Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are your thoughts on the Ian Wright/Patrick O'Brien situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Saying you forgive someone and coming back saying they haven't been punished harshly enough makes it look like the "forgiveness" was just for PR. If you don't forgive them, fine, stick to your guns and say you want to go through the trial and see them punished. But don't try to look forgiving if you're not.

No it doesnt.

It means you forgive them.

It doesnt mean you think they should not be punished for it. Two different things.

Would the same apply in a murder trial?

The parents of the victim say they forgive the killer. Will the judge say, thats grand so, out you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

In my opinion Patrick O'Brien made a racist statement and the Judge let him off the hook. Am absolutely disgraceful situation. He's a young adult not a 12 year old kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Would the “outcome” have been different if Wrighty had forgiven the perpetrator after the trial?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

is_that_so wrote: »
    It certainly makes people say very stupid things and often reach for angry childish insults they think are likely to offend or hurt people. It is unacceptable behaviour but not evidence on its own that it exists in RL.

I suppose forgiveness has to be asked for at times
    https://www.thefreelibrary.com/MY+SHAME%3B+Wright+sorry+for+%60pervert%27+slur.-a061304416

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

To a large extent this has nothing to do with Ian Wright. His "forgiveness" is of no relevance. It's bigger than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

is_that_so wrote: »
    It certainly makes people say very stupid things and often reach for angry childish insults they think are likely to offend or hurt people. It is unacceptable behaviour but not evidence on its own that it exists in RL.

He sent racist messages to Ian wright in real life, he didn't shout racist messages at the Ian wright sprite on his TV in the game. What part of sending racist messages to a real person isn't real life? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    So its a punishment now that people know he did it.

TBH it was the judges commentary as much as the sentence that annoyed me.

If you stab someone, can a judge give you leniency for being 'young and naive'?

Why is this different.

Regarding the sentence, my only words of explanation would be that its consistent with many other serious crimes that have resulted in suspended sentences.

I said that the sentence was a bit lenient.

His name being out there is a passive punishment. And I have no sympathy for him.

Personally, I’d consider a stabbing more serious because the victim would be very lucky to not have physical side effects stemming from it from it for the rest of their life as well as the emotional trauma. I don’t consider them the same, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

on the scale of things I'd rate a serial bike thief worse than what I will call a mistake this lad made. I dont get the whole puritan head on a stick attitude though, its just a classic manufactured outrage story and people are playing their parts.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Can't you have it removed from google.

I had something with my name on it removed from a google search before. There was a bit of a process. Mine wasn’t crime related so I succeeded but there was no guarantee when I submitted the request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

So its a punishment now that people know he did it.

TBH it was the judges commentary as much as the sentence that annoyed me.

Why is this different.

Regarding the sentence, my only words of explanation would be that its consistent with many other serious crimes that have resulted in suspended sentences.

How is it a serious crime? At worst someone could of had their feelings hurt. It can't be compared to robbery, rape or murder. Not rationally at least. You're just being dramatic for the sake of it.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

silverharp wrote: »
    on the scale of things I'd rate a serial bike thief worse than what I will call a mistake this lad made. I dont get the whole puritan head on a stick attitude though, its just a classic manufactured outrage story and people are playing their parts.

It was racism not a mistake.
    I can agree that on a scale of criminal activity it is at the very low end but it is racism not a mistake.

Why is this different.

TBF, it is a bit different.

Sticking a knife in someone should and is treated differently from Tweeting racist abuse at someone.

Tis on Last Word now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Yeah seems an ok interpretation to me

Wonderful, you completely ignored the rest of my post and removed the context that statement was made within.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It was racism not a mistake.
    I can agree that on a scale of criminal activity it is at the very low end but it is racism not a mistake.

why not both? Ill assume he isnt a member of the local KKK or hasnt burned out any immigrants living in Kerry or that there is any evidence that he was embarking on his own online race war?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I had something with my name on it removed from a google search before. There was a bit of a process. Mine wasn’t crime related so I succeeded but there was no guarantee when I submitted the request.

Read up a bit there, with convictions it’s hard as google argue public interest. This lad wasn’t convicted so will be able to have his name removed. He’s off scot free.

