Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 148th Open at Royal Portrush

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,900 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well it is not as good as the Mullingar Scratch Cup......?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1153280394193723392

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Does anyone know why they dont present the second with a shield type thing on the 18th anymore?

I had thought that they usually do that. Was wondering why Fleetwood wasnt out there.

Yeah, thought the low amateur used to get their prize too, no idea why they cut it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Royal Portrush online shop
    "As hosts of The 148th Open we are experiencing a major increase in our online orders and therefore it is inevitable that shipping will be delayed throughout July and August. Please note that there will be no shipping during the week of The Championship. We apologise for the inconvenience."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

slave1 wrote: »
    Yeah, thought the low amateur used to get their prize too, no idea why they cut it out

No amateur made the cut so no silver medal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

When exactly does the qualification period for the 2020 Ryder Cup start? At the start of next season or earlier than that? Whenever it is Lowry will surely finally make an appearance in the Cup.

I now see that, as far as European players are concerned, it will be the BMW Championship in September this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,893 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well it is not as good as the Mullingar Scratch Cup......?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1153280394193723392

You gotta love grannies! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

When exactly does the qualification period for the 2020 Ryder Cup start? At the start of next season or earlier than that? Whenever it is Lowry will surely finally make an appearance in the Cup.

I now see that, as far as European players are concerned, it will be the BMW Championship in September this year.

Having a guaranteed start in all the majors and probably the WGC events should give him a good chance of qualifying, but barring an alarming drop in form (like Willet had) I'd say he would be a good shout for a pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,900 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You gotta love grannies! :)

She seems like a very funny laid back woman.
    There was another bit on RTE where they asked Lowry's parents where he got the temperament to play under pressure like that.
    They decided that he took after his Granny!
    I can see why now!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

What a great few days, unbelievable stuff. Was on fairway when everyone ran down the 18th and it was mental. Probably slightly dangerous at one point but marshalls did a great job. The set up was incredible I have to say, everything you needed only negative was when people were leaving I think there was room for a better system, some pretty peeved off individuals yesterday and things got heated with some.

Seen someone ask where the golfers stayed earlier, they were all over the place to be honest. Rose was in Portstewart while Holmes was in apartment block right next door to the course. Woods stayed in Ballycastle according to some, god knows there is plenty of houses to rent up here.

When he was walking down the 18th it was just unbelievable my good god. The crowds chanting his name and Ole Ole being roared, just class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

10 of the last 50 major winners born on this Island, some strike rate considering only 1 ever before that. Golf much more of a worldwide sport now also. 5 golfers as well showing it's no fluke. GUI must be getting something right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Looks like he has gone on a massive bender, he'll probably surface wed or Thurs in clara

Has he withdrawn from this weeks WGC in Memphis?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Speak Now wrote: »
    Has he withdrawn from this weeks WGC in Memphis?

Yes

He's still in the field listing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Speak Now wrote: »
    10 of the last 50 major winners born on this Island, some strike rate considering only 1 ever before that. Golf much more of a worldwide sport now also. 5 golfers as well showing it's no fluke. GUI must be getting something right.

Who was the one before that?

He's still in the field listing...

Presumably it hasn`t been officially confirmed or updated yet.

• Advertisement

etxp wrote: »
    Who was the one before that?

Fred Daly. Open champion in 1947.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Presumably it hasn`t been officially confirmed or updated yet.

Homecoming in Clara tomorrow so presume website has just not been updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

if it is in Ireland. Esker hills all the way.
    Ha, there'd be more than John Daly looking for a caddy car.

Is he the obvious choice now to host the Irish open next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Absolutely not

It needed the high profile name of Rory to be reestablished. Last thing Shane needs is to host an event with no date at a time he will be trying to qualify for his first Ryder Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Seen someone ask where the golfers stayed earlier, they were all over the place to be honest. Rose was in Portstewart while Holmes was in apartment block right next door to the course. Woods stayed in Ballycastle according to some, god knows there is plenty of houses to rent up here.

I heard Tiger was staying in Troon...at least on the practice days...20 mins by chopper

GreeBo wrote: »
    I heard Tiger was staying in Troon...at least on the practice days...20 mins by chopper

Yes I heard that also. Might have found the north coast rentals too much :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭techdiver

The set up was incredible I have to say, everything you needed only negative was when people were leaving I think there was room for a better system, some pretty peeved off individuals yesterday and things got heated with some.

Completely agree. It was a complete shambles! It left a sour taste in a lot of mouths. Why couldn't they didn't just close the roads for 1 hour after? Everything else was top class except for that.

techdiver wrote: »
    Completely agree. It was a complete shambles! It left a sour taste in a lot of mouths. Why couldn't they didn't just close the roads for 1 hour after? Everything else was top class except for that.

Yeah lots were complaining about it. I saw some people absolutely tear into police and stewards about it. Some were queuing for over an hour to leave.

I thought the exact same, why not just have road closed from 6pm to 7? My only thinking is that they were worried about crowds at bus and trains and was perhaps easier to control people in venue then the stations?

