’t be up to people.

But as much as it goes on with all cattle it’s got to be rife with these flecked show ones. When they’re not a fad anymore what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

It's a hobby for lads. Don't be trying to make sense of it all through normal farming logic.
    Always makes me laugh of how upset people get every year when these sales take place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

It's a hobby for lads. Don't be trying to make sense of it all through normal farming logic.
    Always makes me laugh of how upset people get every year when these sales take place.

Well said. I'd a friend who bought a time trial bike for €3500, easily justified it by saying he never went to Oz drinking pints and chasing women like every one else.

Ai man coming in half an hour to serve two lim heifers. Just over the 400kgs so not big girls. Any recommendations for what to put in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Seanhorse91

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Ai man coming in half an hour to serve two lim heifers. Just over the 400kgs so not big girls. Any recommendations for what to put in them?

Moondharrig knell lm4217 if munster, ewendale ivor lm2014 if with dovea

• Advertisement

Is LM2014 still available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

Is LM2014 still available?

Did something happen to him?

Simmental. wrote: »
    Did something happen to him?

I thought someone said on here before that he was gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

That turned out to be wrong at the time, he was available in June anyway.
    His docility figure on ICBF isn't good, are his calves a bit lively?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

What did you decide in the end squinn2912?

I'm a bit late to the party but not seen a bad KZH calf yet.

Meant to post this earlier, but can't link Twitter off the phone.
    Under serious pressure with the calf (s) in her when she lies down. Poor lass.
    https://twitter.com/LadyHaywire/status/1197194431641870336

I have a cow like that when she was incalf to a char. Once I switched to Limosuin on her, she has being fine since. She's 15 years old now, so can't complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

tanko wrote: »

1 calf here, a whopper but lively

Just seeing this now. And what d’ya know 2xIvor and 1xKnell. Not that pushed on docility score of knell hope they don’t end up crazies

Now just noticing all the other replies. Phone didn’t notify me. Thanks guys. My Ai man loves Ivor. Knell worries me a little but then so did Bollide and that wee heifer is bulled now. My policy is not to go lim ai as we have a lim bull (most of these heifers his daughters so soon a new issue) but nothing sells like it or ch in our area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Who2

Just seeing this now. And what d’ya know 2xIvor and 1xKnell. Not that pushed on docility score of knell hope they don’t end up crazies

Now just noticing all the other replies. Phone didn’t notify me. Thanks guys. My Ai man loves Ivor. Knell worries me a little but then so did Bollide and that wee heifer is bulled now. My policy is not to go lim ai as we have a lim bull (most of these heifers his daughters so soon a new issue) but nothing sells like it or ch in our area
    I’ve a heifer off bolide here, coming 12 months and I wouldn’t be impressed with her temperament. As for Charolais they sell well anywhere it’s a pity they aren’t a bit tougher as calves.

Who2 wrote: »
    I’ve a heifer off bolide here, coming 12 months and I wouldn’t be impressed with her temperament. As for Charolais they sell well anywhere it’s a pity they aren’t a bit tougher as calves.

Yea our wee girl is a lovely one and panics a bit when cornered but she’s grand. I find all parthanese dislike handling or being annoyed they’re very irritable. Make good wee cows though.
    Ah I know that about the Charolais of course. My point is that outside of lim, ch and maybe a bb you don’t get much here round the ring

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

I have a ped bull off him 11 months old he used to be going around the field bawling during the summer I thought not good, but sence he went in he is a pet no problem scratching him in the pin on his own just stands their.

• Advertisement

How in the name of God can a bull drop from -1.70Kg milk at 97% Rel to -3.00kg at 98% in just 2 months. The mighty ZAG folks. What he hell is going on here?
    It looks like his daughters are just calving down now. Just prooves that they can tell fook all from the Genomics testing.

Apologies if this has already been covered but I’ve been advised to stay clear of Lodge Hamlet. Calves meant to be stone wild. Any experience that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Apologies if this has already been covered but I’ve been advised to stay clear of Lodge Hamlet. Calves meant to be stone wild. Any experience that?