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    why not both? Ill assume he isnt a member of the local KKK or hasnt burned out any immigrants living in Kerry or that there is any evidence that he was embarking on his own online race war?

So as long as i don't racially attack someone, its ok for me to racially abuse them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The oddest thing is how could a teenager living in a place that would only have a few black people developed such racist, ideas, and beliefs and then decide to target an English footballer with them someone he never met and was unlikely to ever meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He sent racist messages to Ian wright in real life, he didn't shout racist messages at the Ian wright sprite on his TV in the game. What part of sending racist messages to a real person isn't real life? :confused:
    You'd be surprised how many think they are completely separate! As I said he shouldn't be doing it but the case has now been resolved.

mariaalice wrote: »
    The oddest thing is how could a teenager living in a place that would only have a few black people developed such racist, ideas, and beliefs and then decide to target an English footballer with them someone he never met and was unlikely to ever meet.

Because there is an undercurrent of low level racism that is quite acceptable in much of Irish society.
    Incidents like this show it up. Many posters in this thread have tried to excuse it and try to talk around the subject rather than admit that what happened here was a racist incident.
    He could have sent messages to Ian wright saying he is a bad footballer. That would have been abuse and still wrong over a computer game sprite but instead he sent racist abuse and now we have so many people in this thread who try to talk around that fact.
    Sending Ian wright abusive messages over a computer game would have been a stupid mistake this was racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

A group of men were apparently interfering with the cameramen trying to film the scrote as he attended court.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/camera-crews-targeted-in-tralee-at-ian-wright-abuse-case-1075928.html

Have a funny feeling this won't be the last we hear of Mr.OBrien.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

coinop wrote: »
    ^^^ This guy gets it.
    If his target was wearing glasses, he would call him four eyes.
    If his target had acne, he would call him pizza face.
    His target in this case was black so he called him a monkey.
    The young lad is obviously a twat but the mob condemning racism as the worst possible crime ever need to get a grip. Is bullying a ginger a lesser crime than bullying an African?

He wished death on him because of his skin colour. You really cant excuse that away and pretend its not racism with ridiculously stupid ginger whataboutery..

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    What a waste of time. For everyone.

What was Wright expecting? A custodial sentence for an 18 year kid for shooting his mouth on Instagram?

The dude was very rude.... and certainly very bold.... but I doubt Wright was up all night scared for his life or anything. Granted that the kid was very racist, but come on, sticks and stones might break my bones?

And yes I read the messages..... how utterly shocking ..... and disgusting.

But I am sure Wright heard it all before. Shame on him, wishing prison on an immature kid for shooting his mouth off.

Shame on Ian Wright? Seriously? That really is disgusting victim blaming.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Site Banned Posts: 68 ✭✭Shane Driscoll

That's the magic of the internet!

Another sad byproduct of an angry young man playing games and living his life “online”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

tdf7187 wrote: »
    This Ian Wright character strikes me as a very unforgiving type. He claims to have suffered racist abuse non-stop all his life. Even if that's true, which I doubt, he cannot put all the blame on one young adult who made a fool of himself on social media over a relatively brief period of time, and put his hands up and acknowledged he was in the wrong - as the court system has, quite properly, taken allowance of, along with the youth of the perpetrator.

Made a fool of himself? He made racist death threats.

Terry Pratchet

Another sad byproduct of an angry young man playing games and living his life “online”.

Mate you've got thousands of posts on Boards.ie!

People in glasshouse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Indeed, because there was no racism till the internet arrived.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I think back to some of the things I said when I was a teenager.
    I never really meant any of it. I just said it for shock value.
    Id be inclined to give the kid a pass on this and say, dont do it again. Pretty sure he wont.

Did you ever racially abuse someone and send them death threats?

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

I've always liked Ian, I have his autobiography from years ago. What the kid sent him was horrible.

I don't get the complaints about the sentencing from people though. The sentence needs to be taken in the context of the Irish legal system, and it isn't any surprise. Far worse crimes are committed and get similar sentences on a daily basis.Remember the acid attack that wasn't even brought to court?

Mate you've got thousands of posts on Boards.ie!

People in glasshouse...

Hi Shane, I don’t believe we’ve met. Or have we?