Set up aside was incredible, me and my mates started laughing how good it was, you went over a couple of hills, round a path or two and next thing there was a little spectator village with all you needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

I'd say GMac will do it.

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    I'd say GMac will do it.

Will be a long spin up north somewhere if he does :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭techdiver

Yeah lots were complaining about it. I saw some people absolutely tear into police and stewards about it. Some were queuing for over an hour to leave.

I thought the exact same, why not just have road closed from 6pm to 7? My only thinking is that they were worried about crowds at bus and trains and was perhaps easier to control people in venue then the stations?

Set up aside was incredible, me and my mates started laughing how good it was, you went over a couple of hills, round a path or two and next thing there was a little spectator village with all you needed.

I was one of the people who were over an hour trying to leave. The mood in the crowd started to turn nasty at times. It's definitely something they will/should address if they are to hold it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

what was the general price of stuff.

you know how in Ireland you are robbed blind for food and drink.

hear the The Masters is classy that way

The Open ?

The Open ?

For pints of Heineken we were paying £5 pound a pop, Murphys was 5.50 and a g&t was around 6.50 (I think).

Burger and chips was £11, burger alone was £9. Think I paid around £9 for goujons and chips but was not paying loads of attention. Tea was around 2.50 at the stall we stopped at. God knows needed a hot cup of tea on Sunday.

Water was sold in a reusable container. Was £4.50 for the canister and then you could just refill it using stations that were located all over the place. Did not go into the shop myself as there was queue. Programmes were a tenner and public transport from nearby towns such as portstewart/coleraine via bus was between £2.50 to £4 return.

I had the Burger n Chips and it was very nice indeed so worth the cash, you could fill your own water bottle for free.
    Hugo Boss stuff in the main shop was expensive as be jazuz as was all the stuff there, I just walked through and bought nothing

• Advertisement

I had the Burger n Chips and it was very nice indeed so worth the cash, you could fill your own water bottle for free.
    Hugo Boss stuff in the main shop was expensive as be jazuz as was all the stuff there, I just walked through and bought nothing

Burger was decent indeed. Some of the marshall/steward gear was lovely, the green Hugo Boss jackets were nice but can imagine the price of them in the shop.

The Open ?
    Scampi (or cod) and chips GBP 11.00
    Chips GBP 3.00
    Bottle of diet coke GBP 2.10.
    Danish pastry was GBP 2.00 (?)

I bought a few souvenirs in the Open shop.
    Baseball caps GBP 25.00 (I bought a navy and a yellow).
    Metal disks with "The Open 148th Royal Portrush" GBP 8.00
    (they are the exact size as a poker chip and I will use them as a card protector when playing poker. I bought three)
    Tervis ("The Original Insulated Drinkware since 1946") clear double skinned insulated 16oz tumbler (pint size) with a cloth yellow Open flag 2.5" x 1.5" between the inner and outer plastic walls GBP 20.00
    I did not buy clothing.
    The income goes to the R&A so although a bit pricey you will forget the cost.

I heard on the radio that they sold more in the Open shop on the practice days at Portrush than they sold in the week at Carnoustie in 2018.
    If ever there was an incentive for the R&A to come back to Portrush it is the immediate sell out of all tickets, a bumper week in the Open shop, and the great golf course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Burger was decent indeed. Some of the marshall/steward gear was lovely, the green Hugo Boss jackets were nice but can imagine the price of them in the shop.

Man, my burger on Wednesday was gross. Hard, dry and tasteless...and it was pouring rain and cold at the time so I would have eaten anything!

I got a nice wooly hat and a divot tool, hat for warmth on the day and divot tool as a souvenir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Mastercard tent was decent for the freebies (anyone with a Mastercard could get in).

Ended up with a dozen Callaway balls branded with Open logo (and Mastercard logo) and a cap each for myself and herself.

The caps were identical to ones on sale in the shop - just with a small Mastercard logo on one side.

The £4.50 water bottles were probably the best value in the place. Decent souvenir to have, and if buying water from concessions you'd have spent a lot more than that over a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I spent nearly €100 in the shop an basically got feck all. - in fairness though it was all I had to spend as I was on a freebie day out, ticket in, lunch, few drinks and transport up and down.

Fridge magnet (large and a small one), we collect them wherever we go - and another large one for my old man!
    a big bouncy golf ball
    a golf towel
    2 programs

burger was gorgeous, they must have been warned that Greebo was on his way for food and ramped up the burners ;)

got a free water bottle, they are cool. barman gave it to me, he had a heap of them left behind.

got a free putting lesson (It's working - thank F!!!!)
    got a 4 free Loch Lomond whiskey's...… full glasses, tasting session. one of them was £160 a bottle, other was £85 and last was £48. very nice indeed.

Didi anyone have the Whiskey cocktails? the middle one was fantastic, I want more of it!

Oh and I bought 2 ice creams from a van around. £3.50 I think it was for a 99, so not cheap

blackwhite wrote: »
    Mastercard tent was decent for the freebies (anyone with a Mastercard could get in).

Ended up with a dozen Callaway balls branded with Open logo (and Mastercard logo) and a cap each for myself and herself.

