Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUS Programme

Options
  • 16-08-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

MOD NOTE - Updated 24/02/2014
    Some posts on this thread are very close to breaking the forum charter (and in some cases are). Posters are reminded to read the forum charter to see what it acceptable or not.
    Also posters on this forum are not posting in any official capacity, and do not have to declare their positions (if any) when questioned on same,

This is a forum for people to ask for advice, and in some cases may be experiencing difficult personal circumstances. For some people JobBridge may be a good, and welcome choice for them. Thee is to be no more mention of JobBridge being a scam, fraud, etc (or any discussion among same lines). There may be a home for that kind of discussion on Boards.ie but it definitely isn't here.

Hi Had a letter from Social Protection inviting me to participate on a TUS Programme. I have done an internet search and there seems to be very little "chatter" about it from people who have been on it, does anyone have any experience of it? I know how much it pays and a broad idea of what type of jobs etc, but would like some first hand experience from people in the know. Sounds a bit like a CE Scheme.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ChaBB

I have an interview for this too, how did it go for you ?

anyone with any info, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

rsole1 wrote: »
    Hi Had a letter from Social Protection inviting me to participate on a TUS Programme. I have done an internet search and there seems to be very little "chatter" about it from people who have been on it, does anyone have any experience of it? I know how much it pays and a broad idea of what type of jobs etc, but would like some first hand experience from people in the know. Sounds a bit like a CE Scheme.

You can apply for CE. The selection process for this is however is random, run by DSP, so in effect, a lottery.You CANNOT currently apply for a placement.

Criteria for selection: 12mths consecutive unemployment and in receipt of JSA.

And entailing......
    19.5 hrs per week work.
    Work placement in local not for profit organisations.
    1year contract.
    Non-extendable.
    €20 topup on your current benefits plus potentially more (if you are currently means assessed, then you can add this figure on as extra income per week, for example)
    Retain all other current benefits (i.e rent allowance)
    Exempt from USC
    No more post office (for 1yr)*
    No more signing on in your DSP Office (for 1yr)*
    *or if you leave the program, whichever is first.
    You are free to take up other work in conjunction with the scheme
    5000 placement target countrywide since start of program last June.

This might fill in a few blanks for you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

ChaBB wrote: »
    I have an interview for this too, how did it go for you ?

anyone with any info, much appreciated.

I sent back the letter by the 16th August as stated, and as of yet not heard anything.

dodzy wrote: »
    You can apply for CE. The selection process for this is however is random, run by DSP, so in effect, a lottery.You CANNOT currently apply for a placement.

Criteria for selection: 12mths consecutive unemployment and in receipt of JSA.

And entailing......
    19.5 hrs per week work.
    Work placement in local not for profit organisations.
    1year contract.
    Non-extendable.
    €20 topup on your current benefits plus potentially more (if you are currently means assessed, then you can add this figure on as extra income per week, for example)
    Retain all other current benefits (i.e rent allowance)
    Exempt from USC
    No more post office (for 1yr)*
    No more signing on in your DSP Office (for 1yr)*
    *or if you leave the program, whichever is first.
    You are free to take up other work in conjunction with the scheme
    5000 placement target countrywide since start of program last June.

This might fill in a few blanks for you guys.

Thanks for all that Dodzy - but really looking for someone who has worked on this programme.

Have searched everywhere and only found one person who took a job in a charity shop after her fourth interview.

I sent back the letter by the 16th August as stated, and as of yet not heard anything.
    THe letter you received was first contact ( from DSP ). They will forward your acceptance to your LCDP and they will contact you again offering you an appointment date and time in their local office. That potentially could be the last dealing you will have with DSP for 12mths. Out of interest, what area do you live in ?

• Advertisement

THe letter you received was first contact ( from DSP ). They will forward your acceptance to your LCDP and they will contact you again offering you an appointment date and time in their local office. That potentially could be the last dealing you will have with DSP for 12mths. Out of interest, what area do you live in ?

Boyle, Co.Roscommon. I know they have 60 places for Ros County.

My worries are being forced to work in a charity shop.

Boyle, Co.Roscommon. I know they have 60 places for Ros County.

My worries are being forced to work in a charity shop.
    You cannot be forced to work in a charity shop. They should have options for you. That said, looks like all of roscommon's allocation is full, so basically new participants will be back-filling others who have either left their placement ( for whatever reason ) or have completed the year, so a good variety of options might not be possible

You can ask for a more suitable placement, examples such as :

Energy conservation work in homes and community buildings
    Social care of all age groups and people with disabilities
    Caretaking, securing, supervising of community buildings and spaces
    Renovation of community and sporting facilities, including the
    regeneration and enhancement of community, recreation and
    sporting spaces
    Work in support of cultural and heritage activities
    Community administration and community event management
    Coaching for sporting activities
    Repair of equipment for the Third World – for example, farm tools,
    bicycles, computers, sewing machines, health equipment

Obviously you might not get exactly what you are looking for but generally speaking, compromises will be reached.

You cannot be forced to work in a charity shop. They should have options for you. That said, looks like all of roscommon's allocation is full, so basically new participants will be back-filling others who have either left their placement ( for whatever reason ) or have completed the year, so a good variety of options might not be possible

You can ask for a more suitable placement, examples such as :

Energy conservation work in homes and community buildings
    Social care of all age groups and people with disabilities
    Caretaking, securing, supervising of community buildings and spaces
    Renovation of community and sporting facilities, including the
    regeneration and enhancement of community, recreation and
    sporting spaces
    Work in support of cultural and heritage activities
    Community administration and community event management
    Coaching for sporting activities
    Repair of equipment for the Third World – for example, farm tools,
    bicycles, computers, sewing machines, health equipment

Obviously you might not get exactly what you are looking for but generally speaking, compromises will be reached.

It could be Social Protection just sending out these letters in the hope that people refuse to take up the offer of work, so they can cut €44 a week from benefits.

It could be Social Protection just sending out these letters in the hope that people refuse to take up the offer of work, so they can cut €44 a week from benefits.
    There are people who, when they receive the initial letter from DSP, will sign off immediately, thus saving the state more than €44 p/week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Can you still look for full time work when on this, and then assuming you secure full time work, leave the placement?

Also peeved. I got the letter that said they'd pass me on to my local whatever, replied yes, today got a letter from the County Wicklow Partnership calling me for interview - in ARKLOW!! WTF Arklow is not my local. I live in Wicklow Town. I am now expected to get myself to Arklow for the interview, they are just assuming I have access to transport (cos the public transport from Wicklow to Arklow is the biggest pile of....). Also I worry that they will expect me to do my placement in Arklow, and fund myself getting down and back. Bollx to that

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

it is like a ce scheme youre right,its for those who havent been ever at lc or third level..

its a slave labour scheme,these decrepid agencies suck what could have been a paid job advertised.By any company signing up to TUS they are taking off what could have been a paid job advertised,bascially nullifying any chance of a real paid job.

What employer will turn around and start paying people with TUS in the way?

Another thing as well they get state paid pensions ,these junkets cost the state dearly and do nothing by way of giving back a tax paid job to govt back to the community - they are a waste they are junkets and should be shut down.

it is like a ce scheme youre right,its for those who havent been ever at lc or third level..

its a slave labour scheme,these decrepid agencies suck what could have been a paid job advertised.By any company signing up to TUS they are taking off what could have been a paid job advertised,bascially nullifying any chance of a real paid job.

Another thing as well they get state paid pensions ,these junkets cost the state dearly and do nothing by way of giving back a tax paid job to govt back to the community - they are a waste they are junkets and should be shut down.

It has nothing to do with whether you have been to college or whatnot. I have an LC, a Level 5 and a Level 6 so...

I was told by a source that TUS schemes are for those with less qualifications,okay so maybe i got it wrong..apologies..

I was told by a source that TUS schemes are for those with less qualifications,okay so maybe i got it wrong..apologies..

No problems. I wish it was. I don't want to have anything to do with it - I am trying to find a proper job on my own, but if I don't you can bet they'd be quick as a flash to cut me off

hdowney wrote: »
    Can you still look for full time work when on this, and then assuming you secure full time work, leave the placement?
    Yes, its encouraged. And you can do both, if you can work it to suit.
    Also peeved. I got the letter that said they'd pass me on to my local whatever, replied yes, today got a letter from the County Wicklow Partnership calling me for interview - in ARKLOW!! WTF Arklow is not my local. I live in Wicklow Town. I am now expected to get myself to Arklow for the interview, they are just assuming I have access to transport (cos the public transport from Wicklow to Arklow is the biggest pile of....). Also I worry that they will expect me to do my placement in Arklow, and fund myself getting down and back. Bollx to that
    That is a valid enough reason. You would not be expected to travel that distance. Being seriously out of pocket as a result of high travel expenses is a valid reason to refuse the placement offer and ask for an alternative.

Only a few posts in and gobsh1te comments already. Why am I not surprised. Get your facts right or GTFO.
    It has nothing to do with whether you have been to college or whatnot. I have an LC, a Level 5 and a Level 6 so...
    Absolutely correct. No discrimination in the selection process. It is a random selection.

re gob****e comment,you can get banned for insults..

Another thing,are you denying the fact that a. if a company signs up to TUS or FAS that it basically means an employer is getting free labour 2. What is the probability these employers will turn around and pay you?Highly doubful after getting free labour they are going to turn around and employ you. 3. It DOES nullify any chance of that position that could have been advertised as a paid job - it basically turns what could be a paid job into an unpaid job.

Anyway im done with this post,those are the facts - you dont have to like them.Whether you agree or disagree.

No problems. I wish it was. I don't want to have anything to do with it - I am trying to find a proper job on my own, but if I don't you can bet they'd be quick as a flash to cut me off
    Oh ya that is the problem people feel forced to go on them - anyway no harm to get a bit of experience anway if you can.But it doesnt guarantee paid work,its like the FAS ce trap im afraid.

I did a ce job for 2 years and an extra year,got a transfer to a different place and got a couple of extra months,it went ok,but it puts you on the unpaid jobs treadmill to nowhere,i found the whole thing very frustrating,i was with an asshole supervisor on my first fas job,and it was hell,and it needent have been,anyway she got complained to the local fas co ordinator at the fas centre by many,many different members of staff,including the company pay roll staff,and guess what she still wasnt fired..

These junkets should be wrapped up ,but im all for the experience of what you can put down on your cv..

re gob****e comment,you can get banned for insults..

Another thing,are you denying the fact that a. if a company signs up to TUS or FAS that it basically means an employer is getting free labour 2. What is the probability these employers will turn around and pay you?Highly doubful after getting free labour they are going to turn around and employ you. 3. It DOES nullify any chance of that position that could have been advertised as a paid job - it basically turns what could be a paid job into an unpaid job.

Anyway im done with this post,those are the facts - you dont have to like them.Whether you agree or disagree.

You are confusing Tús with Internships. Tús placements are only with Not-for-profit organisations. There can be no job displacement. There would not have been any paid jobs advertised in the absence of Tús placements.

You said in your last post that you "heard from a friend" and you "must have got it wrong"....and you were right. Apologies about the gob**** rant, just p1sses me off when posters rave off about topics without having the facts.

Tús placements are only with Not-for-profit organisations.

Im sorry,but there are not for profit social care jobs - that are as paid employment and advertised as such TUS and FAS placements occupy some of these roles as i have been on one in the past..

I know this from first hand experience,for my first year i did a social care assistant job,in a ''not for profit'' organisation that nets in a lot of money each year,they even have their own lottery,it was in rehab care they have rehab lottery.

They have had a lot of posts in the past advertised through fas,and occupied as ce schemes - if they didnt sign up with FAS,these could have been advertised as paid employment.

For anyone interested, or worried about the process,

Well I attended the TUS interview, you enter a conference room and sign in. The sign-in sheet was an A4 size sheet with a list of names, and id say when they started the presentation only half the sheet was signed, a good few didnt show up.

They were very sound people, they stated that they werent the dole office, only working for them, and to relax, although they would have no choice but to pass all the info on to the social welfare office.(bad thing for the peops who didnt show up i guess)

They basically give alittle talk at the start explaining all about the scheme, and made clear that it wasnt some displacement thing where private business's could take advantage and all that stuff.

After that, they took us one by one to the front of the conference room for an interview, i thought it was abit funny how they interview on front of everyone, but no biggy.

The whole thing lasted 2 to 3 hours, although had everyone showed up, would of been abit longer.
    No one left the place with any "work", but take down what youd be willing to do, and will be in contact later.

Dont worry anyone going in, the people interviewing were normal, very nice people, not robots like in the dole office.

• Advertisement

I would completely object to being interviewed infront of other people. What kinda questions did they ask?

Well I attended the TUS interview, you enter a conference room and sign in. The sign-in sheet was an A4 size sheet with a list of names, and id say when they started the presentation only half the sheet was signed, a good few didnt show up.

They were very sound people, they stated that they werent the dole office, only working for them, and to relax, although they would have no choice but to pass all the info on to the social welfare office.(bad thing for the peops who didnt show up i guess)

They basically give alittle talk at the start explaining all about the scheme, and made clear that it wasnt some displacement thing where private business's could take advantage and all that stuff.

After that, they took us one by one to the front of the conference room for an interview, i thought it was abit funny how they interview on front of everyone, but no biggy.

The whole thing lasted 2 to 3 hours, although had everyone showed up, would of been abit longer.
    No one left the place with any "work", but take down what youd be willing to do, and will be in contact later.

Dont worry anyone going in, the people interviewing were normal, very nice people, not robots like in the dole office.

Thanks for that Chabb. Was worried I'd be railroaded into working in a charity shop. I am a qualified Engineer. I can rest easy tonight, many thanks for your reply.

^
    No worries m8

@hdowney, just usual questions based on what you write on the form they give you, they go through the form and ask (based on what you wrote), would you be interested in this, would you be interested in that, if you say no, they offer something else, if you say no they ask what else would you be interested in... just what youd expect really. very sound, no pressure.

After the interview process starts, everyone else is just talking amongst themselfs. everyone in the room is in the same boat, dont worry.

Grand. I just don't want to be explaining why I don't wanna work with children in front of people. Means explaining health relatedness that I just don't like sharing in groups yakno

Did they write to you or telephone you for the interview? If they wrote did they give much advanced warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Zodiacc

Thanks ChaBB for that. I got a letter myself the other day and didnt know anything about it or whats involved. Did you get a placement yourself? if so how is it going for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dubgothic

Yes.I did TUS,as a "corrective scheme".
    You may be luckier than me.
    Otherwise:
    TUS puts people straight into a menial position.Respect is zero.
    Its only interesting to watch how quickly people become corrupted when they have "free workers".
    Under the guise of "It's official",anything is possible.
    I skipped it after two months with "employers" and the "social welfare" crowd behind it.
    Great wake up call!!!
    I allowed the Dole to make me even more stupid.

Still,I wonder why so little is being posted by TUS un/willing participants.
    Maybe it's great,and it's just me.
    Or we are not Greek,or Spanish,or awake.

dubgothic wrote: »
    Yes.I did TUS,as a "corrective scheme".
    You may be luckier than me.
    Otherwise:
    TUS puts people straight into a menial position.Respect is zero.
    Its only interesting to watch how quickly people become corrupted when they have "free workers".
    Under the guise of "It's official",anything is possible.
    I skipped it after two months with "employers" and the "social welfare" crowd behind it.
    Great wake up call!!!
    I allowed the Dole to make me even more stupid.

Still,I wonder why so little is being posted by TUS un/willing participants.
    Maybe it's great,and it's just me.
    Or we are not Greek,or Spanish,or awake.

Hi there, what do you mean "corrective scheme"?

Can you please explain how you got out of it , and did the dole cut your money?

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 dubgothic

Hi,
    You may play this out a lot better.I have used the situation to drive forward.Old news now.TUS maybe fun for you,nice employers,chance of a future job.

If it's any help,cliches apart-
    "Corrective scheme":
    I refused to sign the TUS form (no info,a nearly blank page) so my dole was stopped,or suspended for a few weeks,until I signed up.My behaviour was corrected.
    Next-
    Didn't realize I was effectively signing off the dole and joining a volunteer recruitment agency called PACT,who then take over.I wasn't happy with events after that.No interest from social welfare.
    In my case it was a bad match,ending in tea-making,cleaning,fetching,and topped by sneering staff.No proper complaints system either.The service cuts out after each step: social welfare/agency/employer.A maze with one way traps.Dole was refused,and I didn't pursue it.My problem anyway.
    "Skipped": left it,got out.I am relocating,so these are temporary measures.Luckily I am single,can do very casual work,not always have a regular income,and have work abroad.Not well paid,rough conditions,but better than this mess.And,like gypsies,I buy collectables when I have cash,so I always have something to sell.
    The TUS dole-breaker scheme is partly on the right track though.It's a yellow-alert.Yawn..here we go....
    The dole can be a bad system to get caught up in.Becoming an expert on one's social welfare rights (for a healthy,able-bodied person,and maybe even for less-abled folk) is dancing in a beggars-circle and never getting out of it.Time slips away.
    Put your focus on getting a source of income,legally,(although that hasn't stopped Banks etc) away from the dole.It's a reactive system,get-me-dole=do nothing.That's the conditioning.Shutdown.
    Active is : no-dole=massive-action.
    Spanish,Greek: would riot over a random forced labour scheme,and anyway,hordes of them head for the UK without even bothering with their own capital cities.
    For help with your TUS situation right now,maybe (it's still the system) get in touch with the Irish National Organisation of the Unemployed. www.inou.ie

Good Luck!

Advertisement