I post about 6, or 7, times, on average, in a day. Most of those would have occurred between the “working hours” of 9-5. Obviously, the current situation has affected that somewhat but none of us are “unscathed”.

But this isn’t about me. And I don’t play computer games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Patrick O’Brien should have been made to wear a sign in Harlem that says ‘I HATE Ni**ERS!!!!!!!!’

Hi Shane, I don’t believe we’ve met. Or have we?

I post about 6, or 7, times, on average, in a day. Most of those would have occurred between the “working hours” of 9-5. Obviously, the current situation has affected that somewhat but none of us are “unscathed”.

But this isn’t about me. And I don’t play computer games.

Just saying, ya shouldn't be slagging some young lad for "living his life online' when ya obviously spend a great deal of time online yourself!

I seen De Sondy the UCC lecturer on Newstalk saying racism is akin to physical violence, which is absurd. Anyone sane can see how ridiculous such commentary is.

This comes back to the fact that this country cannot even punish and imprison those who commit serious violent crimes and repeat offenders with hundreds of convictions. Prisons are full. So expecting offensive social media posts to be harshly punished is fruitless.

That said some community service probably would have been in order but it's probably not even happening anymore due to Covid lockdown.

Patrick O’Brien should have been made to wear a sign in Harlem that says ‘I HATE Ni**ERS!!!!!!!!’

Thank for saving my ass Jesus!

Jesoos? Who da **** are you callin Jesoos you pasty ass motha****a? Do I look like some kind of spic ass motha****a to you? He said 'Hey Zeus'!*

*the actual scene may differ, haven't that movie in a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

2ndcoming wrote: »
    No, he tweeted disgraceful racist abuse to Ian Wright himself via twitter, who saw it, made a complaint to the police, and it has now been acted upon.

You can say whatever you want to computer game characters, although if you're saying anything like this kid did you'd probably want to take a look at yourself.

Not condoning the comments one nano second but seems to me he lost at a computer game where “Ian Wright” was on his team - this led to his comments.

Not excusing them but it was in very specific circumstances that he made those comments.

Just saying, ya shouldn't be slagging some young lad for "living his life online' when ya obviously spend a great deal of time online yourself!

I wasn’t “slagging” anyone. I merely pointed out that men, young and old, who play games all day and live their lives “online” tend to be, incredibly, angry people.

I’m not sure how long it takes you to post on here but I would say that I would probably spend the same amount of time online, possibly less even, than the “average” normal, non-gamer, adult.

I wasn’t “slagging” anyone. I merely pointed out that men, young and old, who play games all day and live their lives “online” tend to be, incredibly, angry people.

I’m not sure how long it takes you to post on here but I would say that I would probably spend the same amount of time online, possibly less even, than the “average” normal, non-gamer, adult.

Sure. And you spend the rest of your day doing normal adult things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Well he's fcuked now, any search of his name will link back to this incident so it will follow him for the rest of his life.

I hope poor Ian will finally be able to sleep at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Ian Wright mocked Roy Keane's accent on live TV in front of millions of viewers. Hopefully he learned a lesson of his own through this. 18 or 19 years old is old enough to know better and so is 57.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Well he's fcuked now, any search of his name will link back to this incident so it will follow him for the rest of his life.

I hope poor Ian will finally be able to sleep at night.

His name is so common there must be thousands of people in Ireland with the exact same name. It probably won't affect him outside local area.

And there's ways now to get your name removed from search engines regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just as a comparison the UK Crown Prosecution Service have sentencing guidelines on conviction for
    s.18 - using threatening/abusive/insulting words or behaviour or displaying written material with intent/likely to stir up racial hatred

Maximum penalty for this in the Magistrates' court is 6 months imprisonment. They do suspended sentences over there too and a first time offender of the above would be given one and not serve time unless it was other offences like assault on top. But they would be unlikely to get away altogether without a conviction. Its the minimum Ian Wright would have been hoping for, have to say I would agree with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Someone said he's a traveller. If true it's not like he has to worry about getting a job or anything

Just as an aside... whenever we see high profile cases involving travellers, there is almost always a posse of family accompanying the accused for moral support shall we say.
    For any and all televised court appearances over the last year it was just 2 people Patrick & his mother

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just as a comparison the UK Crown Prosecution Service have sentencing guidelines on conviction for
    s.18 - using threatening/abusive/insulting words or behaviour or displaying written material with intent/likely to stir up racial hatred

Maximum penalty for this in the Magistrates' court is 6 months imprisonment. They do suspended sentences over there too and a first time offender of the above would be given one and not serve time unless it was other offences like assault on top. But they would be unlikely to get away altogether without a conviction. Its the minimum Ian Wright would have been hoping for, have to say I would agree with him.

Yeah. I agree. I think 1 months prison for this would be perfectly reasonable.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Sure. And you spend the rest of your day doing normal adult things.
    Someone said he's a traveller. If true it's not like he has to worry about getting a job or anything

Mod

Don't post in this thread again.

None of your posts here are in anyway done in good faith.

°°°°°

Yeah. I agree. I think 1 months prison for this would be perfectly reasonable.

It isn't.

We can't send violent criminals to prison in this country never mind teenage boys calling people names on the Internet.

The taxpayer is supposed to foot the bill every time an idiot spouts some racist nonsense online?

We don't have the capacity in our prisons to even entertain this but yeah send him to prison to satiate the needs of some people on the Internet.

Before anyone says it, I'm not defending the guy, what he did was wrong, but a bit of perspective is required.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Ian Wright mocked Roy Keane's accent on live TV in front of millions of viewers. Hopefully he learned a lesson of his own through this. 18 or 19 years old is old enough to know better and so is 57.

We all know anti Irish abuse is perfectly acceptable.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    It isn't.

We can't send violent criminals to prison in this country never mind teenage boys calling people names on the Internet.

The taxpayer is supposed to foot the bill every time an idiot spouts some racist nonsense online?

We don't have the capacity in our prisons to even entertain this but yeah send him to prison to satiate the needs of some people on the Internet.

Before anyone says it, I'm not defending the guy, what he did was wrong, but a bit of perspective is required.

Your points dont make sense
    A) we never argue in other cases about the taxpayer paying etc so not sure why thats relevant
    B) you seem to be minimising the issue as a throwaway comment with no victims involved; Ian Wright is a victim here of a serious death threat
    C) the internet is real life; a real persons life was threatened because of the colour of their skin; this isnt about satiating peoples needs - it is about addressing real life serious issues where people are sent death threats and targeted racially.

Terry Pratchet

A serious death threat? Hyperbole much. There was no serious death threat or charge relating.

°°°°°

Your points dont make sense
    A) we never argue in other cases about the taxpayer paying etc so not sure why thats relevant
    B) you seem to be minimising the issue as a throwaway comment with no victims involved; Ian Wright is a victim here of a serious death threat
    C) the internet is real life; a real persons life was threatened because of the colour of their skin; this isnt about satiating peoples needs - it is about addressing real life serious issues where people are sent death threats and targeted racially.

My points don't make sense?

Do you believe some stupid kid making racist remarks should be locked up before the scores of violent offenders who receive suspended sentences from our judicial system?

I never minimized the issue in any way. I stated that what happened was wrong but not as serious as other cases brought before the courts in Ireland.

It's clear that you have no idea what you're talking about in relation to sentencing. There are plenty of cases where more substantive threats are made to people in person where the defendants walk away with a Slap on the wrist or less.

If you had the first notion of how the Irish legal system works you would know why I said expecting the young man in question to receive a custodial sentence is demonstrably unrealistic.

Does he morally deserve to be locked up? Yes.
    Are there more egregious cases before the courts that are more deserving of custodial sentences that also see the defendants walking away to walk our streets? Definitely.
    That's why locking him up is a nett loss to the Irish taxpayer, we simply get more value for locking up those more deserving of being locked up.

That's the perspective you need to consider.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

It's odd but it's not surprising. Trump and Le Pen get the majority of their votes from countryside people. You would think people living in Paris and London would be rabidly anti-Muslim after all of the terror attacks and despise Sadiq Khan for trying to normalise it with statements like "part and parcel of living in a big city", but cities are full of woke, college-educated people. Opinion polls show Khan will be reelected and Macron will win the majority Paris.

• Advertisement
Advertisement