The caps were identical to ones on sale in the shop - just with a small Mastercard logo on one side.

damn, I missed that.... :(
    where was it?
    you got all that free or discounted?

Seve OB wrote: »
    where was it?

I cannot believe I missed that too. I just assumed it was some corporate invite only set up, my god.

where was it?

In the tented village between 18th Grandstands and the practice range - next door to the Loch Lomond whisky tent.

All freebies. They had a VR putting game that they handed out balls for playing, and then a 3 part Mastercard tech demo showing new innovations they have developed with more balls being handed out for each demo, and a hat each for sitting through all 3 (took approx 10 min in total).

The hats seems to be Sunday morning only, as they weren't there on Saturday.

Scampi (or cod) and chips GBP 11.00
    Chips GBP 3.00
    Bottle of diet coke GBP 2.10.
    Danish pastry was GBP 2.00 (?)

I bought a few souvenirs in the Open shop.
    Baseball caps GBP 25.00 (I bought a navy and a yellow).
    Metal disks with "The Open 148th Royal Portrush" GBP 8.00
    (they are the exact size as a poker chip and I will use them as a card protector when playing poker. I bought three)
    Tervis ("The Original Insulated Drinkware since 1946") clear double skinned insulated 16oz tumbler (pint size) with a cloth yellow Open flag 2.5" x 1.5" between the inner and outer plastic walls GBP 20.00
    I did not buy clothing.
    The income goes to the R&A so although a bit pricey you will forget the cost.

I heard on the radio that they sold more in the Open shop on the practice days at Portrush than they sold in the week at Carnoustie in 2018.
    If ever there was an incentive for the R&A to come back to Portrush it is the immediate sell out of all tickets, a bumper week in the Open shop, and the great golf course.

I know someone that worked in the merchandise shop and by Wednesday I think they had to get a shipment over form the UK for more gear as they were running out. Said it was crazy busy on the practice days.

• Advertisement

In the tented village between 18th Grandstands and the practice range - next door to the Loch Lomond whisky tent.

All freebies. They had a VR putting game that they handed out balls for playing, and then a 3 part Mastercard tech demo showing new innovations they have developed with more balls being handed out for each demo, and a hat each for sitting through all 3 (took approx 10 min in total).

jaysus, I must have had my eyes closed passing that. I was in the HSBC one alright. possible that wasn't there on Tuesday?

I know someone that worked in the merchandise shop and by Wednesday I think they had to get a shipment over form the UK for more gear as they were running out. Said it was crazy busy on the practice days.

Reading that type of stuff makes a sooner than later return for the Open more believable doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

So by the sounds . everyone would go again ?

A bit mad i didnt go myself, combination of work , leave , wanted to be near course and that looked unrealistic when I looked.

one of the lads here camped. Dont know how that went in that rain ?

looks like a massive success. Could become the Glastonbury of golf for Southerners.

jaysus, I must have had my eyes closed passing that. I was in the HSBC one alright. possible that wasn't there on Tuesday?

Doubt it - they had an upstairs area that they were closing off for various events and this one was Weds - so guessing it was there on Tuesday also.

So by the sounds . everyone would go again ?

A bit mad i didnt go myself, combination of work , leave , wanted to be near course and that looked unrealistic when I looked.

one of the lads here camped. Dont know how that went in that rain ?

looks like a massive success. Could become the Glastonbury of golf for Southerners.

It was brilliant, weather really helped too and it can be hit or miss on the north coast for weather. The only two recommendations I would have is to sort out the exit system and have longer serving hours after the final game. Serving ended 30 mins after, perhaps bring it to an hour or so.

Makes hanging around after a bit easier and would stagger the crowd leaving as opposed to what happened Sunday. Counter argument is no one would leave I suppose :pac:

Now you tell me. :mad: :pac:

I forgot to say you got a 10% discount on scampi and chips (or whatever food you bought) if you paid by Mastercard.

• Advertisement

was meant to be going on the Saturday but couldn't go in the end, my plan was to go into all these tents as I just wanted to watch the golf on Friday. Didn't think there would be that many freebies though :( were they good balls or warbirds?

was meant to be going on the Saturday but couldn't go in the end, my plan was to go into all these tents as I just wanted to watch the golf on Friday. Didn't think there would be that many freebies though :( were they good balls or warbirds?

Warbirds - but for a souvenir, or handy gift for kids, they do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

A roaring success, was up there on the friday, stayed in belfast two nights, some buzz around the place.

Great to say I was there when an Irish man won the Open on home soil!!

kopkidda wrote: »
    A roaring success, was up there on the friday, stayed in belfast two nights, some buzz around the place.

Great to say I was there when an Irish man won the Open on home soil!!

How did you get over and back from Belfast if you dont mind me asking? Was wondering was the trains were like etc.

I stayed in Dundalk and drove up and back each day, about two hours.
    If I was going again I would stay in Belfast and go to Portrush by train (station close to the course, slightly further away than where the Park and Ride buses drop you).
    On Friday night I drove back to Dublin for a few hours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement