Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashling Thompson case

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

skallywag wrote: »
    She already had a story with her stellar performances and things she won for Cork boy.

She has two careers now pal, and good luck to her.

Sometimes I'm embarrassed for some men..looks has nothing to do with what she did.....
    Nobody has said looks are relevant to her guilt. Some people are just saying that she's hot.

Nobody was going around implying that women are imbeciles, or calling them embarrassing, when they lost their collective sh1t over "Hot Felon" Jeremy Meeks. People comment on attractiveness. Get over it?

220px-Jeremy_Meeks_Mug_Shot.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

skallywag wrote: »
    She already had a story with her stellar performances and things she won for Cork boy.

And if yer one (pic above) didn't come over to interrupt her talking to the lad, maybe in about 20 years time Cork would have a serious hurler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

gctest50 wrote: »
    And if yer one (pic above) didn't come over to interrupt her talking to the lad, maybe in about 20 years time Cork would have a serious hurler

If you crossed her with Teddy Mac we'd have some ultimate hurling machine. Another very nasty person by any measure. That's another tale though I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Nobody has said looks are relevant to her guilt. Some people are just saying that she's hot.

Nobody was going around implying that women are imbeciles, or calling them embarrassing, when they lost their collective sh1t over "Hot Felon" Jeremy Meeks. People comment on attractiveness. Get over it?

You're right, no one said her looks are relative to the crime. But it is a huge reason she is in the paper and being given the opportunity to give a sob story and dress up like a sad princess. That, and her athletic achievements.

I feel like this thread is a lot of people missing fairly obvious points.

Her sentence was actually quite fair - she was fined far more than a usual minor assault/nightclub swedge fine would usually be a first offender, but got to keep the conviction off her record. Fair trade.

BUT, being given special treatment by the media with a PR stunt glamour shoot interview thingy in a national paper to try and repair your reputation is something that most people who give out dirty digs on a night out would NEVER get. And people are rightly disgusted and fed up with someone being given special treatment because they are good looking or a star athlete.

Anyone else, it would be a short paragraph in the courts section and thats it, and you would just think, what a scumbag. There would be no 'comeback story' for them, even if they actually did something to turn their lives around, besides move back home with mummy and daddy, get tarted up for a photoshoot and hatch a plan to run off to Oz which is all she's done.

• Advertisement

Y
    BUT, being given special treatment by the media with a PR stunt glamour shoot interview thingy in a national paper to try and repair your reputation is something that most people who give out dirty digs on a night out would NEVER get. And people are rightly disgusted and fed up with someone being given special treatment because they are good looking or a star athlete.

Anyone else, it would be a short paragraph in the courts section and thats it, and you would just think, what a scumbag.
    THat's all true. But you're accusing people of missing the obvious points when you might be missing the obvious corollary of what you are saying.

Just as Thompson has been given special treatment in the media, so too did her crime achieve disproportionately huge coverage in the national press, and she has been lambasted, and made into a sexual object, in all social platforms, including this one.

So it's swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭lukin

She is not actually that good looking without makeup.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Nah not buying that. What she is and who she is and what she is coming out with is swinging peoples opinion.

Now had she been a nobody very few would blink an eye on topic again. She deserves another chance imo,

But

She has thrown herself all over a paper again, all nicely dressed up, playing the whole Mental Health BS, while also trying maybe wig herself into some shoots for future again. She is using her imagine and it will sway some and most likely enough in the future when it blows away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Judges can often get a little woozy over attractive young women to the extent that it affects their judgement unfortunately. A strong case for good representation of women on the bench, or at least cold showers in the judge's chambers.
    Remember the story a few months ago of this English woman who was caught with €90,000 worth of stolen jewelry? She got a female judge though so I don’t know if it had any effect, she will find out her punishment next week. She turned up to court dressed like this!

EEN%20KIELY%20390428699.jpg

EEN%20KIELY%20290428698.jpg

Ah.. you've got to appreciate the neck on her..and her chest..

Seriously though, if I ever find myself hearing this one going on about mental health on RTE, that will be it..I will no longer illegally stream anything from RTE ever again..

• Advertisement

Nah not buying that. What she is and who she is and what she is coming out with is swinging peoples opinion.

Now had she been a nobody very few would blink an eye on topic again. She deserves another chance imo,

But

She has thrown herself all over a paper again, all nicely dressed up, playing the whole Mental Health BS, while also trying maybe wig herself into some shoots for future again. She is using her imagine and it will sway some and most likely enough in the future when it blows away
    You said "nah not buying that" and then went off on a totally different tangent.

Do you not see that if she were an ordinary Josephine Public, her crime would never have reached the national press, and almost nobody would even remember it except for the woman she hurt, and a small local community?

The national attention given to her crime was totally disproportionate to the harm caused. Some of the comments here, and on other platforms, are disgusting. So what if she tries to counter that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

She thinks, and she may be right, that you are automatically a hero if you say you have have struggled with depression or other mental health issues.
    This is bringing it a bit too far though, thinking it’s enough to mention such issues and a tragedy years ago, to explain away two assaults.
    Disgraceful cynicism and does nothing to promote positive mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

can we all agree now that the apparent "stigma" around mental health is bollox? Every celebrity worth their salt uses their breakdowns as currency. Half the people i work with are on SSRIs and/or in CBT and its as usual a part of the conversation as what they did on the weekend. Most popular TV shows involves someone weeping uncontrollably about something utterly trivial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

This jumped up thug should have done time.Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Talking about your struggles with mental health is the first step of the celebrity circuit after your initial fame was evaporated, next step is a cookbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

can we all agree now that the apparent "stigma" around mental health is bollox? Every celebrity worth their salt uses their breakdowns as currency. Half the people i work with are on SSRIs and/or in CBT and its as usual a part of the conversation as what they did on the weekend. Most popular TV shows involves someone weeping uncontrollably about something utterly trivial.

There is actually no stigma at all. The "stigma" that people talk about is actually just talking and not doing anything to help people who are suffering. In fact actively not helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Lillyfae wrote: »
    There is actually no stigma at all. The "stigma" that people talk about is actually just talking and not doing anything to help people who are suffering. In fact actively not helping.

Its real basic stuff mental health associations use, like talk about it, real 101 stuff, (talking about it is a key gateway step, but so much more to it) which unfortunately misses the whole point , is there a stigma of course there is, a real stigma to mental health issues, trust me , what we have in Ireland is utterly mainstream well meaning celebrity based rubbish which they are allowed to get with as the average person knows very little about it

There will be more stories of financial irregularities like Console breaking within the next 12-18 months, its all about money and neither the proper stories or people are been talked about unfortunately in my opinion. Outside of the mainstream mental health claptrap being talked about in Ireland are stories that could actually save lives

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This jumped up thug should have done time.Simple as.

In fairness, if everyone who threw a dig on a night out did time, we'd need a whole lot more prisons. It's a pretty ridiculous suggestion.

This is not to excuse her scummy behaviour or to condone the article making her out to be the victim.

If you or a loved was assaulted by a scumbag for no good reason you'd want revenge in due process.Fists and elbows can be deadly weapons as well.Anyway I think we're overdue a new prison in this country in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you or a loved was assaulted by a scumbag for no good reason you'd want revenge in due process.Fists and elbows can be deadly weapons as well.Anyway I think we're overdue a new prison in this country in fairness.

You are right.
    If someone punched me in the face, I might well want to see the perpetrator see the inside of a prison but that doesn't mean that they would.
    Are you singling out AT for special treatment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

Autecher wrote: »
    Remember the story a few months ago of this English woman who was caught with €90,000 worth of stolen jewelry? She got a female judge though so I don’t know if it had any effect, she will find out her punishment next week. She turned up to court dressed like this!

EEN%20KIELY%20390428699.jpg

EEN%20KIELY%20290428698.jpg

But at least she does it class. Ashling couldn’t pull that off.

Odelay wrote: »
    But at least she does it class. Ashling couldn’t pull that off.
    That is true, she also took the time to pose for the cameras after her court case too unlike Ms. Thompson.

A very classy lady indeed.

EEN%20KIELY%20190428697.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Too right OP, I was absolutely staggered reading poor little Ashlings comments in the papers yesterday.

How dare she wail on about the hardships she has to endure after elbowing an innocent person in the face and fracturing their jaw on a night out for no reason at all?

That's knacker carry on so she has a deserved reputation now as a Scumbag for life - Now we can add to that that she has no moral compass even in hindsight and over the passage of a lot of time when you might think it might have eventually dawned on her.

I suspect also that she'll start on the wrong person at some point over the next few years and they'll put her empty little head through all four walls in the pub....Maybe then she'll begin to feel a bit empathetic around the whole grim area of drunken assaults.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

If you came across as sorry and humble about the incident people may have given her a chance but no apology and the cockiness of ‘oh just pay the money’

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You said "nah not buying that" and then went off on a totally different tangent.

Do you not see that if she were an ordinary Josephine Public, her crime would never have reached the national press, and almost nobody would even remember it except for the woman she hurt, and a small local community?

The national attention given to her crime was totally disproportionate to the harm caused. Some of the comments here, and on other platforms, are disgusting. So what if she tries to counter that?

Am ya I said that

Unless you are naive to think she is not doing it to get herself out there, try clear her name up a bit, and down the line get her fashion and media road show back up and running when it all cool down

I'm not sure which comments you find disgusting? The ones about her looks or her actions or both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

This part is really disgusting;

“If paid it will disappear. No convictions. It disappears in to a fog. There is no probation act. No strike out. It can only re entered if the money is not paid.”

If you are wealthy, you can get away with it. If you are poor, you are to be processed and we will destroy your life. The judge is a scumbag.

You are right.
    If someone punched me in the face, I might well want to see the perpetrator see the inside of a prison but that doesn't mean that they would.
    Are you singling out AT for special treatment?

No I just think her and her ilk should be punished due accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, a female physiotherapist got a suspended sentence yesterday for glassing a woman. Now if you want to get outraged, that might be something to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Odelay wrote: »
    But at least she does it class.
    Autecher wrote: »
    A very classy lady indeed.

Ye need to get out more.

Thighs on her a 6 month old Tit fed Holstein would be proud of.

• Advertisement

Ye need to get out more.

Thighs on her a 6 month old Tit fed Holstein would be proud of.
    Twas sarcasm my friend ;)

Advertisement