I only have the one.....no issue with temperament....a lot of pedigree breeders using him and again I have not heard of any issue

He has a very good score for docility on ICBF.
    Lm2014 has a very poor score for docility on there.
    I've no calves off either yet.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I only have the one.....no issue with temperament....a lot of pedigree breeders using him and again I have not heard of any issue

What age is yours, what do you think of Lodge Hamlet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

What age is yours, what do you think of Lodge Hamlet?

He is shapey but I’m not sure how much he will grow up:D. I get a photo tomorrow.

He has a very good score for docility on ICBF.
    Lm2014 has a very poor score for docility on there.
    I've no calves off either yet.

Yea I can see into that. I’d some very jumpy calves but I think they’d have come, I sold them. No hamlet here

I've a young Lodge Hamlet bull here. Extremely quiet animal. I expect him to be vertically challenged too. :D
    Heifers by him will be a disaster, I think. Just don't look right from what I've seen of them. No milk either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I've a young Lodge Hamlet bull here. Extremely quiet animal. I expect him to be vertically challenged too. :D
    Heifers by him will be a disaster, I think. Just don't look right from what I've seen of them. No milk either.

Talk cow with lots of milk needed so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Would there be a little bit of something else in his back ground to make him small!!!!

• Advertisement

Would there be a little bit of something else in his back ground to make him small!!!!

That's what I think too. The heifers I saw look like bb' s anyway.
    His myostatin status is nt821/+. All the belgian blues are nt821/nt821.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

If you search #lodgehamlet into Instagram theres some serious stock, mainly English.

Talk cow with lots of milk needed so

I'd say you'd need a Holstein cow to have a Lodge Hamlet daughter with any milk.
    I noticed today that the sires of Gamin (ZGM) and Loyal (LM4184) are full brothers.

I'd say you'd need a Holstein cow to have a Lodge Hamlet daughter with any milk.
    I noticed today that the sires of Gamin (ZGM) and Loyal (LM4184) are full brothers.

Is it not Rocky (rox) and Loyal?

Rocky and Laurel have the same sire, Jacot.

Rocky and Laurel have the same sire, Jacot.

Sorry, misread what you said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

anyone have any cows/heifers by netherhall jackpot, ive one not a iliion miles from calving..doesnt look like she is going to have much milk:(

annubis wrote: »
    anyone have any cows/heifers by netherhall jackpot, ive one not a iliion miles from calving..doesnt look like she is going to have much milk:(

Looking at his breeding he's very poor for milk, he looks like a hard calved muscle machine.
    What's the mother off, any milk coming from that side?
    Might be no harm to have some biestings handy if there's nothing there for the calf when it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Who2

Anyone any experience with tomschoice jet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

Looking at his breeding he's very poor for milk, he looks like a hard calved muscle machine.
    What's the mother off, any milk coming from that side?
    Might be no harm to have some biestings handy if there's nothing there for the calf when it arrives.
    big panda cow, ya pretty good for milk, jackpot stars changed totally from ai ing time to when this lady arrived and yes definitely hard calved, wouldnt use again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

How was lodge hamlet to calve? On say your average plain cow

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    How was lodge hamlet to calve? On say your average plain cow
    He's easy calving. No worries calving on cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Is there any calves on the ground by LM4908? (Dovea)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Baalbec10

It would be highly unlikely, he is new to the ai station, a young bull

rushvalley wrote: »
    Is there any calves on the ground by LM4908? (Dovea)

None up on ICBF anyway.

• Advertisement

Our bull has some similar breeding sire side as This bull LM4908 def like the Haltcliffe style. Vantastic on the other end couldn’t be bad would he be hard calving?

Here's a pic of my Lodge Hamlet bull calf. About 10 days old now. Born smallish but already a bit of shape to him.

How did this lad turn out?

How did this lad turn out?

Worst one I have. He also got bad mange. I think the mother didnt have enough milk. Maybe that's why. He's healthy enough though, so he may pull away next year. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Massey35x

Hi all. Looking for some advice. Have a heifer I'm hoping to AI next year. She out of rws rosemount cash and a black simmental cow. What bull would you recommend for her. She will be calving at approx. 24 months all going well. I tried to post a picture but seems to be restrictions on new members.

Which Ai company do you use?
    It's hard to look past Ewdenvale Ivor LM2014 from Dovea for heifers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement