Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashling Thompson case

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Do you think a dog bites once? I would guess there are a few other incidents swept under the carpet by the GAA/AGS, out of court settlements and what not. Once her time is up with the team she is going to be a terror to deal with.

A lot of settled cases in the past 10 years with well known GAA players, if it was to come out (and I'm not saying that it should by any means, not going to name them here either) people would be really shocked!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

CorkFenian wrote: »
    A lot of settled cases in the past 10 years with well known GAA players, if it was to come out (and I'm not saying that it should by any means, not going to name them here either) people would be really shocked!!!

Are we really doing them a favour by shielding them from reality and tolerating this sort of behaviour? If they had to face up to it earlier and deal with it they would be better role models in society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

So you assault 2 people no jail time no conviction how is that even possible?

sasta le wrote: »

I would say this could have happened before. This time she picked on the wrong girls. Girls who had a bit of education AND money to pursue a conviction and kept on to the Gardai. She finally messed with the wrong girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,761 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd imagine that this happens on a daily basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭lukin

CorkFenian wrote: »

Yes this is true. There have been incidents in the past where the Gardai have looked the other way in cases of assault where the perpetrator has been a high profile GAA player. It's happened in Cork loads of times and I'm sure in other counties too.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

it happens outside of GAA too, I was assaulted in a nightclub a good few years back by a locally well known son of horse trainer, i came under serious pressure to drop the case from his family , the guards were more than happy to stand aside if i went that route despite taking a statement from me and the bouncers who witnessed the attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

it happens outside of GAA too, I was assaulted in a nightclub a good few years back by a locally well known son of horse trainer, i came under serious pressure to drop the case from his family , the guards were more than happy to stand aside if i went that route despite taking a statement from me and the bouncers who witnessed the attack

Or any well established figure. A family member was once seriously assaulted by a local business figure. The management of the bar in which it occurred protected him and the Gardai worked with them to make sure the case went nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Autecher wrote: »
    Remember the story a few months ago of this English woman who was caught with €90,000 worth of stolen jewelry? She got a female judge though so I don’t know if it had any effect, she will find out her punishment next week. She turned up to court dressed like this!

EEN%20KIELY%20390428699.jpg

EEN%20KIELY%20290428698.jpg

This woman got a 2 year suspended sentence. She had the good sense to dress a bit more appropriately for court this time...
    9%20NEWS%20KATHLEEN%20KIELY%204.jpg
    image.jpg

Autecher wrote: »
    This woman got a 2 year suspended sentence. She had the good sense to dress a bit more appropriately for court this time...
    9%20NEWS%20KATHLEEN%20KIELY%204.jpg
    image.jpg

Classy Burd!. Are those thread marks on her left leg?

• Advertisement

Start calling these c nuts out so on social media and locally ruin them

A former Kerry player was in court as a trainee guard and got not guilty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

You obviously have no concept of the law. Have you read a newspaper court section in the last, I dunno, 20 years? Have you read the details of this case?

She is a first time offender. No injuries requiring medical attention. Why would you think she would get jail time? That doesn't happen even in worse cases most times.

Her fine was astronomical compared to what people usually are made to pay for throwing a fee slaps on a night out. And that is how she avoided a conviction - money.

I've read of far worse assaults and the fine wasnt even 4 figures.

And people saying, 'OMG she's gonna do it again and terrorize the whole county when she's done playing!' Jesus christ what an overreaction. When you're done clutching your pearls you'll realize she isn't the female version of the Joker. She is just a person who alcohol doesn't suit: loads of them around. Her fiery nature that makes her a good athlete isn't a good mix with booze. And she learned that the hard way. The very hard way. Loads of people get in fights drunk and tossed from clubs, and it isn't national news.

I dont think her whole fashion shoot comeback story that didn't contain any apology cast her in a good light at all. It was pretty dumb. So was what she did in the club.

But lads, in this country we are encouraged at every turn to go on the lash. It is expected of everyone, and athletes have to abstain for long periods when training, which just encourages a binge when they can finally let loose. And alcohol causes the majority of A and E visits, ask any nurse. It's not just Aishling, alcohol lowers people's inhibitions and is very addictive. If you're the type who can stop after a few, and who never acts the maggot after too many then fair play to ya. But not everyone can.

She's not a monster just because she can't handle the poison that we as a nation inexplicably continue to base our entire culture on, despite the fact it ruins families and communities and is a factor in huge amounts of suicides, assaults, road deaths etc.

You obviously have no concept of the law. Have you read a newspaper court section in the last, I dunno, 20 years? Have you read the details of this case?

She is a first time offender. No injuries requiring medical attention. Why would you think she would get jail time? That doesn't happen even in worse cases most times.

Her fine was astronomical compared to what people usually are made to pay for throwing a fee slaps on a night out. And that is how she avoided a conviction - money.

I've read of far worse assaults and the fine wasnt even 4 figures.

And people saying, 'OMG she's gonna do it again and terrorize the whole county when she's done playing!' Jesus christ what an overreaction. When you're done clutching your pearls you'll realize she isn't the female version of the Joker. She is just a person who alcohol doesn't suit: loads of them around. Her fiery nature that makes her a good athlete isn't a good mix with booze. And she learned that the hard way. The very hard way. Loads of people get in fights drunk and tossed from clubs, and it isn't national news.

I dont think her whole fashion shoot comeback story that didn't contain any apology cast her in a good light at all. It was pretty dumb. So was what she did in the club.

But lads, in this country we are encouraged at every turn to go on the lash. It is expected of everyone, and athletes have to abstain for long periods when training, which just encourages a binge when they can finally let loose. And alcohol causes the majority of A and E visits, ask any nurse. It's not just Aishling, alcohol lowers people's inhibitions and is very addictive. If you're the type who can stop after a few, and who never acts the maggot after too many then fair play to ya. But not everyone can.

She's not a monster just because she can't handle the poison that we as a nation inexplicably continue to base our entire culture on, despite the fact it ruins families and communities and is a factor in huge amounts of suicides, assaults, road deaths etc.

Fair point but the fawning over her should stop so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

In fairness the drink has it's issues but this is a bit extreme. All my family and friends like a drink apart from those who don't. **** happens when your pissed but it is hardly dystopic in nature.

Everything else you have said I agree with. In particular I find it excruciating when online warriors hit the keyboards to lash out at people receiving light sentences or other unbalanced arguments. More often than not these threads turn into a mile high pile of bile, too many posters take the opportunity to lash out and start shaming whoever is involved.

She did her crime and now she takes her punishment. If you don't agree with the leniency you need to take it up with the Irish Justice system, not Aisling Thompson.

Was a YouTube interview gong around during lockdown...she doesnt even say she is sorry or regrets it in it
    Are Redbull still employing her?

Just reading in Today's paper an interview with this girl.

I don't get it. Maybe I missed it but not once in the interview does she apologise for the assault but only talks about how it affected her.

She endured nothing from what I can see. Once she's paid the 6 grand it's forgotten about.

Nothing against the girl and I hope she gets on with her life but she only talks about how it has affected her.
    Thoughts.

No wonder were ****ed as a society

This is a YouTube interview she did just before lockdown
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpjLsPWl5WA

Doesnt say sorry or regrets it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

How many times will she say, "do ya know, but like, like"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

wow.....

I ….I ….I …. I
    Me ...me ….me... me …

wow.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

greenspurs wrote: »
    wow.....

I ….I ….I …. I
    Me ...me ….me... me …

wow.

Did she Captain her county by any chance ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

If a man did that you could be guaranteed he'd no longer be employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

cj maxx wrote: »
    Did she Captain her county by any chance ?

I got about 2 minutes into that interview and that was even too long, she strikes me as someone with delusions of grandeur.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I am still deeply in love with her, but the me me me in that video would be a bit off putting.

I might write her a few more letters and let her know. Maybe a few more bouquets also, she does be tardy enough about sending a thankyou back, like.

Advertisement